Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16th Region Boys Tournament
cougarpride08 Wrote:Middle school soccer!

Well the middle school district for Corbin includes South Laurel, Whitley Co, North Laurel, Scince Hill, Northern Pulaski, Southwestern, Miece (Somerset). Corbin won the district last year against Miece. South lost to Corbin in the second round to Corbin and it was the first loss in 2 years for the SL team. The year before SL beat Miece in the finals. Both South and Corbin have had really good Middle School teams. I wish they played bigger teams to get ready for the challenges of state competions, but that is middle school sports. They are in a good district, just not a great one. Corbin rarely plays freshmen on the Varsity team they mainly play JV.
Da_truf Wrote:What do you mean?
South was up at the half 1-0 . But ,again, beautiful game. South looks tough. Perry came to play!
South 1 Perry 0 Another awesome game !!! Both teams are to be applauded !!!:Clap:
soccerlover Wrote:South was up at the half 1-0 . But ,again, beautiful game. South looks tough. Perry came to play!

That is the final score. It was my understanding that some players were bad sports toward the end of the game and tried to take out SL players. I wasn't there, but that is what was relayed to me.
South Laurel v. Corbin in the final! (I got one right! LOL) This should be a good game. all 3 games this year have been good to watch.
I just love good soccer!
Sounds like some great games, wish i could of made it.
Congratulations to Pikeville on a great season.:Thumbs: I'm sure that had to be a heartbreaking loss last night. Good luck to Corbin tonight in the finals, might as well make it 3 Regional Championships in a row.
Da_truf Wrote:Well the middle school district for Corbin includes South Laurel, Whitley Co, North Laurel, Scince Hill, Northern Pulaski, Southwestern, Miece (Somerset). Corbin won the district last year against Miece. South lost to Corbin in the second round to Corbin and it was the first loss in 2 years for the SL team. The year before SL beat Miece in the finals. Both South and Corbin have had really good Middle School teams. I wish they played bigger teams to get ready for the challenges of state competions, but that is middle school sports. They are in a good district, just not a great one. Corbin rarely plays freshmen on the Varsity team they mainly play JV.

Corbin has pretty much only played juniors and seniors the last couple of years on the varsity. They dress a couple of sophomores and a couple of freshman this year, but they rarely play. Next year they will have to start some sophs. The last freshman to start for Corbin would have been one of last year's seniors.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Congratulations to Pikeville on a great season.:Thumbs: I'm sure that had to be a heartbreaking loss last night. Good luck to Corbin tonight in the finals, might as well make it 3 Regional Championships in a row.

They have had 3 really good games this year with South and this one will be no different. But, I say South 4 Corbin 3. Either way out region will have a good team in the state tourney. We may not win it, but we will represent out district, region and area with pride! :1:
I am very impressed with the team over in this area they represented the Pikeville, Johnson, Letcher and Perry areas very nicely this year...Hope to see a good game tonight...Sucks though that SL and Corbin have to drive 3 hrs for a regional championship game when they could drive like 10-15 minutes lol
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I am very impressed with the team over in this area they represented the Pikeville, Johnson, Letcher and Perry areas very nicely this year...Hope to see a good game tonight...Sucks though that SL and Corbin have to drive 3 hrs for a regional championship game when they could drive like 10-15 minutes lol

LOL. I do understand this from the host schools prespective, not only will the South and Corbin fans be there but some of the local players will come to watch the finals. I agree. It should be a good game and the Pikeville area should flock to see the two best teams in the region go head to head. On the Teams side they shouldn't have to go that far.
Da_truf Wrote:LOL. I do understand this from the host schools prespective, not only will the South and Corbin fans be there but some of the local players will come to watch the finals. I agree. It should be a good game and the Pikeville area should flock to see the two best teams in the region go head to head. On the Teams side they shouldn't have to go that far.

im getting ready to head that way hope to see a good one good luck to both programs and congrats on making it to the finals
South Laurel won in a shoot out! 4-3! Congrats to both teams! :1:
Congrats to South and great effort by Corbin WHAT A GAME
Da_truf Wrote:South Laurel won in a shoot out! 4-3! Congrats to both teams! :1:

That was the shoot out results not the final score. The final score according to KHSAA was 3-2. Great job both teams.
A really good game which unfortunately had to be decided by a shootout. Going into the shootout I did not like Corbin's chances as they looked very disappointed and South Laurel looked relieved. Corbin pretty much was in control much of the game and kept possession of the ball about 65% of the time, but Corbin missed way too many good chances to score and to South Laurel credit, they converted theirs.

Congratulations to South Laurel on the win and good luck against Danville. I'm afraid that South will have a very difficult time in that game due to their style of play, just can't see that working against a really strong defensive team.
SEKYFAN Wrote:A really good game which unfortunately had to be decided by a shootout. Going into the shootout I did not like Corbin's chances as they looked very disappointed and South Laurel looked relieved. Corbin pretty much was in control much of the game and kept possession of the ball about 65% of the time, but Corbin missed way too many good chances to score and to South Laurel credit, they converted theirs.

Congratulations to South Laurel on the win and good luck against Danville. I'm afraid that South will have a very difficult time in that game due to their style of play, just can't see that working against a really strong defensive team.

I think you may be right. I hope not but, I do agree. Danville is a tough team and will be really hard to beat. I hope that South goes in and pulls off the upset tough!
Da_truf Wrote:I think you may be right. I hope not but, I do agree. Danville is a tough team and will be really hard to beat. I hope that South goes in and pulls off the upset tough!

South will really have to shore up some areas defensively to have any shot at Danville. They gave up too many scoring opportunities to Corbin last night that Danville will finish.

Did you see the game? I wondered what happened on South's first goal as it looked like the Corbin defender just pulled up and stopped playing as the South player dribbled along the endline, but according to the Corbin defender and GK the ball went well over the endline and they thought the play was dead. Even if it did, which I have no idea if it did or didn't, they should have never relaxed until the play was dead.
SEKYFAN Wrote:South will really have to shore up some areas defensively to have any shot at Danville. They gave up too many scoring opportunities to Corbin last night that Danville will finish.

Did you see the game? I wondered what happened on South's first goal as it looked like the Corbin defender just pulled up and stopped playing as the South player dribbled along the endline, but according to the Corbin defender and GK the ball went well over the endline and they thought the play was dead. Even if it did, which I have no idea if it did or didn't, they should have never relaxed until the play was dead.

That is similar to the second Corbin goal when number 11 for corbin clearly shoved a SL player to gain possesion of the ball and the AR waived his flag but once the Corbin player began carrying the ball on down the line he dropped his flag and maintained the run with the last defender and number 11...It made it look like advantage was called but the ref whom I know stated that the foul was on Corbin but the Head Ref never acknlowdged the statement and as an AR you must conitnue with the play and then come back to the foul on the change of possesion which the AR did not do...This was a great game with alot of twists and turns in momentum. Kudos to both programs
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:That is similar to the second Corbin goal when number 11 for corbin clearly shoved a SL player to gain possesion of the ball and the AR waived his flag but once the Corbin player began carrying the ball on down the line he dropped his flag and maintained the run with the last defender and number 11...It made it look like advantage was called but the ref whom I know stated that the foul was on Corbin but the Head Ref never acknlowdged the statement and as an AR you must conitnue with the play and then come back to the foul on the change of possesion which the AR did not do...This was a great game with alot of twists and turns in momentum. Kudos to both programs

I thought the foul on that play was on the South player myself (it looked like #11 may have pushed off after he was fouled) and that the play on was the right call. I thought the refs did a good job, obviously both sides saw some things differently, but they called it even and that's all you can really ask for. I did have a couple of questions that maybe you could help me with.
1. The SL keeper obviously extends the ball past the line of the 18 yard box most of the time when he punts, is it not illegal handling of the ball if he is touching it when the ball breaks the plane of the line?
2. Was there a card given when #4 ran over the GK when he had possession of the ball?
The gk cannot step on or outside the "yellow" box. The ball can but the goalie cannot. Unlike the out of bounds line the keeper or player can be out of bounds but the balls cannot go out of the line. It is difficult to understand everything about soccer.
Just another tid bit of information south laurel's goalie has been the #1 goalie in the state for whole season until last week. And sl has had the #1 top scorer and assist player in the state until last week. So i think honor should be given where honor is due.
And to address the issue of the corbin gk and sl's #4 colliding at the same time and the gk did not have possession of the ball. It was just an incidental collision. And corbin gk got up fine as could be until corbin's coach told him to lay back down and then the gk began to roll and moan. As soon the sl player, who by the way was already injured from previous games and was actually hurt, got up; then miraculously the corbin gk "rose" to the his feet bouncing and fine. It was heard by a very reliable source that corbin's coach was instructing his players to "flop" everytime a sl player touched them. While sl players were on their knees praying!!!
Hats off to corbin for their greatest "performance" of the year!!
Just another note to the "sportsmanship" of corbin, yelling rude comments at the sl players and making "hand" gestures at the sl players while in route to the game was uncalled for. The corbin fans are out of control. Yeah the sl fans were tired of it and gave it back to the corbin fans.
For all of the corbin fans, just in case you have not heard the new advertisement from the khsaa on the radio you should really listen to it. This is a game and the parents should stick to cheering their kids on in a good sportsmanship manner. What kind of example are you sending to your children????
And to the female corbin fan that shouted "give it up south laurel" should realize by now that south laurel never gives up!!
Way to go south laurel!! Good luck at danville!!
The corbin high school coach is the coach of both the middle school and high school!! He starts them in middle school with excellent acting classes on how to fake a foul by doing a "flop" or "dive".

The corbin players also did some "hand gestures" to the sl players on their way to the final regional game thursday night. This is something that the parents of the corbin players should teach their children better manners and to be better sports. That may be why they lost to sl when it really counted. Hats off to pikeville. Great game. They need not hang their heads low they played a very tough game.

The sideline ref did raise his flag and the foul was on corbin's #11, but like you said the field ref did not acknowledge the flag and the play should have been null and void. As far as the advantage rule the ref's were not going by the advantage rule the whole game only when it came to corbin getting the advantage. South laurel was pushed and fouled probably more than corbin, due to the fact that corbin did a great acting job on "flops".
THEWHOLETRUTH Wrote:The gk cannot step on or outside the "yellow" box. The ball can but the goalie cannot. Unlike the out of bounds line the keeper or player can be out of bounds but the balls cannot go out of the line. It is difficult to understand everything about soccer.
Just another tid bit of information south laurel's goalie has been the #1 goalie in the state for whole season until last week. And sl has had the #1 top scorer and assist player in the state until last week. So i think honor should be given where honor is due.
And to address the issue of the corbin gk and sl's #4 colliding at the same time and the gk did not have possession of the ball. It was just an incidental collision. And corbin gk got up fine as could be until corbin's coach told him to lay back down and then the gk began to roll and moan. As soon the sl player, who by the way was already injured from previous games and was actually hurt, got up; then miraculously the corbin gk "rose" to the his feet bouncing and fine. It was heard by a very reliable source that corbin's coach was instructing his players to "flop" everytime a sl player touched them. While sl players were on their knees praying!!!
Hats off to corbin for their greatest "performance" of the year!!
Just another note to the "sportsmanship" of corbin, yelling rude comments at the sl players and making "hand" gestures at the sl players while in route to the game was uncalled for. The corbin fans are out of control. Yeah the sl fans were tired of it and gave it back to the corbin fans.
For all of the corbin fans, just in case you have not heard the new advertisement from the khsaa on the radio you should really listen to it. This is a game and the parents should stick to cheering their kids on in a good sportsmanship manner. What kind of example are you sending to your children????
And to the female corbin fan that shouted "give it up south laurel" should realize by now that south laurel never gives up!!
Way to go south laurel!! Good luck at danville!!

You obviously do not know Coach Cima. He hates flopping and will sometimes take players out for doing it, although there is one on this year's team who tends to do it way too much for my tastes.

I was down by the goal when the collision occurred and the keeper had both hands on the ball and clearly in possession when he was hit, clearing charging the goalie should have been called, but thankfully both were OK and it did not appear malicious on the SL players part, he was just trying to make a play and arrived too late. Coach Cima told the GK to stay down because he thought that he might have a concussion and clearly stated this loud enough for the people standing by the fence to hear. The part about the GK rolling and moaning on the ground is a complete fabrication of the truth, why would someone state such a thing.

What did any Corbin fan say to a SL player during the game and who was making hand gestures to the players? The only thing I heard was some fans calling for cards on the play mentioned above and another time when A SL player slide tackled a Corbin player with his cleats showing about 3 seconds after he had passed the ball.

If you think you have the #1 goalie in the state, #1 scorer and #1 in assists, you may need to go watch some teams in the Louisville and Lexington area play....or better yet, play a few of them.

I thought both teams played good, clean soccer and didn't really see any flopping going on.
It has been mentioned to me that I may have upset some people with some fo the things I have writen on here. I would like to apoligize to those people. I try not to offend anyone no matter what the situation is, not just about sports. I don't put anyone down on purpose and if someone has somehow taken one of my statements as me doing so I assure you that was not my attention. Again if I have came off that way I am sorry.
Da_truf Wrote:It has been mentioned to me that I may have upset some people with some fo the things I have writen on here. I would like to apoligize to those people. I try not to offend anyone no matter what the situation is, not just about sports. I don't put anyone down on purpose and if someone has somehow taken one of my statements as me doing so I assure you that was not my attention. Again if I have came off that way I am sorry.

You seem to be a very good poster, have not noticed anything that would be offensive to anyone from you.
THEWHOLETRUTH Wrote:The corbin high school coach is the coach of both the middle school and high school!! He starts them in middle school with excellent acting classes on how to fake a foul by doing a "flop" or "dive".

The corbin players also did some "hand gestures" to the sl players on their way to the final regional game thursday night. This is something that the parents of the corbin players should teach their children better manners and to be better sports. That may be why they lost to sl when it really counted. Hats off to pikeville. Great game. They need not hang their heads low they played a very tough game.

The sideline ref did raise his flag and the foul was on corbin's #11, but like you said the field ref did not acknowledge the flag and the play should have been null and void. As far as the advantage rule the ref's were not going by the advantage rule the whole game only when it came to corbin getting the advantage. South laurel was pushed and fouled probably more than corbin, due to the fact that corbin did a great acting job on "flops".

Where exactly did this happen at on the way to the game? How many on the field confrontations did SL have this year? Corbin had zero.
The South Laurel v. Corbin rivalry would be alot better for the fans and the players both if the refs would call things right or at least down the middle. I have seen them make alot of bad calls! (ones that could cost the other the games) Thier Middle School game last year in the district tournament was a joke because of the officals. I would love to see these two play and the refs make every call! It would be different, but at least the lossing team could go home with thier head held high and say we played hard, we gave it our all and they beat us! We were not cheated and it was a good game.

I understand letting players play. But the deal is rules are rules and they are put there to follow. If I win I want to win honestly. If I lose I want it to be because I got beat. Anything else just taints the game.
Pretty apparent who the best team in the region was. South Laurel.
Jeffery Poston is only a junior scoring 75+ goals in his career. Outstanding player wouldn't be a surprise if he played D 1 soccer. I played against him last year and he made me look stupid lol. but anyways congrats south laurel.
imgman94 Wrote:Pretty apparent who the best team in the region was. South Laurel.
Jeffery Poston is only a junior scoring 75+ goals in his career. Outstanding player wouldn't be a surprise if he played D 1 soccer. I played against him last year and he made me look stupid lol. but anyways congrats south laurel.

South Laurel was the best team. While Poston(36 goals, 14 assists) is a great player, what helped him alot this year was teams couldn't hone in on him. This year they had to deal with Dustin Herron (14,21) who might I add was in the top 5 in the state in assists. Dylan Berry (5,6), when he was on offence he could shot or pass. John McClure (4,9) has had some great passes this year and scored a few while he was at is.(unfortunatly he has had hamstring problems the last few game). Tanner Chaney (9,1) has been a great freshman. And that is just what they did during the regular season. The team really shared the load. I have said it before this is one of South's best all-time teams and Poston can put his name up there with Bodager and LaBore.