Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things don't look good for Enes Kanter
LEXINGTON, Ky. –— The biggest game for the University of Kentucky men's basketball team this week did not happen in Tuesday night's 91-57 throttling of Boston University.

It won't even happen Saturday in Chapel Hill, N.C.
It is happening in an office on the UK campus, where school officials and Enes Kanter will speak to the NCAA reinstatement committee, appealing an NCAA decision that ruled Kanter permanently ineligible for receiving $33,033 in benefits above his “actual and necessary” expenses from the Turkish club team Fenerbahce in 2008-09.
After what happened to Indiana's Guy-Marc Michel, I don't like his chances.
Here's what Michel did to be ruled ineligible and lose his appeal, the announcement of which came Tuesday night: He went to school.
That's right. Michel enrolled in a French university and took some classes. And that's why he won't be allowed to play NCAA basketball.
We're not talking about signing with an agent. Michel did play on a club team in France and played with some pro players –— but that's allowed now. It was not, however, allowed when he did it, and because he had already enrolled in a French college at the time, his NCAA five-year “clock” started ticking, and that's that.
The committee ruled that by the time he sat out his suspension, his five-year window for playing NCAA basketball from the time when he took his first college course would have closed.
Kanter's situation is entirely different, of course. But the rule violation is just as cut-and-dried. He got money beyond what he was allowed to get.
In the NCAA's eyes, Kanter has been ruled a professional, and that's a tough one to put back into the bottle. We're not talking about getting money from an agent or runner or booster, but actual money for playing basketball.
Kanter likely will argue that he used some of that money to pay for school and didn't use the rest at all.
But if the NCAA isn't going to show any lenience to a kid who enrolled in college early (not to play basketball, mind you, but to actually learn), then I don't see the same committee showing any to a guy who received money from a club team to play basketball, even if he used some of that money to pay for school.
I could be wrong. Predicting what the NCAA is going to do is a little like trying to predict what Charles Barkley is going to say next.

But here's the other part of UK's interior equation. While Big Blue Nation is screaming “Free Enes,” Josh Harrellson, the same one who had his Tweeting privileges revoked by coach John Calipari for voicing displeasure earlier this season, seems to have been set free himself.
I don't know how the senior will fare against the best competition. I do know that against Connecticut, he played his tail off.
And I know that after he had another double-double, 12 points and 11 rebounds against Boston U., Terriers coach Patrick Chambers declared him “perfect for this team. He doesn't need the ball. He doesn't demand it. … He does everything you want a center to do. He plays ball screens great, rebounds the basketball. He's the mother hen out there. You hear him talking the whole time. He covers for everybody.”
So there you have it. The NCAA may or may not grant UK its big man from Turkey. But regardless, the Wildcats will still have their mother hen.
Reach Eric Crawford at (502) 582-4372 or [email]ecrawford@courier-journal.com[/email]. Comment on this column, and read his blog and previous columns, at http://www.courier-journal.com/crawford
Sad
I'm mostly sadden because if ruled ineligible this means JH starts the rest of the year Sad Sad Sad
Aslan Wrote:Sad
I'm mostly sadden because if ruled ineligible this means JH starts the rest of the year Sad Sad Sad

get used to it,lol, when i 1st seen people posting JH , i thought they meant Joh Hood , until i read the rest of the post,lol
cuppett777 Wrote:get used to it,lol, when i 1st seen people posting JH , i thought they meant Joh Hood , until i read the rest of the post,lol

UK has a weak link on the court at all times when JH is in.
And I wish it meant Jon Hood!
Don't get your news from a Louisville journalist.If Cam Newton gets cleared to play,there is still hope for Kanter.An announcement should be very soon.Dicky V. said the appeal was heard today.Free Enes! That is all.
RadioVeteran Wrote:Don't get your news from a Louisville journalist.If Cam Newton gets cleared to play,there is still hope for Kanter.An announcement should be very soon.Dicky V. said the appeal was heard today.Free Enes! That is all.
How is journalist, a columnist in this story, from Louisville any different than any other newspaper?
What does the Indiana player's situation have to do with Kanter's?

It's like comparing an apple to a water buffalo.
Well didn't another freshman receive money and was allowed to sit out a couple of games and pay the money back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
For some reason I have a good feeling about this..
They will have the answer to all of this either today or tomorrow I seen on ESPN.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Well didn't another freshman receive money and was allowed to sit out a couple of games and pay the money back.

yep. Josh Selby Kansas Guard i think he has to sit out 9 Games and pay several thousands of $$$ back to a charity of his choosing
Strikeout King Wrote:yep. Josh Selby Kansas Guard i think he has to sit out 9 Games and pay several thousands of $$$ back to a charity of his choosing

Yeah, I believe he gets to come back when conference play starts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Why are UK fans even worried about this? They have Josh Harrellson.
If Cam Newton can get cleared to play, anything is possible for Enes Kanter.
Yea, cuppett I'm not so sure if I would be sad yet or not.. There is still hope for the big Turkish Machine.
The money that Selby has to pay back is like $5,600 dollars, not $33,000 that the NCAA said that Kanter and his family accepted over what was determined to be enough for expenses
Westside Wrote:Why are UK fans even worried about this? They have Josh Harrellson.

Yeah you've said this enough. It's getting old.
I hope kanter gets elgible. I really do! However I dont think he will! i mean sure selby got elgible but kanter took 7x more than what selby did! Also if they clear kanter to play then all the turkish players will expect to get elgible. But i say FREE ENES! UK really needs a big man rigtht now
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
OK, so after all the rumors and reports in the Cam Newton pay-for-play investigation, the NCAA and Auburn have agreed on the following set of facts:

“The student-athlete’s father (Cecil Newton) and an owner of a scouting service (Kenny Rogers) worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton’s commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.”

Developments in this case have been dizzying. Just this week … The NCAA determined Monday that a violation of Newton’s amateur status had occurred. Auburn ruled the quarterback ineligible Tuesday and requested he be reinstated. By Wednesday, the NCAA restored his eligibility because it “does not have sufficient evidence” to prove that Cam Newton knew his father was trying to sell him.

So, it’s no big deal. Bylaw 12.3.3 is nothing.

Wait … what?

Cecil Newton tried to get $180,000 to $200,000 for his son to play football and the NCAA said, hey, no problem?

Now that is one heck of a precedent to set. Hey Pandora’s box, see you on signing day.

“That’s the most amazing thing I’ve heard in over four decades of being around college and high school sports,” said Sonny Vaccaro, the retired sneaker czar, hoops middle man and player confidant who admits he’s been around hundreds of major recruiting battles through the years. He’s a longstanding advocate of player rights and was, on some level, overjoyed that the NCAA was shooting itself in the foot.

“The NCAA just gave cover to every middle man in the country,” Vaccaro said. “The kids never know. In all my years, I’ve never heard of a kid being involved in the negotiation. You think they ask? Of course not. Their mom asks. Their coach asks. Their cousin asks. This is crazy.”

Step back from the specifics of how this case involves the best player on the best team heading into the SEC championship game and likely the BCS title game (which Auburn may reach even with a loss Saturday). If you look at it globally, it’s a head-scratcher.

The NCAA just ruled that as long as the player denies he knew anything about being shopped around – even by someone as close as his own father – then there is no penalty. And let’s not give any credit to the NCAA banning Cecil Newton from associating with Mississippi State (why would he anyway?) and allowing just “limited” association with Auburn, a school they’ll leave in the tail lights one minute after his son’s final game. That’s the biggest non-penalty penalty of all time.

At this point, why wouldn’t the parent of every recruit in America ask about getting paid? What’s the harm, right? Just do it behind your son’s back – or at least pretend. You might as well see what’s out there, even if it’s just for the fun of it.

If Newton Can Play then Free ENES~
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Yeah you've said this enough. It's getting old.

It's the truth.
theVILLE Wrote:I hope kanter gets elgible. I really do! However I dont think he will! i mean sure selby got elgible but kanter took 7x more than what selby did! Also if they clear kanter to play then all the turkish players will expect to get elgible. But i say FREE ENES! UK really needs a big man rigtht now

There's no telling how much money he actually took.
Selby wasn't from overseas, so he had to repay every dime he took.
Kanter had 33k over what was deemed eligible, but we'll never know how much he actually took lol
One thing that will help Enes is that if he is declared eligible and has to pay back a ton of money, there are a TON of boosters ready to help Big Grin
His father will pay it. They have money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Westside Wrote:Why are UK fans even worried about this? They have Josh Harrellson.

Haters gonna Hate.
MVP2 Wrote:Haters gonna Hate.

I'd much rather have Enes than Harrelson.
The NCAA is the most inconsistant force in the world. They will enforce a rule on one pplayer but not on another.
Cam Newton's situation is not that different form Reggie Bush's and we all know how that went but yet, Newton is ok to play? Selby took money, gets to pay it back, oh wait Kansas is paying for him and that's ok? Kanter and his dad turned down millions and done everything within the rules to keep him eligible but yet it was deemed he took too much and can't play? Also in Kanter's situation it hurts the chances of any international players trying to get into college ball now.

Either they all play or none play.
Ballers Wrote:I'd much rather have Enes than Harrelson.

I'd rather have Deron Williams instead of Derek Fisher too....
but that's all we got Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:I'd rather have Deron Williams instead of Derek Fisher too....

I agree. You have Harrellson, who is a beast. You may not get Kanter. Be happy with the beast. By the way, I'm not a UK hater. I may not be a huge fan, but I'm not a hater.

Ok daddy. :biggrin:
zaga_fan Wrote:I'd rather have Deron Williams instead of Derek Fisher too....

Good Post Zaga.
I'd rather have 5star recruits every year in football too, but we got to play with the cards that are dealt.

Hey, ya gotta love the sarcasm.