Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ladies Volleyball State Tournament
With a few exceptions, it has been an all girls school final for 30 years. I think it will be many years before a public school will win a state title in volleyball but I am against separating them. To be the best you have to beat the best. Private schools especially all girl schools dominate most of what people consider minor and non-revenue sports.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:With a few exceptions, it has been an all girls school final for 30 years. I think it will be many years before a public school will win a state title in volleyball but I am against separating them. To be the best you have to beat the best. Private schools especially all girl schools dominate most of what people consider minor and non-revenue sports.

Thats true to a point but when no one but privates win every year since volleyball has been in exsistance something needs a change. I would say most schools leaders would be for the public private championship split.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Hey cougarpride08 not to be mean or anything but Russell has 2 ls at the end. Just gets a little annoying when people misspell it and its not just you so don't think i'm just calling you out I see it to often. It would be like people spelling Belfrey like that instead of Belfry which I've seen before as well.

Sorry about that, will try to pay more attention. I wish the spell checkers would have the high schools in it so we can make sure we are getting it right.
I really don't know what the KHSAA problem is. It is like seeing the Lakers in the finals every single year. I wish they would do something to make it more interesting. I thought about sectionals, but people seems to not like that idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Thats true to a point but when no one but privates win every year since volleyball has been in exsistance something needs a change. I would say most schools leaders would be for the public private championship split.

If Mercy, Lexington Catholic, Assumptions, and Sacred Heart was to be in there own tournament, it would be hard to see who would win every year. What kind of tournament are we looking at to make it to these tournaments? What about the district and region, would it change? If we need to make a thread to keep it on topic that would be fine also. I just think it we all came up with ideas, someone might see it, and maybe present it to the board of control, and the rest of the KHSAA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The problem is will you have a snowball effect. First we divide into public and private. Then we go for twenty years and the only schools that win the public state title is Lexington and Louisville schools. Do we then go to classes. Then after that, do we go to classes in basketball. If you ever go to classes in Kentucky in basketball you will destroy the state tournament. Ask people from Indiana, all the pride and mystique is gone since they divided into classes. Leave the classes or divisions to Football, Track, and Cross Country. Maybe the KHSAA needs to provide more coaching clinics and camps to help schools develop their programs. Competition makes teams better. If we had more teams in Eastern Kentucky that could play it would make the other teams better. Half the teams in the 14th region have trouble returning an average serve much less setting and spiking the ball. Instead of challenging the KHSAA to get rid of private schools because they are too good, lets challenge the schools in Eastern Kentucky to improve their programs instead of sitting on their rear ends and doing nothing. To me it would be easier for a smaller school to develop a competitive volleyball program then a basketball program. Look at Allen Central and South Floyd, their basketball teams are weak but they have been playing good volleyball. Belfry's volleyball team is good and their basketball team was bad last year. Piarist is not good enough to win the 15th region but they are able to field a volleyball team that is capable of beating many teams in this area on any given night.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:The problem is will you have a snowball effect. First we divide into public and private. Then we go for twenty years and the only schools that win the public state title is Lexington and Louisville schools. Do we then go to classes. Then after that, do we go to classes in basketball. If you ever go to classes in Kentucky in basketball you will destroy the state tournament. Ask people from Indiana, all the pride and mystique is gone since they divided into classes. Leave the classes or divisions to Football, Track, and Cross Country. Maybe the KHSAA needs to provide more coaching clinics and camps to help schools develop their programs. Competition makes teams better. If we had more teams in Eastern Kentucky that could play it would make the other teams better. Half the teams in the 14th region have trouble returning an average serve much less setting and spiking the ball. Instead of challenging the KHSAA to get rid of private schools because they are too good, lets challenge the schools in Eastern Kentucky to improve their programs instead of sitting on their rear ends and doing nothing. To me it would be easier for a smaller school to develop a competitive volleyball program then a basketball program. Look at Allen Central and South Floyd, their basketball teams are weak but they have been playing good volleyball. Belfry's volleyball team is good and their basketball team was bad last year. Piarist is not good enough to win the 15th region but they are able to field a volleyball team that is capable of beating many teams in this area on any given night.

Nice post...individual volleyball skills have really improved over the last 7-8 years in EKY...with the exception of a few schools, team play hasn't. We still play a "slow" game compared to the golden triangle. The top programs in EKY don't have the opportunity to play faster paced teams without traveling to that area for tournaments. The schools mentioned above also have good coaches...add Betsy Layne, Letcher (old school when Betty coached) and the current LCC.
Tin Cup Wrote:Nice post...individual volleyball skills have really improved over the last 7-8 years in EKY...with the exception of a few schools, team play hasn't. We still play a "slow" game compared to the golden triangle. The top programs in EKY don't have the opportunity to play faster paced teams without traveling to that area for tournaments. The schools mentioned above also have good coaches...add Betsy Layne, Letcher (old school when Betty coached) and the current LCC.

You are exactly right. I was just pointing out the fact that it would be easier for some of the smaller schools to develop a good volleyball program. Betsy Layne and Letcher Central have top notch basketball programs also. Letcher Central's volleyball coach and basketball coach is the same person.
I still don't see how he does it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

:Thumbs:

Congratulations to the Eastern Kentucky Girls that made the All State Teams.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (November 4, 2009) – The Kentucky Volleyball Coaches Association announced its 2009 All-State Teams and Miss Kentucky Volleyball today.
Deja McClendon of DuPont Manual High School in Louisville was named 2009 Miss Kentucky Volleyball. McClendon, an outside hitter, has committed to play for Penn State University and legendary coach Russ Rose beginning next fall.
McClendon and Caitlin Welch of Mercy are appearing on their second KVCA First-Team All-State. Sacred Heart’s Emily Juhl is appearing on the First-Team for the third time.

KVCA All-State Teams are voted on by KVCA member coaches.

2009 KVCA All-State Teams

2009 Miss Kentucky Volleyball: Deja McClendon, DuPont Manual High School

2009 KVCA First-Team All-State

Kelsey Dunaway, Sacred Heart
Madison Hardy, Mercy
Maddie Hatcher, Paul Laurence Dunbar
Jeni Houser, Assumption
Emily Juhl, Sacred Heart
Jackie Napper, Assumption
Lauren O’Connor, Scott
Leslie Schellhaas, Notre Dame
Alexis Smith, Holy Cross (Louisville)
Courtney Smith, Greenwood
Catlin Welch, Mercy
Jamie Wulfeck, Notre Dame

2009 KVCA Second-Team All-State

Liz Barton, Notre Dame
Catlin Dotson, Sacred Heart
Cayla Flood, St Henry
Erin Fortner, St. Henry
Lindsey Hazelwood, Holy Cross (Louisville)
Kelsey Jones, Allen Central
Jayden Julian, Holy Cross (Covington)
Kelly Moyer, Oldham County
Natalie Penrod, Campbell County
Mikayla Reese, Henry Clay
Courtney Robinson, Assumption
Desirre Wilkerson, DuPont Manual

2009 KVCA Honorable Mention All-State

Meghan Bowers, Presentation
Felicity Britt, Bishop Brossart
Kelly Cole, Paul Laurence Dunbar
Sierra Crum, Ashland Blazer
Jewell Dobson, Mercy
Holly Gallagher, Butler
Claire Gerwig, Assumption
Victoria Halcomb, Letcher County Central
Amy McCoy, Belfry
Cari McMullen, Community Christian
Kes Moore, Piarist
Kimberly Phelps, Pulaski County
Kelly Roberts, Southwestern
Katelyn Skeleton, Ryle
Lauren Tibbs, Scott
Sarah Ulinski, DuPont Manual
Chelsea Votz, North Oldham

:Clap:
Congrats Miss Halcomb of Letcher Central. Is she a senior?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Is any of these girls going to play v-ball for UK?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

No East Kentucky girls, O'Connor (6' 4") from Scott has already signed letter of intent.
Victoria is a Senior.
who is looking at her for college?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

There has been some small colleges and there is one out of Tennessee. I do not know if she is interested in playing volleyball in college.
If it pays for it, why not?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Most small schools doesn't pay all and they usually are expensive. Many of these kids playing sports at small schools and especially minor sports are paying partial tuition.
That's why it is important they keep up with their studies. Since some smaller schools may not have any volleyball scholarships, they could offer them an academic scholarship if they have good enough grades and play volleyball. The academic scholarship would pay their way. Study, study, study!
Zippidydoodah Wrote:That's why it is important they keep up with their studies. Since some smaller schools may not have any volleyball scholarships, they could offer them an academic scholarship if they have good enough grades and play volleyball. The academic scholarship would pay their way. Study, study, study!

:Thumbs: That is it! You said exactly what these kids wanted to say.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Eastern Kentucky girls can play the golden triangle ball if they had decent coaches.
What is that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

NKY...Louisville...Lexington

They dominate the sport and all-state teams. One or two girls each year from outside of the triangle on 1st & 2nd team. Greenwood and Owensboro Cath have girls represented most years.
Serving Aces Wrote:Eastern Kentucky girls can play the golden triangle ball if they had decent coaches.
:ChairHit:
I thought that was some sort of offense. I understand now. I am still confused as to what it is called as far as offense when you set a decoy hitter, and that decoy jumps, but instead it is sent to a alternate hitter. They call it something, but don't know what it is called.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:I thought that was some sort of offense. I understand now. I am still confused as to what it is called as far as offense when you set a decoy hitter, and that decoy jumps, but instead it is sent to a alternate hitter. They call it something, but don't know what it is called.

It isn't necessarily a "ghost" or "fake" hitter, it is a quick hitter. Teams can use a right side, middle, and outside hitter. The middle can be a quick hitter on a set or can approach for the quick hit but the set is going out to the outside or right side as the middle crosses. In other words, the setting options increase and the opportunities to create different play options and combinations are endless. Quick hitting is used to baffle blockers, hitters can time their attack paths in combination plays, and it confuses the defense because of deceptiveness.
[quote=Joe Friday]It isn't necessarily a "ghost" or "fake" hitter, it is a quick hitter. Teams can use a right side, middle, and outside hitter. The middle can be a quick hitter on a set or can approach for the quick hit but the set is going out to the outside or right side as the middle crosses. In other words, the setting options increase and the opportunities to create different play options and combinations are endless. Quick hitting is used to baffle blockers, hitters can time their attack paths in combination plays, and it confuses the defense because of deceptiveness.[/QUOTE

Nice post...creates single blocking with fakes or one on one attacks.
I know Kentucky's volleyball team does this better than anyone I have ever seen as far as misdirection.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!