Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southeast Volleyball Showcase.
Cheer up about what dude? You must be one of those incompetent coaches.
Serving Aces Wrote:Cheer up about what dude? You must be one of those incompetent coaches.

No, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ? :BigLaugh:
The Southeast Kentucky All-Star Showcase will be on Sunday, November 22, 2009 beginning at 12 noon at Perry County Central's Volleyball Court. The coaches have sent in their nominations and now the ballots will be sent to the coaches to vote for 9 players on the senior ballot and 9 players on the junior ballot. The 9 players from the senior list and 9 players from the junior list with the most votes will be the all-stars from each region and compete against the top nine seniors and juniors from the 13th, 14th, and 15th regions. Will post more information as it becomes available.
Thanks Joe Friday, can't wait to see who all from LCC got in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Serving Aces Wrote:The way the players get on these teams makes this showcase program a joke. The coaches will control who gets on it, they will do a poor and crooked job of it. We need to let the players vote on whether to keep their coach for next year or not. That would wake up school officials wouldn't it? New coaches are what are needed to keep our mountain regions from getting their collective butts kicked every year in the state tournament. Players here have just as much talent across the board as anywhere else, it is the coaches who lack the talent. This program will showcase how lacking they truly are.

I'm not going to say that there are not coaches that should not be coaching or could not improve, but the coaching is not what is holding back volleyball in the mountains. In the mountains, most of your better female athletes play three sports. They go from one sport to the next and do not have time to focus on one sport and dedicate themselves to one sport. In western KY and northern KY, high school volleyball is a warm-up for club volleyball. They play volleyball year-round. Club volleyball is where they know they will get looked at by colleges. IMO this is the biggest difference in mountain volleyball and the rest of the state.
Any time these kids get a chance to play extra volleyball it is a plus. With basketball now going on, it is hard. Most girls if they want to be better volleyball players, and not participating in basketball, they need to be doing conditioning somehow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Serving Aces Wrote:Well, it's just like I predicted. Mountain teams get their collective butts kicked again in the big tournament.

This showcase program will showcase what pathetic coaches our teams have since they will pick their pets and favorites to be on these teams and they will get their butts kicked too.

I certainly hope this is not the case. But often times it is. The players that should be there are crystal clear for the most part. How many are allowed on the roster i wonder.
when will the teams be posted and where?
The private schools have won the championship 30 years in a row. The constant factor is ................................................. coaches. The mountains have poor coaches. Bring Mercy's coach down here and any team will improve.
Most of the coaches in the mountains are poor but you shouldn't generalize all coaches. Coach Adams, Coach Maynard and in the past, Coach Mounts have worked hard in their programs. Bring a private school coach to a mountain school and they will improve but winning state will be a lot harder. When you coach at a school that has 600 to 800 girls in it. You have a lot to choose from. When you can choose the best volleyball players from an area that covers two states, several counties, and close to a million people, it helps continue the success of a winning program. You are right it is about politics sometimes. Last year, Perry Central won everyone award and got more recognition locally and they couldn't shine Letcher Central's shoes. I am sorry to offend, but if you rightfully have an appropriate all-star team in the 14th region, most of the players should be from Letcher Central with some being from other schools.
I understand that the players that are on the teams and getting awards in the 15th Region were going to be notified this week, Monday or Tuesday. I also understand that the first practice will be at Allen Central High School Saturday, November 14.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Most of the coaches in the mountains are poor but you shouldn't generalize all coaches. Coach Adams, Coach Maynard and in the past, Coach Mounts have worked hard in their programs. Bring a private school coach to a mountain school and they will improve but winning state will be a lot harder. When you coach at a school that has 600 to 800 girls in it. You have a lot to choose from. When you can choose the best volleyball players from an area that covers two states, several counties, and close to a million people, it helps continue the success of a winning program. You are right it is about politics sometimes. Last year, Perry Central won everyone award and got more recognition locally and they couldn't shine Letcher Central's shoes. I am sorry to offend, but if you rightfully have an appropriate all-star team in the 14th region, most of the players should be from Letcher Central with some being from other schools.

Speaking of Perry Central...have they started playing volleyball at the high school yet? I know for a long time they had to play next to the old MC Napier school...I always heard someone wouldn't let them put a court on the court???
Tin Cup Wrote:Speaking of Perry Central...have they started playing volleyball at the high school yet? I know for a long time they had to play next to the old MC Napier school...I always heard someone wouldn't let them put a court on the court???

They still play in Sherman Neace Athletic Center. My understanding is they didn't make the gym floor compatible to volleyball when they built it.
Who is going to start for the team?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Serving Aces Wrote:The private schools have won the championship 30 years in a row. The constant factor is ................................................. coaches. The mountains have poor coaches. Bring Mercy's coach down here and any team will improve.

yea, i would say its the degree of seriousness of the coaches in other parts of the state have also. But in their defense, you see middle blockers and outside hitters here being 5'6 to 5''10. Out west and up north they are consistently 5'10 to 6'2 and can actually play, not just big popsickle sticks. Must be something in the water....
6'2 girls with a huge vertical.
Is there a completed list of nominees yet for the 2 teams? If so, who has been nominated? Is there 2 or 3 teams?
Yes, could someone please post it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Does Larry just take his Allen Central this is what I heard
Allen Central Team
old11 Wrote:Does Larry just take his Allen Central this is what I heard

This is a very cynical post.

Let's get some things straight. All coaches in the 15th Region were asked to nominate their top 3 seniors and top 3 juniors from their own teams, you know, like the seniors or juniors who had the best stats during the season and post-season. The head coaches from each team in the region were also asked to nominate their top players with their stats, regardless of class, that could make the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams all Southeast Kentucky; in other words, these did not have to be juniors or seniors and did not have to play on the Junior or Senior All-Star Teams. If they were one-and -the-same, then that was alright too.

The top juniors and seniors were listed on a ballot and sent to every coach who participated in choosing the top 9 seniors and the top 9 juniors. Those ballots were forwarded to a selection committee. The selection committee compiled the top vote getters and mailed a letter to all those selected to play in the showcase. If Allen Central players are on the teams , it is because the coaches who voted or opted to participate voted them on. Same for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Teams All-Southeast Kentucky. They were listed on the ballot and the coaches chose the #1 through #9 - the top vote getters will be on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Team All-Southeast kentucky. They were also asked to nominate someone that they believed should be in the Southeast Kentucky Hall of Fame and the coaches also voted on those nominees.

Now, if there is someone that is not on the team that you feel should be, it is because their coach did not nominate them.

Any questions, old11 ?
Joe Friday Wrote:This is a very cynical post.

Let's get some things straight. All coaches in the 15th Region were asked to nominate their top 3 seniors and top 3 juniors from their own teams, you know, like the seniors or juniors who had the best stats during the season and post-season. The head coaches from each team in the region were also asked to nominate their top players with their stats, regardless of class, that could make the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams all Southeast Kentucky; in other words, these did not have to be juniors or seniors and did not have to play on the Junior or Senior All-Star Teams. If they were one-and -the-same, then that was alright too.

The top juniors and seniors were listed on a ballot and sent to every coach who participated in choosing the top 9 seniors and the top 9 juniors. Those ballots were forwarded to a selection committee. The selection committee compiled the top vote getters and mailed a letter to all those selected to play in the showcase. If Allen Central players are on the teams , it is because the coaches who voted or opted to participate voted them on. Same for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Teams All-Southeast Kentucky. They were listed on the ballot and the coaches chose the #1 through #9 - the top vote getters will be on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Team All-Southeast kentucky. They were also asked to nominate someone that they believed should be in the Southeast Kentucky Hall of Fame and the coaches also voted on those nominees.

Now, if there is someone that is not on the team that you feel should be, it is because their coach did not nominate them.

Any questions, old11 ?
I was NOT talking about one or two girls getting on the team. This was something that I heard..... no one esle but Allen Central players was on the team one year not this year but some years back I was just WONDERING if that was the case this year. And I don't know if this is even true I was just asking.Sorry if I said anything wrong was just wondering
Has the teams been picked yet? And who got picked? When will this be played and where at?
Do all the schools have complete stats on individual players? I never see them on max prep except for a couple of schools in the Region. If stats are used as a guide, then some deserving players will be excluded because of the omission.
old11 Wrote:I was NOT talking about one or two girls getting on the team. This was something that I heard..... no one esle but Allen Central players was on the team one year not this year but some years back I was just WONDERING if that was the case this year. And I don't know if this is even true I was just asking.Sorry if I said anything wrong was just wondering

1. If each coach is only permitted to nominate 3 of their own players for the team - how could Allen Central have the only players on the team !?

2. This is only the second time Allen Central has had the opporunity to participate in the showcase.

3. Some coaches do not even participate in the process. If a coach does not nominate his/her players they cannot be considered or voted upon.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Has the teams been pick yet.
old11 Wrote:Thanks for clearing that up for me. Has the teams been pick yet.

You are most welcome. I understand the selected players will receive a letter from the committee this week.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:Do all the schools have complete stats on individual players? I never see them on max prep except for a couple of schools in the Region. If stats are used as a guide, then some deserving players will be excluded because of the omission.

I cannot really answer whether coaches have stats or not. They should is all I can say.

As for Max Preps, every school in the state is on Max Preps and it is a great way for the girls in this area to get recognition. It is AVCA/KVCA endorsed and the stats are used to select Players of the Year from each area. Coaches have to make an effort to enter their stats on Max Preps; of course that means they have to make an effort and keeo stats within the guidelines of volleyball stats and understand how to keep them. Also, the selection committees are looking at the difficulty of a team's schedule.

As for the 15th Region All-Stars, it did not matter whether or not stats were sent. Those that had stats sent them in; however if a coach nominated a player, her name was put on the ballot for the other coaches to vote on. There again, coaches had to nominate their players. A lot of coaches lose interest when their post season is over and don't think any more about it and even though they received the request to nominate may not have bothered. I am not sure which schools nominated players and which did not but I believe some All-District Tourney Players in the 15th Region and even some 15th All-Region Tourney Players were left out because they were not nominated.
Joe Friday Wrote:I cannot really answer whether coaches have stats or not. They should is all I can say.

As for Max Preps, every school in the state is on Max Preps and it is a great way for the girls in this area to get recognition. It is AVCA/KVCA endorsed and the stats are used to select Players of the Year from each area. Coaches have to make an effort to enter their stats on Max Preps; of course that means they have to make an effort and keeo stats within the guidelines of volleyball stats and understand how to keep them. Also, the selection committees are looking at the difficulty of a team's schedule.

As for the 15th Region All-Stars, it did not matter whether or not stats were sent. Those that had stats sent them in; however if a coach nominated a player, her name was put on the ballot for the other coaches to vote on. There again, coaches had to nominate their players. A lot of coaches lose interest when their post season is over and don't think any more about it and even though they received the request to nominate may not have bothered. I am not sure which schools nominated players and which did not but I believe some All-District Tourney Players in the 15th Region and even some 15th All-Region Tourney Players were left out because they were not nominated.

I find this most saddening to think a coach would not nominate his/her players. For goodness sake, it's just a nomination! These athletes have given up their free time to their coach and team and should at least get the recognition from their own coach thru a nomination. I think it should be required they keep stats on these players. How difficult can it be? Uh, let's see, 1 + 1 = 2. After all, these stats are like grades, they belong to the players. I think all coaches who have not nominated any players show a lack of support and respect to their players and should have to account for failing to nominate. Considering some of the lack of responses from the coaches, I feel ALL All Region Tourney Players should be included on the list of nominees regardless of whether their lazy (aka disinterested) coaches nominated them or not. These players have already been considered worthy; they should not have been left off the list.
BumpSetSpike Wrote:I find this most saddening to think a coach would not nominate his/her players. For goodness sake, it's just a nomination! These athletes have given up their free time to their coach and team and should at least get the recognition from their own coach thru a nomination. I think it should be required they keep stats on these players. How difficult can it be? Uh, let's see, 1 + 1 = 2. After all, these stats are like grades, they belong to the players. I think all coaches who have not nominated any players show a lack of support and respect to their players and should have to account for failing to nominate. Considering some of the lack of responses from the coaches, I feel ALL All Region Tourney Players should be included on the list of nominees regardless of whether their lazy (aka disinterested) coaches nominated them or not. These players have already been considered worthy; they should not have been left off the list.

There is a process in place in which the coaches are responsible for the nomination of players. No one else can or should be held responsible for his/her team. I suggest in future the players hold their respective coach's feet to the fire !