• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2011
How does everyone think they will be?
Belfry will be the pre-season favorites in the Eastern Semi-State.

Belfry returns 3/4 of their backfield including their QB, key Offensive Linemen, both DE's and LB's, and their entire secondary except for Francis.

Key Losses: HB Jeffree Pruitt, DT Micah Mahon, SE/DB Josh Francis, SE/DT Stephen Gibbs, NG Preston Young, OG Garett Francis

Mahon and Young will be toughest void to fill. Mahon was dominant at times and Young was very good against the run. SE (sadly) is interchangeable for Befry every year, and they are very deep at DB.

Pruitt was Belfry's home run hitter at HB and the feature back. Belfry will fill his void with more work for Willis, who became a very good back by season's end , and by probably giving Justin Johnson more carries. Johnson has the speed and quickness to take over for Pruitt if he continues to develop.

Defensively, Gary Runyon and Josh Dixon both are fantastic players and will more than liekly have All-State caliber seasons next year. Sani Warren had 6 INT's despite only playing half the season, and Belfry's young LB's will be significantly better.

The keys for Belfry this offseason heading into next year:
- Develop an intermediate passing game. Williams has a good arm, but Belfry simply cannot hope for the deep ball as their only passing game. Belfry will have no problem running the football and shouldn't experience any significant drop off between now and the start of the season.

- Fill the void in the middle. The defense will be fine, but the 2 DT's and the NG position will need someone to step up and fill big shoes.If Belfry can fill this void I expect the 2011 defense to be significantly improved over the 2010 final product by about Week 6.

- Get bigger! Nature will help as some of the younger Bucs physically mature, but it is imperative that the Belfry skill players hit the weights hard in the offseason and get stronger. Too many missed tackles on defense and not enough arm tackles ran through on offense this year.

-Timing and the small things. Turnovers, inopportune penalties, and mental lapses burdened this year's team all season and they still won in spite of these up until Lou. Central. This can be expected with a young team, but next year's squad will have no excuse. Central was a better team, but not 46-7 better.. Belfry made Saturday's game a blowout with these mistakes I mentioned.

-Special Teams. Belfry cannot let teams start every drive from the 40 yard line like this year's squad. Punting, Kickoffs, and their subsequent coverage have to improve. Too often Belfry was having to defend 60 yards, while their offense was having to drive 80.
Agree! I think many will overlook Belfry next year but they will be suprised. Believe this or not, Belfry had a ton of talent standing on the sidelines just waiting their turn!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Belfry and Central are my favorites to return back to the title game.

From the east Belfry will need to get past Lawrence and Breathitt. I dont know much about Mason.

In the west Tighlman and Bell will be the challenge to Central.

I agree with everything in EKUALUM's post. Central will be fully loaded again next yr.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry will be the pre-season favorites in the Eastern Semi-State.

Belfry returns 3/4 of their backfield including their QB, key Offensive Linemen, both DE's and LB's, and their entire secondary except for Francis.

Key Losses: HB Jeffree Pruitt, DT Micah Mahon, SE/DB Josh Francis, SE/DT Stephen Gibbs, NG Preston Young, OG Garett Francis

Mahon and Young will be toughest void to fill. Mahon was dominant at times and Young was very good against the run. SE (sadly) is interchangeable for Befry every year, and they are very deep at DB.

Pruitt was Belfry's home run hitter at HB and the feature back. Belfry will fill his void with more work for Willis, who became a very good back by season's end , and by probably giving Justin Johnson more carries. Johnson has the speed and quickness to take over for Pruitt if he continues to develop.

Defensively, Gary Runyon and Josh Dixon both are fantastic players and will more than liekly have All-State caliber seasons next year. Sani Warren had 6 INT's despite only playing half the season, and Belfry's young LB's will be significantly better.

The keys for Belfry this offseason heading into next year:
- Develop an intermediate passing game. Williams has a good arm, but Belfry simply cannot hope for the deep ball as their only passing game. Belfry will have no problem running the football and shouldn't experience any significant drop off between now and the start of the season.

- Fill the void in the middle. The defense will be fine, but the 2 DT's and the NG position will need someone to step up and fill big shoes.If Belfry can fill this void I expect the 2011 defense to be significantly improved over the 2010 final product by about Week 6.

- Get bigger! Nature will help as some of the younger Bucs physically mature, but it is imperative that the Belfry skill players hit the weights hard in the offseason and get stronger. Too many missed tackles on defense and not enough arm tackles ran through on offense this year.

-Timing and the small things. Turnovers, inopportune penalties, and mental lapses burdened this year's team all season and they still won in spite of these up until Lou. Central. This can be expected with a young team, but next year's squad will have no excuse. Central was a better team, but not 46-7 better.. Belfry made Saturday's game a blowout with these mistakes I mentioned.

-Special Teams. Belfry cannot let teams start every drive from the 40 yard line like this year's squad. Punting, Kickoffs, and their subsequent coverage have to improve. Too often Belfry was having to defend 60 yards, while their offense was having to drive 80.
EKU ..there was OT Cameron Tackett and number 16 Morgan Bentley that made those holes open on the O-line...They have started since they were sophomores..Cameron was the OG for the past two years but moved to tackle when Casey Lester was ruled ineligle..They def made a difference on the O Line! That is why that O line was a dominant force this yr!
blazin_ky Wrote:EKU ..there was OT Cameron Tackett and number 16 Morgan Bentley that made those holes open on the O-line...They have started since they were sophomores..Cameron was the OG for the past two years but moved to tackle when Casey Lester was ruled ineligle..They def made a difference on the O Line! That is why that O line was a dominant force this yr!

Of course,,,but Belfry will always have a revolving door of OL who step right in and get the job done. In Haywood's program the OL runs like a conveyor belt. I don't see the Pirates going in retograde on the OL next year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Of course,,,but Belfry will always have a revolving door of OL who step right in and get the job done. In Haywood's program the OL runs like a conveyor belt. I don't see the Pirates going in retograde on the OL next year.

Just don't see your reasoning then...because Garett, Cameron, and Morgan worked together there..Why mention one and not the other two...lol....
blazin_ky Wrote:Just don't see your reasoning then...because Garett, Cameron, and Morgan worked together there..Why mention one and not the other two...lol....

They are mentioned now..
3A picks up a couple of thumpers in 4A Bell dropping and 2A Corbin moving up...any of the three (including Belfry) could challenge along with Breathitt for the Eastern half next year. So I'm not sure that they are the Prohibitive Favorite from the East next year, but will be in the discussion.

That said the Pirates will have my full support next year and I wish them nothing but the best.....of course my Briar Jumpers are getting pushed back to 2A so it is a little easier to get behind the Pirates.

This Belfry team was a young and get a lot back, I look for them to be a tough team to handle next year. I just watched the finals and thought that Belfry played better than the score showed. Central had a def speed advantage but in many cases Belfry player was in position to make a play but many times took bad angles to the ball, (which will kill you against a speed team) that should improve with experience. I not taking anything away from Central but I they are not the New England Patriots, things just seemed to snowball against the Pirates.

Good luck next year!!!

My bad I just remembered that Bell and Corbin are in WESTERN KY next year :lol:
just wondering who the other half back may be?one will probally be filled by jj, i know one who has the speed, but hasnt played there much since middle school,(howie dotson)i know robinson played all year, but had some trouble holding onto the ball at times,at qb, i think you got to stay with williams, sani will get his chance, the de need to get more speed, they done fine until the faced Central,all in all the will be tough..
Justin Johnson is going to do special things at Belfry, I can't wait to watch him next year. He should have actually seen a little more time this season IMO.
Belfry_99 Wrote:Justin Johnson is going to do special things at Belfry, I can't wait to watch him next year. He should have actually seen a little more time this season IMO.
I agree... Johnson is about 15 pounds from being a starter as far as I am concerned. The kid has the "it" factor when he runs. He has the speed, the agility, the explosion, and the vision,,, what he lacks is physical maturity, strength, and experience.

Right now I don't think he is physically ready to withstand the rigors of being an every down back. To be the feature back at Belfry you have to not only be able to run with the ball and know the playbook..you also have to hold on to the ball when 5 guys are hitting you, you have to be able to carry playfakes out and take the hit, you have to be able to block, and you also have to be able to run the veer if needed which is akin to suicide. The physical demands are why you only see a handful of Freshman ever contribute at HB, Doug Howard and Dustin May were physical specimens and thus they were able to. If Johnson can have a productive year in the weight room it is feasible he could be ready for this, but his work is cut out for him.
has the schdule been completed?i know PCB,P-burg,SC,LC,PCC,Ashland,E.Ridge,JC,that leaves to,probally misses them..
Belfry is lacking one game. Whitley and Letcher Central wouldn't play. Lawrence County is now in the district.
joethegreek Wrote:Belfry is lacking one game. Whitley and Letcher Central wouldn't play. Lawrence County is now in the district.

i got them down, oh Pikeville makes 9, whos the last one joe, and do they play Boyd IN PCB, thought they played them in that 2 yrs ago
No one has brought this up, but does anyone know for sure Josh Robinson can play next year? He's taken some pretty nasty head shots in the 2 years I've known him and might not be able to play football?

I also think if they asked him to choose between football & basketball he'd choose basketball. In that case Josh Dixon would step in at halfback.
Jumper Dad Wrote:3A picks up a couple of thumpers in 4A Bell dropping and 2A Corbin moving up...any of the three (including Belfry) could challenge along with Breathitt for the Eastern half next year. So I'm not sure that they are the Prohibitive Favorite from the East next year, but will be in the discussion.

That said the Pirates will have my full support next year and I wish them nothing but the best.....of course my Briar Jumpers are getting pushed back to 2A so it is a little easier to get behind the Pirates.

This Belfry team was a young and get a lot back, I look for them to be a tough team to handle next year. I just watched the finals and thought that Belfry played better than the score showed. Central had a def speed advantage but in many cases Belfry player was in position to make a play but many times took bad angles to the ball, (which will kill you against a speed team) that should improve with experience. I not taking anything away from Central but I they are not the New England Patriots, things just seemed to snowball against the Pirates.

Good luck next year!!!

My bad I just remembered that Bell and Corbin are in WESTERN KY next year :lol:

Who ever comes out on top in the East, I will be rooting for them, for the West has dominated for way too long.

District 8 is a very competitive district, with Belfry, Lawrence County, (now that they have moved down to 3A) Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark, and East Ridge.

At this time, I'm sure, Belfry would be considered the favorite, but strange things can and will happen. So we shall see in 2011 how things shake out.
Tackett and francis will be giant holes to fill on the o-line, both leaders and knew their job so well. Saying that i have said in other post that this soph o-line will be the most dominant to ever come through belfry. Tuffy, jude taylor, dotson and may, could all start next year. May earned a couple starts early in the season, just wasnt strong enough to hold on to it. He also started dt at johnson central and o-line in the championship both due to injury. May was totally dominant in jv. And with a good year in the weight room could be equally dominant on friday nights in 2011
Since this thread also talks about 3A in general, don't count out Fort Campbell in the west, which is moving up from 2A where they had a three peat as state champs and Mr. Football Antonio Andrews. The Falcons had an off year last year. But they have shown in the past they have the ability to reload and draw on talent from a nationwide base.
MADJACK75 Wrote:Tackett and francis will be giant holes to fill on the o-line, both leaders and knew their job so well. Saying that i have said in other post that this soph o-line will be the most dominant to ever come through belfry. Tuffy, jude taylor, dotson and may, could all start next year. May earned a couple starts early in the season, just wasnt strong enough to hold on to it. He also started dt at johnson central and o-line in the championship both due to injury. May was totally dominant in jv. And with a good year in the weight room could be equally dominant on friday nights in 2011

Dotson is no longer on the team and won't be next year.
Actually, while on the subject...

Timmy May, Jonathan Aldana, Preston Dotson, Austin Dotson, and Joe Adair will not be on the team next year. I also heard today that Henry Clay will be on the schedule next year.
cuppett777 Wrote:has the schdule been completed?i know PCB,P-burg,SC,LC,PCC,Ashland,E.Ridge,JC,that leaves to,probally misses them..

We also play Henry Clay this year, Coach Haywood came in and told some of us while we were watching film.
belfry will have a great team next year. it all should fall in place.first of all i would like to say that the freshman running back for belfry may be kinda short but he is solid muscle looks like superman when he is down to his boxers . solid as a rock don,t let his height fool u.he is the type of back who needs at least 15 carries a game not 3.should he had played more this year yes. he was dangerous this year to.always thought the right combination this year was for pruitt and johnson and willis.but sometimes us fans don,t get what we want.tony messer should be a beast on defence next year see allstate on this kid. hate that mahon.TongueirateSho is leaving big present on the line.you know what they say life deals u lemons make lemonade. good luck pirates
SlapHands Wrote:We also play Henry Clay this year, Coach Haywood came in and told some of us while we were watching film.

thats another solid schdule, what game is it?is it home and home or what?
I may be wrong about the 5 players listed above. Anyone know anything?
Belfry0304 Wrote:I may be wrong about the 5 players listed above. Anyone know anything?

i heard samething, but wasnt going to list it, so how knows
Belfry0304 Wrote:I may be wrong about the 5 players listed above. Anyone know anything?

Just miss the first 2 games...Yes James May is and was a beast on the O Line when he got to play on Varsity! He will be a force to contend with....Just get used to the O Line never getting credit...or someone giving the credit to one particular player when it is a team effort and that line's timing and blocking works together like a tandem..I have listened to it for eight years...lol..:yawn:
blazin_ky Wrote:Just miss the first 2 games...Yes James May is and was a beast on the O Line when he got to play on Varsity! He will be a force to contend with....Just get used to the O Line never getting credit...or someone giving the credit to one particular player when it is a team effort and that line's timing and blocking works together like a tandem..I have listened to it for eight years...lol..:yawn:

As a mother, I understand that it is easy to become sensitive when you believe that your child is not getting the recognition he or she deserves, but come on? Everyone here has talked about the line playing well, and, in fact, the line as a whole was named player of the game a couple of times this year! We may not always call these kids out by name, but any true football fan knows that these children are the meat and potatoes of your team! Everyone appreciates their contribution, but, often, there are too many special kids to list them all when in discussion.... no one has ever discounted the line for anything they have accomplished.... so, I will say it again, there are big shoes to fill on the line... I hope the young'uns can play with as much heart and desire as these graduating seniors!
PHS95 Wrote:As a mother, I understand that it is easy to become sensitive when you believe that your child is not getting the recognition he or she deserves, but come on? Everyone here has talked about the line playing well, and, in fact, the line as a whole was named player of the game a couple of times this year! We may not always call these kids out by name, but any true football fan knows that these children are the meat and potatoes of your team! Everyone appreciates their contribution, but, often, there are too many special kids to list them all when in discussion.... no one has ever discounted the line for anything they have accomplished.... so, I will say it again, there are big shoes to fill on the line... I hope the young'uns can play with as much heart and desire as these graduating seniors!
Thanks so much PHS and I know that the group that is left with the legacy will do just that because I know these boys all too well! They are good guys that play with much heart! As for the sensitive issue...I think anyone that knows me or my son would vouch for the fact that recognition is not and issue! I have read EKU's post for years and felt him to be "on the nose" in most case scenerios; however, I didn't see the reasoning of naming one child on that line and not the other senior members when all three of them were equally as effective. Like I said...I have known these boys very well and they each feel like sons of mine...I have been with most of them for years...They are at my house or my son at theirs...I have fed them on Thursdays for four yrs...So, yes I do tend to want to take up for one of them when I feel as if they are being slighted. They get on this site and read these post too! Although, I have advised them not to pay attention to what people say on here...lol...Good thing they haven't or we wouldnt have made it past the first round of playoffs! Bottom line...they are kids!! Give credit where its due! Even if you have to take the time to type a few more words! Just because they are a unit..they have names and work equally as hard!!! Call me picky if you want, but sensitive I am not! I stand firm on the idea that each child should be recognized for their individual contributions. When you start name individuals in a dynamic then don't leave someone out...especially if they are a major contributing factor...
blazin_ky Wrote:Thanks so much PHS and I know that the group that is left with the legacy will do just that because I know these boys all too well! They are good guys that play with much heart! As for the sensitive issue...I think anyone that knows me or my son would vouch for the fact that recognition is not and issue! I have read EKU's post for years and felt him to be "on the nose" in most case scenerios; however, I didn't see the reasoning of naming one child on that line and not the other senior members when all three of them were equally as effective. Like I said...I have known these boys very well and they each feel like sons of mine...I have been with most of them for years...They are at my house or my son at theirs...I have fed them on Thursdays for four yrs...So, yes I do tend to want to take up for one of them when I feel as if they are being slighted. They get on this site and read these post too! Although, I have advised them not to pay attention to what people say on here...lol...Good thing they haven't or we wouldnt have made it past the first round of playoffs! Bottom line...they are kids!! Give credit where its due! Even if you have to take the time to type a few more words! Just because they are a unit..they have names and work equally as hard!!! Call me picky if you want, but sensitive I am not! I stand firm on the idea that each child should be recognized for their individual contributions. When you start name individuals in a dynamic then don't leave someone out...especially if they are a major contributing factor...
name oops...naming*
  • 1(current)
  • Next