Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky vs. Clemson (Music City Bowl) 12/27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
thoughts/predictions
With Sam Maxwell being out, CJ Spiller could run all over us....
Is the ACC that weak? 2nd place ACC team vs a middle of the pack SEC team.
KENTUCKY gets 4th bowl win in a row
Navajo4life Wrote:With Sam Maxwell being out, CJ Spiller could run all over us....

Spiller does bother me. I hope UK's offense can match Clemson's because the Cats will not stop Spiller if they couldn't stop Miss. State's RB.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Is the ACC that weak? 2nd place ACC team vs a middle of the pack SEC team.

I was wondering the same thing. Georgia Tech is really good but is the gap really THAT big between ACC teams?

It looks like UK had a pretty bad draw. Grant it, they have beaten Clemson before in (I think) the same Bowl Game. Let's hope lightning strikes twice!
This is the 2nd place ACC team and you all are saying they're weak? Would you rather be playing the Canes? There are 3 ranked ACC teams, and one of them is not Clemson. Those 3 are all ranked in the top 15(GT, VT, Miami). The ACC is definitely not weak, just all around the conference has dealt a lot of internal losses.
Should be a good fit for the 'Cats". Clemson not a physical type team and feel like the cats match-up well.
Clemson is physical and they love to run the ball. Spiller may be the best back UK will have faced this year and thats saying something. I just don't see this UK defense being able to stop Spiller. Especially without Maxwell.
Coach Brooks has shown us that for over the past three seasons, Kentucky can win their bowl games impressively when we have time to prepare for our opponent. All of our players should be healthy and the loss of Maxwell will hurt, but I have faith in papaw Brooks & comp.

I'll take UK by 7.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Is the ACC that weak? 2nd place ACC team vs a middle of the pack SEC team.
Well this is why you get Clemson. The Gator Bowl took FSU for Bowden's last game. The Chick-fil-a Bowl took VT, The Champs took Miami, so other than FSU if I was UK I will take Clemson.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:thoughts/predictions

Pffft!!! I would not brag about going back to the Banjo Bowl. UK has not been to a New Year's bowl since Timmy Couch last wore a UK uniform.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Pffft!!! I would not brag about going back to the Banjo Bowl. UK has not been to a New Year's bowl since Timmy Couch last wore a UK uniform.
where have I bragged on the music city bowl. :ChairHit: I'm waiting for you to tell me where I bragged on the music city bowl. I can't wait until your overrated mountaineer team plays a real basketball team.

I still think uk would kick that mountaineer *** in football and i know wv wants none of wall and patterson in bball.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:where have I bragged on the music city bowl. :ChairHit: I'm waiting for you to tell me where I bragged on the music city bowl. I can't wait until your overrated mountaineer team plays a real basketball team.

I still think uk would kick that mountaineer *** in football and i know wv wants none of wall and patterson in bball.

I was not meaning anyone in particular was bragging about going to the Banjo Bowl.

As as far as WVU being overrated, we play @ Perdue on New Year's Day. ddef will have the TV on the Gator Bowl and the radio on the basketball game.

And I cannot wait until Truck Bryant and Devin Ebanks gets ahold of that smackarse Wall and Bledsoe.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I was not meaning anyone in particular was bragging about going to the Banjo Bowl.

As as far as WVU being overrated, we play @ Perdue on New Year's Day. ddef will have the TV on the Gator Bowl and the radio on the basketball game.

And I cannot wait until Truck Bryant and Devin Ebanks gets ahold of that smackarse Wall and Bledsoe.
WV couldn't even beat uk's basketball team last year with ebanks what makes you think they can beat this top 5 uk team. also if you want to talk/uk clemson then fine but we're in this thread to talk about the wildcats meeting with clemson. I'm sure all the uk fans would be glad to smack talk about wv vs uk basketball or football in another thread.
This could be bad..I think we lose by 2+ tds..sure hope not though
I think we get our 4th bowl in a row over the runner up in the ACC!!! Go Cats!!

UK wins by 2 TDs
This could go either way. However, I like our chances. South Carolina did just beat them in their rivalry game and Clemson played GT tough and GT had just lost to Georgia the week after UK beat them. I know you can't compare apples to oranges but it does look good for UK. And they are from the ACC.
UK by 14
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Pffft!!! I would not brag about going back to the Banjo Bowl. UK has not been to a New Year's bowl since Timmy Couch last wore a UK uniform.

Technically you are wrong.... the Liberty Bowl last year was played in January on the same day as the Cotton and Sugar Bowl. You remember? When UK beat the same East Carolina team who had previously knocked off WVU?
Papaw has had UK well prepared for the 1st three bowl games and I believe it will be the same story this time.
UK 27
Clemson 20
Clemson is good. I don't know about this game.
UK by a field goal.
The kickoff team better be ready to cover Spiller.
I have decided not to do the driving spree and just spend Christmas in Mississippi.
For those going who have never been to Nashville:

LP Field sits on the river adjacent to downtown. You have parking directly surrounding the stadium, or you can choose to park in downtown and take one of the two foot bridges that cross the river.

Where to Stay
Few key things to address first to help decide where you want to stay.
1. The game is at 8:30 CST if I am not mistaken, which means it won't be over until roughly 11:30. Cabs in downtown Nashville are attrocious between 1:30 am until the bars close..before 1:30 they are everywhere along Broadway. Cabs are moderately priced compared to most big cities. A trip to the Vanderbilt/West End will be 15.00 or less, a trip to the airport will be 35.00-40.00, a trip to Opryland area will be 40.00-50.00.
2. Parking in downtown is fairly reasonable. You can park at the Hilton for 15.00-20.00 and be right at a pedestrian bridge. If you don't mind walking you can find 10.00 parking very easily.
3. In terms of safety..Nashville has bad areas. I would limit my choices of where to stay to Downtown, West End/Vanderbilt, Airport, and Opryland area. You can always stay in Brentwood if you wanted, but it is a solid drive to the city.

With that said:
Downtown- Ideal place to stay because you can walk everywhere and be right where the night life is. The trade off is price... downtown will be expensive. Prise wise High 100's to high 200's.

West End/Vanderbilt- Will require either to drive, take a taxi, or a shuttle because it will be 2-5 miles away. Moderately priced, plenty of places to eat, and usually pretty good accomodations. my suggestion is use the Courtyard by Marriott as a reference. About 2.5 miles away.. you can walk to about 7 different restaraunts..and they run a free shuttle downtown. Price wise in the mid 100's to high 100's.

Airport- Will require driving, taxi, or shuttle. Cheaper than West End.. but less to see and do and much further away. Wide gambit of accomodations from low end to high end. I stayed at the LaQuinta one night and was pleasantly surprised. It was like 60.00 and exceeded my expectations. Range from 60.00 to mid 100's.

Opryland- I honestly would stay elsewhere unless you want to go to Opryland or just find an excellent deal. Furthest distance. Prices from 60.00 to mid 100's.

WHAT TO DO
- Hit the Honkey Tonks. They line Broadway downtown leading to the river. One of the best live music venues in the country. Nearly all of them have free cover charges...but note that smoking is still allowed in Nashville bars.
- Ryman Auditorium- It is also downtown. Original home of the Grand Ole Opry..Zac Brown Band will be performing on Saturday night. Self guided tours are available during the day and for a small up charge you can go on a guided backstage tour. They even let you take you picture up on stage holding a guitar.
- Music Row- On the West End.. trust me it is very easy to overlook.
- Country Music Hall of Fame- Downtown.. I have never been but would expect it to be pretty cool.
- Opryland- Should still have all their Christmas decorations up.

WHERE TO GO AFTERWARDS
Bars/Honkey Tonks: The Stage (lots of well known artists make cameos), Paradise Park (Southern Rock meets country, great house band usually), Tin Roof (West End, gets very crowded but is a very good time), Wild Horse Saloon (where they filmed the show "Gone Country", it is HUGE...crowds are hit or miss), BB King's (Jazz bar, good BBQ)
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I was not meaning anyone in particular was bragging about going to the Banjo Bowl.

Its Purdue, not Perdue
I Like Cleamson in this one. by around 14 points
As a transplanted South Carolinian here in Kentucky and life-long Clemson fan, I will be glad to give you all the "scoop" here.

I want to begin by saying that I do admire UK football. I think that while there has been improvement over the last few years, unfortunately UK is still not "upper SEC caliber" yet.

I will also say that Clemson is just getting back on the road to success themselves.

For those of you who think that the last time UK and Clemson met in Nashville will somehow generate a repeat performance, let me disappoint you now with one name not CJ Spiller (who was a freshman back then) - Dabo Swinney. He is the key to the Tigers being where they are today, including the loss in the ACC Championship game the other night (a place Clemson hadn't been close to in 18 years).

When they last met (which I was there), Clemson was outdone by UK in every way. UK had more fans (which could be the case again potentially since UK has known for a little over a week now that they were going back to this bowl), more energy, and more passion to be there. UK was hungry. The fake punt and then subsequent long pass was all us Tiger fans needed in the first half to see that we were about to be outplayed. Again, no excuses, but UK wanted it more that day.

Now, as for today, this is a much different Clemson team. Different offensive and defensive coordinators, different Head Coach, different personality. On top of that, we've lost to the shamecocks and now GT in our last 2 games. This is Spiller's last collegiate game as well. I don't think focus will be as much of a problem.

There is nothing wrong with pulling for your team. I have seen a few laughable comments on here about folks wishing they could have played Miami (Clemson beat them AT Miami) or FSU (Clemson defeated them handily at Clemson). Also, comments about Clemson "not being physical" and comments that put the ACC down. Again, there is nothing wrong with pride. However, you all couldn't be more wrong. Clemson and the ACC are plenty strong enough. I will say that Clemson has struggled with the Wildcat formation stuff in our games versus Virginia and the shamecocks. I am thinking Cobb is a much better athlete than the player those 2 teams had running it as well. That is going to be a concern.

My prediction is this - if Clemson "shows up", the game won't be close. If Clemson reads our fan's comments about being 1 or 2 plays from the Orange Bowl instead of this one, we may have a ball game.

Again, just my opinion.....

GO TIGERS!
I love my Wildcats, but Spiller is the real deal. Speed, speed and more speed. He runs off of his blocks well, makes razor cuts, and doesn't ever seem to take a solid hit. I see the Tigers by 3 if Kentukcy slows Spiller if they don't it could get ugly real quick.
Hope I'm wrong!!
FF40212,

With all due respect I think just as if you hand picked UK fans comments for being wrong, assuming that Clemson could blow UK out is just as offbase.

Kentucky has only faced two teams who have been able to substantially prove they were clearly the better of the Wildcats, Alabama and UF, teams I think we both agree are on a completely different level than Clemson. UK will not blow Clemson out, and neither will the Tigers blow out UK.

It is also worth noting that Clemson did get romped at the hands of USCjr two weeks ago. This could be attributed to "looking ahead" (although it is hard to look ahead of your bitter rival). UK came only a two point conversion short in Columbia, in spite of losing their starting QB halfway through the game, getting torched by Alshon Jeffrey as both of UK's starting CB's were out, as well as trying a fake field goal in lieau of a chip shot kick that would have proved to be the game winner.

Trevard Lindley will finally be 100% for once and should be able to shut down Ford, Clemson's only viable playmaker catching the ball besides Spiller. The loss of Sam Maxwell certainly hurts UK though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5