•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2011
Belfry0304 Wrote:No chance any game breakers transfer from Belfry to MCHS. I've always heard Melvin is a pitiful coach.

That's your opinion about Melvin, but it may change the future of players crossing the river.
roots rod Wrote:Are you talking about Mingo Central? If so , I think it all depends on who is going to coach. In my opinion if Yogi is coaching then Brlfry and Pike co. central will be ok, if some one else gets the job, ( Melvin Cunningham) then lights out for Pike County schools, all will stay in Mingo, and some of Pike county kids may transfer over to mingo. Now that would be a turnaround!

yea i was talking about kids going to MC, i know my ex step son didnt play last year at Belfry and i talked to him last night, said he prob wasnt going to play this year neither, but might try to go to MC and play..he wore number 8 his freshmen yr, i think cant remember, hes soph this yr
No sir, I have no opinion of Melvin. Know nothing of his work. Only heard.
well anyway, i think 2012, Belfry needs to put them on there schdule, they will prob be a 3a school in WV wont they?should be tuff
cuppett777 Wrote:well anyway, i think 2012, Belfry needs to put them on there schdule, they will prob be a 3a school in WV wont they?should be tuff

I kinda feel like they're going to suck. You have one good 1A team combining with 3 other teams that usually aren't that good... I just can't see them competing.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I kinda feel like they're going to suck. You have one good 1A team combining with 3 other teams that usually aren't that good... I just can't see them competing.

isnt it, matewan, williamson,burch and gilbert?i know gilbert and matewan usally tuff for 1a but u got atleast a couple that can play on the 2others...
cuppett777 Wrote:isnt it, matewan, williamson,burch and gilbert?i know gilbert and matewan usally tuff for 1a but u got atleast a couple that can play on the 2others...

I still don't see them competitive at the 3A level.
i like the teams belfry plays this year and from what i can tell they could easy be undefeated in reg season play. i also feel like some changes has got to be made. before we compete down state. we definetly need quicker db,s which i think will fall in place this year. an a solid passing game.which i would move trenity carr to wide rec along wit howie dotson and drop williams back in the wildcat he can either hand the ball off or hit short passes all day long and when def key on the pass the running game should be unstoppable. belfry,s running game should be a sight to see can,t wait.:redboxer:
mr bojangles 007 Wrote:i like the teams belfry plays this year and from what i can tell they could easy be undefeated in reg season play. i also feel like some changes has got to be made. before we compete down state. we definetly need quicker db,s which i think will fall in place this year. an a solid passing game.which i would move trenity carr to wide rec along wit howie dotson and drop williams back in the wildcat he can either hand the ball off or hit short passes all day long and when def key on the pass the running game should be unstoppable. belfry,s running game should be a sight to see can,t wait.:redboxer:

I think they COULD be undefeated, but it'd be tough. I see at the most 2 losses (Ashland/Henry Clay) next year. You can really do some good things passing out of the flexbone IF that's what Belfry sticks with. I think there alot of good options to play with Howie Dotson at WR. I'd put Howie at corner too, because he's fast and if it came down to it at state, he could catch a faster Central player and slow him down enough for Josh Dixon and the rest of the gang to come pull them down. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked for a second option safety so the QB doesn't play both sides. I think something that will be interesting is the defensive line. The four men who played the most there (Young/Hardin/Gibbs/Mahon) all graduate and even Central could not run up the middle. I have no clue who will take over there. I'd imagine Tuffy Willis at noseguard. I thought Belfry could've ran a good Wildcat package occasionally this past year with Pruitt, he has an arm on him as well as that well known speed. If they would do it again, I'd imagine Trenity Carr would be the Wildcat QB, he's quick and can throw with both hands... it's really something to see he can throw solid accurate passes with both his left and right hand!

There are hundreds of options for the Pirates this year. In Haywood We Trust!
Belfry0304 Wrote:I still don't see them competitive at the 3A level.

i still think they will in a couple yrs be a very solid club for Belfry to play, and its 20min down the road, help on cost...
Melvin is not that good of a coach for him to be as good of a player as he was in his prime. He also cannot seem to keep a job at the high school level as he has jumped around from school to school. He's now coaching girls basketball at Burch and he coaches Burch's midget league football teams also.

Good or bad opinion about him, Yogi is the only person that should even be considered for the job his resume backs him up and he will play the players that will give the team the best chance to win regardless of what school they came from.

As for the 3A comment, for the first year the new school will be 2A and then they will be reclassified by their actual numbers the following year. Being put in this division gives them the chance to be highly competitive their first year if they gel together quickly. Surprisingly the other schools bring in most of what holes they needed to feel from a good Matewan team from last year where a lot of players who constantly saw the field are returning. I believe that they definitely should play Belfry and it could turn into one heck of a rivalry kind of like the one between Belfry and Williamson in the old days if the games prove to be competitive.
PatPatterson Wrote:Melvin is not that good of a coach for him to be as good of a player as he was in his prime. He also cannot seem to keep a job at the high school level as he has jumped around from school to school. He's now coaching girls basketball at Burch and he coaches Burch's midget league football teams also.

Good or bad opinion about him, Yogi is the only person that should even be considered for the job his resume backs him up and he will play the players that will give the team the best chance to win regardless of what school they came from.

As for the 3A comment, for the first year the new school will be 2A and then they will be reclassified by their actual numbers the following year. Being put in this division gives them the chance to be highly competitive their first year if they gel together quickly. Surprisingly the other schools bring in most of what holes they needed to feel from a good Matewan team from last year where a lot of players who constantly saw the field are returning. I believe that they definitely should play Belfry and it could turn into one heck of a rivalry kind of like the one between Belfry and Williamson in the old days if the games prove to be competitive.

Even with holes filled, could Matewan compete 3A?

Yogi is very football knowledgeable but the man has no class whatsoever. He showed his smarts when he nearly upset Prestonsburg this year...
No they couldn't but every team in the county has at least 2 or 3 players that could have started for Matewan this year and more than likely Belfry. This team is definitely not going to be just Matewan. Gilbert will most likely bring in the QB and a big offensive line, Williamson has a beast of a MLB and some receivers, Burch has two big, strong RBs and some decent lineman, and Matewan has a very nice backfield, some strong linebackers, a couple lineman and either two corners or one corner and one safety depending on where they are needed.

I know everyone has this judgement of Yogi being so classless before they have even talked to him or been around him but what has he done for you to think this? I don't mean has he done anything to you personally but what have you heard that made you think this?
PatPatterson Wrote:No they couldn't but every team in the county has at least 2 or 3 players that could have started for Matewan this year and more than likely Belfry. This team is definitely not going to be just Matewan. Gilbert will most likely bring in the QB and a big offensive line, Williamson has a beast of a MLB and some receivers, Burch has two big, strong RBs and some decent lineman, and Matewan has a very nice backfield, some strong linebackers, a couple lineman and either two corners or one corner and one safety depending on where they are needed.

I know everyone has this judgement of Yogi being so classless before they have even talked to him or been around him but what has he done for you to think this? I don't mean has he done anything to you personally but what have you heard that made you think this?

I know but even Matewan with the other kids I think could win 2A but not 3A. Honestly I'm hoping a few of those kids from Matewan come to Belfry, you can private message me and I can name which ones.

I've always heard he just says some very VERY inappropriate things.
Yeah I get what you are saying i'm not talking about them winning it in 3A at all but I think they could make the playoffs and compete i'm not even sure that they could win it in 2A there are 2 or 3 very tough teams in 2A in West Virginia that could arguably beat the top 3A teams year in and year out.

I could probably guess which ones you are talking about and could also probably tell you if there was a chance of that happening or not. I probably know you too honestly if your from Belfry lol.

I seriously doubt though that anybody leaves from Matewan this year with the season they had last year and just because of curiosity of the new school. I would almost guarantee no one leaves if Yogi gets the job, but I have been wrong before and you all always do seem to snatch up a few of our players every couple of years.
PatPatterson Wrote:Yeah I get what you are saying i'm not talking about them winning it in 3A at all but I think they could make the playoffs and compete i'm not even sure that they could win it in 2A there are 2 or 3 very tough teams in 2A in West Virginia that could arguably beat the top 3A teams year in and year out.

I could probably guess which ones you are talking about and could also probably tell you if there was a chance of that happening or not. I probably know you too honestly if your from Belfry lol.

I seriously doubt though that anybody leaves from Matewan this year with the season they had last year and just because of curiosity of the new school. I would almost guarantee no one leaves if Yogi gets the job, but I have been wrong before and you all always do seem to snatch up a few of our players every couple of years.

Guilty. But I can honest to God say we don't recruit them. As students, yes, but the coaches and staff, definitely not.
Yeah I know that wasn't what I was meaning and I can see why most of them go, occasionally we can match the success but not the facilities or the atmosphere of the CAM on Friday nights but not many places can.

Hopefully we can get something like that going next year with the facilities and especially the atmosphere and that should help keeping everyone in their right place.

You can message me or whatever if you want and i'll tell you who I am and i'll see if I know you cause i'm wanting to know know which players you were talking about now lol.
With all that is going on in mingo I heard the May kid was coming to Belfry
Very, very, very unlikely but like I said who knows and it's happened before.
False Hope Wrote:With all that is going on in mingo I heard the May kid was coming to Belfry
Thats not going to happen now that Coach Kinder got the Head Coaching job.
Does Belfry have a large group of returnees? I know from watching Eastern KY football over the past three years that Belfry is always good, usually better as the season progresses.

I saw them play only one game last year, and that was against Sheldon Clark, and I thought they looked very good, with quite a few skilled players in the lineup.

It appears that Belfry has a great coach, and the young men want to work hard for him and the team.

You have probably detected I am a Sheldon Clark fan, especially if you've read any of my other posts, and after referenceing the Belfry Sheldon Clark game, but I have a very high regard for the Belfry program. I would think they are the favorite in the District for 2011.
Kinder got the job at Mingo? I don't know much about WV football, where is Kinder from?
they have alot of returning starters from last year, the qb,both full backs,most of the line,couple of wr, and on defense serval, going to be hard to beat if they progress like they did last year, there is so holes to fill but they will be fine..i may have left out some...
no doubt belfry will be good like all ways
can they compete with bell co. since they dropped won to 3A?
bigdog1 Wrote:can they compete with bell co. Since they dropped won to 3a?

i seriously doubt them even coming close to bell county cause cory davenport is still there
roots rod Wrote:That's your opinion about Melvin, but it may change the future of players crossing the river.

Melvin is a great coach for players of any age he would make MC a better progam but until they win games players will stay where they are at this is why they come to Belfry because they win games 2011 will be a very good year for the Pirates.
Yes Yogi Kinder got the head coaching job at Mingo Central and he is from Matewan, Melvin Cunningham was hired as the assistant coach.

These two tried to work together at Matewan a few years ago and they clashed to the point where Melvin eventually quit. I guess we'll see how it works this time around, only time will tell.
SCHS#70 Wrote:i seriously doubt them even coming close to bell county cause cory davenport is still there

but they will be alot closer to beating them than SC
SCHS#70 Wrote:i seriously doubt them even coming close to bell county cause cory davenport is still there

cuppett777 Wrote:but they will be alot closer to beating them than SC

Corey Davenport is a great player but not the whole team. And, yes, on a given night Belfry would be very competitive.

As far as Sheldon Clark goes, they just might surprise a few people in 2011. But at this point, it's all conjecture.

Good luck to all.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next