Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things don't look good for Enes Kanter
If he get's ruled ineligible we should all pitch in and rent 4 or 5 big vans and make the trip to Indianapolis and protest!.lol
MisterPerfect Wrote:If Cam Newton gets to play, Enes should too!

2 totally different situations
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:2 totally different situations

Yeah Newtons dad wanted the money.
Stardust Wrote:No, this is about a player being ruled a professional athlete, not about receiving money or gifts.
Actually, that is not the case. Here is the wording laid out by the NCAA:

The NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff has ruled University of Kentucky men’s basketball student-athlete Enes Kanter permanently ineligible for receiving benefits above his actual and necessary expenses while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey.

Actual and necessary expenses are defined by NCAA rules and generally relate to a player’s expenses directly necessary for practice and competition on a team. Some examples include meals and lodging directly tied to practice or competition, coaching, medical insurance and transportation tied to practice or competition.

“Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed,” said Kevin Lennon, the N.C.A.A.’s vice president of academic and membership affairs.

When you look at what was laid out there, never was the word "professional" used to describe Kanter. All that was said was that he received more money than he should have. Isn't that exactly what Josh Selby, Renardo Sidney, Corey Maggette, and even John Wall were accused of? Why can all of these players pay back the money (minus Maggette, who somehow got by with all of this) and still play, yet Kanter can't pay the money back? That is my question. All of these players received money, yet Kanter is the only one ruled ineligible.

And you want to throw out the "professional" term, how about looking up Dee Bost from Mississippi State. He did not remove his name from the NBA draft, which then means you are considered a pro, but the NCAA allows him to sit out a few games and return to Mississippi State because "he didn't understand the rules". If that's the case, you think a group from Turkey, who can barely speak English, knew word for word the rules of the NCAA? It's all bull, hypocrisy, and whatever other term you want to throw out there.
BCF4L Wrote:Actually, that is not the case. Here is the wording laid out by the NCAA:

The NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff has ruled University of Kentucky men’s basketball student-athlete Enes Kanter permanently ineligible for receiving benefits above his actual and necessary expenses while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey.

Actual and necessary expenses are defined by NCAA rules and generally relate to a player’s expenses directly necessary for practice and competition on a team. Some examples include meals and lodging directly tied to practice or competition, coaching, medical insurance and transportation tied to practice or competition.

“Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed,” said Kevin Lennon, the N.C.A.A.’s vice president of academic and membership affairs.

When you look at what was laid out there, never was the word "professional" used to describe Kanter. All that was said was that he received more money than he should have. Isn't that exactly what Josh Selby, Renardo Sidney, Corey Maggette, and even John Wall were accused of? Why can all of these players pay back the money (minus Maggette, who somehow got by with all of this) and still play, yet Kanter can't pay the money back? That is my question. All of these players received money, yet Kanter is the only one ruled ineligible.

And you want to throw out the "professional" term, how about looking up Dee Bost from Mississippi State. He did not remove his name from the NBA draft, which then means you are considered a pro, but the NCAA allows him to sit out a few games and return to Mississippi State because "he didn't understand the rules". If that's the case, you think a group from Turkey, who can barely speak English, knew word for word the rules of the NCAA? It's all bull, hypocrisy, and whatever other term you want to throw out there.

I guess we will see this week. Based on their comment regarding Newton and professional, the NCAA explicitly was inferring to Kanter. I'd love to hold out hope like everyone else, but it's not going to happen.
Late Friday, as most Kentucky fans were bracing for the NCAA to rule on Turkish forward Enes Kanter's eligibility appeal, Kentucky released a rather intriguing statement. Kanter's appeal hadn't been decided either way. Instead, the school had "new information" it planned to present to the NCAA in the hopes of getting Kanter eligible after all.

Seeing as both sides have agreed to the major facts of the case -- that Kanter received around $33,000 during his developmental time in the Turkish club Fenerbahce -- what could this new information be? Here's a hint. The new information starts with a "C", and ends with "am Newton."

How do we know this? Given the similarity between the two situations, and the NCAA's loophole-y decision to reinstate Newton despite the apparent recruiting abuses by his father, Cecil, it's not exactly a difficult guess. But we don't have to guess, because someone told ESPN.com's Andy Katz as much Friday:
A source with knowledge of Kentucky's plan told ESPN.com the NCAA's decision on Auburn quarterback Cam Newton prompted the new approach. [...] Kentucky then requested an appeal in front of the reinstatement committee that was scheduled for this week. But the Newton decision forced the school to alter its approach. [...]

Kentucky is hopeful that the same committee will now look differently at the case after the Newton decision. Kentucky has maintained that Kanter intended to be an amateur by pursuing an education in the United States as a senior in high school and then as a freshman in college instead of going directly to a professional team in Europe, considering he was a rare foreign player who was a lottery lock but wanted to be a college player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketbal...-uk-kanter
They need to make a decision. No sense in dragging it out this long. Either he is eligible or he isn't.
Stardust Wrote:I guess we will see this week. Based on their comment regarding Newton and professional, the NCAA explicitly was inferring to Kanter. I'd love to hold out hope like everyone else, but it's not going to happen.

How do you know?:HitWall:
Kanter and UK gave the NCAA new information that can hopefully set the big man free. We should be hearing something of this very soon.
I know a lot of you might think badly of the NCAA, but at least they're admitting that they might have made a mistake in their decision for Enes Kanter and they're going to look at it again. I actually expected something like this to be swept away so this could be hidden before anyone started complaining.
king360 Wrote:How do you know?:HitWall:

I guess in the same way as you think it will:HitWall::popcorn:
king360 Wrote:Yeah Newtons dad wanted the money.

Enes dad wanted a house and everything lmao
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:Enes dad wanted a house and everything lmao

Link ?
nikolas2010 Wrote:Link ?

:Thumbs:

Maybe Pitino could hook him up a place at Porcini.
nikolas2010 Wrote:Link ?

I'd say you just ran him away from the site for a while..
Good job by you.

Idk if you understand what you are saying or even know what your talking about..
But the Kanters are a very wealthy family, Enes' dad is a Dr. for you wise one's out there that didn't know.
^Doesn't mean he still wouldn't like a new house lol
Can a brother get some ENES news?.lol
Ballers Wrote:Idk if you understand what you are saying or even know what your talking about..
But the Kanters are a very wealthy family, Enes' dad is a Dr. for you wise one's out there that didn't know.

So why even take money period? I don't agree with the poster that said the Kanter's were looking for a house, but they obviously did expect to be compensated, correct???? They may be wealthy, but they did not intend to use wealth as a means to say I'll play for free to ensure my son's elligibility. Maybe there is a question of confusion of what they could and could not take, but they obviously never said "I won't take anything"!
Stardust Wrote:So why even take money period? I don't agree with the poster that said the Kanter's were looking for a house, but they obviously did expect to be compensated, correct???? They may be wealthy, but they did not intend to use wealth as a means to say I'll play for free to ensure my son's elligibility. Maybe there is a question of confusion of what they could and could not take, but they obviously never said "I won't take anything"!

DUST!!!..you know they were forced to take that money!lol
king360 Wrote:DUST!!!..you know they were forced to take that money!lol

LOL :Thumbs:

I don't care how wealthy they are, you take what you can get. Wealthy people are not wealthy because they expect handouts, they are wealthy because they don't have to spend their own money and they are intelligent enough on how to get more. I'm not making accusations that they asked for more than what has been reported, but I **** sure know they did not go in and say we will play for free! So we can throw the wealth part of the argument out of this ballers.
I think they knew he wanted to come to UK so they offered him more just so he would be ineligible.lol
I know that enes dad is Dr. Thats why it makes no sense for them to take "benefits" of up to 33,000$ in value.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Benchwarmer Wrote:Maybe Pitino could hook him up a place at Porcini.

Maybe, that would be a great place for enes to stay!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:I know that enes dad is Dr. Thats why it makes no sense for them to take "benefits" of up to 33,000$ in value.

If I was a doctor and was offered "benefits" of up to 33k I would take them.
And it would make A LOT of sense.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Maybe Pitino could hook him up a place at Porcini.

theVILLE Wrote:Maybe, that would be a great place for enes to stay!

Ville.

So your saying Porcini's would be a great place to stay for Enes.
Do you even know the relevance as to why Benchwarmer said that?
Please advise.
Ballers Wrote:Ville.

So your saying Porcini's would be a great place to stay for Enes.
Do you even know the relevance as to why Benchwarmer said that?
Please advise.

it may be a little hot in there to get a good night sleep.:brunettec
Keep the thread on topic and debate all you want. BUT do NOT make it personal about another poster. Take it to PM and be civil!
UK Basketball: UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart gives no new information on Kanter

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...7287.story

I dont know if its a good thing or bad thing that it is taking this long, but something needs to happen, its getting a little ridiculous...