Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds starting pitching.
Hey guys!! I know that some of you may have a lil more sources to get information on this stuff but does anyone know what pitchers may get the call in the second half of the season (maybe even the Reds making a move for a pitcher) and which may get to spend the rest in Louisville this year. I was also wondering about what the potential pitcher lineup will be coming out of the All-Star break?

I figured that Cueto would probably get the nod to come out of the gate and then follow that with the return of Volquez, then Leake and Wood. If you ask me, all of these guys HAVE TO be in the rotation, along side of Arroyo. Which that brings up the question on Harang and Bailey when they are ready to come on back up? SO what say you, good people of BGR!

Good discussion to pass the time until the season kicks back up on Friday!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I saw something that said the rumor is Arroyo will get the first start after the break on Friday, then Volquez will make his 2010 debut on Saturday.

I would expect Leake to be pushed all the way to the fifth slot coming out of the break, as the club is supposedly going to limit his innings and possibly skip a start or two of his. That would put him going on Tuesday.

As for the last two spots, on Sunday and Monday, I'm not sure. I am sure that Cueto will be one of the two, but they may want to split up Volquez and Cueto from going back-to-back since they are similar pitchers.

The big question then, is what about the last spot? If Harang is still hurt, then the easy answer is Travis Wood, who has looked dynamite so far in 3 big-league starts. But if (when?) Harang is healthy, they have a decision to make. Either put Harang back in the rotation, and send Wood back down to Louisville. Or if they keep Wood, what about Harang? Assuming there's no way another team would want to trade for him, do they stick him in the bullpen or just release him?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Arroyo/Volquez/Cueto/Leake/Wood should & probably will be the rotation coming out of the All-Star break.

As for 2nd half pitching...well of course we have Volquez I also expect Chapman to get called up shortly to help the bullpen.

I honestly believe the Bailey & Harang will end up in the bullpen....once they come off the DL.

I really don't see the Reds making a move to a starting pitcher...relievers possible.
where is Harang at?
i just read where The Reds and Mets Have Interest In Chicago Cubs' Ted Lilly
Strikeout King Wrote:i just read where The Reds and Mets Have Interest In Chicago Cubs' Ted Lilly

Boy, I sure hope that's not true about the Reds. If they actually traded anybody of value for Ted Lilly, I will break something.

Honestly, I would consider Lilly no better than the fifth-best starter on the Reds if they did get him. Cueto, Volquez, Leake, and Arroyo would all be ahead of Lilly in my book. And I would personally prefer them to give Travis Wood a chance to have a few more starts, rather than giving up some young prospects for a guy like Lilly, who isn't any better than what they already have.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Boy, I sure hope that's not true about the Reds. If they actually traded anybody of value for Ted Lilly, I will break something.

Honestly, I would consider Lilly no better than the fifth-best starter on the Reds if they did get him. Cueto, Volquez, Leake, and Arroyo would all be ahead of Lilly in my book. And I would personally prefer them to give Travis Wood a chance to have a few more starts, rather than giving up some young prospects for a guy like Lilly, who isn't any better than what they already have.

I would agree with you on that one! As for your earlier post, I totally forgot about the style of pitcher Volquez in comparison to Cueto. I think that yes the split would be needed and should be put into play. From your understanding and the new logic that I now have I guess I would have to say that the starters for the the first five would be Arroyo, Volquez, Wood, Cueto, and Leake. This gets the hot arm of Wood back out there before a predicament can come up with Harang and Bailey and this also places Leake in the back to continue giving him arm more rest. I think that the second half SHOULD begin on a good note with the Rockies and Nationals coming in. One sweep would be amazing but Im hoping for a 4-2 record coming out of Cincy.
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
I look for them to try and move harang for beans if they can
Grand Slam Wrote:I look for them to try and move harang for beans if they can

I don't think they can move Harang. They have been shopping him and NO ONE wants him and his salary. Reds will not send him away plus pay his salary. I still see Harang in the bullpen.
More Cowbell Wrote:Boy, I sure hope that's not true about the Reds. If they actually traded anybody of value for Ted Lilly, I will break something.

I Agree. Lilly is past his prime. i however look for Lilly To Go To The Mets.
I mean I'm sure some scouts have been checking out Harang...

He really hasn't pitched as bad this year as in previous years....

He's certainly not the Ace he use to be...but he could benefit as a #5 starter somewhere.
Please dusty for the love of all that is good on the earth, put Harang in the bullpen and keep Wood in the rotation....
[SIZE="4"]
I'd say it will be a lineup of Cueto, Arroyo, Volquez, Harang, Leake. Wood and Bailey will be sent back down. I don't see why the Reds don't trade Bailey personally. He's a decent pitcher with tons of upside that the Reds have yet to be able to get out of him. I hate seeing Wood sent down but my guess is he will be.
After Wood's near perfecto I don't think he'll go back down...something is about to give and somebody is losing their spot its that simple.
J-Rod Wrote:After Wood's near perfecto I don't think he'll go back down...something is about to give and somebody is losing their spot its that simple.

I can tell you that if the decision is past down to sent Wood down....... **** will break loose in Cincy!!!
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I can tell you that if the decision is past down to sent Wood down....... **** will break loose in Cincy!!!

Doubt it.
^ I think that the Cincinnati media and fans know enough about baseball to see that a decision like that could cost the Reds big, in the end. Dusty already has gotten to his last straw with most fans of the Reds and if they were to send down a kid that just had a NEAR PERFECT GAME then I think that is warrant for the fans to be critical of WHOEVER is making the decisions to send the players down. Wood needs to be in there and getting innings that Harang can not confidently provide for the Reds anymore. Place Harang in the pen and be done with it.

So you dont agree with that either?
[SIZE="4"]
Just saw on the Reds website, Arroyo 1st and then Volquez!!!
So I believe that we all peeged that one!!
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:^ I think that the Cincinnati media and fans know enough about baseball to see that a decision like that could cost the Reds big, in the end. Dusty already has gotten to his last straw with most fans of the Reds and if they were to send down a kid that just had a NEAR PERFECT GAME then I think that is warrant for the fans to be critical of WHOEVER is making the decisions to send the players down. Wood needs to be in there and getting innings that Harang can not confidently provide for the Reds anymore. Place Harang in the pen and be done with it.

So you dont agree with that either?

If Cleveland fans have only burnt LeBron's jersey, then I can't see 'Natti fans freaking out over a pitching rotation switch.
PC_You_Know Wrote:If Cleveland fans have only burnt LeBron's jersey, then I can't see 'Natti fans freaking out over a pitching rotation switch.

Now PC, you obviously dont think that I believe that the town on Cincinnati will be in a riot. If anything it is a figure of speech. The biggest difference with the LeBron and Reds comparison is that Cleveland had no majority control of the situation, LeBron did. With the Reds, I think that the fans, knowing that that Dusty is the one with control of manager situations, can be critical of the Man that the running the team. Im sure that the Cleveland fans were mad at the ownership for not helping the situation with stud players over the years but ultimately I think that the fans knew it was LeBron's decision and that the organization tried their best at that time to keep him.

Trust me, get on some of the Reds message boards and get a pulse of the fan base of Reds baseball and you will see what I am talking about.

Call down Wood and fans will be angry. :ChairHit: Hulk smash.
[SIZE="4"]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Now PC, you obviously dont think that I believe that the town on Cincinnati will be in a riot. If anything it is a figure of speech. The biggest difference with the LeBron and Reds comparison is that Cleveland had no majority control of the situation, LeBron did. With the Reds, I think that the fans, knowing that that Dusty is the one with control of manager situations, can be critical of the Man that the running the team. Im sure that the Cleveland fans were mad at the ownership for not helping the situation with stud players over the years but ultimately I think that the fans knew it was LeBron's decision and that the organization tried their best at that time to keep him.

Trust me, get on some of the Reds message boards and get a pulse of the fan base of Reds baseball and you will see what I am talking about.

Call down Wood and fans will be angry. :ChairHit: Hulk smash.

Well alright...but I agree, that after seeing some highlights of Wood pitching, it would be smart to have him in the 5 man rotation.
In all fairness it is a good problem to have and the one that the Reds have not had in a long time. To choose between a vet pitcher or a blazing newcomer..... We will see how it all works out.
[SIZE="4"]
I wouldn't freak out if Wood got sent down...I mean he's only 23 years old.

He's got alot of year's left.
I really dont see chapman getting the call unless we have injuries or we look to make a playoff run. He could very well become the energy we need like Price was for the Rays in 07
Grand Slam Wrote:I really dont see chapman getting the call unless we have injuries or we look to make a playoff run. He could very well become the energy we need like Price was for the Rays in 07
If Chapman gets called up, it will only be for middle relief. With only 2 dominant pitches in his arsenal, there's no way he can be an effective starter. Look for Chapman to be Cincy's every day closer when CoCo's contract is up.
I would love to see Chapman get the call for bullpen experience. Like you said, with only two pitches how can you expect him to be a successful starter.
[SIZE="4"]
The reds need one more good starter and they will win the central, but they need to get one quick. I was hoping that they went out and got pitcher that the rangers went out and got but that fell through.
GM Walt Jocketty already said Chapman will not be up until September.
i think dusty has some decisions to make that will affect the club alot.....our bats are great which we all know and we're in the top 5 in every major category and the pitching is so inconsistent but like what was already said we need that one start who can come in and give us 6+ innings
J-Rod Wrote:I wouldn't freak out if Wood got sent down...I mean he's only 23 years old.

He's got alot of year's left.

Yea I know that from a youth standpoint it should not matter but if you were to look at the production that we would get from Wood and who they would probably replace him with then I think it would have been warrant for some anger Reds fans. But Harang will continue to be on the DL so we will continue to see Wood in the rotation as a constant fixture.

Say Harang did come back right now I would say that we would only get maybe 3-5 quality starts out of him for the rest of the year with maybe 2-3 wins. However, Wood (going by what he has shown so far) would get us probably around 10 quality starts.

Either way it is a fantastic time to be a Reds fan and it is a good situation to be complaining about. You can never have too many good pitchers. And yes he has many, many years left to get that perfect game! Wink
[SIZE="4"]