Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Potential Clay Coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
The Eagle has landed Wrote:Darth Vadar first off what is wrong with a coach making as much money as he can. Do business men make the most they can, do company owners? What is wrong with a man wanting to make money for his family? Just because a man goes into to coaching doesn't mean he is not entitled to make lots of money. And there are a lot of places in the south were the head ball coach (and in the south that is the football coach NOT the bball coach) makes 6 digits and doesn't teach any classes and if you don't believe it do some research on high school football coaches in the south. So just to clear that up. Clay Co. can get a very good coach, they have very good athletes and some tradition so no need to dog Manchester out. And if you want a quality coach in a lot of places in parts of our state where it isnt a big population (ie a city like Lexington, BG or Gtown) you are going to have to pay them to come there.

You are correct, several coaches in the south do make a great salary with a lot of bogus side jobs to boost that salary and also are assisted by booster clubs which isn't necessarily legal in our great bluegrass state. If businessmen want to make huge salaries they don't open up a mom and pop nickel and dime store, if coaches want to make a huge salary they don't set up shop in rural SEKY....
fan first Wrote:Any names of potential coaches that were in town today? TMZ or anybody

I heard Eddie Smith and DC Turner were both spotted in town today.. Don't know if there is any truth to this. Just word on the street in Corbin.
Should we be tracking planes or bondo ridden 4 wheel drives????
Tyler Kolver an assistant coach from London has expressed some interest.
The bogus job thing is not true a lot of those guys are also the AD. So they earn every bit of there money, a lot of long hours.
If I was Clay I would have someone camp out at Wayne Mills front door offering him the job every time he enter or leaves.
Clay can't afford another bad hire PERIOD!!!
The Eagle has landed Wrote:The bogus job thing is not true a lot of those guys are also the AD. So they earn every bit of there money, a lot of long hours.

It is true, alot of those guys are AD's, but I also know alot of guys that have other titles that add to their salary without really doing much, you're talking more about the exception than the rule for coaches in the south, sure there are some big time programs that put up big money in the south, but there are some have nots there to, and to think clay is going to put up that kind of money is absurd for almost any program in Ky.
Clay Co will get a good coach. Not looking for big time hire that is only wanting to pad their pockets. Looking for a guy who can rebuild the program and get players excited about playing for the Tigers.
Heard from a friend of someone important they have a few they are interested in and they are not from clay. Going to be interesting.
Well who are they and when are they going to start interviewing them?
They can stay local, hire an older guy that lacks in experience.
They can go out of county, hire an assistant that lacks experience or hire an older, middle of the road type of coach, that has had moderate success at best.
The next hire will come out of one of these categories. No Big Names are interested.
Call Wayne Mills!!!!!
Who are the big names I want to know? it's prolly between 3 people and they have no connections to here. I'm glad lol
Looks like all the talk about coaches that were in the mix was false because nobody knows who they are looking at or who they are going to interview. Clay administration keeping a tight lip
I've heard some people in the Manchester area say that its a done deal,That the Eddie Smith guy that used to be the highschool principal has been promised the job.Can't say for sure we all know how rumors are.
I heard or I was told bout makes us all second hand citizens lol.
A deal has been done but it won't be anyone from Clay. Why do you think everything has been keep so secretive they are going to get the best guy for the job
I agree with Mills being a good hire. Hope they don't get him, could really turn that program around. I have kids playing somewhere else! Smile
Mills has a job and no one has a deal so there
No deal has been done yet.
Who will make the final decision and when? I'm just looking forward to it.
Heard one of the candidates and a front runner doesn't work in Clay, but has ties to Clay from the past... Also lives in Clay.. Has played and coached all his life.. If he wants it I hope he gets it.. Really great guy..
I don't see it happening for him.
I just wish they would hire someone from a winning program even if it's an assistant. Knowing how to win and having a winning mentality goes a long way.
There are good and bad coaches at all programs, just because someone is at a "winning" program doesn't make them a good coach, or someone at a losing program makes them a "bad" coach. In high school football, and high school sports in general, especially at 90% of the schools in Ky. there are too many factors that are outside of the coaches control that determines wins and losses. Even some of the great ones have their ups and downs. At places that are consistent winners, they are going to continue to win regardless of coach. I am sure that several of us on here could coach Ft. Thomas to a title in most years, but I am going to go so far as to say that most guys coaching high school at "losing" programs know alot more than us.
You know what they say about excuses....Also Tell Dudley Hilton and the 1997 Bourbon county team that it has very little to do with who your coach is.

It may not matter who your coach is, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a captain at the helm that knows his way around a winning program.....
Excuses? Facts are NOT excuses my friend.
Did Mcnamee win as many at Pike Central as he does at Pikeville?
Did Maynard win as many at Greenup as he has at Raceland/Russell?
Did Dale Mueller win in Cincinnatti(actually had a losing record at one school there to the best of my knowledge :O) as he has at Ft. Thomas?
Matney sure wasn't winning at Sheldon Clark the way hes winning at JC.
Had some good years but also some dog years as well.
Why didn't Derossett take Betsy Layne to a title game?
Was Bob Beatty winning state titles nearly every year in Missouri?
Was Wallace winning as many at Warren Central as he has at BG?
Was Rick Wood going to state title games at Edmonson County?
Was Larry French winning state titles before he came to Boyle?
According to your logic Jenkins should have 0 excuses for losing to Pikeville... just doesnt add up. Dudley done a great job at Bourbon, but there was other factors as well that played into that situation. Even the ole Dud himself knew when it was time to slide right out of Bourbon. If you like 1/1,000 type of odds then sure your logic works, and we will just say that East Ridge, Jenkins, South Floyd, Allen Central, Phelps are all just a product of bad coaching with no other factors at all contributing to their success or lack thereof. When all things are equal, then coaching factors into the equation, talent wins out.
No Coach should never walking into a new job with a notebook full of reason he won't have a winning season, the negatives should never be mentioned, they are after all the white elephant in the room, everybody sees them. A good coach will come into a program and convince his kids they are the greatest thing since light bread, and the state championship is a lock.

Which brings up a good questions is a great coach part of the foundation of the program or the pretty fluff added at the end, where does it start.

I think it all starts with your captain, the right coach will lay the foundation brick by brick and create a program just the way Coaches like Mills did at Knox, Hilton did at Bell and Holcomb did at Breathitt.
Boys the bottom line is its about "jimmys and joes not x's and o's"!!!!! Ole dud is a good football coach but I promise you he had some players at Bourbon. A family moved in from Michigan that had 2 great players. There is an old saying being at the right place at the right time!!! ole dud sure didn't do to good at upike. Again there is no doubt he is a heck of a coach but nobody is Jesus except Jesus!!!! And oldtiger I agree with you no coach should talk about the negative stuff all the time but it does need to be addressed and overcome because it is a problem and you cant just ignore it. I have watched Clay over the years about 5 or 6 times and always thought they had good players so I think Clay can win so good luck to them and hope they find a coach that is both a winner and a very hard worker because that is what they need. Oh and by the way who is in the running? Any names?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29