Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ladies Volleyball State Tournament
I think more tournaments during the regular season that allows eastern ky kids to play each other. This is being done, but we need to do it more. Consolidation of our middle school Orange is the next big step. It has to be done in order for us to "raise the level of play in our program". I think a wise coach quoted those words somewhere.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:I think more tournaments during the regular season that allows eastern ky kids to play each other. This is being done, but we need to do it more. Consolidation of our middle school Orange is the next big step. It has to be done in order for us to "raise the level of play in our program". I think a wise coach quoted those words somewhere.

You can play each other a thousand times but if most of the teams are bad and are not getting better it isn't going to help. I think Letcher Central, Allen Central, Betsy Layne, South Floyd, and Belfry are headed in the right direction but what about the other schools. In my opinion, the only reason most schools in the 14th region even has volleyball is to keep Title 9 off of their back.
My reasons why we are behind

Here is one reason as I have mentioned before http://www.ovvc.com/kivahome.htm

Another biggy is most of these girls just play volleyball...they specialize in one sport

Someone also stated the parental support and school support

We have had volleyball in EKY for 10-12 years 30 years plus Lville-NKY...kids are getting coached by people who grew up playing the game. We have just started middle school in the last five years. KIVA is winning national titles.
State tournament ended last night...they had tryouts today
This is the site for the River Cities Thunder volleyball that the Russell girls play on if anyone else in eastern,ky is interrested in trying out. The head coach is the head coach for Marshall University.

http://rcthundervbc.wordpress.com/
These are the local players who played for River Cities this year whos names I remembered from Ashland and Rose Hill and Russell.

Russell

Kylie Rice- so

Lindsey Wolfe- jr

Lauren Gill- 18s
Gill graduated last year From Russell the others will be back next year for Russell.

Rose Hill- Rebeckah Mays- Sr this year

Ashland- Sierra Crum Sr this year.
here are the complete rosters for River cities from this year.

18 and under
Tabitha Bias
Sydney Brickett
Taylor Cassidy
Lauren Gil
Angela Holt
Kathy Sanders
Erin Laws
Rebekah Mayes
Ali Musick
Shelby Paxton

17 and under
Emi Smith
Caroline Frulla
Kylie Rice
Haley Rosier
Abby Steele
Lindsey Wolfe
Brittani Brooks
Jessica Flanery
Sierra Crum

14 and under
Erin Bowling
Jenny Brumfield
Kyra Crenshaw
Molly Dixon
Taylor Riedel
Jacqueline Sites
Alexis Williams
MacKenzie Smith
Catie Waldron
Tin Cup Wrote:My reasons why we are behind

Here is one reason as I have mentioned before http://www.ovvc.com/kivahome.htm

Another biggy is most of these girls just play volleyball...they specialize in one sport

Someone also stated the parental support and school support

We have had volleyball in EKY for 10-12 years 30 years plus Lville-NKY...kids are getting coached by people who grew up playing the game. We have just started middle school in the last five years. KIVA is winning national titles.
You are correct and until those type of conditions show up here...you are just playing to get to the state tourney.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You can play each other a thousand times but if most of the teams are bad and are not getting better it isn't going to help. I think Letcher Central, Allen Central, Betsy Layne, South Floyd, and Belfry are headed in the right direction but what about the other schools. In my opinion, the only reason most schools in the 14th region even has volleyball is to keep Title 9 off of their back.

I agree, but other than our district, how many regional team do we have to play? I think more regular season games with 12th, 13, and 16th region teams. We play a bunch of 15th region teams, but I figure replacing some of those teams with better competition will only make us better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

That will change next year as we play a two day tournament at the beginning of the season with just district teams. This will count towards seeding and it will open up the time slots next year to play other teams. You need to keep playing teams from the 15th as it is the best region from the 12th to the 16th.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:That will change next year as we play a two day tournament at the beginning of the season with just district teams. This will count towards seeding and it will open up the time slots next year to play other teams. You need to keep playing teams from the 15th as it is the best region from the 12th to the 16th.
From year to year the 16th is better than the 15th. I don't think it was this year but in most years the top 16th would eat the 15th top teams alive.
For instance we played Johnson Central a couple years ago at Ashland Blazer when they were one of the top 3 15th region teams and beat them 25-9,25-9.
I would have to say I disagree with your evaluation of the Mercy coach. It is the quality of coaching the fundamentals to the players and obtaining consistency which makes a team better. Are you saying the Greenup County girls are playing at their full potential?
Is Russell playing at their full potential? I do not believe either team is playing at full potential and a good coach can recognize those weaknesses. Being satisfied with current situation is never going to win any state championships, satisfaction come with winning.
Zippidydoodah Wrote:I would have to say I disagree with your evaluation of the Mercy coach. It is the quality of coaching the fundamentals to the players and obtaining consistency which makes a team better. Are you saying the Greenup County girls are playing at their full potential?
Is Russell playing at their full potential? I do not believe either team is playing at full potential and a good coach can recognize those weaknesses. Being satisfied with current situation is never going to win any state championships, satisfaction come with winning.

It all about the talent they have to work with at Mercy all of their players come in with many years experience back into grade school in volleyball before they even enter in high school.

And yes I am saying Greenup County girls are playing to their full potential it has to do with the fact they don't have near as much talent as Russell has. Another thing is I don't think Russell win ever be satisfied with the all the regional championships and the elite 8s they have until they win it all.

You can't be serious if you think Mercys coach could come in and take Greenup County to the region championship right away it would take years to make that happen.
When you get the pick of the litter, funding, and the chance to play year round in AAU, and other tournaments you can legally go to it does make a huge difference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I'd say yes, Mercy's coach could make significant changes in the playing level of Greenup and yes, Russell would be concerned about losing some of their top players to a coach with Mercy's experience. If the opportunity was available for the Russell players to gain additional knowledge resulting in a higher level of playing, I believe they would take it. Would you turn down a $100 if you already had one in your pocket? I guess some people are satisfied competing for last place in the state tourney.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:I'd say yes, Mercy's coach could make significant changes in the playing level of Greenup and yes, Russell would be concerned about losing some of their top players to a coach with Mercy's experience. If the opportunity was available for the Russell players to gain additional knowledge resulting in a higher level of playing, I believe they would take it. Would you turn down a $100 if you already had one in your pocket? I guess some people are satisfied competing for last place in the state tourney.
Russell would never lose any players to Greenup County for one thng its about 20+ miles from here.Another thing is players don't want to play for a team who can't make the state tournament if they have a choice to play for a team who makes it about every year.

I guess you must be one of those Northern Kentucky Volleyball supporters because if you knew how far Greenup County high school was from Russell you would have knew that Russell players wouldn't go there in the first place.

And the opportunity is there for Russell players to get more experience at a high level in volleyball but some of them are 2 and 3 sport athletes. But the ones who are just into volleyball do play aau. Theres even one girl who plays aau who also plays softball.

So again We will have to disagree and keep it at that.
The KHSAA started volley ball in 1979. Private schools have won the state tourny every year. Thats 30 in a row for the private schools. Must be the coaching.
Benchwarmer Wrote:The KHSAA started volley ball in 1979. Private schools have won the state tourny every year. Thats 30 in a row for the private schools. Must be the coaching.

More like its the talent they have to work with. Any decent coach could take Mercy, assumption, Newport Central Catholic or sacred heart to the final 4 or win the state championship with the talent they have.
Public schools in more rural areas are not going to make the extra effort to develop their volleyball teams to a state championship caliber because most of them put boys athletics first and don't a **** about girls athletics.
According to you, Russell doesn't even need a coach since the girls are so talented (which I am sure they may be) and playing to their full potential (which I am sure they are not).

I only hope you are not so narrowminded that you refuse any help which could possibly help these girls get to state tournament especially since they never made it this year.

I also checked some of your stats and Russell was also beaten by Johnson Central this year 2-0 when JC was not one of the top 3 teams of their Region. What happened to Russell this year with all their talent? Is it excuses time?
Sounds like coaching to me. And you really shouldnt speak for all the girls, because basically they want to win. They really just want someone to show them what they can do differently to win. If Mercy's coach went to Greenup, which wouldn't happen, you could wave bye bye. I drive further to Wal-mart than the distance between the 2 schools so I am certain the logistics is not a problem.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Public schools in more rural areas are not going to make the extra effort to develop their volleyball teams to a state championship caliber because most of them put boys athletics first and don't a **** about girls athletics.

This is the truth! When the fans support volleyball same as basketball or football, then the public schools will see more support for this program.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:According to you, Russell doesn't even need a coach since the girls are so talented (which I am sure they may be) and playing to their full potential (which I am sure they are not).

I only hope you are not so narrowminded that you refuse any help which could possibly help these girls get to state tournament especially since they never made it this year.

I also checked some of your stats and Russell was also beaten by Johnson Central this year 2-0 when JC was not one of the top 3 teams of their Region. What happened to Russell this year with all their talent? Is it excuses time?
Sounds like coaching to me. And you really shouldnt speak for all the girls, because basically they want to win. They really just want someone to show them what they can do differently to win. If Mercy's coach went to Greenup, which wouldn't happen, you could wave bye bye. I drive further to Wal-mart than the distance between the 2 schools so I am certain the logistics is not a problem.
I believe I also said the 16th wasn't as strong as the 15th this year in an earlier post did I or did I not. All I got to say is bring Mercys coach to Greenup I hope Greenup goes out and pays big money to bring the coach down to GCHS since you seem to think its all about the coaching and not the talent.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:This is the truth! When the fans support volleyball same as basketball or football, then the public schools will see more support for this program.

You are right about that. They don't support nothing unless it brings in money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

There really needs to be separate divisions for private and public schools in the state tournament. Does anyone know why this has never been addressed before?
Too much opposition from the private community in my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

We as cougar fans really need not to worry about the private schools. Everyone that we have played in the state finals have been public schools in the first or second round.

2005 Lost to Tates Creek 25-14 25-10
2006 Beat Belfry 25-16 25-21, then lost to Lafayette 25-11 25-14
2007 Lost to Greenwood 25-5 25-8
2008 Lost to Russel 18-25 25-22 25-21
2009 Lost to Dunbar 25-10 25-11

So I think as far as LCC goes we need to worry about the Lexington public schools because that is what is getting us not the private schools. We have been competitive in some of those loses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:We as cougar fans really need not to worry about the private schools. Everyone that we have played in the state finals have been public schools in the first or second round.

2005 Lost to Tates Creek 25-14 25-10
2006 Beat Belfry 25-16 25-21, then lost to Lafayette 25-11 25-14
2007 Lost to Greenwood 25-5 25-8
2008 Lost to Russel 18-25 25-22 25-21
2009 Lost to Dunbar 25-10 25-11

So I think as far as LCC goes we need to worry about the Lexington public schools because that is what is getting us not the private schools. We have been competitive in some of those loses.
Hey cougarpride08 not to be mean or anything but Russell has 2 ls at the end. Just gets a little annoying when people misspell it and its not just you so don't think i'm just calling you out I see it to often. It would be like people spelling Belfrey like that instead of Belfry which I've seen before as well.
The Lexington public schools have never won the state tournament either which brings us back to the point that there needs to be a separation between the public and private schools in the state finals. Seems like it would be easy to do....just have separate brackets. Could even maybe consider having a championship for the private, a championship for the public, and then maybe even have the two champions play each other. Just a thought....
It's been an all Catholic final now for at least 30 years...79 is as far back as my programs go. These teams are just that good.

You have to be a good coach to get out of the 7th Region...Assumption and Sacred Heart are in the same district.