Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Who will be the) New Coach at Lawrence Co.
Are we talking about the same Sarah Elliott? She played for UK, all SEC, played a big part in knocking off #1 Tenn, holds several UK records, was in the WNBA draft. I am not aware of another girls basketball coach in East Ky with these kinds of credentials. She obviously knows basketball. Can she coach varsity? The only way we will know is if someone gives her a shot. I remember a young coach once upon a time that people wondered if he could coach varsity. Bill Mike Runyon turned out to be a very good choice.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Are we talking about the same Sarah Elliott? She played for UK, all SEC, played a big part in knocking off #1 Tenn, holds several UK records, was in the WNBA draft. I am not aware of another girls basketball coach in East Ky with these kinds of credentials. She obviously knows basketball. Can she coach varsity? The only way we will know is if someone gives her a shot. I remember a young coach once upon a time that people wondered if he could coach varsity. Bill Mike Runyon turned out to be a very good choice.

Good players dont always make good coaches. I am just saying I saw her coach some games last fall at the middle school level. She has a lot to learn. I think if she holds off now and spends a few more years coaching middle school and maybe JV and assisting with the varsity she will get a lot of learning that she needs to be a varsity coach. I think she is a varsity coach someday for sure just not sure the time is now. I would hate to see the school and her make a mistake. Case in point Celina Cochran at Johnson Central. Coached elementary girls and some JV now is the head coach of a varsity program. Many more struggles ahead for them I am afraid
Has anyone heard rumor about a 12th region coach possibly be interested in Lawrence Co. job? Some people at Paintsville golf course this past weekend mentioned Tim Rice from Southwestern HS in Somerset might be interested. They said he has some ties to Eastern Ky and would be a great candidate for this job. Don't know if he would be interested, but would be worth a phone call from someone in the bulldog program. Judging by their records and stats on the KHSAA website, he has built a successful program at Southwestern.
Most good high school coaches were average or mediocre high school players who didn't play college ball. Hazard's Bill Fannin(Cumberland College),Breathitt's Peggy Moore(EKU), and Letcher Central's Dickie Adams(starting guard on an NCAA national championship team at Roanoke College in the early seventies) are the exceptions.
Sarah Elliott has accepted the job according to a high ranking official at LC. Yes she turnrd it down the first time, but the offer changed and she took the deal.
I have spoken with her and she has indeed accepted the job as she plans to meet with the players Wednesday and a formal announcement to come later.