Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County @ Gate City, VA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well, I don't know much about Gate City personally but, from what I have heard, they sound like the toughest team that Harlan will have faced so far and I think it should be a good game since it is as Gate City! I think they Black Bears still claw their way to a win!

Harlan Co. - 35

Gate City - 21
former Wrote:When did Dunbar become a small school as stated by the guy who wants HC to play a pro schedule

Tell me when I said that. I said small or bad teams. Dunbar is a 6A school so you pick which one they fall under.
hitemup Wrote:That 5A District (Letcher Central not very good, Whitley County rebuilding very young, Perry Central Good biggest competition for HC) is not the SEC by any means. But look who Calipari has scheduled: Louisville, North Carolina, Kansas, St. Johns...and he has openly stated that he wants to play the best teams. That is how you improve. Ask the Cumberland teams when John Reynolds and Frank Vicini were the coach. They would cruise through the regular season and were not prepared for the postseason. So that comparison is not a good one. I understand that Bell and Knox are both good. That is what I said in my previous post; however, Gate City will be no competition.

In case you didn't know football games are scheduled under a two year agreement: one at home and one away...unless it is a bowl game. So, with the teams that I mentioned they would return the favor of a home game whether it is the first year or the second year.

And to your last statement about the GRC running back...ask the Detroit Lions how that worked out for them with Barry Sanders. One player does not make a good team.

Again, I am not bashing their schedule as they have to play whoever is willing to play them. I said in that post that they may have contacted some or all of those teams and they told them no...I don't know. All I am saying is that I wish that they would play some big time teams so that I could watch some good football games instead of blowouts.

If you want to be the best then you have to beat the best. I think Harlan Co. has a chance to be one of the top teams in 5A.

I really wonder why I even post on these things sometimes, lol. Debating on a web site over things that really don't matter, and that nobody really cares what we all think anyways, can become rather useless. I will agree to disagree with you hitemup on this matter. I will, however, like to ask you to not take cheap shots at two great people- Coach Vicini and Coach Reynolds. There's no debate, the non-district schedule at 1A Cumberland was very weak at times to say the least, and probably did hurt them playoff time (even though Coach Reynolds won the first playoff game by a Harlan County team since Evarts in the 90's when the Skins won a 1st rounder in '07). 1A is a different breed, and I'm not making excuses whatsoever. But when you have 20-30 kids on the entire roster and almost all going both ways, health becomes an issue. You want to be healthy going into the distict schedule. CHS's non-district schedule had easier games such Thomas Walker, Jenkins, etc. (no offense to those teams), but also had Somerset, Cawood, Pike Central at various times during those coaches' tenures.
dontfeedthebears Wrote:, but also had Somerset, Cawood, Pike Central at various times during those coaches' tenures.
With all due respect, up until the past couple seasons when John Chapman took the reigns Pike Central hardly qualified as a quality opponent.
dontfeedthebears Wrote:I really wonder why I even post on these things sometimes, lol. Debating on a web site over things that really don't matter, and that nobody really cares what we all think anyways, can become rather useless. I will agree to disagree with you hitemup on this matter. I will, however, like to ask you to not take cheap shots at two great people- Coach Vicini and Coach Reynolds. There's no debate, the non-district schedule at 1A Cumberland was very weak at times to say the least, and probably did hurt them playoff time (even though Coach Reynolds won the first playoff game by a Harlan County team since Evarts in the 90's when the Skins won a 1st rounder in '07). 1A is a different breed, and I'm not making excuses whatsoever. But when you have 20-30 kids on the entire roster and almost all going both ways, health becomes an issue. You want to be healthy going into the distict schedule. CHS's non-district schedule had easier games such Thomas Walker, Jenkins, etc. (no offense to those teams), but also had Somerset, Cawood, Pike Central at various times during those coaches' tenures.

I am sorry if that was taken as a cheap shot. It was not intended to be that way. I was using there names for clarification purposes only because I could not remember the exact years that they were there. I like both Coaches and respect what both of them have done for kids over the years. And I will leave it at that.

I understand that most people will probably not agree with my opinion and that is fine. The only thing that I was trying to say is that I would enjoy watching HC play better teams rather than pounding on lesser opponents. That may be selfish on my part. Coach Larkey clearly knows more than I do and if he thinks that is what is necessary then so be it.

I did not think that I would create a stir by asking for them to play better teams for my enjoyment and their improvement.
hitemup Wrote:To all of the people I have offended, I was not saying that to make people upset and I apologize. I understand that they may have had a hard time scheduling games I will not dispute that. I would just like to watch them play some good teams when they play and not beat up on these small schools or bad teams.

All I am saying is that they have not played any good teams yet. If you are willing to drive to lexington, morristown, gate city, then why not play some good teams within the same radius. Henry Clay, Bowling Green, Scott County, Johnson Central, Anderson County, Alcoa,TN, Maryville, TN, and many more teams in Knoxville are all teams that are within 30 minutes of the farthest distance they have driven so far. They may have contacted these schools and all of them told them "No."

Knox Central was a good addition to their schedule.

Bell County is a good school for them to play as well.

I understand that Gate City won the state championship last year; however, they lost a lot of seniors and would be classified as a large 1A or small 2A school in Kentucky depending on what their male enrollment is. Their enrollment is around 500.

Dunbar was 1-10 last year.

Morristown was 5-5 or 5-6 last year.

Harlan Co. beat Lee high 40-14 last year.

George Rogers Clark was 5-6 last year.

I hope that I have addressed everyone's comments. Again I was not trying to upset people just my opinion, and we know what opinions are like...

I expect you are not a Harlan Co, but just someone trying to run his mouth and cause a problem. Go somewhere else and run your mouth.
hitemup Wrote:I am sorry if that was taken as a cheap shot. It was not intended to be that way. I was using there names for clarification purposes only because I could not remember the exact years that they were there. I like both Coaches and respect what both of them have done for kids over the years. And I will leave it at that.

I understand that most people will probably not agree with my opinion and that is fine. The only thing that I was trying to say is that I would enjoy watching HC play better teams rather than pounding on lesser opponents. That may be selfish on my part. Coach Larkey clearly knows more than I do and if he thinks that is what is necessary then so be it.

I did not think that I would create a stir by asking for them to play better teams for my enjoyment and their improvement.

Don't go watch Harlan Co play. Go somewhere else.
HAT51 Wrote:I expect you are not a Harlan Co, but just someone trying to run his mouth and cause a problem. Go somewhere else and run your mouth.

What??? I am a fan of Harlan County. I do not see what kind of problems that I am trying to cause. I was trying to make the point that I would like to watch them play some better teams than what they have played or are going to play. That is it and nothing more quothe the raven nevermore.
they say gate city is a pretty good team, but il take harlan in this one...by tds!

Unregistered

hitemup Wrote:What??? I am a fan of Harlan County. I do not see what kind of problems that I am trying to cause. I was trying to make the point that I would like to watch them play some better teams than what they have played or are going to play. That is it and nothing more quothe the raven nevermore.

You don't question Coach Larkey around Harlan Co. The natives will get twisted!
Yeah I hear Gate City is pretty good too but the black bears is a mean bunch...
I'll take em in this one.
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:they say gate city is a pretty good team, but il take harlan in this one...by tds!

meant 2 TDS!

Unregistered

Woooooooooo now 1998 and 97 Cumberland played bell in the gridorama and johnson central, hazard, somerset, and Middlesboro. Coached by frazier 96 and vicini in 97 so get your facts straight before you say they played easy games.
I'd be curious if this was Hazard and Gate City what people would thinK...
I agree with your post Bear Paw. Gate City is a very tradition rich program that has several state titles. I do not believe many schools from the mountains would pick up a non-district game like this one.
Bear_Paw Wrote:I'd be curious if this was Hazard and Gate City what people would thinK...

In my opinion Hazard would beat them. It would definitely be a better matchup.

I just do not believe that for 4 quarters Gate City will be able to keep up with the constant pressure that HC can continue to come with both offensively and defensively. HC can keep bringing in kids and not have a whole lot of a drop off in talent and size. Smaller schools can not generally do that. With that being said Gate City may be able to...I do not know. The couple of kids that I knew from Gate City were not comparable to Harlan County players. The ones that I knew started on Defense for them and they were not very athletic but just good old hard nosed country boys.
hitemup Wrote:What??? I am a fan of Harlan County. I do not see what kind of problems that I am trying to cause. I was trying to make the point that I would like to watch them play some better teams than what they have played or are going to play. That is it and nothing more quothe the raven nevermore.

I thought that Morristown East was a very good win. That team is nothing to shake a stick at. Dunbar has some good athletes on their team. If you want to see the Black Bears play a "good" team then come over to Gate City Friday and watch. Hopefully they'll make them look bad too. Scheduling was hard for Coach Larkey. None of our neighbors would play except Bell and Knox, so he did the best he could to get competitive games within a reasonable drive. Year after next when he needs help scheduling, swing by and help him make some calls to these other coaches and see if you can convince some of them to play. Meanwhile the Bears will hopefully improve every game, work on the things they need to, and be ready for district play.
Mama Bear Wrote:I thought that Morristown East was a very good win. That team is nothing to shake a stick at. Dunbar has some good athletes on their team. If you want to see the Black Bears play a "good" team then come over to Gate City Friday and watch. Hopefully they'll make them look bad too. Scheduling was hard for Coach Larkey. None of our neighbors would play except Bell and Knox, so he did the best he could to get competitive games within a reasonable drive. Year after next when he needs help scheduling, swing by and help him make some calls to these other coaches and see if you can convince some of them to play. Meanwhile the Bears will hopefully improve every game, work on the things they need to, and be ready for district play.

This is the last comment that I am going to make about scheduling. I am sorry that everyone is up in arms about it. I never; not one time said that Coach Larkey did not try to schedule better teams. It is unfortunate if other better and bigger teams were contacted and would not play. I am not on the coaching staff so I do not know. I would assume that most of you are not either which leaves you in the same position as me.

As a fan of football and Harlan County High School, I would love to see better games instead of mismatches on the field. I am happy with every game that we win.

However, I will not concede that Dunbar is a good football team. They won 1 game last year, and will at most win 3 this year. I will not concede that Morristown is a good football team. They are an average team. They are probably a little bit better than Dunbar. They will probably have another 5 win season. I do agree with you that Gate City is a good team in there class in Virginia, but is nowhere near the league that Harlan County is in. George Rogers Clark is another mediocre team that will finish with 5 wins. Same for Lee High.

I totally agree with the bolded, italicized statement in your reply. However in my opinion, you do this against teams that are as good or better than you, when you are forced to play every play with complete focus and proper technique. When you are beating up on inferior opponents this can be lost. There is room for these games on the schedule so that kids who would normally not get to play get experience.

I do not believe that you have to play 7 games (non-district) that are against the best teams in the state; however, I believe that at least half of your games should be against teams that are equal or a little bit better. As good as Knox Central and Bell have been in the past couple of years they will not be as good as they were last year due to graduation and coaching changes. These two along with Perry Co. Cent. will be the only 3 challenges on HCHS schedule. I believe that HCHS will finish the regular season 10-0. The remaining 7 games on the schedule should be walks in the park.

AGAIN, I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW MORE THAN COACH LARKEY OR ANYONE ON THE COACHING STAFF. THESE ARE COMPLETELY MY OPINIONS AND IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THEM THEN IGNORE ME. HOWEVER, IF YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT I HAVE SAID UNBIASEDLY THEN I DO NOT SEE HOW YOU CANNOT AGREE WITH WHAT I HAVE SAID.
hitemup Wrote:Their enrollment is around 500.

GC's enrollment is just under 700.
For HC fans planning on traveling over to Gate City, if you want a good seat, try to get there very early and expect the GC fans to flood both sides.
They might want to flood back over to their side after a few minutes with us

:welcome:
I hope they flood the place with tears after a Black Bear win!!! I expect a huge crowd when Black Bear Nation travels across the mountain.
Beamerball Wrote:For HC fans planning on traveling over to Gate City, if you want a good seat, try to get there very early and expect the GC fans to flood both sides.

I read on one Gate City Forum that they will have us 3 Stools and a Port A John. We can pick from them where we set. Says this is a hostile enviroment much like the old days of schools egged, rocked and cuss. I hope this is all untrue. I hope we feel our side and theres with fans.

Unregistered

Beamerball Wrote:GC's enrollment is just under 700.

And Alcoa has less than 500. what does that have to do with the price of eggs in cloverlick?
if you can play, you can play. it doesn't matter if you have 100 or 10000.
Confusedinglepar GAME DAY!!! Confusedinglepar

HC BLACK BEARS by 3 touchdowns

GO BEARS!!!!!!

:letsparty

P.S. thank goodness that HITMEUP promised that was his last comment.
I'll take Harlan by 2 touchdowns.

Unregistered

Commodore_Colonel Wrote:I'll take Harlan by 2 touchdowns.

You hillbillies will think that, just come on over and we will show you rednecks how to play football. We do it right.
Hey, unregistered anonymous CREAM PUFF, the hillbillies are on their way and we'll just see who does it right. The HC BEARS are fired up and ready to go.

GO BEARS!!!!
Black Bear Mama Wrote:Hey, unregistered anonymous CREAM PUFF, the hillbillies are on their way and we'll just see who does it right. The HC BEARS are fired up and ready to go.

GO BEARS!!!!

Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

Unregistered

Granny Bear Wrote:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

Who's going to show you silly hillbillies the way. You probably will make it just in time to see your cubs defeated and game over!
Pages: 1 2 3