Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ladies Volleyball State Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Any information on the pairings and when play starts?
They have the pairings and times available at http://www.khsaa.org. Games start at 10:30 Friday morning, the championship game starts at 7:30 Saturday evening.
who is the favorite on winning the Volleyball State Tournament
Mercy, Assumption, or Sacret Heart!
All public schools take a back seat to this schools.
I wish LCC the best of luck in the tournament. I hope they will represent Letcher county and the 14th region well. Good luck Lady Cougars!
I am just glad we are facing Henry Clay, and not the private schools. I still think we need a sectional tournament like high school baseball use to do.
Will play Paul Lawrence Dunbar. Sectionals only allow 4 teams to experience the state tourney atmosphere instead of allowing 16 teams to experience a state tournament. A state tournament in any sport is an experience of a lifetime.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I am just glad we are facing Henry Clay, and not the private schools. I still think we need a sectional tournament like high school baseball use to do.

We play Dunbar.
Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction.
dunbar is ranked closely to the private schools
It is probably the highest ranked public school.
If we get 15 points I will be happy, but what can we do to be better than we already are in the off season is the question?
Continue working on blocking and hitting(quick and with velocity). They have already been working on these things and have vastly improved. They do need to improve more to compete with the upper echelon of teams in the state.
What is it called when you send a decoy jumper when you send it up,but it is ment for another hitter? I saw UK do this a lot. Is that what Dickie wants to do in the future?
And yet Again this year all private schools in the final 4 with Mercy again in the championship game.

I really wish the khsaa would make the privates compete in their own state championship. The public schools can't compete with all these privates who go all over the country playing in volleyball tournaments every season.
Mercy vs Sacred Heart in the finals
The success of these teams has nothing to do with them travelling and playing other teams. Their success is directly related to the quality of their coaches.
A combination of both help.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:And yet Again this year all private schools in the final 4 with Mercy again in the championship game.

I really wish the khsaa would make the privates compete in their own state championship. The public schools can't compete with all these privates who go all over the country playing in volleyball tournaments every season.

You are absolutely right!

Private schools in Central and Northern Kentucky are NOT like the private schools here in Eastern Kentucky (Piarist). They have dormitories, students from all over the US are enrolled, and they start athletic programs, such as volleyball, in the primary grades (1st grade). Volleyball programs at Mercy, Sacred Heart, Assumption, Newport Catholic, etc. have no comparable programs here in Eastern Kentucky. Those high schools (private academies) could play at the small college level and win (Assumption #6 in the nation) - that's a fact of life and there isn't much we can do to change it. Let's face it, the state tournament for Eastern Kentucky teams is our regional tournaments.

We have Eastern Kentucky girls who can play and are playing at the college level (NAIA). Players in Eastern Kentucky cannot sit back and wait to be discovered. Information about them needs to be 'put out there' for college coaches to see, such as stats, game records, pictures, videos, and forums (such as Bluegrass Rivals). High School Coaches obviously have to help the players do this. They have to get their foot in the door. Basically, the players and teams have to say LOOK AT ME!
Serving Aces Wrote:The success of these teams has nothing to do with them travelling and playing other teams. Their success is directly related to the quality of their coaches.
I disagree with you and i'm sure i'm not the only one. You must be one of those schools supporters.
My daughter goes to a county high shool and does club ball in the off season.
Serving Aces Wrote:My daughter goes to a county high shool and does club ball in the off season.
A few players from Russell play club ball as well. But it still doesn't change the fact the privates draw the best from all over. If the ones who go to those private schools went to the public school in their area like most people then those privates wouldn't do nothing at state.
The one the Russell girls play in is out of Huntington,WV.
Do kids go to private schools because they have a "volleyball" gene in their family tree which inherently makes them better players than county school kids? No! They go to the private school first and foremost because of an education. The talent of players in the county school system is the same as the private schools since ALL kids are born in some county somewhere. It is the level of the coaches that makes the difference.
Serving Aces Wrote:Do kids go to private schools because they have a "volleyball" gene in their family tree which inherently makes them better players than county school kids? No! They go to the private school first and foremost because of an education. The talent of players in the county school system is the same as the private schools since ALL kids are born in some county somewhere. It is the level of the coaches that makes the difference.
That is pure garbage about it being the level of coaches And we will have to Disagree and keep it at that its all about the talent level at those private schools. The coaches might be good but they are not almighty its all about the talent level they have to work with.

You could take Mercys coach and put them on one of the programs like Greenup County for instance and they would still get hammered by Russell year in year out.
Serving Aces Wrote:Do kids go to private schools because they have a "volleyball" gene in their family tree which inherently makes them better players than county school kids? No! They go to the private school first and foremost because of an education. The talent of players in the county school system is the same as the private schools since ALL kids are born in some county somewhere. It is the level of the coaches that makes the difference.

Most private schools that are successful in sports are located in large metropolitan areas and near multiple states. Sacred Heart, Assumption, and Mercy are able to pull players from the Louisville metropolitan area as well as Indiana. You are right that they do have good volleyball coaches but they are not getting these players from scratch and making them into top quality players. They are already getting a good work in progress. These players play club volleyball year around, something most rural county kids do not have available. These coaches are allowed to recruit from any elementary/middle school in Louisville, therefore they have the pick of the litter. These schools have 800 to 900 girls while most schools do not have this many students total. In private girls schools the focus is solely on the girls so they are going to have the best coaches, all the money spent on them, and all the attention. Not counting that most of the parents are upper middle class and wealthy and have the money to support the travel of their team and send their children to the best camps across the country. County schools in most of the state has less resources, poorer parents, and the school systems cater to the male athletic programs. I do believe that most of these young ladies that attend the private academies were already good volleyball players at a young age and choose these schools for their volleyball programs. The quality of competition these girls play day in and day out does make a difference. If it didn't why would they spend all that money traveling throughout the country playing in the best tournaments.
There is no doubt in any of our minds here who have kids on our high school team that IF we had Mercy's coach instead of our current loser coach, we would be a regional contender. Adios coach.
Serving Aces Wrote:There is no doubt in any of our minds here who have kids on our high school team that IF we had Mercy's coach instead of our current loser coach, we would be a regional contender. Adios coach.
We don't need Mercys coach to be a regional contender we win the region almost every year with our current coach and even made the elite 8 a couple times.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Most private schools that are successful in sports are located in large metropolitan areas and near multiple states. Sacred Heart, Assumption, and Mercy are able to pull players from the Louisville metropolitan area as well as Indiana. You are right that they do have good volleyball coaches but they are not getting these players from scratch and making them into top quality players. They are already getting a good work in progress. These players play club volleyball year around, something most rural county kids do not have available. These coaches are allowed to recruit from any elementary/middle school in Louisville, therefore they have the pick of the litter. These schools have 800 to 900 girls while most schools do not have this many students total. In private girls schools the focus is solely on the girls so they are going to have the best coaches, all the money spent on them, and all the attention. Not counting that most of the parents are upper middle class and wealthy and have the money to support the travel of their team and send their children to the best camps across the country. County schools in most of the state has less resources, poorer parents, and the school systems cater to the male athletic programs. I do believe that most of these young ladies that attend the private academies were already good volleyball players at a young age and choose these schools for their volleyball programs. The quality of competition these girls play day in and day out does make a difference. If it didn't why would they spend all that money traveling throughout the country playing in the best tournaments.
Well said:worthy:
Pages: 1 2 3