Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Kentucky
75.51%
Clemson
24.49%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky vs. Clemson (Music City Bowl) 12/27
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the words "blow out". I think those words may have been a little too much.

I will agree with your assessment that Florida and Alabama were games that UK wasn't able to compete in. However, and just being fair here, of UK's 7 wins they include games versus Miami of Ohio, UofL (see Kragthorpe's gone), Louisiana-Monroe, EKU, and Vandy. Granted, you also defeated UGA @ Athens (although they are down a bit), and Auburn @ their place. However, then you have losses to Mississippi State, the shamecocks, and UT (in OT)?

I'm saying that if you start comparing schedules (Clemson lost to Maryland!) it sort of sets you up for both good points and bad points. You have to take them both. You need to recognize that Clemson barely lost to TCU (in a BCS game), GT twice (in a BCS game). Turnovers killed us versus the shamecocks and looking past Maryland is my best guess on them?

I am saying this - Clemson's offense has improved steadily. Our defense struggled of late with some rushing attacks (most notable the triple-option of GT), however I don't think UK has quite that threat? Add in that Hartline may or not play and you are back to playing a freshman QB just like Clemson is.

As for Jacoby Ford, while he is quite the speedster, Xavier Dye is going to be a player plus our 2 tight ends (Palmer being the better of the 2).

Clemson needs to find it's identity again on defense. If/when that happens, I feel like (from watching both teams - and from judging both team's football strengths/weaknesses) Clemson is the better team. Could other things come into play? Surely. The game is at night. It could be cold? Players could return from injuries? It's 2 days after Christmas. These are kids playing football!

No excuses this time. I hope Clemson comes to play. I say that not only because I'm dropping way too much money to ride down and watch this game (plus stay in a hotel a few nights), but because I think Dabo Swinney has these Tigers primed and headed in a new direction. This would be a nice way for him to cap off his first full year as the Clemson Head Coach.
And one more thing, this is the kind of junk your fellow SEC buddies are posting on message boards in South Carolina.

They beat us for the first time in 20 years in their own stadium this year. They are 541-540-44 in 100 years of football with 1 conference win (1969) and NO national championships in ANY sport - so defeating Clemson (not UK) made their season.

Just FYI. This is about as clever as you can expect from someone who pulls for the chickens.
I can say without reservation that I cannot stand USCjr fans. Far and away the most lowbrow fans in the SEC. Like the saying goes "Alabama's Sense of Entitlement, Vanderbilt's Trophy Case"
I really like UK's chances in this game. UK has seen much tougher competition than Clemson. I don't think the Wildcats will be able to slow down Spiller much (the kid has NFL RB written all over him). It's going to be tough but I believe the 'Cats get their 4th straight bowl win in their 4th straight appearance.

Go Wildcats!
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I really like UK's chances in this game. UK has seen much tougher competition than Clemson. I don't think the Wildcats will be able to slow down Spiller much (the kid has NFL RB written all over him). It's going to be tough but I believe the 'Cats get their 4th straight bowl win in their 4th straight appearance.

Go Wildcats!

Are you talking about Auburn (lost to Georgia) or UGA (see Independence Bowl vs Texas A&M and lost 45-19 to UT & 41-17 to Florida)? What other "competition" do you think UK faced that is better than Clemson?
FF40212 Wrote:Are you talking about Auburn or UGA? What other "competition" do you think UK faced that is better than Clemson?

Are you forgetting that UK is in the SEC and have played the best two teams in the country in Alabama and Florida?

Throw in Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Mississippi State, and South Carolina and you have a much tougher schedule that Clemson played this year. Georgia went into Georgia Tech and knocked them off on the road even more significantly than the score of that game shows. Georgia Tech is your ACC champions, who were beaten by Georgia who was beaten by UK.

I'm not talking about who UK has beaten, I'm talking about who they have played.

You can't tell me UK can't win this game.
I agree ODM43. I'm taking the Wildcats as well by a touchdown. It should be a great game once again in Nashville.
I voted for Clemson, and it killed me to do so. I just dont' know if UK can stop Spiller....Prove me wrong Cats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Are you forgetting that UK is in the SEC and have played the best two teams in the country in Alabama and Florida?

Throw in Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Mississippi State, and South Carolina and you have a much tougher schedule that Clemson played this year. Georgia went into Georgia Tech and knocked them off on the road even more significantly than the score of that game shows. Georgia Tech is your ACC champions, who were beaten by Georgia who was beaten by UK.

I'm not talking about who UK has beaten, I'm talking about who they have played.

You can't tell me UK can't win this game.

Again, you are talking about games that UK L-O-S-T. I am asking what competition did UK defeat? Georgia? Auburn? Heck, Clemson LOST to TCU (by 4) and GT (once by 2 points and again by 5 points) - both of which are in BCS bowls too. Clemson hasn't been "blown out" (there goes that word again) ANY this season.

I know you all are proud of being in the SEC. But then again, don't take the whole "we played a tougher schedule" from me -

Here is where CBS says Clemson's Strength of Schedule is #15 in the nation and UK's is #46 - http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...120/index2

Here is where the Sagarin Ratings have Clemson #21 and UK #40 - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt09.htm

And here is where the betting folks get their numbers from, Clemson is #24 and the C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS are #53 - http://www.gberatings.com/sos/

But then again, what do these guys really know???????
Benchwarmer Wrote:Is the ACC that weak? 2nd place ACC team vs a middle of the pack SEC team.

No, FSU got pushed ahead of the pack because of Bowden retiring. The Gator Bowl was not obligated to take them becaue they took the runner-up a couple of years ago and only have to once every contract term. I'm pretty sure that if you'd watched ESPN for at least 2 seconds you'd know this.

But Clemson has alot of speed and might be playing with a chip on their shoulder because of the snub forced by FSU or they may just say forget it like they did last time becaue they dreamed of a better bowl. I think though Clemson will win this game behind C.J. Spiller as he'll try to boost his draft stock as do all seniors this time of year. Plus UK for some strange reason has their best qb at wr, why I don't know. Apparently running dynamic routes is cool to Joker Phillips, but I think hey it doesn't matter what type of playmaker he is if noone can get him the ball. If Cobb plays qb it will be much closer with UK even winning. But I don't see that happening so...

Clemson-42
Kentucky-14
The SEC is just better than the ACC.
UK 24
Clemson 13
NYY10 Wrote:I Like Cleamson in this one. by around 14 points
Since your being picky here, it's Clemson not Cleamson.:biggrin:
yea as bad as i hate to say it I will take clemson 35-24
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NYY10 Wrote:Its Purdue, not Perdue

Well, you cannot spell s-u-c-k without "UK."

FYI, relevent teams play on New Year's Day. The only thing that keeps UK from being irrelevent is that y'all are in the $EC.

BTW, I vividly recall the last time a Big East team played an SEC team in the Sugar Bowl. Greg Blue is STILL looking the Jawja Dome over for his jock after Steve Slaton burned it off of him TWICE.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Well, you cannot spell s-u-c-k without "UK."

FYI, relevent teams play on New Year's Day. The only thing that keeps UK from being irrelevent is that y'all are in the $EC.

BTW, I vividly recall the last time a Big East team played an SEC team in the Sugar Bowl. Greg Blue is STILL looking the Jawja Dome over for his jock after Steve Slaton burned it off of him TWICE.

stop talking about west virginia basketball team like that. west virginia better stick to football because they're no basketball school.

what are you going to say if uk beats clemson i doubt many outside the uk fan base gave them much of chance last time either

West virgina is a weak football team this year and not a force nationally when you can regularly step up play and beat the likes of lsu, alabama,florida in football and Kentucky/tn/florida in basketball then you might get some credit but until then mountaineer football/basketball sucks:thanks:

wv couldnt even beat auburn this year who kentucky beat.

I don't think either team wins by more than 2 tds

i'll say Kentucky 35-28 over clemson
phoeniXX Wrote:The SEC is just better than the ACC.
UK 24
Clemson 13

It's quotes like this that really confuse me when shamecock fans say them. I guess I will just move the question to you Cats fans now?

What is with the "we are in the SEC" so that makes us superior attitude? Now, don't get me wrong, the top 2 teams in the SEC are no doubt the best 2 football teams in the country this year (I feel like their game on Saturday should have been the defacto National Championship).

However, Kentucky is not one of those teams. In fact, there is a HUGE disparity in your own conference -

East -
Florida 8-0
Tennessee 4-4
Georgia 4-4
chickens 3-5
Kentucky 3-5
Vandy 0-8

West -
Alabama 8-0
LSU 5-3
Ole Miss 4-4
Arkansas 3-5
Auburn 3-5
Mississippi State 3-5

So, as you can see, in the "mighty" SEC, there are 3 teams out of the 12 with above .500 records in conference? I'm sure the whole "we beat each other up during conference play" argument will come out. But doesn't that go for EVERY conference? EVERY college team has to play the bulk of their schedule in a conference!

I guess I just don't get it. Being in the bottom half of a conference doesn't seem like a way to brag about just being in a certain conference? In fact, I don't hear Georgia and LSU fans bragging about "just playing in the SEC" in basketball??????
FF40212 Wrote:It's quotes like this that really confuse me when shamecock fans say them. I guess I will just move the question to you Cats fans now?

What is with the "we are in the SEC" so that makes us superior attitude? Now, don't get me wrong, the top 2 teams in the SEC are no doubt the best 2 football teams in the country this year (I feel like their game on Saturday should have been the defacto National Championship).

However, Kentucky is not one of those teams. In fact, there is a HUGE disparity in your own conference -

East -
Florida 8-0
Tennessee 4-4
Georgia 4-4
chickens 3-5
Kentucky 3-5
Vandy 0-8

West -
Alabama 8-0
LSU 5-3
Ole Miss 4-4
Arkansas 3-5
Auburn 3-5
Mississippi State 3-5

So, as you can see, in the "mighty" SEC, there are 3 teams out of the 12 with above .500 records in conference? I'm sure the whole "we beat each other up during conference play" argument will come out. But doesn't that go for EVERY conference? EVERY college team has to play the bulk of their schedule in a conference!

I guess I just don't get it. Being in the bottom half of a conference doesn't seem like a way to brag about just being in a certain conference? In fact, I don't hear Georgia and LSU fans bragging about "just playing in the SEC" in basketball??????
it is a known fact the sec is the best conference in football and a top 3 in basketball. just the simple facts that Kentucky played the top sec teams win or loss gets them ready for any other team from any conference.

I haven't seen ay uk fans bragging about the music city bowl its just uk fans are happy to be in a bowl again.

by the way who is your super macho team?
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:stop talking about west virginia basketball team like that. west virginia better stick to football because they're no basketball school.

what are you going to say if uk beats clemson i doubt many outside the uk fan base gave them much of chance last time either

West virgina is a weak football team this year and not a force nationally when you can regularly step up play and beat the likes of lsu, alabama,florida in football and Kentucky/tn/florida in basketball then you might get some credit but until then mountaineer football/basketball sucks:thanks:

wv couldnt even beat auburn this year who kentucky beat.

I don't think either team wins by more than 2 tds

i'll say Kentucky 35-28 over clemson

Then I'll say for the umpteenth time since VPLies, Cryami, and the BCBackstabbers bolted.....THE ASHESHE SUCKS!!!
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Well, you cannot spell s-u-c-k without "UK."

Really? thats sooooo old.
Trying to keep this on-topic best I can, but geez. As stated above, it is a fact that the SEC is the best football conference in the country and has been for a long time. There is no opinions or any way of going around that.

Once again, I'm not saying UK will win this game. I'm just saying I think they will win this game.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Trying to keep this on-topic best I can, but geez. As stated above, it is a fact that the SEC is the best football conference in the country and has been for a long time. There is no opinions or any way of going around that.

Once again, I'm not saying UK will win this game. I'm just saying I think they will win this game.
:Thumbs:
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:it is a known fact the sec is the best conference in football and a top 3 in basketball. just the simple facts that Kentucky played the top sec teams win or loss gets them ready for any other team from any conference.

I haven't seen ay uk fans bragging about the music city bowl its just uk fans are happy to be in a bowl again.

by the way who is your super macho team?

I'm pretty sure I've made it clear that I am a Clemson fan. I live in Kentucky though. I actually used to dislike UK when we first moved here, but through our dealings with many in their football department I have developed a liking for those guys. I hate that we have to play them.

Now, as for the SEC. I don't argue that that is the toughest football conference in the nation.

I guess I don't understand your logic? It's like me saying "my wife is a good photographer, so that means since I live with here I am a good photographer"?

Again, I don't hear Georgia, LSU, Arkansas, etc. using this same line in basketball when UK has dominated them. Why are you all using it now?
FF40212 Wrote:I'm pretty sure I've made it clear that I am a Clemson fan. I live in Kentucky though. I actually used to dislike UK when we first moved here, but through our dealings with many in their football department I have developed a liking for those guys. I hate that we have to play them.

Now, as for the SEC. I don't argue that that is the toughest football conference in the nation.

I guess I don't understand your logic? It's like me saying "my wife is a good photographer, so that means since I live with here I am a good photographer"?

Again, I don't hear Georgia, LSU, Arkansas, etc. using this same line in basketball when UK has dominated them. Why are you all using it now?

Kentucky over the last few years has proved they can beat the lsu, georgia,auburn etc and compete with tn, alabama, florida,south carolina and pretty much every team in the sec

If clemson comes in underestimating this uk team because they finished 7-5 and 3-5 in the sec they will lose.
kentucky is a diffrent kentucky when there playing in a bowl game..
I don't think UK is "competing" with Alabama or Florida. If you look at your conference standings, it appears the only team you have "out-competed" is Vanderbilt???

As for logmountainboy64's assertion that UK is somehow better in bowl games, let's take a stroll down memory lane -

2006 (first bowl bid since 1999) - defeated an uninspired Clemson team for UK's first bowl win in 22 years 28-20
(Question: were they a different team in the bowls in those previous 22 years? hmmmmm)
2007 - defeated HALF of FSU's team (did not come close to covering the spread) and was nearly upset by them 35-28
2008 - defeated CUSA power East Carolina after trailing until the 3rd quarter, but squeaked a win 25-19

Again, folks, FACTS. Let's stick to the FACTS!!!!!!!!
FF40212 Wrote:I don't think UK is "competing" with Alabama or Florida. If you look at your conference standings, it appears the only team you have "out-competed" is Vanderbilt???

As for logmountainboy64's assertion that UK is somehow better in bowl games, let's take a stroll down memory lane -

2006 (first bowl bid since 1999) - defeated an uninspired Clemson team for UK's first bowl win in 22 years 28-20
(Question: were they a different team in the bowls in those previous 22 years? hmmmmm)
2007 - defeated HALF of FSU's team (did not come close to covering the spread) and was nearly upset by them 35-28
2008 - defeated CUSA power East Carolina after trailing until the 3rd quarter, but squeaked a win 25-19

Again, folks, FACTS. Let's stick to the FACTS!!!!!!!!
uninspired clemson that is a laugh get real UK is no pushover for clemson I sure hope the players don't think like you because they will be in a world of hurt.
uk hasn't been able to stop a RB all year and spiller is one of the best in the nation. my heart says the cats my brain says clemson will win this one
catsfan44 Wrote:uk hasn't been able to stop a RB all year and spiller is one of the best in the nation. my heart says the cats my brain says clemson will win this one
If clemsons fans on rivals.com are any indications of how clemson will play uk wins because a lot of them are staying home just because they have to play uk in the music city bowl again.

players feed of the crowd
UK fans will dominate the seats
I just have this feeling that we'll see how weak the acc really is this year.
catsfan44 Wrote:uk hasn't been able to stop a RB all year and spiller is one of the best in the nation. my heart says the cats my brain says clemson will win this one
south carolina beat clemson and you know how close uk was to beating south carolina so these clemson fans who think Kentucky doesn't deserve to be there are in for gut check.
I've said all along that UK whipped Clemson 3 years ago. In every phase of that bowl game. In all my years of following Tiger football, I was shocked to see our fans overwhelmed by the other team's colors. Clemson did NOT want to be there. The team didn't, the fans didn't, and it showed. I think UK was HUNGRY back then though. It was your first bowl since 1999. You all have been to 4 bowls in Tennessee the last 4 years. You are returning to the same city and same bowl for the 3rd time in 4 years. I also heard plenty of UK fans who said after your UT loss "we aren't going if the bowl is in Tennessee again". I say you all are in the same boat, potentially, with your fan's attitude?

If you go back to my original post you will see that I said I think if Clemson shows up, then they will win. I mean that with all due respect to UK.

No one is underestimating UK.

I will say that CJ Spiller was quoted in the paper down in SC as saying that "he had never won a bowl game" and with this being his last chance he wanted to "go out a winner".

I think it will be different. Heck, I'm spending a ton of money to go watch so I definitely hope Clemson shows up!

As for you all and your "SEC hype", I've asked several times for someone to explain how a bottom-dweller in the SEC is something to be proud of? And how does insulting the ACC answer that question? We aren't talking about the ACC. Explain how in your own conference you have a losing record and that somehow makes you a quality program? Especially when the majority of the rest of your wins are against teams like Louisiana-Monroe, EKU, Vandy, lowly UofL, and Miami of Ohio......

I just keep proving you wrong with FACTS and you all keep replying "SEC" "SEC". Someone said that UK had faced tougher competition than Clemson - I showed you all 3 major sites that proved that wrong. Someone else talked about how UK is "competing in the SEC" - I showed you all where you are in the bottom of your Division and in your conference.

Seriously, I think the one fellow is right (and I really respect the fact that he is saying this up front) - you all think with your hearts. There is nothing wrong with being loyal to the team you support. However, you can't get on a message board and debate if the facts don't support your comments!