Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County vs. Covington Catholic (Sweet 16 First Round)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Thoughts?
I believe this one will be closer than some may think.

Covington Catholic 56-49
Cov Cath by 12
Cc-11
I'm going to be a realistic sports fan and say Cov Cath takes this one in a closer than expected game by many. Statistically they seem a lot alike with Ruthsatz carrying most of their load. The Tigers will give it all they have and are playing exception team ball. This should be a dandy. If Clay does lose, they have absolutely nothing to hang their head about. If they were to win, then just wow. I would be lying if I said it wasn't cool that Trey is playing in house where his father's jersey hangs.

Cov Cath - 72
Clay County - 65
This is a really tough matchup for clay. I would have much rather had NCC. That being said if the boys play ball and Allen and Farmer play some defense this could be a dandy. I think the whole game hinges on whether Smith can keep Ruthsatz in check. He Dont have to shuthim down but has to stay out of foul trouble and contain him. This is a 7 pt game either way and I'm taking clay just cause that's what I do.:dontthink
Cov Cath will be a heavy favorite.
rojas Wrote:Cov Cath will be a heavy favorite.

Not around here
Clay by 9
:flame:
Count Wrote:Not around here
Clay by 9
:flame:

I'll take a piece of that action
rojas Wrote:Cov Cath will be a heavy favorite.

Not on my computer do the math :blondetea

Clay county 68
Cov Cath 64
Cov Cath by double digits
Cov Cath by 16
Don't know enough about Clay to make a call, but if CovCath hits it's shots, then no one can play with them.

They can't slow it down again like they did against Holmes if they get up.
Even as well as Clay is playing, the 13th Region has not been very strong the past few seasons. I'd like to see the Tigers make it a game, but I'm afraid Cov Cath will take this one easily.
TriCountySports Wrote:Even as well as Clay is playing, the 13th Region has not been very strong the past few seasons. I'd like to see the Tigers make it a game, but I'm afraid Cov Cath will take this one easily.

But I'm sure U think North or South could compete.
^^
Confusednicker:

The Tigers by 4!!!!!!
Heard barger and marsee was at cc today, any truth to that?
I'm telling u right now Clay can compete if they show up with a good defensive effort. Clay had Wayne county beat at Wayne until the refs took it from them. Had Lex-Cath beat for 3 1/2 quarters. Played within 2 pts of a top 5 team in Georgia. And they are playing their best ball right now. If they show up and 1 player wants to be the all star then it will be a long night. But if they play team ball and give good effort on D then it will be a barn burner. Good Luck Tigers, you are getting no respect, Now go defend your Legacy!!!:ChairHit:
If Cov Cath is a perimeter team, then this could go to the Tigers advantage. Clay Co. likes to beat you off the dribble and they have 3 kids who can get to the rim (McDaniel, Smith, and Wolf). Those first games seem to be difficult for teams who like to really live by the 3. The kids from Clay Co. has also played at Rupp, not sure when the last time Cov. Cath made the trip. I am going with the upset in this game.

Clay Co. 56
Cov. Cath- 52
TriCountySports Wrote:Even as well as Clay is playing, the 13th Region has not been very strong the past few seasons. I'd like to see the Tigers make it a game, but I'm afraid Cov Cath will take this one easily.
I can promise you that Cov Cath will be in for a fight unless we just don't guard the perimeter and they are making everything. Teams typically do not shoot well at Rupp and the Coach's son is going to try and fill it up. Clay will have to battle, but if they want it this is going to be a ballgame.
I think if clay come to play this should be a good game but if McDaniel try's and broke his record then this could be over quick.....
-_- Wrote:I think if clay come to play this should be a good game but if McDaniel try's and broke his record then this could be over quick.....

Doubt he will have to this year. He didn't have anyone who could handle the big lights on the team last year and he did his best to keep his team in the game offensively and defensively. Him, Allen, Wolfe and Smith have experience there and Farmer's dads jersey hangs in the rafters. Probably a better chance that Ruthsatz breaks that record than Chip, although that one may last awhile haha
Cov Cath 72
Clay 59
If 64 likes them I like them. Clay in OT 71 70
Have these kids from Cav. Cath. ever played in Rupp? Will the experience that Clay gained last year playing in the big house be a factor in this game?
Cov Cath has not played in Rupp- no. But I will tell you that they have played at NKU's Bank of Kentucky Center for the past week (plus having a regular season game there) and will be practicing there to help themselves stay comfortable in an arena environment.
No, the BOK is not Rupp- but it's miles better than a high school gym. I think this is a terrific advantage for Cov Cath actually and I don't think they will be in awe of Rupps size or sight lines walking in.
Also- for the posters above- they are not strictly a perimeter team. Far from it. They can play high speed, low speed, perimeter or low block. The PG Ruthsatz runs the show and they have very nice players down low in Schult and Schuh- a solid perimeter player in Heppler, a fantastically athletic guard in Frosh VonHandorf and then the PG Ruthsatz. He will drive and dish as much as he will pull up from three or make a runner in the lane.
Should be a fun atmosphere with the colonel crazies descending upon Lexington and Rupp Arean- should be a show.
wildcatfan4life Wrote:Heard barger and marsee was at cc today, any truth to that?

Yea they were in CC, they car pooled with Collier and Lawson from JC and Broughton and Asher from North.
:biglmao:
wildcatfan4life Wrote:Heard barger and marsee was at cc today, any truth to that?

I don't know about Barger, but there are rumors flying about Marsee like Crazy. There is also another Big Man that rumors are flying around about. Dont want to put names out there but it looks like they are several wanting to come play with Clay's sophomores and make a run at a state championship.:devilflam
insideinfo Wrote:if 64 likes them i like them. Clay in ot 71 70

100%
1st round games tend to be closer than the favorite wants them to be. I like this CovCath team, Ruthsatz handles the ball extremely well and their bigs are IMO one of the toughest in the state. Very smart team

I think Clay will keep close for 3 quarters, but CovCath and the crazies will pull away in the 4th. I like CovCath's chances to get to state
Pages: 1 2 3 4