Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(2) West Virginia 73 - (1) Kentucky 66 (NCAA - Elite Eight)
Aslan Wrote:I've said it ALL YEAR, if UK can't make free throws or 3's more consistantly, it would cost them and it defintely did tonight. Most you guys disagreed and believe they could overcome it. In fact, looking through the prediction thread, a lot of you guys thought UK would win by double digits. WVU is a good team, definitely the best team UK has played all year. So how you guys think UK would fair in the overrated Beast East. Cal got outcoached. Why not pressure a team that has one ball handler? John Wall decided to play no defense tonight.
3PM-A 4-32 12.5%
FTM-A 16-29 55.2%
You don't deserve to beat anybody with #'s like that.
I don't trust Cal at all. He has 5 NBA players on this team and still managed to lose to an inferior team. He's not an elite coach, just an elite recruiter. Hopefully he recruits a few shooters to compliment the athletes he has, because being the most talented and athletic team is not always going to get you the W. You need balance and UK didn't have that tonight or most the season. Despite that, they still had a great season, but still, it ends in disappointment. Just an elite 8 appearence with 5 NBA players. This was the best chance UK and Cal had to get a title. Doubt they'll get one now.

It's amazing how you have all the answers all the time...Maybe you should coach UK!!!:worthy:
if you can find me highlights of where Wall contested any of mazullas 20pts then i will leave this site for good. i dont care who you are, if you average 2.2pts per game, and you score 20, then someone is doing a terrible job of guarding you. and if you can give me pointers as how to bledsoe and orton done anything special at all then please do so.
Strikeout King Wrote:if you saw the game you would have seen the cheap calls that the ref's called. you would be saying the same thing if it was the other way around.

Congrats WV.

oh good luck against Duke or Baylor

what's the deal with Calipari's Teams? they can't shoot free throws worth a darn

"Im not worried about freethrows, we will make them when it counts." Well i guess they didnt count tonight, right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Strikeout King Wrote:from what i heard that if Kentucky didn't win the national championship that they all would come back next year because they wanna win a national championship

Pst. If that happens, I'll give you everything I own.
Strikeout King Wrote:how can you all not say that the ref's weren't horrible? they called those little cheap fouls, when Kentucky would go for a steal, they would call a foul, they wouldn't call that on West Virginia and that traveling call when our player was in mid air, now how can that be a travel?

The calls went both ways bro.

Wildcatk23 Wrote:Jesus Christ! what is wrong with you people.

If a team wins a championship, Who gets the credit? The star player!

Why is it this is cals fault.

Well when you have 5 future NBA players and don't win the national title that usually falls on the coach.

Strikeout King Wrote:if Kentucky got most of the calls there way then why does it look like this

Free Throws - Attempts

West Virginia 23-34

Kentucky 16-29

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300860096

Wow, huge difference! :zzz:
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Unbelievable the way people turn on a coach after a loss like this

Just being honest. He got outcoached. UK had no idea what to do against that 1-3-1.

dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Kentucky was hurt by two things tonight....Youth and Inexperience.

Not at all. Not hitting wide up shots(20 straight missed 3's), missing foul shots, and Cal getting outcoached was what got the Cats beat.
Still with all that, UK still almost won. That's how talented they are.
greenstuff22 Wrote:if you can find me highlights of where Wall contested any of mazullas 20pts then i will leave this site for good. i dont care who you are, if you average 2.2pts per game, and you score 20, then someone is doing a terrible job of guarding you. and if you can give me pointers as how to bledsoe and orton done anything special at all then please do so.
Could it be he was getting screened to death (illegaly) when Mazzoula made those layups? If you didnt notice WVU was killing UK with that play with deifferent players.
Strikeout King Wrote:if Kentucky got most of the calls there way then why does it look like this

Free Throws - Attempts

West Virginia 23-34

Kentucky 16-29

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300860096

uk probably shot more free thorws until the end when they had to foul!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
greenstuff22 Wrote:if you can find me highlights of where Wall contested any of mazullas 20pts then i will leave this site for good. i dont care who you are, if you average 2.2pts per game, and you score 20, then someone is doing a terrible job of guarding you. and if you can give me pointers as how to bledsoe and orton done anything special at all then please do so.

I'll give you this. Wall played no defense. He let Mazulla blow by him several times.
It wasn't the call going against UK, it was the non-calls. If those picks and screens WVU kept setting were legal then I will give everyone on this site $100. On several of them Mazzoula would bend completely over and almost undercut the guy he was screening. He did it almost every trip down the court, right in front of the refs and they never called it but they sure as **** called a hold on the UK player who was trying to get around them.
greenstuff22 Wrote:i could possibly result to hurting myself until next season. this is garbage. i for one, will be more than happy to see john wall,eric bledsoe,and daniel orton try the nba. Wall made a guy that averages 2.2pts per game, and a season high of 8, score 15+ pts. and hardly any of his shots were contested. thats pathetic. bledsoe, wow, the guy cant live with himself if he doesn't turn it over at least 3 times a game. he cant stand up. he cant shoot. he is good for nothing. and onto orton, he is the weakest big man i have ever seen. what goes through your mind to make you want to jump up and block a shot that someone shoots from 15ft that is clearly on its way down? i honestly hope they go. wall is good for nothing but getting his stats and doing his retarded dances. he will be the best fit to be a nba player. plays no defense and can make a few highlights.

pathetic performance from the cats.

didnt think i owuld ever get to say this! But there 35- 3 loaded with freshman...sure talent wise the nets couldnt beat them!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:uk probably shot more free thorws until the end when they had to foul!

:confused::what:
Oh and for you guys complaining about the refs...remember when louisville got robbed @ West Va with the refs...well here is an example if you want to look at it like that!
Bottom line is WV wanted the game, they made more FT's, and 3's...I remember a weeks ago you guys were not worried about FT's ( because cal said he wasnt) Cal can make you believe anything! UK missed anough FT's to win this game! You have to blame this one on the poor shooting not the REFS!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
outdoorsman43 Wrote::confused::what:

until the last 2 minutes uk had shot more FT's or around the same number as WV! and then they fouled WV and put them on the line:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE, would you have even gotten online tonight if UK would have won?
Shooting got us beat. All the non-calls let them continually get open layups. Thats a fact.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Could it be he was getting screened to death (illegaly) when Mazzoula made those layups? If you didnt notice WVU was killing UK with that play with deifferent players.

lol thats even worse! hahahahaha. i mean, maybe after you get beat off a play a few times you might say to yourself, "hey, they have killed us with that play, maybe we should switch on the screens or play help defense". haha, but they didn't. Wall tried to go around the screens high, Mazulla had hit ****0-ZERO-NONE-0**** 3's all season, so why would you not cheat and go low and prevent the open drive. lol, i mean really. wall played dumb defense. its not his game, he just needs the offensive stats.
Amun-Ra Wrote:It wasn't the call going against UK, it was the non-calls. If those picks and screens WVU kept setting were legal then I will give everyone on this site $100. On several of them Mazzoula would bend completely over and almost undercut the guy he was screening. He did it almost every trip down the court, right in front of the refs and they never called it but they sure as **** called a hold on the UK player who was trying to get around them.

I have to agree with this. There were countless times that I screamed at the top of my lungs because of those screens (most of them being by mazzoula). He would squat, connect his fists in the middle of his chest and jut his elbows out into every one of UK's players. That is ILLEGAL. He should have been fouled out in the first half because of this. You can't do that. Obviously that changes the outcome of the game. Nevertheless, the Cats just didn't have it tonight, missing 20 straight 3's and playing careless defense down the stretch lost them the game. It's unfortunate that they had to play their worst game in the last game.
greenstuff22 Wrote:lol thats even worse! hahahahaha. i mean, maybe after you get beat off a play a few times you might say to yourself, "hey, they have killed us with that play, maybe we should switch on the screens or play help defense". haha, but they didn't. Wall tried to go around the screens high, Mazulla had hit ****0-ZERO-NONE-0**** 3's all season, so why would you not cheat and go low and prevent the open drive. lol, i mean really. wall played dumb defense. its not his game, he just needs the offensive stats.
Actually Mazzoula had hit a three this year prior to the UK game.
Plus it wasn't one screener. They usually used two. No one else could drop because WVU was hitting threes from everywhere. Therefor Wall had to stay on him, Coach.
theVILLE Wrote:Oh and for you guys complaining about the refs...remember when louisville got robbed @ West Va with the refs...well here is an example if you want to look at it like that!
Bottom line is WV wanted the game, they made more FT's, and 3's...I remember a weeks ago you guys were not worried about FT's ( because cal said he wasnt) Cal can make you believe anything! UK missed anough FT's to win this game! You have to blame this one on the poor shooting not the REFS!

cal can make us believe anything huh? he have us 30 wins and a #1 seed. and a elite 8. what did Pitino make UL fans believe? if it was a very weak season, a loss in the big east tournament to a under 500 cincinnati team, and a 1st round exit in a tournament that they had to get lucky to get in, then well, he has made the UL fan base big time believers. and me as well. cause thats how their season went. but yet you still have the nerve to down kentucky. haha. come on.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Actually Mazzoula had hit a three this year prior to the UK game.
Plus it wasn't one screener. They usually used two. No one else could drop because WVU was hitting threes from everywhere. Therefor Wall had to stay on him, Coach.

lol okay, how many has he hit this season book keeper? and im not a coach, but i would tell my team to take a chance on them shooting 20ft 3pt shots then letting them have wide open paths to the goal for layups. wouldnt you?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:theVILLE, would you have even gotten online tonight if UK would have won?

no probably not:biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
greenstuff22 Wrote:cal can make us believe anything huh? he have us 30 wins and a #1 seed. and a elite 8. what did Pitino make UL fans believe? if it was a very weak season, a loss in the big east tournament to a under 500 cincinnati team, and a 1st round exit in a tournament that they had to get lucky to get in, then well, he has made the UL fan base big time believers. and me as well. cause thats how their season went. but yet you still have the nerve to down kentucky. haha. come on.

WTF is your problem...I was giving UK props!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
It was more a lock of offense than poor defense in my opinion and just a bad day.
I do question why keep shooting so many threes when they aren't going in? Late in game they probably had to trying to come back but couple times then they may have been better going for a quick two.
4-32 on 3s and 16-29 on free throws is where we lost. I never dreamed West Virginia would be 10-23 on 3s.
.I knew with Bledsoe with 4 fouls early in 2nd half and Cousins 3 and 10 points behind we were in trouble because West Virginia was just playing so well.
.I certainly can't fault Cal because he is a great coach and they had a great year.
.I wonder why he didn't feed it into post more. Was it to protect players and keep from fouling out?
.But we're not the only good team gone. Look. A 5 or a 6 seed will be in finals. West Virginia will play a higher seed in semifinals either 1 seed Duke or 3 seed Baylor. 5 seed Butler plays either 5 seed Michigan State or 6 seed Tennessee. I never dreamed Tennessee would be in Final Four and we'd be home after we beat them 30 points but they are.
greenstuff22 Wrote:lol okay, how many has he hit this season book keeper? and im not a coach, but i would tell my team to take a chance on them shooting 20ft 3pt shots then letting them have wide open paths to the goal for layups. wouldnt you?
After tonite he has two on the season...:biggrin:

The way WVU was shooting I would still had my players up on them. They just had more momentum.
A good recruiter is not the same as a good coach. A good coach makes in game adjustments. I can't think of any adjustments UK made. If a team misses 20 straight 3's, then I blame the coach. UK got off to an early lead pounding the ball inside, then all of a sudden, just like the Cornell game, they decided they were going to show everyone how good they could shoot. There is no way, I mean no way, they should have taken over 30 3's in the game. If they had used all those possessions to take it to the goal, the game would have gone the other way. Bottom line, WVU wanted it more. UK played like they thought they were going to pull another one out of the hat, like they have so many times this year. A team don't win just by showing up, I don't care how much talent is on the floor. You have to want it. And if they think they are ready for the NBA, they are crazy.
What I have been saying all year and NO ONE on this board even believed me was the fact that Kentucky did not play ANYONE of WVU's caliber this year. The excuse made by my Louisa pal was "no one thought that UConn or UNC would have a bad year or that the SEC would be a down conference."

So UK fans, don't be down on yourselves. 35 wins is nothing to sneeze at.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:What I have been saying all year and NO ONE on this board even believed me was the fact that Kentucky did not play ANYONE of WVU's caliber this year. The excuse made by my Louisa pal was "no one thought that UConn or UNC would have a bad year or that the SEC would be a down conference."

Me. I said in the prediction thread this would be the best team UK has played the entire year.
Shady Grady Wrote:A good recruiter is not the same as a good coach. A good coach makes in game adjustments. I can't think of any adjustments UK made. If a team misses 20 straight 3's, then I blame the coach. UK got off to an early lead pounding the ball inside, then all of a sudden, just like the Cornell game, they decided they were going to show everyone how good they could shoot. There is no way, I mean no way, they should have taken over 30 3's in the game. If they had used all those possessions to take it to the goal, the game would have gone the other way. Bottom line, WVU wanted it more. UK played like they thought they were going to pull another one out of the hat, like they have so many times this year. A team don't win just by showing up, I don't care how much talent is on the floor. You have to want it. And if they think they are ready for the NBA, they are crazy.

This is what I've been trying to say.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:What I have been saying all year and NO ONE on this board even believed me was the fact that Kentucky did not play ANYONE of WVU's caliber this year. The excuse made by my Louisa pal was "no one thought that UConn or UNC would have a bad year or that the SEC would be a down conference."

Man come on, WVU shot out their wahzoo tonite. On the season they shot a worse percentage from three than UK did but tonite they were lights out.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Man come on, WVU shot out their wahzoo tonite. On the season they shot a worse percentage from three than UK did but tonite they were lights out.

OK then, what top 10 teams did UK play this year besides WVU???

UConn???? NOPE

UNC???? Worst UNC team in decades

Louisville??? Not this year

WVU beat Ohio State WITH Evan Turner, at Villanova, and Georgetown(2). We lost to Syracuse at home and Villanova at home. Our only blow out loss to a top ten team was January 1 at Purdue.

BTW, told you guys not to sell us short. You all thought I was nuts.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:OK then, what top 10 teams did UK play this year besides WVU???

UConn???? NOPE

UNC???? Worst UNC team in decades

Louisville??? Not this year

WVU beat Ohio State WITH Evan Turner, at Villanova, and Georgetown(2). We lost to Syracuse at home and Villanova at home. Our only blow out loss to a top ten team was January 1 at Purdue.

BTW, told you guys not to sell us short. You all thought I was nuts.

I think your team played nuts. They shoot I think 32% from three all year and they shot over 70% in this game and you're acting like you "beat" UK. WVU played the game of their lives and barely escaped.