•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Co. Central 2010
cherokee Wrote:This kid is a holdback, this was taped in 08 he played 8th grade again this year, he has had another year to grow and mature imagine that. Have not seen any tape for this past season.

If this is true, then he has given up his senior year of eligibility. Unless the school decided to hold him back, then he might be, but if the parents held him back, he will have to forfiet his last year of eligibility. If the school promoted him to the next grade (9th) then he must go or give up his last year of football eligibility. Read the KHSAA rule book

Maybe it doesnt apply to LCC.
OMG!!!! I wish we could get that #34 as well.
Unless this student failed his 8th. Grade year, according to the KHSAA bylaws, he will not be eligible if he actually got held back in 8th. Grade.

Bylaw 4. Enrollment
Sec. 1) Maximum Number of Semesters
a) A student promoted from grade eight (8) to grade nine (9)
shall have four (4) consecutive calendar years of eligibility from
the date of first promotion by the school provided the student
is eligible according to this and all other Association bylaws.
The eligibility shall conclude with the completion of the spring
sports season following the fourth year. No additional eligibility
may be granted in a case where the grant would allow a student
to compete in all or part of the fifth competitive season in a
single sport following the initial promotion by the school from
grade eight (8).

Do parents have options relative to holding students back
in grade eight?
Kentucky Department of Education regulations place the
responsibility for promotion or retention of a student on school
personnel and not parents. Once “promoted” from the eighth
grade, a student’s four consecutive calendar years (8 semesters)
of athletic eligibility begins.
A student repeating the eighth grade may not represent a high
school team at any level. In addition, if parents make the choice
to retain a student in the eighth grade after the student has
been promoted by school personnel, then that student will lose
his or her senior year of eligibility.
KYcoalminer Wrote:If this is true, then he has given up his senior year of eligibility. Unless the school decided to hold him back, then he might be, but if the parents held him back, he will have to forfiet his last year of eligibility. If the school promoted him to the next grade (9th) then he must go or give up his last year of football eligibility. Read the KHSAA rule book

Maybe it doesnt apply to LCC.

You can make a request to the school to hold a child back in the 8th grade as long as they have not been officially promoted to ninth. It has no effect on high school eligibility as long as they turn 19 after a certain date their Senior year. A child cannot play a high school sport while repeating a grade in elementary school but they can still play an elementary sport if the local grade school athletic association allows it. I do not believe grade school kids are allowed to play high school football anyway.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You can make a request to the school to hold a child back in the 8th grade as long as they have not been officially promoted to ninth. It has no effect on high school eligibility as long as they turn 19 after a certain date their Senior year. A child cannot play a high school sport while repeating a grade in elementary school but they can still play an elementary sport if the local grade school athletic association allows it. I do not believe grade school kids are allowed to play high school football anyway.

Do parents have options relative to holding students back
in grade eight?
personnel and not parents.
Once “promoted” from the eighth

Parents cannot request a holdback. It is the school's decision to make.
They can request the school who will make the decision on holding the child back. I know the decision is up to the school, but the school can hold the child back for whatever reason. Most of the time, it will be in favor of what the parents want. If the school approves the child staying back before he is promoted he does not lose any high school eligibility but he cannot play high school sports while he is repeating the grade.
Man the rumors and crap some LCC fans put on here. Some of you really take this crap to far. The kid will play his senior year. Don't you think a family full of athletes and teachers,coaches would have this all under control?
Hilbily Wrote:Man the rumors and crap some LCC fans put on here. Some of you really take this crap to far. The kid will play his senior year. Don't you think a family full of athletes and teachers,coaches would have this all under control?

I agree. I think this rumor crap started in Whitley County and has made its way into Letcher County as the rumors of him coming to LCC become more frequent.
All I was asking is this kid going to be a freshman or not next year at LCC? If no one knows, then it is a rumor. If someone has true info to back it up, then we can talk about this kid.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I'm still puzzled with who will be the head coach next year?????
Is Howard the coach or not? Is it official? If not, you guys are sure jumping the gun on this.
As far as official, not yet, but it will be in time. HH has sold his house in Pikeville and is moving to Florida.
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:As far as official, not yet, but it will be in time. HH has sold his house in Pikeville and is moving to Florida.

Hate to hear it. He's a **** of a coach.
Will MW be the next coach? Was he promised this last year?
They will make a decision by spring practice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Decision has been made for a long time..........Announcing it may happen around spring practice
58fan Wrote:Decision has been made for a long time..........Announcing it may happen around spring practice

:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

fbcoachnoitall Wrote:Do parents have options relative to holding students back
in grade eight?

It worked that way for a while, but if the parents want to hold them back it seems the school usually agrees. They just have to do it before they are promoted.
So what does LCC think of their new coach? Not much comment have I heard about what will be different or the same. Who will run the defense?
If Whitaker gets the job. Will LCC be satisfied with him?
Are talking about the school or the Cougar fans?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Are talking about the school or the Cougar fans?

Both?
The honeymoon may be over with the fans.
What do you mean by that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:What do you mean by that?

Rumblings have started with some fans and even on this board and maybe even some of your posts?
I believe he is probably talking about play calling among other things. It will go on no matter who is coaching............
This is Hillard's nephew that coaches his Junior High team for him. Hillard is leaving and yes he has bought a home in Florida. I look for him to be around during football season because you all know that a coach that has done it as long as Hillard has can't just walk away cold turkey. The team will be Coach Whitaker's next year and I hope that everyone will give him a chance to put in his own touches to make this program his instead of Hillard's and then people can judge if they are happy with him as a head coach. I for one know that nobody will outwork him as far as hours worked goes. He is one of the most organized and structured coaches that I have ever me and I know that he will work extremely hard to continue the winning tradition that Hillard and all of the coaches have worked so hard to develop. So COUGAR fans let's give Coach Whitaker a chance to show us what he can do. Nobody out there hates to see Hillard leave more than I do but I do think that Hillard had a little to do with bringing Whitaker in here so he must have faith and confidence in him for a reason.
LCC needs to develop a kicker. Someone that they are not afraid to send out there in an attyempt of a 30-40 yard FG. Most great teams have a decent kicker. And yes FG's can win games. Just ask Bell County.
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:Do parents have options relative to holding students back
in grade eight?

why would the family move to Letcher from whitley. He wont start until his JR year. take him closer to home.
I think that the young man and his parent wants him to play for his uncle Mike Whitaker. I understand why he would want to do this and according to everyone Coach Whitaker is one heck of a QB coach.
Same rumor was in Powell County last year about Whitaker's nephew.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next