Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best High School Field In Kentucky
any teams thinking about getting turf field?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
jdnoble18 Wrote:Breathitt Co.'s field is nice. I cant believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. When it was built it was the 2nd in the state to be covered. No more cold nights! The field is nice Bermuda grass and is very well maintained. The only downside is the visitor section. There has been some talk in the past about filling in the riverbank and building a matching covered stadium but I haven't heard anything lately about it.

Has anyone else been to Jackson?? Someone back me up! Smile

i've been there couple times...it is a nice field...nice scoreboard..
Ive been to alot of fields across the state,and ill have to say Danville has one of the best.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Ive been to alot of fields across the state,and ill have to say Danville has one of the best.

I agree. I have played there several times.
Ryle and Dixie both have very nice facilities. They both have terrible parking too. Highlands is cramped, old facilities, but great atmosphere. You are sitting right on top of the field and can even hear the coaches talking to the players on the side lines during the game. Highlands also has terrible parking.
Newport has a nice field
Montgomery co.
Down and Out Wrote:Sheldon Clark !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super nice field but everything around it is terrible no parking the seating sucks it is better to stand at this place but it is getting better.
I always couldn't wait to play on Corbin's field. I haven't seen too many that are better.
Somerset's field/stadium are very, very big considering the school's numbers. If you put the entire Somerset student body in the stands it would fill up about 5% of the bleachers. I wouldn't call it the nicest in the state but if they got turf like they should it would be a top 5 stadium in the state IMO. They keep nice grass, just have some drainage issues. If the administration ever realized that they could be helping the kids by helping the sports programs the turf deal would get done but thats a whole other, much longer story. But as far as seating goes I believe Somerset is #5 behind Manual, Owensboro, and a couple others that have slipped my mind right now.

Some of the nicest I have seen though are LexCath's (a little small seating wise but very nice playing surface), Breathitt County (LOVE the home seating with the canopy, very cool), Belfry (nice stadium, nice field, nice atmosphere, good people). Someone mentioned Corbin having a nice field, I wouldn't know personally. It seems like every time we went to Corbin there seemed to be some sort of Monsoon that hit the field the night before the game. Just joking Hound fans I know its not the 80's anymore!
Strikeout King Wrote:Newport has a nice field

:lmao: HAHA, I don't know if you meant for that to be a joke maybe they have gotten a new stadium since last time I was there but that was funny. Probably the biggest joke of a stadium in the state, really an injustice making the kids play on such a surface. When we played there I remember our receivers getting hurt trying to run fade routes into the corner of the end zone but there was just one problem, THE CORNERS OF THE END ZONES WERE 10ft. OF ASPHALT FROM THE TRACK! There are more rocks on that field than blades of grass. Yet somehow Somerset ends up playing a state semifinal game on that very field, odd.
I like Somerset's stadium alot too. It doesn't have a lot of modern bells and whistles, but it is huge and in a nice setting. The biggest complaint I had about it though is you better get your hiking boots ready if you are a visitor and it has rained. It can be a long muddy walk.

Roshambo also mentioned Breathitt, which to me is an oddity of a stadium.

When it comes to homefield advantage and home seating there are few that compare to the covered grandstand. The issue with Breathitt that keeps it off my list is the visitor seating. Not only is the visitor seating basically a broken down 3 row set of bleachers, it also sits conspicuously along a riverbank and is surrounded by mud puddles even if it hasn't rained in a week HAHA Heaven forbid if you sit on the Breathitt side of the field because the natives think that every visitor should comfortably fit on their allotted side...even if the visitors have as many fans there as the Bobcats Big Grin

Ryle has a nice stadium as well. Supposedly the bowl setting of Ryle helped to inspire the design for CAM Stadium after Belfry played there in the Com-Air Bowl some years back. I don't know if they still have it, but Ryle had a cannon like Highlands that literally set 10-15 car alarms off every time it was set off.
^I agree about the long walk to the visitor's section, it is ridiculous if you have to walk all the way around by the scoreboard to get to the other side. I believe they have the track opened up to where you don't have to walk as far now but yes there for a while it was indeed a trek for visiting fans.

Haven't been to Ryle but I will try to make it up the road and watch a game one night.
RoShamBo Wrote::lmao: HAHA, I don't know if you meant for that to be a joke maybe they have gotten a new stadium since last time I was there but that was funny. Probably the biggest joke of a stadium in the state, really an injustice making the kids play on such a surface. When we played there I remember our receivers getting hurt trying to run fade routes into the corner of the end zone but there was just one problem, THE CORNERS OF THE END ZONES WERE 10ft. OF ASPHALT FROM THE TRACK! There are more rocks on that field than blades of grass. Yet somehow Somerset ends up playing a state semifinal game on that very field, odd.

Newport has a very nice turf field, however, the rest of the stadium is very old.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I like Somerset's stadium alot too. It doesn't have a lot of modern bells and whistles, but it is huge and in a nice setting. The biggest complaint I had about it though is you better get your hiking boots ready if you are a visitor and it has rained. It can be a long muddy walk.

Roshambo also mentioned Breathitt, which to me is an oddity of a stadium.

When it comes to homefield advantage and home seating there are few that compare to the covered grandstand. The issue with Breathitt that keeps it off my list is the visitor seating. Not only is the visitor seating basically a broken down 3 row set of bleachers, it also sits conspicuously along a riverbank and is surrounded by mud puddles even if it hasn't rained in a week HAHA Heaven forbid if you sit on the Breathitt side of the field because the natives think that every visitor should comfortably fit on their allotted side...even if the visitors have as many fans there as the Bobcats Big Grin

Ryle has a nice stadium as well. Supposedly the bowl setting of Ryle helped to inspire the design for CAM Stadium after Belfry played there in the Com-Air Bowl some years back. I don't know if they still have it, but Ryle had a cannon like Highlands that literally set 10-15 car alarms off every time it was set off.

I do not recall a cannon at Ryle. I do believe they had some sort of train whistle last year.
RoShamBo Wrote::lmao: HAHA, I don't know if you meant for that to be a joke maybe they have gotten a new stadium since last time I was there but that was funny. Probably the biggest joke of a stadium in the state, really an injustice making the kids play on such a surface. When we played there I remember our receivers getting hurt trying to run fade routes into the corner of the end zone but there was just one problem, THE CORNERS OF THE END ZONES WERE 10ft. OF ASPHALT FROM THE TRACK! There are more rocks on that field than blades of grass. Yet somehow Somerset ends up playing a state semifinal game on that very field, odd.

when was you there last?
Strikeout King Wrote:when was you there last?

2005, were playing right there underneath the underpass by the river.

Sorry I honestly wasn't trying to be rude but the playing conditions at that field were truly horrendous. We played Newport Catholic there in 2005 during the state semis and I couldn't believe they let two teams play a state semifinal game on that field, especially when they had played every single before that at Holmes and no one else was playing in NoKy. Not trying to say Somerset would have won the game on a better field but it definitely played more into the favor of NewCath's strengths. Like I said our receivers, myself being one of them at the time, were taking an absolute beating whenever we got the ball into the red zone because it was the roughest part of the field and the corners of the end zone were about 5-6 feet of track. As far as just the stadium goes it was fine, and I'm sure if there is turf now then it is a pretty nice little field but I wasn't aware that they had done this. Wish they would have done it a little sooner, lol.
RoShamBo Wrote:2005, were playing right there underneath the underpass by the river.

Sorry I honestly wasn't trying to be rude but the playing conditions at that field were truly horrendous. We played Newport Catholic there in 2005 during the state semis and I couldn't believe they let two teams play a state semifinal game on that field, especially when they had played every single before that at Holmes and no one else was playing in NoKy. Not trying to say Somerset would have won the game on a better field but it definitely played more into the favor of NewCath's strengths. Like I said our receivers, myself being one of them at the time, were taking an absolute beating whenever we got the ball into the red zone because it was the roughest part of the field and the corners of the end zone were about 5-6 feet of track. As far as just the stadium goes it was fine, and I'm sure if there is turf now then it is a pretty nice little field but I wasn't aware that they had done this. Wish they would have done it a little sooner, lol.

i was there last year with Estill. they do have a very nice field! they have a track around it, nice bleachers and scoreboard! i didn't see any piles of nothing around it. i don't like the artificial turf though...i was slipping and sliding everywhere! they also share that field with Newport Central Catholic!
Strikeout King Wrote:i was there last year with Estill. they do have a very nice field! they have a track around it, nice bleachers and scoreboard! i didn't see any piles of nothing around it. i don't like the artificial turf though...i was slipping and sliding everywhere! they also share that field with Newport Central Catholic!

Yeah I think someone earlier mentioned they had put in turf and done some renovations, good news. Now, can someone confirm the conditions of Newport's old field so I don't feel like a nancy-boy for saying it was so terrible.
RoShamBo Wrote:Yeah I think someone earlier mentioned they had put in turf and done some renovations, good news. Now, can someone confirm the conditions of Newport's old field so I don't feel like a nancy-boy for saying it was so terrible.

there fans wasn't too bad either!

if you wanna know about there old field you may want to ask Stardust being as he lives up around there
sstack Wrote:I do not recall a cannon at Ryle. I do believe they had some sort of train whistle last year.

This was either 98 or 99 and they most definitely had an ear splintering, car alarm inducing, bleacher rattling cannon perched behind the visitor section on a mound.
cougarpride08 Wrote:any teams thinking about getting turf field?

Boyle Counties is being installed as we speak.
i think that walton-verona may have one of the better fields if only they had more seating and a competitive team to play on it
johnson central
They have a great field.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Eastern Ky football fans are fortunate now to have several teams with extremely nice facilities!:Clap:
That is so true. We are slowing catching up with the rest of the state.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Brooks4Prez Wrote:Letcher Central, home of the only jumbotron in Kentucky High School football:rockon:

yes hands down the nicest place ive ever played and had a great atmosphere.....Belfry's isnt to bad eithier
Can someone tell me if Highlands got there's fixed? I heard it was broken a couple of years ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

CardinalAlum Wrote:Sheldon Clark

Loved it. One of my favorite football road trips ever.:Thumbs: