Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland @ Highlands 11/15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I do need to set the record straight on one thing and I need to make a formal apology to some hard working young men who are gifted athletes as well as excellent young men off the playing fields...In my back and forths with Harry Rex, I included the names of a couple of student athletes who in reality have been very successful in what really matters in life. What really matters to me is to set forth a goal, work as hard as you can to attain it, and do it in a respectable manner....That is the true definition of being successful...It's not all about being the best in the world at what we do, it's all about being the best that we can possibly make ourselves.

I wish that I had thought of a more tactful way to counter the arrogance of Mr. Vonner and his tastelessness. So to Mr. Towels and to Mr. Collinsworth please accept my sincere apologies....Comments where innocent bystanders get caught in the crossfire of message board banter are truly thoughtless and shameful, and my intentions were not to be behave in that manner when it comes to these fine young men......

Dad burn it Harry, knock this crap off, so someone else doesn't get tempted to follow suit.
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:Baker is dangerous, that's for sure, but the best in the state is a reach. He is too tender, and odds are he won't finish the game

I have to agree seen him run in a few games and seems like he gets hurt easy.
FBfan4life Wrote:OMGosh... Where have you been bro? Welcome back:worthy::notworthy

Highlands 42 Ashland 24
Bob Seger Wrote:I do need to set the record straight on one thing and I need to make a formal apology to some hard working young men who are gifted athletes as well as excellent young men off the playing fields...In my back and forths with Harry Rex, I included the names of a couple of student athletes who in reality have been very successful in what really matters in life. What really matters to me is to set forth a goal, work as hard as you can to attain it, and do it in a respectable manner....That is the true definition of being successful...It's not all about being the best in the world at what we do, it's all about being the best that we can possibly make ourselves.

I wish that I had thought of a more tactful way to counter the arrogance of Mr. Vonner and his tastelessness. So to Mr. Towels and to Mr. Collinsworth please accept my sincere apologies....Comments where innocent bystanders get caught in the crossfire of message board banter are truly thoughtless and shameful, and my intentions were not to be behave in that manner when it comes to these fine young men......

Dad burn it Harry, knock this crap off, so someone else doesn't get tempted to follow suit.

You are correct, Bob Seger. It is game day and time for all the digging, though most tongue in cheek, to end. Loyalties are passionate and that is obvious from the posts. Trying to "inflame" those passions is just a part of the pregame ritual. There should never be an intention to be hateful.

Therefore, as game time approaches, let's hope that all teams play their best, that everyone leaves the game without serious injury (there will be bumps and bruises), may the better teams win, may we all look forward to another week of preparation for the next round, and may we all realize that this is merely a game played by youngsters who enjoy the competition. Finally, let's not forget that there are far more important situations and events going on around us each day.

Good luck to all. And, I'll say this- if a passionate and loyal fan base is an integral ingredient for a winner, Johnson Central will be hard to beat. Finally, my Bob Seger, you cut deep when you compared old Harry to Obama and Carney. That is undoubtedly the ultimate shot.
Highlands will roll!
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You are correct, Bob Seger. It is game day and time for all the digging, though most tongue in cheek, to end. Loyalties are passionate and that is obvious from the posts. Trying to "inflame" those passions is just a part of the pregame ritual. There should never be an intention to be hateful.

Therefore, as game time approaches, let's hope that all teams play their best, that everyone leaves the game without serious injury (there will be bumps and bruises), may the better teams win, may we all look forward to another week of preparation for the next round, and may we all realize that this is merely a game played by youngsters who enjoy the competition. Finally, let's not forget that there are far more important situations and events going on around us each day.

Good luck to all. And, I'll say this- if a passionate and loyal fan base is an integral ingredient for a winner, Johnson Central will be hard to beat. Finally, my Bob Seger, you cut deep when you compared old Harry to Obama and Carney. That is undoubtedly the ultimate shot.

Harry, one of the wise sayings that I remember so vividly from my saintly grandmother, went along the lines of this,................ "pretty is as pretty does"..:biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:That's the biggest boat load of crap I've ever heard. You are really full of it tonight...Playing at Ashland didn't seem to hinder Arliss Beach from playing at UK and then for the Green Bay Packers, did it?....Neither did it hurt Al Baker (Baker's dad), playing at Trigg Co., hinder him from playing at UK....Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Patrick Towels become a star in the SEC did it?.Even when his grandfather was a hall of fame baseball player and one of the most powerful men in Congress....He still cant get playing tme!!!..Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Austin Collinsworth to become a full fleged superstar at Notre dame either, did it? Being the son of Chris Collinsworth probably carried more weight than playing at FTH. College coaches know what they see , when they see it...It's like in baseball, if you're good enough they will find you no matter where you play....Anybody ever hear of Don Gullett? He played for teeny McKell (just down the road from Ashland), and made it to the World Series, how many times? Cy Young award winner Brandon Webb didn't seem to let him playing high school baseball at inferior Ashland Paul Blazer stop him from becoming the most dominant pitcher of his era, did it? Aaron Pettrey from Raceland played at Ohio State and the Bengals...Playing for Belfry didn't stop David Jones from going to UK either, did it?....Playing at Leslie Co. didn't hinder Tim Couch from playing at UK and being the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft, did it? Even though he is just a sophomore, Baker I am sure, is on the radar of many many colleges. People know who he is.

The one thing that that massive ego of yours has yet to figure out while performing your propaganda routine here, is that while playing at Ashland, it means that Baker will get to play against the best....That is Highlands, isn't it? That outta bring all the college coaches in the entire country out, shouldn't it?....lol

If you want to play the shock jock roll and try to get a rise out of everybody, go right ahead, but don't start rambling on with this line of BS, because you clearly don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, and it's not hard to figure out either.. Your line of BS only goes so far.

Mr. Seger, with your posts on this thread, you have gained my respect. You are of moral fiber. I salute you.
tomcat4life Wrote:Mr. Seger, with your posts on this thread, you have gained my respect. You are of moral fiber. I salute you.

Now, Bob Seger, I never claimed to be pretty- just honest and factual. I have posted with two consistent messages. First, if Johnson Central wants real respect, it must win a trophy outside eastern Kentucky. And second, the Baker boy would benefit from the exposure of playing somewhere other than Ashland. Now, those two theories are quite reasonable and noncontroversial, don't you think?

Of course, I may be a great mediator since I have noted a few posts in which Ashland people and Johnson Central people agree and even compliment each other. And, since we all know there is no love lost between the two camps, that may be a minor miracle.

But, the spinning and baiting are over. We'll see how the next two weeks play out. If Ashland or Johnson Central wins the region, I will, of course, root for them to win it all. I hope you will reciprocate if CovCath or Fort Thomas wins.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Now, Bob Seger, I never claimed to be pretty- just honest and factual. I have posted with two consistent messages. First, if Johnson Central wants real respect, it must win a trophy outside eastern Kentucky. And second, the Baker boy would benefit from the exposure of playing somewhere other than Ashland. Now, those two theories are quite reasonable and noncontroversial, don't you think?

Of course, I may be a great mediator since I have noted a few posts in which Ashland people and Johnson Central people agree and even compliment each other. And, since we all know there is no love lost between the two camps, that may be a minor miracle.

But, the spinning and baiting is over. We'll see how the next two weeks play out. If Ashland or Johnson Central wins the region, I will root for them to win it all. I hope you will reciprocate if CovCath or Fort Thomas wins.
If young Mr. Baker's parents are willing to pull up stakes and enroll him in a school with a great football program and the top academic reputation in Kentucky, then why would they not enroll him at Dupont Manual? Highlands is a good school with a nice football program, but a player who is willing to relocate can do better - much better, if he looks beyond Kentucky's borders to a top tier football state.

As Bob Segar said, Baker will get plenty of attention from college scouts where he is. Baker may be the fastest running back in the state already and given two years of growth and hard work, he will be a D1 college prospect no matter where he plays.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If young Mr. Baker's parents are willing to pull up stakes and enroll him in a school with a great football program and the top academic reputation in Kentucky, then why would they not enroll him at Dupont Manual? Highlands is a good school with a nice football program, but a player who is willing to relocate can do better - much better, if he looks beyond Kentucky's borders to a top tier football state.

As Bob Segar said, Baker will get plenty of attention from college scouts where he is. Baker may be the fastest running back in the state already and given two years of growth and hard work, he will be a D1 college prospect no matter where he plays.

DuPont Manuel is fine. Overall, Louisville Trinity is better. Like in most groups, there are lower D-1 schools and there are higher D-1 schools. I think Baker should set his sights on the latter and not the former. His chances are much better in the Louisville or Greater Cincinnati areas than in Ashland. I'm not taking a shot at Ashland but merely stating a fact. Baker may well have special talent so why not maximize the possibilities?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:DuPont Manuel is fine. Overall, Louisville Trinity is better. Like in most groups, there are lower D-1 schools and there are higher D-1 schools. I think Baker should set his sights on the latter and not the former. His chances are much better in the Louisville or Greater Cincinnati areas than in Ashland. I'm not taking a shot at Ashland but merely stating a fact. Baker may well have special talent so why not maximize the possibilities?
Academically, duPont Manual is the top high school in the state, IMO. Trinity is not better and the difference in football programs would make no difference to college recruiters. Either would be better choices than Highlands. I am sure that Al Baker knows what is right for his own son with regards to his football career.
Beat down.. Tomcats stand no chance
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Academically, duPont Manual is the top high school in the state, IMO. Trinity is not better and the difference in football programs would make no difference to college recruiters. Either would be better choices than Highlands. I am sure that Al Baker knows what is right for his own son with regards to his football career.

If you go by the new rankings that came out this week by Newsweek, Manual is not the top school in KY. Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Math and Science in Bowling Green Ky was ranked the top school in the COUNTRY! Manual was ranked 50th, Beechwood 247th, Highlands 333rd, Walton Verona, Campbell CO, and Male were all in top 1000.
sstack Wrote:If you go by the new rankings that came out this week by Newsweek, Manual is not the top school in KY. Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Math and Science in Bowling Green Ky was ranked the top school in the COUNTRY! Manual was ranked 50th, Beechwood 247th, Highlands 333rd, Walton Verona, Campbell CO, and Male were all in top 1000.
I am going by my own observations. I know that there have been years when Manual has graduated a double-digit number of National Merit Finalists. They have also been one of the top Governor's Cup contenders for many years. What kind of football team does Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Math and Science have? Football-wise, I think that Baker is doing fine right where he is.

The suggestion that he should transfer to a supposedly better program is an insult to Ashland's team and community. It is the kind of things that earns Highlands its bad name on these kind of forums.
And for all this time we have been told that Highlands success has been a product of in house talent..
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am going by my own observations. I know that there have been years when Manual has graduated a double-digit number of National Merit Finalists. They have also been one of the top Governor's Cup contenders for many years. What kind of football team does Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Math and Science have? Football-wise, I think that Baker is doing fine right where he is.

The suggestion that he should transfer to a supposedly better program is an insult to Ashland's team and community. It is the kind of things that earns Highlands its bad name on these kind of forums.

No sports programs, they take their classes at WKU. It is for the very brightest of KY academically.
tomcat4life Wrote:Mr. Seger, with your posts on this thread, you have gained my respect. You are of moral fiber. I salute you.

You yelled at me for this, and I didn't even go as far as tomcat4life!!!
Confusednicker:
sstack Wrote:No sports programs, they take their classes at WKU. It is for the very brightest of KY academically.
Thanks for the response, but the question was rhetorical. Not much chance of a college football prospect getting much attention there.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Thanks for the response, but the question was rhetorical.

Yea, I figured it was rhetorical, but I just think it is great that the state of KY has been named as having the top school in the country and I was just trying to give them some well deserved attention. It is great to see the state of KY trying to improve the education for the kids.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Academically, duPont Manual is the top high school in the state, IMO. Trinity is not better and the difference in football programs would make no difference to college recruiters. Either would be better choices than Highlands. I am sure that Al Baker knows what is right for his own son with regards to his football career.

All should keep in mind that private schools are not included in any government school rankings. I would suspect that Trinity and St. Xavier, as well as Sacred Heart and NDA on the female side, would rank very high. Certainly, any list would include Covington Latin.

On a more serious note, I got a call from a business associate who works in the Ashland area and is a big supporter of Ashland athletics. He says that Baker will not play tonight because of an injury received in the Holmes game. I hope he is not correct but his sources are good. If that is the case, Baker will miss the real playoffs for the second year. That is unfortunate. He would have gotten a lot of exposure playing in northern Kentucky against Fort Thomas.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Fort Thomas doesn't need to recruit. I don't know if Baker could thrive in northern Kentucky or not. However, it may be wise for him to find out. He'll never get a good read on his true ability playing for Ashland. If not Fort Thomas, CovCath, NCC, or Beechwood would be good choices.

He'd thrive anywhere. He has earned his hype for his age and grade. He just won't be able to showcase that due to the discrepancy in teams.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:All should keep in mind that private schools are not included in any government school rankings. I would suspect that Trinity and St. Xavier, as well as Sacred Heart and NDA on the female side, would rank very high. Certainly, any list would include Covington Latin.

On a more serious note, I got a call from a business associate who works in the Ashland area and is a big supporter of Ashland athletics. He says that Baker will not play tonight because of an injury received in the Holmes game. I hope he is not correct but his sources are good. If that is the case, Baker will miss the real playoffs for the second year. That is unfortunate. He would have gotten a lot of exposure playing in northern Kentucky against Fort Thomas.

You are correct that the privates are not included, but they have always been great academically; it is nice to see some publics in KY coming to the top.
Granny Bear Wrote:You yelled at me for this, and I didn't even go as far as tomcat4life!!!
Confusednicker:

lol
Bob Seger Wrote:And yeah, I guess your right, I should have added a few home town boys like John Pelphrey, JR VanHoose, Tony Mayes, Todd Tackett, and Joey Couch to a list to those that had their careers stymied by not playing at Fort Thomas Highlands. Just think if they hadda, they mighta played a little college ball somewhere.
Just to add another name from our Chris Jennings from fairview also spent some time in the NFL recently
If Highlands has ALL starters back Ashland is doomed
Highlands has no 2nd string wide receivers. They play 10 different ones
Pages: 1 2 3 4