Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask The Coach . . . . . . . . .
We are going to try something new (as an experiment) in this forum.

I have served as a football coach for the past 11 years.
I have served as a head coach/program adminstrator in track for 7 years.
I have served as a head cross country coach/program administrator for 7 years.

In order to continue the progress of BluegrassRIVALS.com, we would like to offer our services to any athlete or person who would like a "behind the scenes" view into the life of a high school coach.

We also encourage ANY/ALL questions--everything from:
*Recruiting Topics
*X's and O's
*Running/Jumping/Throwing Advice
*Football scheming
*Behind the scenes--a view at the life of a coach (everything from sitting at home, to preparation, to the feeling of coaching in a state championship game)
*Coaches commentary
*Training/Conditioning (Sport Specfiic)
*Running Strategy

Plus--anything else that you may want to ask.

So--fire away. I will respond as quickly as possible.
I had read somewhere on here back during the fall that cross country teams have been limited to the number of meets or out of state meets that they can attend or something of that nature. Can you expand on that and what exactly is the reason behind this?

CD
Great question, Cat.

To expand on the cross country situation a little bit--

*During cross country season, an athlete is allowed to run in 13 meets (not counting the regional/state). And a team can compete in 2 practice meets (that can actually occur after the official start of the regular season).

*A runner must run in at least four (4) meets to be eligible to run in their respective regional (these can be middle school meets, freshman meets, jv meets or varsity meets).

*KY runners are not necessarily restricted from running out of state, but if they do venture outside of state lines, they can only compete against schools that are members of their state athletic associations (so--no Pikeville vs. Oak Hill Academy type meets--because they are not part of the Virginia High School athletic association).

*There are ways around that. If the runners participate as "unattached" runners. But then, they can have no affiliation with the school, the high school coach and can not be funded by the school in any manner. Matter of fact, I couldn't even go to the meet.

*The cool thing is--that rule really hurts indoor track. But the assistant commission worked to let our runners compete against unattached athletes (or not attached to their high school athletic association) for this season (since there are so few indoor meets in the state)--until they find a better resolution for the sport.

The thing to remember--track and cross country have more silly rules than any other sports--and it is HARD to keep up with them. But it is also very rewarding (and a lot more fun than people think).

Hopefully, I answered your questions! Thanks for being #1 Cat!
So how many meets can they actually compete in during the year? The next thing is a little of the top but what are the best track surfaces for them to run on, which are the faster tracks?
"Batpuff" Wrote:So how many meets can they actually compete in during the year? The next thing is a little of the top but what are the best track surfaces for them to run on, which are the faster tracks?

In cross--it is 13. In track (as of last year) it is 4 indoor meets and 10 outdoor meets (not counting the regional/state).

The best surfaces--another great question. The best is a synthetic surface known as "Mondo". It is like a really hard (but still flexible) rubber. It is hard enough where you can get up on top of the surface, and there is hardly any bounce (like some of the other rubber surfaces)--so all of a runners motion is heading forward (not up and down). This is what most of your Olympic level tracks are made of.

From there, you basic sythetic surface (rubber, crushed up tires, shedded Nike shoe soles, etc) are next in line. They are usually great for sprinters, but take a little bit away from the distance runners (again--to much up and own). That can usually be counter-acted by some forward lean (which the sprinters are usually running with). A lot of high schools have these types of tracks now. And it is a good thing for injury prevention (especially since so many schools are running higher mileage now-a-days).

Last on my list, are the old asphalt, concrete or performance coated asphalt tracks. They are bad for traction. They are bad for injuries (because the surface is so unforgiving). They are bad for speed. I am under the impression that the distance runners run faster on them at times. (Again--no up and down bounce--all forward motion).

I hope I filled in the blanks here . . . . . If not--give me a yell!
how long does a cross country race last?
"Blackcat75" Wrote:how long does a cross country race last?

The standard Varsity distance for boys and girls is 5000 meters (or aka: 3.1 miles).

JV usually runs the same distance.
Middle school usually runs 3000 meters or 1.8 miles (but also run 3200 meters or 2 miles).
Elementary usually runs 1 mile.
Thanks KHB.

Does the KHSAA list the track and cross country meets on their website? If not how can someone find out when an even is coming up. Would love to check out a good cross country meet.
The KHSAA does not list meets on their website, but there are 2 great sites full of information:

http://www.ktccca.com (look on the left hand side of the screen and it breaks the sports down--there is also track schedules, results, etc at this site as well)

http://www.KYTrackXC.com (this site has even more information--you can do specific area ratings for events, cross country, etc)
Thanks KHB I knew I could never find any real info before.
Everyone--

Also--I do have a "little bit" of football knowledge that I am willing to share.

Also--are there any current high school students who have any questions?
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:The KHSAA does not list meets on their website, but there are 2 great sites full of information:

www.ktccca.com (look on the left hand side of the screen and it breaks the sports down--there is also track schedules, results, etc at this site as well)

www.KYTrackXC.com (this site has even more information--you can do specific area ratings for events, cross country, etc)

Umm... are you sure that www.ktccca.com is the right website? or is it www.ktccca.org? Because I tried clicking on the first one and it took me a strange website that had a bunch of links and stuff. Just wondering because I didn't know.
Just wondering, but what would be the best way to build up my top speed? I usually beat everyone off the line, even at state. They just pass me after I reach top speed.
"jcvolleychicks" Wrote:Umm... are you sure that www.ktccca.com is the right website? or is it www.ktccca.org? Because I tried clicking on the first one and it took me a strange website that had a bunch of links and stuff. Just wondering because I didn't know.

My fault. I have it bookmarked--I haven't actually typed the address in years.

http://www.ktccca.org
"JCRunningMachine#17" Wrote:Just wondering, but what would be the best way to build up my top speed? I usually beat everyone off the line, even at state. They just pass me after I reach top speed.

This is a tough one 17--not knowing you as well as I know my own athletes--I am going to give you a couple of different thoughts on the subject:

Speed is the hardest thing in the world to develop--there are only a few way to acutally get "faster".

1. The first thing that pops into my head is that you need more BASE training. From what I hear about you 17, you are very FAST. So it surprises me that you are getting out--and then getting caught. Right away, it sounds to me like you are fast until a certain point in the race, then everyone turns it on. You need to ask yourself/your coach if you are in shape to run 100% of your maximum speed for a 100 meters (or whatever the distance). Your first thought may be yes--but more often than not, sprinters are not running their top speed for the entire duration of their race. If you are that fast, you should not be caught from behind. This tells me that you are not doing enough base training (combined with sustained speed work). For this issue, we would have the runner get some solid BASE (some mileage), combined with some interval work (for a 100 meter runner--we would WORK TO--not start with 4 sets of 300 meters x 4 reps with 30 to 40 seconds in between) (for a 200 meter runner we would WORK UP to 4 x 400 meters x 4 reps with less than 60 seconds rest in between). The base work is key (because you have to have built up enough miles to handle your intervals in the first place).

2. IT also sounds like you could stand to train to "change gears" during your race. We would do a series of build ups (with 100, 200, 300, 400 meters--with 25%/50%/75%/100%--meaning that for a 200 meter dash you would do the following:
1st 50 meters: 25%
2nd 50 meters: 50%
3rd 50 meters: 75%
4th 50 meters: 100%

And so on with the different distances. For you--I would work on "changing gears" with shorter distances--like 40, 60, 80, 100 meters. And remember--divide your distance by 4, from there--at each segment--you increase to the next percentage.

3. There is one thing that has really helped our turnover (which will also help your speed). DOWNHILL running. This is something that takes some time to get used to. You want to get a slight forward lean and gradually increase your speed (downhill) for a distance of 250 to 300 meters. Again--this will take a while to get used to--but you will definitely feel your legs working to increase the number of times that your feet hit the ground.

Again--the key here is also to build speed ENDURANCE. (Getting used to running fast for a LONGER period of time).

If any part of this doesn't make sense--let me know. Also--if you need me to clear something up--just tell me which part.

Like I have said before, 17--a kid like you who has speed (really good speed) needs to work on your speed endurance either way. The key is to be able to run all 4 events for their entire duration--not just one race as fast as you go--then you progressively get slower. To do that--YOU HAVE TO BUILD A BASE OF ENDURANCE--DOING A DIFFERENT TYPE OF RUNNING THAT YOU ARE USED TO!

Again--let me know if I need to clear things up. And--thanks for asking!
well this isnt as much a what to do, but a more of where to find stats and rankings on the web for high school b-ball, and KHSAA isnt that great.
"Batpuff" Wrote:well this isnt as much a what to do, but a more of where to find stats and rankings on the web for high school b-ball, and KHSAA isnt that great.

Very good point, Bat.

The problem is that the KHSAA makes it "optional" for coaches/teams to send in their statistics. Some coaches honestly don't have time. But it is always somethign that can be caught up on by the end of the week.

That is the cool thing about the www.KYTrackXC.com website. There are great track/cross country stats. It also includes some cool area ranking options as well.

You would think that they could up with something a little cooler for the "sport of our state".
KHB here you go
http://www.statsandgo.com
KHB just found out that the coach has to reg and then send the stats in themselves, but it is still a good site.
Sweet Bat.

I will try it out. Thanks!
There are only a few schools in Ky on there at this time. Here is an example of it.

This is Shawn Thompson stats per gam for offense.

Opponent QTR 2PM 2PA 2P% 3PM 3PA 3P% FG% FTM FTA FT% PTS
PAINTSVILLE HIGH 0 12 26 46.15 1 2 50 46.43 4 8 50 31
PAINTSVILLE HIGH 0 11 26 42.31 1 4 25 40 1 2 50 26
MAGOFFIN COUNTY 0 3 8 37.5 0 0 0 37.5 6 8 75 12
JOHNSON CENTRAL 0 5 9 55.56 1 2 50 54.55 1 3 33.33 14
EAST RIDGE 0 9 21 42.86 1 2 50 43.48 4 5 80 25
FAIRVIEW HIGH SC 0 8 15 53.33 0 3 0 44.44 4 6 66.67 20
GREENUP COUNTY H 0 12 16 75 0 1 0 70.59 8 12 66.67 32
ELLIOTT COUNTY H 0 10 15 66.67 0 2 0 58.82 5 6 83.33 25
BREATHITT COUNTY 0 5 12 41.67 1 1 100 46.15 4 9 44.44 17
LEWIS COUNTY HIG 0 2 3 66.67 0 0 0 66.67 1 1 100 5
ROSE HILL CHRIST 0 3 8 37.5 1 4 25 33.33 6 9 66.67 15
SOUTH LAUREL HIG 0 3 7 42.86 1 4 25 36.36 2 2 100 11
SHELDON CLARK HI 0 9 15 60 1 3 33.33 55.56 4 5 80 25
SHELBY VALLEY HI 0 7 15 46.67 1 1 100 50 8 8 100 25
TOLSIA HIGH SCHO 0 8 11 72.73 1 2 50 69.23 0 0 0 19
BELFRY HIGH SCHO 0 6 8 75 1 2 50 70 1 2 50 16
RUSSELL HIGH SCH 0 14 22 63.64 1 6 16.67 53.57 5 8 62.5 36
LETCHER HIGH SCH 0 12 15 80 0 3 0 66.67 8 10 80 32
Totals 0 139 252 55.16 12 42 28.57 51.36 72 104 69.23 386
That is some pretty solid work.

I wish that the coaches would get together and make a committment to using a site like this. I mean, really--it only helps their players. And a lot of coaches have managers, assistants who would be more than happy to supply the information to a site like this.

We already do this in a lot of other sports (cross/track for sure).
Yea KHB it would make a lot of sense. O think when coach Trimble was at JC last year he did because you can open there page up but no stats put in for this year. I know thathe does it for LC.
How can i build speed alot of it im a linebacker and i run a 6 flat on the 40
The Machine--check this out (from page 1 of this post).

Re: Ask The Coach . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRunningMachine#17
Just wondering, but what would be the best way to build up my top speed? I usually beat everyone off the line, even at state. They just pass me after I reach top speed.

This is a tough one 17--not knowing you as well as I know my own athletes--I am going to give you a couple of different thoughts on the subject:

Speed is the hardest thing in the world to develop--there are only a few way to acutally get "faster".

1. The first thing that pops into my head is that you need more BASE training. From what I hear about you 17, you are very FAST. So it surprises me that you are getting out--and then getting caught. Right away, it sounds to me like you are fast until a certain point in the race, then everyone turns it on. You need to ask yourself/your coach if you are in shape to run 100% of your maximum speed for a 100 meters (or whatever the distance). Your first thought may be yes--but more often than not, sprinters are not running their top speed for the entire duration of their race. If you are that fast, you should not be caught from behind. This tells me that you are not doing enough base training (combined with sustained speed work). For this issue, we would have the runner get some solid BASE (some mileage), combined with some interval work (for a 100 meter runner--we would WORK TO--not start with 4 sets of 300 meters x 4 reps with 30 to 40 seconds in between) (for a 200 meter runner we would WORK UP to 4 x 400 meters x 4 reps with less than 60 seconds rest in between). The base work is key (because you have to have built up enough miles to handle your intervals in the first place).

2. IT also sounds like you could stand to train to "change gears" during your race. We would do a series of build ups (with 100, 200, 300, 400 meters--with 25%/50%/75%/100%--meaning that for a 200 meter dash you would do the following:
1st 50 meters: 25%
2nd 50 meters: 50%
3rd 50 meters: 75%
4th 50 meters: 100%

And so on with the different distances. For you--I would work on "changing gears" with shorter distances--like 40, 60, 80, 100 meters. And remember--divide your distance by 4, from there--at each segment--you increase to the next percentage.

3. There is one thing that has really helped our turnover (which will also help your speed). DOWNHILL running. This is something that takes some time to get used to. You want to get a slight forward lean and gradually increase your speed (downhill) for a distance of 250 to 300 meters. Again--this will take a while to get used to--but you will definitely feel your legs working to increase the number of times that your feet hit the ground.

Again--the key here is also to build speed ENDURANCE. (Getting used to running fast for a LONGER period of time).

If any part of this doesn't make sense--let me know. Also--if you need me to clear something up--just tell me which part.

Like I have said before, 17--a kid like you who has speed (really good speed) needs to work on your speed endurance either way. The key is to be able to run all 4 events for their entire duration--not just one race as fast as you go--then you progressively get slower. To do that--YOU HAVE TO BUILD A BASE OF ENDURANCE--DOING A DIFFERENT TYPE OF RUNNING THAT YOU ARE USED TO!

Again--let me know if I need to clear things up. And--thanks for asking!

If that doesn't make sense--let me know which part you need me to clear up!
I need some help getting my bench press up fast. Are there and types of exercises that are good for increasing bench press max. Right now i am doing 5 sets of 5 bench press every monday wednesday and friday. Is this a good routine? Do you have any suggestions?
"Eagle Football" Wrote:I need some help getting my bench press up fast. Are there and types of exercises that are good for increasing bench press max. Right now i am doing 5 sets of 5 bench press every monday wednesday and friday. Is this a good routine? Do you have any suggestions?

1st Question: Where are you at right now?
2nd Question: Height/Weight?
3rd Question: Age (just for the sake of safety).
4th Question: Are you doing wide or close grip bench?
5th Question: How fast is "fast" (because it takes time . . . .)
6th Question: What position do you play?

To start: 5 sets of 5 everyday--that makes me a little nervous. If you are doing the same workout everyday--you are going to plateau in a hurry.
Back when I was in school, we did a variation of this workout--but it was a little more detailed. And, we did it with every exercise. Now, where I spend my time with football, we usually only do close grip bench--and it is more of a technique exercise as opposed to strength building.

But, to make an easier transition with your current workout (and I am assuming that this workout is something that your coach or weightlifting coach has given you). Keep in mind--we are used to training a little different (where the bench is considered an auxilary lift), so--I am JUST trying to transition into your current workout . . . . . .

Week 1: 6 sets of 6 (50% of your max)
Week 2: 5 sets of 5 (75% of your max)
Week 3: 4 sets of 4 (85% to 90% of your max)

The key here--is to try and finish your sets--if you can't, then you can lower your weight. It is okay to struggle a LITTLE BIT--but nothing more.

Also--depending on where you are at currently, one of the things that we do (which we consider resistence training/weight controlling)--is the "negative" bench. Instead of pushing weight up from your chest--you are going to use a comfortable weight--with a spotter (which you should always be doing) You will start in the "up" position, and SLOWLY lower the weight (resist the weight coming down to your chest--and make sure the spotter always has his hands on the bar). When you get to within an inch of your chest--push the weight back up, under control back to the up position, repeat rep. We do these in burnout sets--but I would start with 3 x 6 AFTER you have finished your workout.

Again--I do not consider this to be the "ideal" workout overall. But I do think it is best for your transition. If you answer the questions above--I can/will work on something better for you.
Thanks, here are the answers to the questions:
Right now i am 6'4 and 185 lbs.
16 years old
Its not really a wide grip, but not closed either, its about right in the middle.
I would like to have a pretty good increase before season starts.
I am a quarterback.....lol...this probably gives my idientity away, but o well.
I will check back later with the thread......thanks

"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:1st Question: Where are you at right now?
2nd Question: Height/Weight?
3rd Question: Age (just for the sake of safety).
4th Question: Are you doing wide or close grip bench?
5th Question: How fast is "fast" (because it takes time . . . .)
6th Question: What position do you play?

To start: 5 sets of 5 everyday--that makes me a little nervous. If you are doing the same workout everyday--you are going to plateau in a hurry.
Back when I was in school, we did a variation of this workout--but it was a little more detailed. And, we did it with every exercise. Now, where I spend my time with football, we usually only do close grip bench--and it is more of a technique exercise as opposed to strength building.

But, to make an easier transition with your current workout (and I am assuming that this workout is something that your coach or weightlifting coach has given you). Keep in mind--we are used to training a little different (where the bench is considered an auxilary lift), so--I am JUST trying to transition into your current workout . . . . . .

Week 1: 6 sets of 6 (50% of your max)
Week 2: 5 sets of 5 (75% of your max)
Week 3: 4 sets of 4 (85% to 90% of your max)

The key here--is to try and finish your sets--if you can't, then you can lower your weight. It is okay to struggle a LITTLE BIT--but nothing more.

Also--depending on where you are at currently, one of the things that we do (which we consider resistence training/weight controlling)--is the "negative" bench. Instead of pushing weight up from your chest--you are going to use a comfortable weight--with a spotter (which you should always be doing) You will start in the "up" position, and SLOWLY lower the weight (resist the weight coming down to your chest--and make sure the spotter always has his hands on the bar). When you get to within an inch of your chest--push the weight back up, under control back to the up position, repeat rep. We do these in burnout sets--but I would start with 3 x 6 AFTER you have finished your workout.

Again--I do not consider this to be the "ideal" workout overall. But I do think it is best for your transition. If you answer the questions above--I can/will work on something better for you.
Eagle--I have your info. Give me a day or so . . . . . we talked about you during weights today. And, I definitely think that we can help you.

What did you think of the workout listed?
It sounds good, im going to try it out. Just let me know of anything else.