Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Jumpers
64.38%
Bobcats
35.62%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset @ Breathitt Co. 11/19
Norm Peterson Wrote:Then why did you vote for Breathitt County in the poll? You and Gitback Coach confuse the heck out of me.....:biggrin:but then again that doesn't take much. Either way, good luck at Harlan County Friday. Hopefully we have 2 Region Champs in Pulaski County again this season.

Oh, Somerset was down 7-0 early and 7-6 at halftime to Southwestern in the Correll Bowl before winning 23-7.
Couldn't help myself! Had to make it look good anyway. Can't have everyone picking the Jumpers. LOL!!!!
Norm Peterson Wrote:I know anything can happen in a high school football game. I guess my main point is a lot of posters are making a point of if Breathitt plays well then they will win. My question is that if both teams play to their full potential do they think Breathitt is better than Somerset? Obviously if Breathitt plays their best and Somerset doesn't it will be a long night for the Jumpers. However, I just feel like Somerset is more experienced and a little better than the Bobcats this season. I think if both teams play to their potential the game belongs to Somerset--but by no means do I expect it to be easy.

Either way we'll find out Friday. I'm looking forward to coming to Jackson, I've seen the field on WYMT and it looks like a great atmosphere for a football game. I was on the chain crew last year during the playoff game and the Bobcat coaches and players were first class. They have nothing but respect from me. I'm pulling for my Briar Jumpers to win but if they don't I'll be for Breathitt the rest of the way.
I agree with ya. It will be an upset in my mind if Breathitt wins. The Bobcats are young, but anything can happen. I predicted earlier Somerset by 14+, and I am sticking with it even though I hope I am proven wrong. The answer to your question regarding the teams playing their best is Somerset wins if both teams play their best because of Breathitt's lack of defense.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

BC gives up way too many points to have a chance in this one. 34 to Casey and 24? to Wayne. If you give up that many to those teams, Somerset could score 75. The only way to beat Somerset is ball control and hope Somerset turns it over a couple times!
zebra'seyes Wrote:BC gives up way too many points to have a chance in this one. 34 to Casey and 24? to Wayne. If you give up that many to those teams, Somerset could score 75. The only way to beat Somerset is ball control and hope Somerset turns it over a couple times!

Wayne County scored 26 on Breathitt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I think it will be almost the same as last year. High scoring but Somerset will be too much in the end. 56 to 36.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The thing about Prestonsburg is that they always play at another level against Breathitt. That in my opinion made that win more eye opening. I know you were not being smart.

P-burg sure as heck didn't "play at another level against Breathitt" this year. Confusedhh:

My previous post was primarily intended to point out the schizophrenic nature of Bobcat football of late. It's one of the biggest mysteries in EKY football - how one team can look so good and so bad in the same year.

Breathitt Co. could win over Somerset by 20...or they could lose by 40. I'm serious.

:popcorn:
I almost totally agree with this statement. Although, I'm not sure if I agree with the Bobcats being able to win by 20, maybe 10-12, and definitely the possibility of losing by 40. This shows the youth of the Bobcat team, but on any given night, they can play like a team possessed. I believe that Bobcats can win, however, I'm not sure they will. I believe it could possibly be a shootout and come down to who has the ball last. The Bobcats have a hard time stopping people although those stats that others posted were a little misleading due to a couple of garbage touchdowns, but the seem to play the best defense against people who mix it up other than the teams that are exclusively run teams which makes me think that the possibility of stopping Somerset is there and I'm only saying the possibility and I'm not talking about every drive but maybe one or two. Also, I don't feel that Jumpers stopped the Bobcats at all last year until they were tired out in the second half. I feel that their offense has a couple of more possible weapons this year and may be harder to stop and may be able to keep up a full game, so the potential for an awesome game is there, but the potential for total destruction is too.
hulkamania Wrote:I almost totally agree with this statement. Although, I'm not sure if I agree with the Bobcats being able to win by 20, maybe 10-12, and definitely the possibility of losing by 40. This shows the youth of the Bobcat team, but on any given night, they can play like a team possessed. I believe that Bobcats can win, however, I'm not sure they will. I believe it could possibly be a shootout and come down to who has the ball last. The Bobcats have a hard time stopping people although those stats that others posted were a little misleading due to a couple of garbage touchdowns, but the seem to play the best defense against people who mix it up other than the teams that are exclusively run teams which makes me think that the possibility of stopping Somerset is there and I'm only saying the possibility and I'm not talking about every drive but maybe one or two. Also, I don't feel that Jumpers stopped the Bobcats at all last year until they were tired out in the second half. I feel that their offense has a couple of more possible weapons this year and may be harder to stop and may be able to keep up a full game, so the potential for an awesome game is there, but the potential for total destruction is too.

Correct you are...i hope this game is closer then ppl really think on here...if Breathitts D can hold this will be a game to watch...
Againstme! Wrote:Correct you are...i hope this game is closer then ppl really think on here...if Breathitts D can hold this will be a game to watch...

I think that will be the problem. Breathitt's defense is averaging allowing 26 points per game. Somerset's offense is averaging 53 points per game. If Somerset just gets half their average (which is about what Breathitt averages giving up) I think Breathitt will have a hard time scoring the 30 points it would take to win. Anything can happen but if Somerset takes care of the ball I think they will come away with a win. But stranger things have happened in high school football.
bac2369 Wrote:Somerset has to many weapons for Breathitt to contain. They have a running back who i think is very under rated and has a chance to score every time he touches it. I think his name is Derrick Jackson i believe. I also believe he isnt really the main running back in this offense. They are very balanced as well so it makes them dangerous and i believe Somserset wins by 3 touchdowns.

[Image: http://somerset-kentucky.com/archive/x19...fd7d37.jpg]
RoShamBo Wrote:[Image: http://somerset-kentucky.com/archive/x19...fd7d37.jpg]

Don't forget the guys blocking for him. They like to do a lot of this:

[url=Photobucket]Photobucket[/url]

WOW that 55 hits opposing players, like he hits a hanging curve ball :Thumbs:

I have watched these Somerset players grow up from umpiring their little league games. They are a talented group. And when they sub, they replace one athlete with another one, with very little drop off in talent. Not only are these kids athletic but as a group they have a moxy about them that just gets it done on game night.

Coach Lucus is a class act and I wish them well in their playoff run. I am not trying to disrepect Breathitt but I think the Jumpers will roll in this one by 3+ Touchdowns.
Jumpers BIG!!! Somerset looks good this year.
I'll go with Breathitt Close game 24-21
Beat those bunnies
Breathitt Loves the Goal line stop inside the 5 they turn it up. They where up 33-31 last year late in the 3rd then a few bad plays and it was 51-33 keep your heads up bobcats even when your down hit them hard and hit them often and GO GET REGION!!!
Norm Peterson Wrote:Don't forget the guys blocking for him. They like to do a lot of this:

The Jackson kid can knock you into another world. And that 55 is an animal, and a junior too I believe, and he's just about the smallest of Somerset's O-linemen. I think as long as Somerset can maintain their defensive dominance AND maintain their sanity on the three hour trip, they'll leave Jackson with a "W".
The scores from Wayne and Casey are mostly against Freshmen.Don't let the scores fool you.Coach just letting the younger guys play.But by all means,keep believing we're not that good.
Nobody is thinking that Breathitt is not a good football team. But the fact is the Varsity give up plenty of points this year for BC, but the Offense has been more than capable of out scoring their opponents. BC QB has been playing lights out the last few weeks, is he just a soph?
RoShamBo Wrote:[Image: http://somerset-kentucky.com/archive/x19...fd7d37.jpg]

Does D use the "Truck stick" or in his case the "Train stick"
somerset likes to pass the ball... breathitts secondary is to weak to maintain this.. there secondary is terrible... Qb for somerset should have 250-300 yards...channing fugate last year couldnt run against this team.. so whos gonna run against them tonight? somerset will dominate breathitt in every aspect of the game... briar jumpers roll 65-28
what Wrote:somerset likes to pass the ball... breathitts secondary is to weak to maintain this.. there secondary is terrible... Qb for somerset should have 250-300 yards...channing fugate last year couldnt run against this team.. so whos gonna run against them tonight? somerset will dominate breathitt in every aspect of the game... briar jumpers roll 65-28

Breathitt over the pass 3 games average is 50+ thats with the jv coming in at 3rd quarter or half time. everyone is talking about can breathitt stop somerset what about can somerset stop Breathitt. if Breathitt wins it wont be an upset in my mind. :Cheerlead GO cats :Cheerlead
^Breathitt could possibly win....
but if they win it is definitely an upset lol
8477 Wrote:Breathitt over the pass 3 games average is 50+ thats with the jv coming in at 3rd quarter or half time. everyone is talking about can breathitt stop somerset what about can somerset stop Breathitt. if Breathitt wins it wont be an upset in my mind. :Cheerlead GO cats :Cheerlead
I totally agree with ya!! Almost everybody has little faith in our boys. They have pulled together and played some of the rougher teams in this region this year. They did start out rough but over the last couple of weeks they have stood their ground with the top notches. I think, no, let me correct that, I know if the Bobcats come out with the aggression that they have had going lately, this is going to be one HECK of a game tonight and I'm going to be on the front line watching my boys kick butt!! So, you guys that are thinking we are going to be so easy to take-Bring it!! WE ARE READY!!
8477 Wrote:Breathitt over the pass 3 games average is 50+ thats with the jv coming in at 3rd quarter or half time. everyone is talking about can breathitt stop somerset what about can somerset stop Breathitt. if Breathitt wins it wont be an upset in my mind. :Cheerlead GO cats :Cheerlead

Are you sure the JV was in all that time? That isn't what the Casey County film shows. In that game Trent 5 ran for 5 TDs, threw for 2 TDs and Collins scored the last one. Aren't those 2 guys starters?

Against Wayne County Breathitt ran the opening kickoff back, Trent had 4 TD runs, threw 2 TD passes and Fletcher had a TD run. Again aren't those guys starters?

Breathitt is obviously clicking very well on offense but let's not pretend like they're putting up 50 by halftime and letting the JV play the rest of the game. In both of those games their starters were scoring in the 4th quarter.
what Wrote:somerset likes to pass the ball... breathitts secondary is to weak to maintain this.. there secondary is terrible... Qb for somerset should have 250-300 yards...channing fugate last year couldnt run against this team.. so whos gonna run against them tonight? somerset will dominate breathitt in every aspect of the game... briar jumpers roll 65-28

Channing had 157 yards and 2 touchdowns last year, most of which were in the first half, probably over a hundred to be honest, the shootout proved to be too much for the bobcats and they tuckered out in the end causing the loss. Breathitt is more capable of competing in a shootout this year with a couple of more offensive weapons, not saying that they're a better team, but there's more to watch for and not as much to key on. The problem will be in stopping somerset, but they did well enough against Prestonsburg, so they have a shot, you just don't ever know if they're gonna bring the bb guns or the 12 guage.
rebel rebel Wrote:Jumpers BIG!!! Somerset looks good this year.
They looked good last season too but they laid an egg in the finals. I hope that whoever makes it through has a better showing in 2010.

briar jumpers will show the fans tongiht just how overrated breathitt football is...... wow you breathitt fans are pittiful...lets see how good the refs "try" to keep breathitt in it..
Go get em Bobcats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely, they have stopped everyone else. It seems a lot of Breathitt fans are expecting the same team that the Bobcats played in Somerset last year to roll into Jackson tonight. I can assure you this team is much better defensively, much more balanced offensively, and has more team speed. If Breathitt plays their best game they can win IMO, but if both teams play their absolute best tonight then I think Somerset wins by 3+ touchdowns.
what Wrote:briar jumpers will show the fans tongiht just how overrated breathitt football is...... wow you breathitt fans are Have pittiful...lets see how good the refs "try" to keep breathitt in it..
I respect your opinion, but you are off base here. Breathitt is not very good this season, and most realistic fans would agree with that. But they can beat Somerset if Somerset lacks in execution. This would be a big upset if Breathitt wins and most Breathitt fans understand that, but they will support them whether or not they are favored. If Breathitt is +1 or more in turnovers, they have a chance, otherwise it can be a long night. Go Bobcats, Find a way.