Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County @ Gate City, VA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Gate City is fresh off a state championship however ranked #38 overall in VA by MaxPreps. Who wins and why?

I think HC will be too big and strong for them. HC goes 3-0.
Harlan County by 24
Another weak team; another win for Harlan Co.
^ So this GC lose that much from their championship team?
Richlands waxed Gate City last week 31-13, and I think the same happens this week.

Harlan County 42
Gate City 7

Unregistered

Richlands has a pretty good football team. The game was a lot closer than the score. they punched one in at the end and return a freak fumble for 2 of those scores. Gate City isn't a weak team and the atmosphere will be great friday night. the game should be interesting!
Gate City is a very physcial football team. They have some outstanding linemen and a couple of bruising backs. They play very much like Harlan County, Bell County, Belfry, and the likes. Lots of power football, very little passing. They will come off the ball on oline as hard as anyone around here. They did lose quite a bit from last year's team but they are still very, very good. Anyone wanting to see a good game with some physical play and hard hitting, come over and watch. Anyone wanting to see a blowout, well you better go watch another game.
#31 from Gate City hits the hole like a wild man. GC's offensive line is an impressive looking group. GC has alot of tradition over there, and their fans really get out and support them. Really hope the NATION is out Friday night to get behind our Black Bears. Would have to agree with Yogi on this one- there is alot of false information floating around this forum on Gate City. These dudes play hard and hit you in the mouth. FYI, this is Harlan County's first "Friday night lights" appearence, being as we have played Corbin on a Thursday, Mo-town East and PLD on Saturdays. Glad to be back in the regular swing off things. GO BEARS! .......if you have a 10 ft tall tree with a 3 foot diameter...
Gate City and Richlands usally very good game, and Gate City wont lay down...
Go Black Bears!
Western Virginia football is not on par with Kentucky football, and Gate City is a much smaller school than Harlan County. This will be another drubbing against an inadequate team.
Not trying to dis harlan county, but wake me up when they actually play someone. I am for Harlan County and hope that they can bring home the hardware, but scheduling all of these weak teams makes for uninteresting games. I wish that they would have scheduled some games where they would at least be challenged.
hitemup Wrote:Not trying to dis harlan county, but wake me up when they actually play someone. I am for Harlan County and hope that they can bring home the hardware, but scheduling all of these weak teams makes for uninteresting games. I wish that they would have scheduled some games where they would at least be challenged.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, they do have about 600 kids, but they can play. They are nothing like most of the teams in that area.
First off, scheduling a defending state champion regardless of state, class, etc. doesn't sound like too weak of a schedule to me. Knox Central, Bell County, and GRC are also on HC's non-district schedule. Not too shabby there either. Not real sure how the scheduling process works, but I'm guessing by their schedule (TN team, VA team, Lexington city school), there wasn't many people knocking on HC's door wanting to schedule them. Within a decent mileage, just who would you prefer be added to this non-district slate "hit-em-up"??
hitemup Wrote:Not trying to dis harlan county, but wake me up when they actually play someone. I am for Harlan County and hope that they can bring home the hardware, but scheduling all of these weak teams makes for uninteresting games. I wish that they would have scheduled some games where they would at least be challenged.

They had a hard time finding teams who would play them. Actually I don't think this schedule is horrible.

HC Friday night by 14!
Very excited to see this game, hoping for a GREAT atmosphere over there. Along with a GREAT following of the Black Bear Nation. See you guys there!!

Harlan Co. 35
Gate City 21
Gate City will be a good test for Harlan Co Friday. I believe the team that Gate City played last week had a D-1 running back.

Harlan Co. 21
Gate City 7
To all of the people I have offended, I was not saying that to make people upset and I apologize. I understand that they may have had a hard time scheduling games I will not dispute that. I would just like to watch them play some good teams when they play and not beat up on these small schools or bad teams.

All I am saying is that they have not played any good teams yet. If you are willing to drive to lexington, morristown, gate city, then why not play some good teams within the same radius. Henry Clay, Bowling Green, Scott County, Johnson Central, Anderson County, Alcoa,TN, Maryville, TN, and many more teams in Knoxville are all teams that are within 30 minutes of the farthest distance they have driven so far. They may have contacted these schools and all of them told them "No."

Knox Central was a good addition to their schedule.

Bell County is a good school for them to play as well.

I understand that Gate City won the state championship last year; however, they lost a lot of seniors and would be classified as a large 1A or small 2A school in Kentucky depending on what their male enrollment is. Their enrollment is around 500.

Dunbar was 1-10 last year.

Morristown was 5-5 or 5-6 last year.

Harlan Co. beat Lee high 40-14 last year.

George Rogers Clark was 5-6 last year.

I hope that I have addressed everyone's comments. Again I was not trying to upset people just my opinion, and we know what opinions are like...
All Black Bears once again this week!

Harlan Co-38
Gate City, VA-7
[Image: misccalvinpeeing_1.jpg]

hitemup Wrote:To all of the people I have offended, I was not saying that to make people upset and I apologize. I understand that they may have had a hard time scheduling games I will not dispute that. I would just like to watch them play some good teams when they play and not beat up on these small schools or bad teams.

All I am saying is that they have not played any good teams yet. If you are willing to drive to lexington, morristown, gate city, then why not play some good teams within the same radius. Henry Clay, Bowling Green, Scott County, Johnson Central, Anderson County, Alcoa,TN, Maryville, TN, and many more teams in Knoxville are all teams that are within 30 minutes of the farthest distance they have driven so far. They may have contacted these schools and all of them told them "No."

I understand that Gate City won the state championship last year; however, they lost a lot of seniors and would be classified as a large 1A or small 2A school in Kentucky depending on what their male enrollment is. Their enrollment is around 500.

Dunbar was 1-10 last year.

Morristown was 5-5 or 5-6 last year.

Harlan Co. beat Lee high 40-14 last year.

I hope that I have addressed everyone's comments. Again I was not trying to upset people just my opinion, and we know what opinions are like...

:thatsfunn

Bears By 3 TD

HCHS - 45
GC - 7
dontfeedthebears Wrote:#31 from Gate City hits the hole like a wild man. GC's offensive line is an impressive looking group. GC has alot of tradition over there, and their fans really get out and support them. Really hope the NATION is out Friday night to get behind our Black Bears. Would have to agree with Yogi on this one- there is alot of false information floating around this forum on Gate City. These dudes play hard and hit you in the mouth. FYI, this is Harlan County's first "Friday night lights" appearence, being as we have played Corbin on a Thursday, Mo-town East and PLD on Saturdays. Glad to be back in the regular swing off things. GO BEARS! .......if you have a 10 ft tall tree with a 3 foot diameter...

I agree don'tfeedthebears, i think we will really have to play hard all 4 quarters to win but if they do, we will leave 3 and 0.
By the way, the answer is 28 regular size squirrels....
Wow! You are really cool...lol
hitemup Wrote:All I am saying is that they have not played any good teams yet. If you are willing to drive to lexington, morristown, gate city, then why not play some good teams within the same radius. Henry Clay, Bowling Green, Scott County, Johnson Central, Anderson County, Alcoa,TN, Maryville, TN, and many more teams in Knoxville are all teams that are within 30 minutes of the farthest distance they have driven so far. They may have contacted these schools and all of them told them "No."

The same reason Keuntucky basketball doesnt schedule the top of the top 25 for their non-conference games. Harlan County has a total of 4 home games and one is Perry Central arguably a top 5 team. SO let's see.....we have Bell, PCC, Knox, all arguably top 5 teams in the mountians, Gate City a state champion, and the remainder of a 5A district schedule.

Bowling Green is not in the same solar system, I don't think it's a great idea to play Maryville or Alcoa at this stage. I have a thought...maybe some of the schools you mention make a trip to Harlan.....Just a thought :popcorn:

Oh yeah and GRC has one of the best backs in the state.......
[IMG][/IMG]

[SIZE="2"]Gonna go with my Black Bears in this...but I think it will be a close game with "certain" things considered

HC-40
GC-27
[/SIZE]
Mountain Wrote:Gate City will be a good test for Harlan Co Friday. I believe the team that Gate City played last week had a D-1 running back.

Harlan Co. 21
Gate City 7

unless Richlands went to a whole new offense, they throw the ball more than anything,so i dont know about a d-1 running,they usally have good qb and wideouts...
Bear_Paw Wrote:The same reason Keuntucky basketball doesnt schedule the top of the top 25 for their non-conference games. Harlan County has a total of 4 home games and one is Perry Central arguably a top 5 team. SO let's see.....we have Bell, PCC, Knox, all arguably top 5 teams in the mountians, Gate City a state champion, and the remainder of a 5A district schedule.

Bowling Green is not in the same solar system, I don't think it's a great idea to play Maryville or Alcoa at this stage. I have a thought...maybe some of the schools you mention make a trip to Harlan.....Just a thought :popcorn:

Oh yeah and GRC has one of the best backs in the state.......

That 5A District (Letcher Central not very good, Whitley County rebuilding very young, Perry Central Good biggest competition for HC) is not the SEC by any means. But look who Calipari has scheduled: Louisville, North Carolina, Kansas, St. Johns...and he has openly stated that he wants to play the best teams. That is how you improve. Ask the Cumberland teams when John Reynolds and Frank Vicini were the coach. They would cruise through the regular season and were not prepared for the postseason. So that comparison is not a good one. I understand that Bell and Knox are both good. That is what I said in my previous post; however, Gate City will be no competition.

In case you didn't know football games are scheduled under a two year agreement: one at home and one away...unless it is a bowl game. So, with the teams that I mentioned they would return the favor of a home game whether it is the first year or the second year.

And to your last statement about the GRC running back...ask the Detroit Lions how that worked out for them with Barry Sanders. One player does not make a good team.

Again, I am not bashing their schedule as they have to play whoever is willing to play them. I said in that post that they may have contacted some or all of those teams and they told them no...I don't know. All I am saying is that I wish that they would play some big time teams so that I could watch some good football games instead of blowouts.

If you want to be the best then you have to beat the best. I think Harlan Co. has a chance to be one of the top teams in 5A.
hitemup Wrote:That 5A District (Letcher Central not very good, Whitley County rebuilding very young, Perry Central Good biggest competition for HC) is not the SEC by any means. But look who Calipari has scheduled: Louisville, North Carolina, Kansas, St. Johns...and he has openly stated that he wants to play the best teams. That is how you improve. Ask the Cumberland teams when John Reynolds and Frank Vicini were the coach. They would cruise through the regular season and were not prepared for the postseason. So that comparison is not a good one. I understand that Bell and Knox are both good. That is what I said in my previous post; however, Gate City will be no competition.

In case you didn't know football games are scheduled under a two year agreement: one at home and one away...unless it is a bowl game. So, with the teams that I mentioned they would return the favor of a home game whether it is the first year or the second year.And to your last statement about the GRC running back...ask the Detroit Lions how that worked out for them with Barry Sanders. One player does not make a good team.

Again, I am not bashing their schedule as they have to play whoever is willing to play them. I said in that post that they may have contacted some or all of those teams and they told them no...I don't know. All I am saying is that I wish that they would play some big time teams so that I could watch some good football games instead of blowouts.

If you want to be the best then you have to beat the best. I think Harlan Co. has a chance to be one of the top teams in 5A.

I'm pretty familiar with how it works...lol. I'd give Coach a call...sound like you got it figured out.:Thumbs:
Mountain Wrote:Gate City will be a good test for Harlan Co Friday. I believe the team that Gate City played last week had a D-1 running back.

Harlan Co. 21
Gate City 7

Richlands has two division I players. Devon Johnson is a linebacker that has already committed to play at Marshall and Josh Hess, a 6-7 offensive lineman that has committed to play at Florida International.
Bear_Paw Wrote:I'm pretty familiar with how it works...lol. I'd give Coach a call...sound like you got it figured out.:Thumbs:

I only made that statement because you said that those teams should come to Harlan and play...big guy Wink
When did Dunbar become a small school as stated by the guy who wants HC to play a pro schedule
Pages: 1 2 3