Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mayfield vs. Fairview (1A State Championship) 11/30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I just got thru watching 5 or so games of fairview's rushing highlights and I see why you guys have so many rushing yards, the teams you are playing don't tackle, its awful. I know Mayfield plays the fultons and caverna but most of this is really bad. I will tell you one thing, win or lose, Fairview will know they got hit by the end of the day Friday.

I will say this, Fairview has a couple of speedsters, which does concern me, but not anything that we haven't seen yet.
I have not commented on this thread to this point, but it's getting hard for me to be silent. Some of you Mayfield fans need to slow down a little. Fairview is a very good football team. I watched them play Friday night and was very surprised at the speed of the backs, but the size of their line is just as much of a factor. Of course, I realize Mayfield is a super team as well. Both teams have a great deal of ability. Barring excessive turnovers, this one ends up being very close.

As for the East not getting any credit from the West I really don't understand. Mayfield has played in the last 3 title games, with a 1-2 record. Recently the East has been good enough, wouldn't you say???
Go Dawgs Wrote:As for the East not getting any credit from the West I really don't understand. Mayfield has played in the last 3 title games, with a 1-2 record. Recently the East has been good enough, wouldn't you say???

Without a doubt, they have won 2 of the last 3 but if we don't stir the pot a little this place becomes a bore. We know they are good and peaking at the right time
Dawg, I dont think I said anything about the east not being any good. I simply put out the schedules and results. I put out my opinion of what I saw on film and I got mugged by eastern people. I did not say anything wrong. I don't think any of us from this end did until someone from over there made it a point to state they wished we would get beat by 400 points because I was arrogant. If putting up the stats and schedules with results is talking trash and being arrogant, I am guilty. If however, someone got offended because of what they drew from the conclusion of those stats and schedules, then maybe the complex is on that end, not this one. I believe if you check back any of the sites, you will see I have complimented Hazard and Pikeville many times. They are from the east. I have just been looking at these things and I know what we have. I see things that lead me to believe we should win this game. Is there something wrong with us voicing our opinion or do you have to be from eastern KY to get one of those. I will be glad win Fri rolls around so we can settle this and not have to hear how arrogant we are for another year.
Go Dawgs Wrote:I have not commented on this thread to this point, but it's getting hard for me to be silent. Some of you Mayfield fans need to slow down a little. Fairview is a very good football team. I watched them play Friday night and was very surprised at the speed of the backs, but the size of their line is just as much of a factor. Of course, I realize Mayfield is a super team as well. Both teams have a great deal of ability. Barring excessive turnovers, this one ends up being very close.

As for the East not getting any credit from the West I really don't understand. Mayfield has played in the last 3 title games, with a 1-2 record. Recently the East has been good enough, wouldn't you say???

I would say that the east is good enough for sure, they got to the game so they deserve some recognition for that but I think most of us Mayfield fans are doing what we do, breaking down a team and seeing how we match up against em. Its kinda frustrating to just hear "Fairview is a good team, they will win" when we don't get much of a reason to back that up. If you are interested in seeing how Mayfield does against a team that runs the wing-T well, go to maxpreps and watch our game against Warren Central. From the film I have seen, Fairview is not a Warren Central, but neither are most teams in the state. While you are there, check out the Tilghman game and see if the speed on both sides of the ball is not impressive.
Mysonis55 you have been excellent at supporting Hazard through your posts and I'm definitely not saying otherwise. I am unbiased when it comes to this Championship game. I'm not a Fairview fan. I've only seen Fairview play once, and they are very good all the way around. I've only seen Mayfield play twice, and you guys are very good at every position. I'm a Hazard fan, obviously. I just want Friday's game to be a great one and I wish you all the best of luck. Before our game I had seen Fairview on film and found myself thinking they could only dominate a weak team, that's not the case when I saw them in person. I think this could be a great game between you guys.

I have read some posts on this thread that don't seem to give the East the credit that we deserve. In 08 we had a chance to beat Bwood, 09 LCA took home the trophy, 10 you handed it to us, in 11 we got you. I think both sides have had a chance in the last 4 years. I think this year it's a toss up. Mysonis55 you have been right on with your posts, not many others have.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Big difference is Mayfield is light years better than Pikeville who has not been relivent since the 1980's
Pikeville was "relevant" into the 90's and has started to climb back up after dropping for a few years. Hazard knows exactly how relevant they were last year, Pikeville gave them a heck of a game in the semi-finals. Pikeville also stood toe to toe with Fairview until the 4th qtr really, a couple of weeks ago, as it was only 20-14 at the half, with Pikeville giving away two possible scores (1 sure one at the goal line) that could have put them up at the half. Don't be too dismissive, Pikeville has a very bright future over the next several years. Having said that, I've watched some of the Mayfield film, and I agree, a very good looking team. I honestly think overall, the fact that Fairview has a seperate O line and a D line will keep them fresh enough to keep it close. Besides giving each other time to rest, they are fast, extremely physical, and big. Last year's Hazard vs this year's Fairview would have been a whale of a game. This year's state championship game may just be the equivalent of that. Sure wish I was able to go.
I had planned on staying out of this and certainly want to leave Pikeville out of this, this game is between Fairview and Mayfield. I, too, thought the light schedule Fairview played would impact them as they progressed through the playoffs. I was completely wrong. They pretty much kicked our tail (sorry PHSForever) and demolished a pretty decent Hazard team. So this game might be closer than people think. HOWEVER, when I look at Mayfield's schedule and see they lost to WARREN CENTRAL BY ONLY 14 in the first game of the season and have wins over teams like Paducah Tilghman and comfortable wins over teams like Kentucky Country Day and a 3 TD win over Beechwood AT BEECHWOOD in November, that's all I need to see. Mayfield takes this one by 2 TDs.
I wouldn't be nearly as harsh on Pikeville as I saw posted. I was impressed with what you guys did against a very good Hazard team last year and then what you did with Raceland this year. You guys appear to be on your way back. That video of highlights from the Raceland game is awesome.

Now back on subject, I am not saying that Fairview is not a very good team. In order to make it to the semi's you have to be a very good team. We fully expect to be playing a very good team. I just don't think a one deminsional team will be able to hand us one. I did not mean it as a slight when I said they are pretty much Murray running a wing T. Murray was a very good team as well. Their only losses came to us and Caldwell Co. They were my pick at the beginning of the season until they lost to go to state in 2a. Look at the film of them and look at the film of Fairview. They both have 3 backs with eye popping numbers. They both have huge atheletic looking lines. They both have a qb that throws a pretty good ball. I think Dylan Boone from Murray is a little more shifty of a qb though. Murray also has a great kicking game as a yearly staple. I just know what happened to them and looking at this situation I think the results should be about the same. That is all I can say about this. The good thing though is the fact that in 3 days we will know.
Live Maroon Wrote:I had planned on staying out of this and certainly want to leave Pikeville out of this, this game is between Fairview and Mayfield. I, too, thought the light schedule Fairview played would impact them as they progressed through the playoffs. I was completely wrong. They pretty much kicked our tail (sorry PHSForever) and demolished a pretty decent Hazard team. So this game might be closer than people think. HOWEVER, when I look at Mayfield's schedule and see they lost to WARREN CENTRAL BY ONLY 14 in the first game of the season and have wins over teams like Paducah Tilghman and comfortable wins over teams like Kentucky Country Day and a 3 TD win over Beechwood AT BEECHWOOD in November, that's all I need to see. Mayfield takes this one by 2 TDs.

That is what I am talking about, granted I know much of nothing about raceland and fairview than what I have seen on film and I have seen Hazard twice at the state championship, so I do have an appreciation of 2 or 3 teams in the east, but I think most know of teams like Tilghman, Warren Central and Beechwood, not to mention Graves County who had warren central right down to the end of the game, Graves was not a slouch this year and we beat them handily.
Live Maroon Wrote:I had planned on staying out of this and certainly want to leave Pikeville out of this, this game is between Fairview and Mayfield. I, too, thought the light schedule Fairview played would impact them as they progressed through the playoffs. I was completely wrong. They pretty much kicked our tail (sorry PHSForever) and demolished a pretty decent Hazard team. So this game might be closer than people think. HOWEVER, when I look at Mayfield's schedule and see they lost to WARREN CENTRAL BY ONLY 14 in the first game of the season and have wins over teams like Paducah Tilghman and comfortable wins over teams like Kentucky Country Day and a 3 TD win over Beechwood AT BEECHWOOD in November, that's all I need to see. Mayfield takes this one by 2 TDs.

Thank you and to further highlight what you are saying we were beatin WC at halftime and because it was august and because we are 1a and didnt have their debth we had a bad cramping problem in second half had several players that could barely go in the second half including Jonathan Jackson. To me our most impressive victory was against Graves County. 5a undefeated in their district including wins over Christian County who pushed BG pretty hard in the playoffs. Graves went to Warren Central and lost by 7. Mayfield beat Graves 56 to 28 and it was actually a running clock midway through the 3rd. To take on a 5a team with a line that averaged 300lbs a qb who threw for 2500 yrds and a hb who rushed close to 2000 and put a running clock was the game that told me that this Mayfield team was quite a bit better than the the 2011 team.
Where's Patchy Boy? Oh, I know. He is waiting and hoping that Fairview loses then he is going to get on here and shine like the dull star that he is...come out, come out, wherever you are...

Should be a great game!
I notice that everyone is talking about the three headed monster and about the numbers these guys have put up this year and whether it is legit or not, not going to lie, I questioned it early on. The more I watched and read, the more I believed that they could put the same numbers up against whom ever they are playing, I could be wrong, that has happened once or twice in my life, ha ha. But the biggest thing that impresses me and something that I believe most people are overlooking is the way Fairview plays defense. These guys are fast at every position, they lay the wood and have made drastic improvement as the year went along. I believe that watching film on this team does them no justice. Can Fairview beat Mayfield? I think they can. If they cant't, will Mayfield blow them out? It's possible, but I don't see it happening.

Again, these are my opinions, I am in no way a Fairview fan, matter of fact, most of the year I despise, they are Raceland's chief rival, but this is the time of the year when I need to pull for them.

I think it will be a great game, no matter who wins!!!
Ramcat77 Wrote:I notice that everyone is talking about the three headed monster and about the numbers these guys have put up this year and whether it is legit or not, not going to lie, I questioned it early on. The more I watched and read, the more I believed that they could put the same numbers up against whom ever they are playing, I could be wrong, that has happened once or twice in my life, ha ha. But the biggest thing that impresses me and something that I believe most people are overlooking is the way Fairview plays defense. These guys are fast at every position, they lay the wood and have made drastic improvement as the year went along. I believe that watching film on this team does them no justice. Can Fairview beat Mayfield? I think they can. If they cant't, will Mayfield blow them out? It's possible, but I don't see it happening.

Again, these are my opinions, I am in no way a Fairview fan, matter of fact, most of the year I despise, they are Raceland's chief rival, but this is the time of the year when I need to pull for them.

I think it will be a great game, no matter who wins!!!

Honestly i dont think Mayfield has to shut the run down completely. If we give up 250 yards rushing which hasnt been done on us all year but going to give them the benefit of the doubt that these backs are that much better to Beechwoods rushing game as we only aloud them 130 yrds offense. Almost all of that was first half. So if they are capable of rushing 250 yrds on us. Still feel like we win by at least 10. As we are capable of doubling that offensive output and have done it against some very good teams. I dont worry about their speed at all we have beaten speed all year. Now if Fairview is capable of putting up 150 passing yards on us then we will have a barnburner. I just dont think they can stop us defensively. They willhave to outscore us and i just dont think our D gives up more than 21 just cant see it. If Warren Central gives up 28 to us with Jonathan Jackson not able to go in the second half and can put up 56 on a very good 5a Graves County i just dont see Fairview holding us under 35. If they load the box on us like i have seen it could get ugly. Still going with my original pick Mayfield by 17 and maybe more.
I say fairview by 16. Fairview 28 Mayfield 12
http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...g-together

Not that I care as I want to beat whoever with the best they can get but man this article makes it sounds like these kids went out and picked a place based on football and the KHSAA agreed. Seems they didnt really care about the school side of it in their decision. Oh well, bring'em on
Number 3 for fairview has sec speed just no size. I can tell you teams fairview has more speed than. That is Ironton,belfry,Johnson central,Raceland,Ashland,and Holmes. So hopefully that gives mayfield fans some idea of what the eagles have. And also I think fairview has a 4 headed monster at RB as Tanner Dolan looks like a nice player as well. Also these eagles don't just believe in the wood they lay it on D. Anyone judging them in schedule alone like I did earlier in the year is in for a rude awakening on Friday.
What about Fairviews kicking game? Kickoff, punting, and fieldgoal? Mayfield really has solid kicking game can really flip the field and hit fieldgoals pretty consistent from the 30 yardline on in. That is something that can make a big difference in this game.
rednblackattack Wrote:What about Fairviews kicking game? Kickoff, punting, and fieldgoal? Mayfield really has solid kicking game can really flip the field and hit fieldgoals pretty consistent from the 30 yardline on in. That is something that can make a big difference in this game.
I didn't see much against hazard. Both teams were avoiding the returners and fairview does not kic xp's and I don't recall them having to punt very much either.
We are going to eat Fairview alive. Our defense is just to quick and physical. On offense they will have the same problems with our speed and physicalness. Cards should take this one by 3-5 TD's. Fairview has not faced anyone nearly as good as Mayfield.
:howdy:I wish both teams a healthy free injury game good luck to fairview and mayfield the 2 best 1A schools may it.no doubt in my little icon world.:1:and:Second:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I didn't see much against hazard. Both teams were avoiding the returners and fairview does not kic xp's and I don't recall them having to punt very much either.

So they did not show the ability to get touchbacks on their kickoffs. So thats a big advantage Mayfield we have 3 returners capable of taking it to the house. Obviously a team who does not xtra points does not have much of a place kicker. So mayfield with their ability to but the ball in the endzone on kickoffs could be a big deal on the field posistion game and and eslecially with the out ability to kick field goals. Very interesting
Just 3 more days from right now, we will all know. I have been waiting a whole year for this chance and I'm sure our team has as well. I think our boys are focused on this game and ready. We will all see a show on Fri. Good luck and may you all play injury free.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Number 3 for fairview has sec speed just no size. I can tell you teams fairview has more speed than. That is Ironton,belfry,Johnson central,Raceland,Ashland,and Holmes. So hopefully that gives mayfield fans some idea of what the eagles have. And also I think fairview has a 4 headed monster at RB as Tanner Dolan looks like a nice player as well. Also these eagles don't just believe in the wood they lay it on D. Anyone judging them in schedule alone like I did earlier in the year is in for a rude awakening on Friday.

I agree with you on the defense, I actually think this is where fairview shines, but again, its hard to tell just by judging the highlight videos on maxpreps.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...g-together

Not that I care as I want to beat whoever with the best they can get but man this article makes it sounds like these kids went out and picked a place based on football and the KHSAA agreed. Seems they didnt really care about the school side of it in their decision. Oh well, bring'em on

It is what it is, it won't stop them from playing this Friday. I can't believe they put that in the paper, aren't those kids minors? I would have thought when it had to do with the court they are supposed to leave minors names out of it.
I wished Mayfield could get write ups in the paper or any other source. Good read on Fairview. I have no problem at all with the players that they got. Mayfield is also known to help kids who have had bad times.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...g-together

They only "picked" because they were sought after. Nobody from Huntington knows Fairview. But Fairview's head coach sure knows Huntington.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10