Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds starting pitching.
I saw where the Reds have been scouting Dan Haren of the Diamondbacks. That would give them another good arm (not as good as Lee though), but Haren tends to be a fly-ball pitcher which may really hurt him in GABP. As we all know, fly-balls tend to fly really well in Cincy. Also, Haren is a much better first half pitcher than 2nd half. It could be though that the Diamondbacks are usually out of it by the All-Star break and he could care less how it goes in the 2nd half.
BCF4L Wrote:I saw where the Reds have been scouting Dan Haren of the Diamondbacks. That would give them another good arm (not as good as Lee though), but Haren tends to be a fly-ball pitcher which may really hurt him in GABP. As we all know, fly-balls tend to fly really well in Cincy. Also, Haren is a much better first half pitcher than 2nd half. It could be though that the Diamondbacks are usually out of it by the All-Star break and he could care less how it goes in the 2nd half.

I don't think another RH pitcher helps. I'd like to see them look for a LH starter.
Stardust Wrote:I don't think another RH pitcher helps. I'd like to see them look for a LH starter.
Do the Reds even have a left handed starter in their rotation? Harang is right, Arroyo right, Volquez right, Cueto is right. Can't remember about Leake, Wood, or Maloney.
Just looked it up. Travis Wood is the only SP the Reds have that is a lefty. So yes, SD, I agree with you. They need a lefty to stick in their rotation.
Well, after two weeks of post-All Star break baseball, the Reds rotation has continued to be a strength of the club. Looking at each of the pitchers:

1) Cueto has been pitching like an ace, and has been lights-out in his two starts. Anxious to see how he fares against the Braves on Friday night.

2) Arroyo continues to eat up innings while giving his team a chance to win, albeit with the occasional hiccup. Expect more of the same over the next two months.

3) Leake has pitched twice and kept the team in the game both times, just as he has done most of the year. He will be given 3 extra days rest before his next start as the club continues to try to limit his innings.

4) Travis Wood has continued to pitch very well in his 3 games since the break. As long as he keeps it up, it will be difficult for the club to justify sending him down in favor of Harang or Bailey.

5) Volquez, on the other hand, I am worried about. His first start of the year, against Colorado, was very good. However, he has been knocked out early in his next two starts, not making it out of the fourth inning either time. In a combined 6 innings in those two starts, he has given up 11 hits, 8 walks, and 10 runs. Not pretty, and you have to wonder if the surgically repaired elbow is giving him trouble.

So, all in all, 4 of the 5 spots have been solid since the break. The only worry I have is about Volquez. His inability to throw strikes is alarming, and his next start on Sunday could be very important. If he has another wild outing, the club may have to consider shelving him for a while in order to see what might be wrong with his elbow. If they do, one would think that either Bailey or Harang would fill this spot, whoever gets healthy first.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ Great post and "Spot On"