Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville's Ben Howard Resigns
palmer Wrote:How do schools like Male and Manual and Dunbar rank among the state's best every year if you have to be small to be good?
I will give a big pat on the back if you can point out where in my post I said you had to be a small school to be good. Go ahead, give it your best shot. :Thumbs:
Westside Wrote:I think that it is sad that some people seem to be happy with these developments. I was a freshman in 1987 playing up US 23 a few miles when Pikeville's reign began as state champs. Pikeville beat us by over 60 points one year, but I always rooted for them in the state championship. Pikeville football brought a positive image to Eastern Kentucky nationally which is very rare. I don't understand some people enjoying other people's heart ache. Ben is very young and has his whole life ahead of him. I don't know why he resigned and don't care. That is his business not mine. I wish Ben and Pikeville much luck and success in the future.

Agree.Hillard had a great impact not only on the Pikeville system, but on many young men across the Mtns. of E.Ky.We had the same hope for Ben, but it didn't happen.This situation will just have to play out, and hopefully for much success for this program.Like you , i don't understand some enjoying the misfortune of others. Good luck to Ben & family.
So whats the latest on the pikeville situation, is mac going to take it?
Not heard anything yet. Maybe someone else could share info. on this if possible. Imo, Jason Howell would do a good job, and Coach Mac as D.O. Not to take anything away from him (Coach Mac), but i'm not sure he would want the job.You know, (once bitten twice shy) . Also, would Jason Howell leave the Lexington area. He knows the game and believes in discipline.Imo,a good hire.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Not heard anything yet. Maybe someone else could share info. on this if possible. Imo, Jason Howell would do a good job, and Coach Mac as D.O. Not to take anything away from him (Coach Mac), but i'm not sure he would want the job.You know, (once bitten twice shy) . Also, would Jason Howell leave the Lexington area. He knows the game and believes in discipline.Imo,a good hire.

Please excuse the mistype. Should be (D.C.) instead of D.O.
Windsprint Wrote:Until i know the facts I will not speculate. I do know that Ben Howard has a great offensive mind and that he has the potential to be one of the best coaches ever. I also know that whatever his dad Hillard does--that he has touched the lives of many that will never forget him. I want nothing but the best for them both. They certainly contributed to the success of many eastern ky kids( mine included). So many times, people want to sit back and say this or that without knowing who or what they are talking about. The truth may be that he is gone--if so, I along with many wish them both the best.Instead of getting on here and giving people **** that are going through trials and tribulations, we should be offering them caring and support. I choose to do the latter

I think we all pretty much know what happened by now! I think it's great that Hillard Howard helped your kids and was a big influence to them. He did a great job in the late 80's with Pikeville.
What kind of influence do you think Ben had on his kids at the two places he was Head Coach? Of course everyone wants the best for him and his personal trials. The fact is , he srewed up on more than one occasion. He deserves every bit of scutiny or criticism he gets on this site. I'm sick of everyone feeling sorry for poor Ben. What about the poor kids in the two programs that he embarassed. What about the poor parents that have and had young kids coming up in those two programs that sacrificed time and money to help build those programs? I don't see a lot of pitty for those people! He's been given every opportunity(a lot more than most that's in the coaching profession) that he needed and blew it because of his "personal trials and tribulations." Let's all be adults on here and quit trying to sugarcoat everything just so some people don't get their feelings hurt. To me, that's one problem in our society right now and it's a big problem with our kids, everyone's to sensative. When you scew up, you screw up, period. Expect to be criticized when you do what he did, twice! I do hope he gets his problem under control and fixed.
Hope he does too And i'm CERTAINLY not trying to sugar coat it myself.
I agree...Good person and coach.
Tuff situation for anyone coming into this position.
Hustle Wrote:I think we all pretty much know what happened by now! I think it's great that Hillard Howard helped your kids and was a big influence to them. He did a great job in the late 80's with Pikeville.
What kind of influence do you think Ben had on his kids at the two places he was Head Coach? Of course everyone wants the best for him and his personal trials. The fact is , he srewed up on more than one occasion. He deserves every bit of scutiny or criticism he gets on this site. I'm sick of everyone feeling sorry for poor Ben. What about the poor kids in the two programs that he embarassed. What about the poor parents that have and had young kids coming up in those two programs that sacrificed time and money to help build those programs? I don't see a lot of pitty for those people! He's been given every opportunity(a lot more than most that's in the coaching profession) that he needed and blew it because of his "personal trials and tribulations." Let's all be adults on here and quit trying to sugarcoat everything just so some people don't get their feelings hurt. To me, that's one problem in our society right now and it's a big problem with our kids, everyone's to sensative. When you scew up, you screw up, period. Expect to be criticized when you do what he did, twice! I do hope he gets his problem under control and fixed.

:Thumbs:
Who is going to be the next coach.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Who is going to be the next coach.
from what Ive heard all signs are pointing to Macnamee and IMO thats for the best.
If Coach Mac is chosen, hope he ends up as equally adept as a coach as he was a player.(Was def. captain--named 1st team all state on both offense & defense in 1987) the yr. of the ist state championship.
They didn't have to open this job if they were going to get someone who is on staff. Isn't he on staff? Which leads me to believe that they may be going after someone else. IMO
Xerxes Wrote:They didn't have to open this job if they were going to get someone who is on staff. Isn't he on staff? Which leads me to believe that they may be going after someone else. IMO

Yes, they did too. They have to by law, at least 30 days. Now, more cases thatn not a school already has their man in mind and the deal is all, but done. They just have to open/post the job through the district website and/or the khsaa website. It's just a formality.
Harry Doyle Wrote:Yes, they did too. They have to by law, at least 30 days. Now, more cases thatn not a school already has their man in mind and the deal is all, but done. They just have to open/post the job through the district website and/or the khsaa website. It's just a formality.

Agree.
They have to wait 30 days but don't have to open to the public just the faculty.
Xerxes Wrote:They have to wait 30 days but don't have to open to the public just the faculty.

Nope.

I can count on the number of coaches and even those who teach only, who have been "hired" from the word GO, but the district still had to post the job and even conducted formal interviews (even though they were meaningless). Jobs are posted through the Kentucky Departmenf of Education(all teaching jobs must be posted on this website), to the KHSAA site and/or the district website for that school.

Ill gladly eat crow if I'm wrong (Lord knows I am all the time), but I'd bet the house on this.
You may be right if this were a teaching job. But if Mac is already a teacher there, we are talking about an extra duty, not a teaching job in the system. I don't think you have to post these extra curricular duties. Maybe I'm wrong.
Xerxes Wrote:You may be right if this were a teaching job. But if Mac is already a teacher there, we are talking about an extra duty, not a teaching job in the system. I don't think you have to post these extra curricular duties. Maybe I'm wrong.

A coaching job does not have to be posted for 30 days. Only a teaching position. It is on the KDE website.
I thought if you were in the system already that you didn't have to do anything but assign someone in the system. If that was the route you wanted to go. So this tells me that they are looking to see who applies.
KYcoalminer Wrote:A coaching job does not have to be posted for 30 days. Only a teaching position. It is on the KDE website.
Exactly!
definitely need some consistency there...All the best to the Pikeville program
Have they decided anything? This must be killing the moral for the team. Is there schedule the same as last?
sheriff Wrote:Have they decided anything? This must be killing the moral for the team. Is there schedule the same as last?
IMO the adminstration is just waiting for the 30 day period to be up and then they will announce Chris Mcnamee as head coach. If team morale is hurting the kids arent showing it. Been hearing that the weight room has been full after school every day and the kids are working hard. The Schedule is tough this year but isnt as bad as the last 2 years.

Boyd County in the PCB

Danville in the Cumberland Falls Bowl @ Corbin

@P-burg

Belfry at home

@ Sheldon Clark.
The last 3 are the toughest ones IMO.
They need to make a decision before spring football.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:IMO the adminstration is just waiting for the 30 day period to be up and then they will announce Chris Mcnamee as head coach. If team morale is hurting the kids arent showing it. Been hearing that the weight room has been full after school every day and the kids are working hard. The Schedule is tough this year but isnt as bad as the last 2 years.

Boyd County in the PCB

Danville in the Cumberland Falls Bowl @ Corbin

@P-burg

Belfry at home

@ Sheldon Clark.
The last 3 are the toughest ones IMO.

Why do they continue to play teams that are over their head, some of their players quit last year because they were playing these type teams. Does not make sense to me. This could be 0-5 maybe 1-4 against this teams
pikecountyfootball Wrote:Why do they continue to play teams that are over their head, some of their players quit last year because they were playing these type teams. Does not make sense to me. This could be 0-5 maybe 1-4 against this teams
Then they shouldn't have been there in the first place. If they go up against hard workers in their field at work, what are they going to do? Draw a check? MAN UP PEOPLE.

I think we will hear something soon.
4 coaches in 4 years if that is true the parents need to have a meeting with the
high school or move to P.C.
troubles Wrote:4 coaches in 4 years if that is true the parents need to have a meeting with the
high school or move to P.C.

This is about the MOST ignorant statement i have ever read. Never happen!!
How about an update?

1) How is spring football going under McNamee?
2) How has Coach Howard adjusted or rebounded (wherever he is)?
3) What is the projection on roster size and wins/losses in 2010?