Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland @ Highlands 11/15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Baker is fast but I would say he is probably top 10 material in the state. If he plays college ball I would guess his role would be more like what Derick Abney was at UK if he goes to a bigger school. I say 49-13 Highlands.
I would suspect that the starters would mostly be back for the Birds tomorrow night, ergo, Wrobleski and Abner on the back end lay wood on opponents RBs like there's no tomorrow. Baker may get his yards, but he'll have a ice bath waiting for him Saturday morning.

Birds 49
Tomcats 14
brown_ind1977 Wrote:Post like this make you the troll you are.

Ah, but an honest and realistic troll. What does that make you?
Keepnitreal Wrote:Sounds like a sales pitch from Highland's Recruiting Coordinator! Mr. Baker should be honored.....:worthy:

Fort Thomas doesn't need to recruit. I don't know if Baker could thrive in northern Kentucky or not. However, it may be wise for him to find out. He'll never get a good read on his true ability playing for Ashland. If not Fort Thomas, CovCath, NCC, or Beechwood would be good choices.
When/where: 7:30 p.m. Friday at David Cecil Memorial Stadium, Fort Thomas

Last week: Ashland Blazer beat Holmes, 49-20; Highlands beat Boyd County, 70-6

Last season: Highlands won in the second round of the playoffs, 52-13

Litkenhous ratings: Highlands 129.7, Ashland Blazer 85.7

Noteworthy: Highlands has won 42 straight games against Kentucky teams since losing to Ryle in the 2010 regular-season finale and has won 31 straight playoff games. … Highlands scored 70 points or more in each of its last four games against Kentucky teams. … Highlands has 51 touchdown passes this season, which is the third time in school history it has thrown 51 or more. The school record is 59 set in 2000 and the 2011 team also threw 51. Drew Houliston leads the team with 39 TD passes and needs 142 yards passing to reach 3,000 for the season. … One of Ashland Blazer’s three losses came to Newport Central Catholic in its season opener, 37-26. … Blazer is averaging almost 280 yards per game rushing, led by sophomore Quinton Baker, who has rushed for 1,604 yards and 17 touchdowns. He suffered an ankle injury last week, but is expected to play. … Blazer has averaged just 41.5 yards per game passing. … Highlands is allowing 165.0 yards per game rushing. … The teams have two common opponents: Holmes and Boyd County. Blazer beat both by a combined score of 77-26, while Highlands beat both by a combined score of 141-20.
Blau Vogel Wrote:When/where: 7:30 p.m. Friday at David Cecil Memorial Stadium, Fort Thomas

Noteworthy: Highlands has won 42 straight games against Kentucky teams since losing to Ryle in the 2010 regular-season finale and has won 31 straight playoff games. … Highlands scored 70 points or more in each of its last four games against Kentucky teams. … Highlands has 51 touchdown passes this season, which is the third time in school history it has thrown 51 or more. The school record is 59 set in 2000 and the 2011 team also threw 51. Drew Houliston leads the team with 39 TD passes and needs 142 yards passing to reach 3,000 for the season. … One of Ashland Blazer’s three losses came to Newport Central Catholic in its season opener, 37-26. … Blazer is averaging almost 280 yards per game rushing, led by sophomore Quinton Baker, who has rushed for 1,604 yards and 17 touchdowns. He suffered an ankle injury last week, but is expected to play. … Blazer has averaged just 41.5 yards per game passing. … Highlands is allowing 165.0 yards per game rushing. … The teams have two common opponents: Holmes and Boyd County. Blazer beat both by a combined score of 77-26, while Highlands beat both by a combined score of 141-20.

You can't dispute the facts.
foxbatone Wrote:Ashland in a upset 24-19 on a great day for football.

If Ashland is going to shock the state, they are going to have to score 80 because their D is not going to hold HHS to 19 (or even 70).
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You can't dispute the facts.

Who is?
sstack Wrote:If Ashland is going to shock the state, they are going to have to score 80 because their D is not going to hold HHS to 19 (or even 70).

Highlands will hold Highlands to 70 if necessary. Go back and look at all of their scores they don't make a habit of scoring late td's just to drive up a score.
Blau Vogel Wrote:When/where: 7:30 p.m. Friday at David Cecil Memorial Stadium, Fort Thomas

OMGosh... Where have you been bro? Welcome back:worthy::notworthy
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Fort Thomas doesn't need to recruit. I don't know if Baker could thrive in northern Kentucky or not. However, it may be wise for him to find out. He'll never get a good read on his true ability playing for Ashland. If not Fort Thomas, CovCath, NCC, or Beechwood would be good choices.

I agree that Northern Kentucky/Central Kentucky is a bigger stage but do you think it's worth uprooting your family for football exposure? Furthermore, given the fact that he can't beat out Jalen Whitlow, playing at Highlands didn't give us a great read on Patrick Towles ability
Leaping Lee Wrote:I agree that Northern Kentucky/Central Kentucky is a bigger stage but do you think it's worth uprooting your family for football exposure? Furthermore, given the fact that he can't beat out Jalen Whitlow, playing at Highlands didn't give us a great read on Patrick Towles ability

It has nothing to do with football, but I would say yes it is worth uprooting your family. Great small town with wonderful people, great schools for a top education,very safe, very little crime, a lot of job opportunities, a lot of community activities, and 5 mins from downtown Cincinnati and all that the big city has to offer. There is a reason people tend to return to Ft Thomas after college or after marriage and starting a family. The cost of housing and taxes sucks, but it is worth it.
Baker is staying at least told that and he will be getting a lot of help for next year!!!
sstack Wrote:It has nothing to do with football, but I would say yes it is worth uprooting your family. Great small town with wonderful people, great schools for a top education,very safe, very little crime, a lot of job opportunities, a lot of community activities, and 5 mins from downtown Cincinnati and all that the big city has to offer. There is a reason people tend to return to Ft Thomas after college or after marriage and starting a family. The cost of housing and taxes sucks, but it is worth it.

I don't think Harry was thinking about job opportunities. Fort Thomas seems like a nice place to me but I'm wouldn't just leave somewhere where I'm comfortable just so my son can play on a better football team.

Furthermore, I like being more than 5 minutes from Cincy.
T-CATS Wrote:Baker is staying at least told that and he will be getting a lot of help for next year!!!

Que up Harry in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....................................
T-CATS Wrote:Baker is staying at least told that and he will be getting a lot of help for next year!!!

Legal or illegal help? T-CATS teed that one up. All that "help" apparently didn't keep the Dixson boys relocated in Ashland.
Leaping Lee Wrote:I don't think Harry was thinking about job opportunities. Fort Thomas seems like a nice place to me but I'm wouldn't just leave somewhere where I'm comfortable just so my son can play on a better football team.

Furthermore, I like being more than 5 minutes from Cincy.

Actually, Leaping Lee, I was talking about the whole package. Baker will get a lot more exposure to college recruiters in Fort Thomas than he will ever get in Ashland. He would play for the best all around government school in Kentucky. Also, Fort Thomas is one of the very top government schools in academics in the Commonwealth- from all objective tests and standards, far, far ahead of Ashland. And, the truth is that the socio-economic situation in Fort Thomas is light years ahead of Ashland. Opportunities abound in Fort Thomas. That is clearly not the case in Ashland. Bering five minutes from Cincinnati offers far more than being five minutes from Ironton, Ohio.

But, I'm not necessarily lobbying for Fort Thomas. There are obvious major pluses with CovCath, Beechwood, and even NCC. Of course, if we were suggesting a location for a female athlete, I'd vote for NDA for the same reasons as I list for Fort Thomas. Of course, I am somewhat prejudiced toward the Pandas.
If they rest all of their defensive starters, Highlands wins 77-63. If not, Highlands wins 56-21. :biggrin:
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Actually, Leaping Lee, I was talking about the whole package. Baker will get a lot more exposure to college recruiters in Fort Thomas than he will ever get in Ashland. He would play for the best all around government school in Kentucky. Also, Fort Thomas is one of the very top government schools in academics in the Commonwealth- from all objective tests and standards, far, far ahead of Ashland. And, the truth is that the socio-economic situation in Fort Thomas is light years ahead of Ashland. Opportunities abound in Fort Thomas. That is clearly not the case in Ashland. Bering five minutes from Cincinnati offers far more than being five minutes from Ironton, Ohio.

But, I'm not necessarily lobbying for Fort Thomas. There are obvious major pluses with CovCath, Beechwood, and even NCC. Of course, if we were suggesting a location for a female athlete, I'd vote for NDA for the same reasons as I list for Fort Thomas. Of course, I am somewhat prejudiced toward the Pandas.

Well then why doesn't the entire state relocate to Northern Kentucky, including yourself.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Actually, Leaping Lee, I was talking about the whole package. Baker will get a lot more exposure to college recruiters in Fort Thomas than he will ever get in Ashland. He would play for the best all around government school in Kentucky. Also, Fort Thomas is one of the very top government schools in academics in the Commonwealth- from all objective tests and standards, far, far ahead of Ashland. And, the truth is that the socio-economic situation in Fort Thomas is light years ahead of Ashland. Opportunities abound in Fort Thomas. That is clearly not the case in Ashland. Bering five minutes from Cincinnati offers far more than being five minutes from Ironton, Ohio.

That's the biggest boat load of crap I've ever heard. You are really full of it tonight...Playing at Ashland didn't seem to hinder Arliss Beach from playing at UK and then for the Green Bay Packers, did it?....Neither did it hurt Al Baker (Baker's dad), playing at Trigg Co., hinder him from playing at UK....Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Patrick Towels become a star in the SEC did it?.Even when his grandfather was a hall of fame baseball player and one of the most powerful men in Congress....He still cant get playing tme!!!..Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Austin Collinsworth to become a full fleged superstar at Notre dame either, did it? Being the son of Chris Collinsworth probably carried more weight than playing at FTH. College coaches know what they see , when they see it...It's like in baseball, if you're good enough they will find you no matter where you play....Anybody ever hear of Don Gullett? He played for teeny McKell (just down the road from Ashland), and made it to the World Series, how many times? Cy Young award winner Brandon Webb didn't seem to let him playing high school baseball at inferior Ashland Paul Blazer stop him from becoming the most dominant pitcher of his era, did it? Aaron Pettrey from Raceland played at Ohio State and the Bengals...Playing for Belfry didn't stop David Jones from going to UK either, did it?....Playing at Leslie Co. didn't hinder Tim Couch from playing at UK and being the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft, did it? Even though he is just a sophomore, Baker I am sure, is on the radar of many many colleges. People know who he is.

The one thing that that massive ego of yours has yet to figure out while performing your propaganda routine here, is that while playing at Ashland, it means that Baker will get to play against the best....That is Highlands, isn't it? That outta bring all the college coaches in the entire country out, shouldn't it?....lol

If you want to play the shock jock roll and try to get a rise out of everybody, go right ahead, but don't start rambling on with this line of BS, because you clearly don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, and it's not hard to figure out either.. Your line of BS only goes so far.
[Image: 59d2fi13o5wy5w.jpg?kj8as6ye]

Mr. Vonner,
How well do you know Mr. Birgance and Ms. Roark?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Legal or illegal help? T-CATS teed that one up. All that "help" apparently didn't keep the Dixson boys relocated in Ashland.

Didn't you know, if you want basketball exposure, you go somewhere big time these days...like Cordia.
Diogenes Wrote:Didn't you know, if you want basketball exposure, you go somewhere big time these days...like Cordia.

:hilarious: :biglmao:

"He goes there so often, he's gettin' frequent flyer miles"
Diogenes Wrote:Didn't you know, if you want basketball exposure, you go somewhere big time these days...like Cordia.

It's not like Thomas Nelson or the 5th region is a hotbed. Harry is just an Ashland hater acting like he is from Northern KY and that is the "Truth"
Bob Seger Wrote:That's the biggest boat load of crap I've ever heard. You are really full of it tonight...Playing at Ashland didn't seem to hinder Arliss Beach from playing at UK and then for the Green Bay Packers, did it?....Neither did it hurt Al Baker (Baker's dad), playing at Trigg Co., hinder him from playing at UK....Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Patrick Towels become a star in the SEC did it?.Even when his grandfather was a hall of fame baseball player and one of the most powerful men in Congress....He still cant get playing tme!!!..Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Austin Collinsworth to become a full fleged superstar at Notre dame either, did it? Being the son of Chris Collinsworth probably carried more weight than playing at FTH. College coaches know what they see , when they see it...It's like in baseball, if you're good enough they will find you no matter where you play....Anybody ever hear of Don Gullett? He played for teeny McKell (just down the road from Ashland), and made it to the World Series, how many times? Cy Young award winner Brandon Webb didn't seem to let him playing high school baseball at inferior Ashland Paul Blazer stop him from becoming the most dominant pitcher of his era, did it? Aaron Pettrey from Raceland played at Ohio State and the Bengals...Playing for Belfry didn't stop David Jones from going to UK either, did it?....Playing at Leslie Co. didn't hinder Tim Couch from playing at UK and being the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft, did it? Even though he is just a sophomore, Baker I am sure, is on the radar of many many colleges. People know who he is.

The one thing that that massive ego of yours has yet to figure out while performing your propaganda routine here, is that while playing at Ashland, it means that Baker will get to play against the best....That is Highlands, isn't it? That outta bring all the college coaches in the entire country out, shouldn't it?....lol

If you want to play the shock jock roll and try to get a rise out of everybody, go right ahead, but don't start rambling on with this line of BS, because you clearly don't have a clue as to what you are talking about, and it's not hard to figure out either.. Your line of BS only goes so far.

This is the best and one of the most honest things you have posted. Also want to add playing at little rose hill didn't hurt OJ mayo or Bill Walker. But thanks for taking up for one of our and kids and speaking the truth.

Or to the other roundball mecca, known as East Ridge!!!
Bob Seger Wrote:That's the biggest boat load of crap I've ever heard. You are really full of it tonight...Playing at Ashland didn't seem to hinder Arliss Beach from playing at UK and then for the Green Bay Packers, did it?....Neither did it hurt Al Baker (Baker's dad), playing at Trigg Co., hinder him from playing at UK....Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Patrick Towels become a star in the SEC did it?.Even when his grandfather was a hall of fame baseball player and one of the most powerful men in Congress....He still cant get playing tme!!!..Playing at Highlands sure didn't help Austin Collinsworth to become a full fleged superstar at Notre dame either, did it? Being the son of Chris Collinsworth probably carried more weight than playing at FTH. College coaches know what they see , when they see it...It's like in baseball, if you're good enough they will find you no matter where you play....Anybody ever hear of Don Gullett? He played for teeny McKell (just down the road from Ashland), and made it to the World Series, how many times? Cy Young award winner Brandon Webb didn't seem to let him playing high school baseball at inferior Ashland Paul Blazer stop him from becoming the most dominant pitcher of his era, did it? Aaron Pettrey from Raceland played at Ohio State and the Bengals...Playing for Belfry didn't stop David Jones from going to UK either, did it?....Playing at Leslie Co. didn't hinder Tim Couch from playing at UK and being the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft, did it? Even though he is just a sophomore, Baker I am sure, is on the radar of many many colleges. People know who he is.

Wow. You tend to deal in ancient history. You forgot Jay Rhodemyre who played for UK after playing for Ashland in the 1940s and Ellis Johnson and the Phipps boys who played there in the 1920s and 1930s. On the other hand, Beach never actually played for the Packers and, though a good pitcher, Webb was hardly the "most dominant pitcher of his era". Of course, it is a shame that his "era" was so brief because of his arm injury.

It wasn't my intention to get your bowels in an uproar. Your little history lesson was interesting and I feel sure you didn't miss many from the east even including Gullett who finished at McKell about forty years ago. How about Johnny Lemaster, the old shortstop from Paintsville? You left him out. And, why not include Drew Hall from Ashland, a relief pitcher who was actually drafted by the Cubs ahead of Greg Maddux? I guess I can provide your argument better than can you.

But, your tirade dpesn't change the fact that northern Kentucky is a far better springboard to real athletic success than is eastern Kentucky.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Wow. You tend to deal in ancient history. You forgot Jay Rhodemyre who played for UK after playing for Ashland in the 1940s and Ellis Johnson and the Phipps boys who played there in the 1920s and 1930s. On the other hand, Beach never actually played for the Packers and, though a good pitcher, Webb was hardly the "most dominant pitcher of his era". Of course, it is a shame that his "era" was so brief because of his arm injury.

It wasn't my intention to get your bowels in an uproar. Your little history lesson was interesting and I feel sure you didn't miss many from the east even including Gullett who finished at McKell about forty years ago. How about Johnny Lemaster, the old shortstop from Paintsville? You left him out. And, why not include Drew Hall from Ashland, a relief pitcher who was actually drafted by the Cubs ahead of Greg Maddux? I guess I can provide your argument better than can you.

But, your tirade dpesn't change the fact that northern Kentucky is a far better springboard to real athletic success than is eastern Kentucky.

That's quite an effort to put a spin on it Rexford....No doubt, a member of Team Obama?..Another Jay Carney in training? ............Hurts to the bone, when I'm right doesn't it?Confusednicker:
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Wow. You tend to deal in ancient history. You forgot Jay Rhodemyre who played for UK after playing for Ashland in the 1940s and Ellis Johnson and the Phipps boys who played there in the 1920s and 1930s. On the other hand, Beach never actually played for the Packers and, though a good pitcher, Webb was hardly the "most dominant pitcher of his era". Of course, it is a shame that his "era" was so brief because of his arm injury.

And yeah, I guess your right, I should have added a few home town boys like John Pelphrey, JR VanHoose, Tony Mayes, Todd Tackett, and Joey Couch to a list to those that had their careers stymied by not playing at Fort Thomas Highlands. Just think if they hadda, they mighta played a little college ball somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 4