Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask The Coach . . . . . . . . .
IF you get a chance--drop me a line at my bluegrassrivals email address (so I can get your email address). Just click on it below.
i want to know some records
"pete rose" Wrote:i want to know some records

What kind of records?

Any sport in particular?
Do you remember Josh ellis and Danille caruthers?
Hillbilly, you were right! I talked to a guy who coached at Bourbon and he said the class that won it went undefeated as freshmans. Have a Q for you. W hat kind of D do you run when your not very big or strong and physically cannot line up in 2 and 4 techniques without getting blown of the ball? do you reccomend a cov.3 in the secondary? been trying to run pressure D ( from Middlesboro) 7 man front but it seems when you do give up a big play it goes to the house.
"vince" Wrote:Hillbilly, you were right! I talked to a guy who coached at Bourbon and he said the class that won it went undefeated as freshmans. Have a Q for you. W hat kind of D do you run when your not very big or strong and physically cannot line up in 2 and 4 techniques without getting blown of the ball? do you reccomend a cov.3 in the secondary? been trying to run pressure D ( from Middlesboro) 7 man front but it seems when you do give up a big play it goes to the house.

Vince---
In regard to defense--I need to know a little more about your personnel before I give a suggestion. But--when you think about the pressure front that Middlesboro uses--you need to have 11 athletic players who can run. If you don't have 11--then you can't recover (and like you say--they are going to the house).

1. Are you big/slow, big/fast, little/slow, little/fast, quick
2. What positions are you best players in right now.
3. What kind of D-line do you have (quick, strong, etc--be descriptive)
4. What kind of LB's do you have (see above)
5. What kind of DB's do you have (see above)
6. What has been your base front in the past against the pass (I hope it isn't the 7 man pressure front)

With a little more background--I am sure that we can come up with something.

We use C3 as a base coverage. But from there, we do a lot of things that other teams don't do (which has a lot to do with our d-coordinator--who is now the head coach). But, if you don't have the best athletes in the world, it is a solid base coverage.
My younger brother is a HB/CB....he is a decent athlete, with little strength or size.
What can he do to imrove overall athleticism, while putting on the pounds?
He is:
5'8"
135 lbs.
bench:160 squat:300
40:4.85
Ok hillbilly,
We have a couple pretty good inside backers, strong kids prob. about 210 to 215, not real fast but have a nose for the ball and love to hit. Prob. the best true football players on the team. Our d-tackles are around 220-230, not real strong, but do get off the ball pretty good. Our d-ends have been killing us, we've pretty much been playing kids who more fit the bill of d-tackles, prob. around 215 to 210, that run at best prob. a 5 flat 40. Good atheletic db's, but just seems they were never disciplined
in the cover 3.Day after day we worked with them on cov. 3, but never failed in a game they would leave their zones or would not come up on the run! Man, it drove me crazy. We've got 2 good linebackers, avg, d-line without alot of strength , decent speed and good atheletes in the secondary, but seems no matter what i try, we just couldn't get it done. What would you suggest?
To add,
From top to bottom, not that many atheletes or strength at all.
Kids will play hard but seems were just getting outran or getting ran over.
Now lets say you got a team, couple of good inside backers, that will shut down inside the tacklebox, but aren't fast enough to help you against anything wide. Your front 3 d-linemen, cant physically whip people, but do play hard and get off the ball. Plus you got good atheletes in the secondary and we ended up using db's as outside backers cause we really had no choice if you know what i mean.
vince--

Here are my initial thoughts--

You could get by with what we do (but I am not going to get into too much detail)
Base: 53 (C3)
Pass: 43 (Man/Zone Combo)

Personnel-wise--the first thing that we would do is move the 2 good ILB's to DE's. Move the toughest one to the strenght of the offensive formation and the faster one to the wide side of the field. We have made the the conversion to moving our best players at DE. They need to SQUEEZE and be good enough to contain the outside. (But squeezing down as often as possible takes pressure off of the d-line--and will keep them away from being 2 gap players).

From there--your next best players need to be at OLB. They should probably be the most talented athletes on the field. They have all of their normal reads with the exception that they need to be quick enough to constantly recover to the outside. In C3--they are going to have their normal pass reads (flats/hook to curl/etc). They should also be quick enough to run tandem stunts with the DE's (but mainly weakside pressure stunts--where the DE's should be able to drop into the OLB's coverage).

In the 53, your D-Line doesn't have to be great. And--you can make them one gap players. If you have a QUICK nose--your MLB only has to be able to realistically play from B to B. (Naturally--it is great if he can play C to C--but most high school kids are not that good to begin with). At that point, (especially if this is EKY) we would do a lot of pinch stunts with the DT's (Inside step to clog B gap) with the DE's squeezing down as well).

For a change up or definite passing situations, you can make an easy move to the 4-3. We play a lot of man and C3 out of it (with a spy on the other teams best player).

If this doesn't go into enough detail--let me know. (Some more direct questions also help me get the ball rolling here).
hillbilly, i am a fresman who started Morgan Co. Varsity Football last year at a mere 175lbs. I need some help on improving my strength and putting on weight so that i can step up for the team next year. I am taking protein and creatine but are their any thing else you could suggest. I now weigh about 185 w/ a 300lb squat, 175 lb clean, 190 lb bench, and 260 lb deadlift. I am about 5'11' and 15 years old. I play linebacker and center. And I switch up my 2 a day routine usually once every 2 months. I am open to any and all suggestions.
"morganfresh" Wrote:hillbilly, i am a fresman who started Morgan Co. Varsity Football last year at a mere 175lbs. I need some help on improving my strength and putting on weight so that i can step up for the team next year. I am taking protein and creatine but are their any thing else you could suggest. I now weigh about 185 w/ a 300lb squat, 175 lb clean, 190 lb bench, and 260 lb deadlift. I am about 5'11' and 15 years old. I play linebacker and center. And I switch up my 2 a day routine usually once every 2 months. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Good questions--I can tell you up front--we do not advocate the use of supplements with the exception of protein. Creatine has its benefits--but you are honestly going to do just as much for yourself if you continue to lift and eat right.

The key for your lifting is to continue to pursue supplemental lifts. (Not just your base package).

In regard to supplements--there is one thing that hits along the lines of protein/amino acids that could help to increase your recovery time--which gives you more time to lift successfully. Look up something called "Sat-ur-8". Again--keep in mind--if you really want to gain weight--chances are--you are not going to. Your body is designed to handle a certain amount at this age. And besides--if you are playing center and LB--you need to be just as concerned with your speed/quickness--which could be affected by more weight on your frame.

The true key is eating right--sweet potatoes, peanut butter, red meat, high carbs are not going to hurt either.

If I were you--I wouldn't be all that concerned. You sound like you have solid size for your age. You are going to continue to get bigger with age.

If you want something more formalized--send me a pm.
"Smokey" Wrote:My younger brother is a HB/CB....he is a decent athlete, with little strength or size.
What can he do to imrove overall athleticism, while putting on the pounds?
He is:
5'8"
135 lbs.
bench:160 squat:300
40:4.85

Any suggestions? He is a Soph.
We have tried a lot of different things. Weight gainer supplements, lots of protein, etc.
The weight is just tough for him to put on.
"Smokey" Wrote:Any suggestions? He is a Soph.
We have tried a lot of different things. Weight gainer supplements, lots of protein, etc.
The weight is just tough for him to put on.

Smokey--

IF you could--send me a pm and give me a little more information. For instance--a little more detail around what he currently is doing for workouts (weights, running, etc.) Also--a good idea of his diet or any supplements that he may be taking.

What piece of his game does he really want to work on?
What is he really good at (strengths)?
What are his weaknesses as a player?
What kind of teams do you play?

Sorry to keep you waiting. I missed the post. But--if you could pm me--we will get started right away.
thats cool
i agree!
what do you think about female h.s. track athletes lifting weights
[quote author=dawgs1013 link=topic=17323.msg205178#msg205178 date=1141663737]
what do you think about female h.s. track athletes lifting weights
[/quote]

I think that it is absolutely necessary.

We try to tailor our lifting to event specific lifts--the girls seem to enjoy that because it makes a lot of sense to them. But---all of our runners lift--whether it be sprinters or distance or jumpers.
I was wondering if there is a rule anywhere about 7th & 8th graders being picked for a high school team before the highschoolers are?
There is no official rule that governs who makes a team and who doesn't.

Now, a high school can not pick up kids who are too young (I think the athlete must be in at least 7th grade).

Depending on the situation, I would have to wonder why a coach would want to make a move like that. It could have something to do with developing talent over an extended period of time.

But honestly, I would need to know a little more about the situation before I weighed in too much.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:There is no official rule that governs who makes a team and who doesn't.

Now, a high school can not pick up kids who are too young (I think the athlete must be in at least 7th grade).

Depending on the situation, I would have to wonder why a coach would want to make a move like that. It could have something to do with developing talent over an extended period of time.

But honestly, I would need to know a little more about the situation before I weighed in too much.

The reason for me asking is that my daughter tried out for the softball team and was cut. She is a freshman, but they took 3 eighth graders and 3 seventh graders.
If eastern Kentucky would adopt western Kentucky's mentality, schools would offer middle school softball in the fall and varsity softball in the spring. Coaches would have high school girls with the fundamentals of the game entering high school, and the middle-schoolers could participate in track or volleyball in the spring. Keep them active, and they are more likely to succeed at all aspects of life. Also, unless the program is strapped for money or the young lady is not a "young lady", I don't understand why any coach would cut one who wants to play. I know a coach in the 15th who "keeps them all" as long as they have a love and respect for the game of softball and for those who play it.
eagerbeaver Wrote:If eastern Kentucky would adopt western Kentucky's mentality, schools would offer middle school softball in the fall and varsity softball in the spring. Coaches would have high school girls with the fundamentals of the game entering high school, and the middle-schoolers could participate in track or volleyball in the spring. Keep them active, and they are more likely to succeed at all aspects of life. Also, unless the program is strapped for money or the young lady is not a "young lady", I don't understand why any coach would cut one who wants to play. I know a coach in the 15th who "keeps them all" as long as they have a love and respect for the game of softball and for those who play it.

I agree with a lot of what you write--but it is not financially feasable to keep all/every kid in the program (depending where you are).

When it comes down to it--coaches are usually looking for one thing--the best players make the team--and the best players play. People may feel like their kids are better or deserve to make the team over a younger player--but the coach usually has a little better idea when it comes to talent.