Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 34 Sheldon Clark 13
Wow, I thought this would be a better game. Belfry seems to be firing on all cylinders at the right time. Nice win Pirates!
Hey irishcard, I am glad that feeling you kept having about the game was wrong. I admit that i felt a little unusual before the game. I never doubt the Pirates, but I really believed it might go to the wire. Oh well, another big Pirate win.
bucslover68 Wrote:I appreciate the apology, but I do not think it is needed. Emotion is a powerful tool and it has overwhelmed us all at times. I think we should just leave it with, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone." I really think the
Cards need to do a couple of things to right their ship. First, they need to get healthy. Second, they need to decide who they are. Are they gonna line up and run two tight, or one tight and, one wide wishbone, or are they gonna be 4 wide spread. They do not seem to be consistent enough in the passing game to throw it too much. I think with their size and talent, that if they get healthy, then they can line up and run it at a lot of people and then capitalize on the play-action in the passing game. Come playoff time, they may need to control the clock against a better opponent. Also, stick to your guns. If Hager truly trusts his team, then do not abandon the game plan at the first sign of adversity.

I agree with this completely we came out running the ball and we was getting yards and then we started going away from it.
And an update on Moore i talked to him tonight and he doesn't think it is broke and it may be a bad sprain, but ill let you guys know how serious it is when i learn some more.
Well the feelings were due to the lack of physicality that had been shown by Belfry so far, but they came out and it was like watching a different team...maybe last week was a great wake up call .....may have been just what they needed...Peyton Mullins #17 has grown leaps and bounds if he keeps improving, 4 years as a starting linebacker for Belfry he will go down as one of the best ever IMO...(@ that position)....he has good instincts and looks like he having to think less the more game time he is getting.

Maybe I should pick against em more often.
I had a feeling Belfry would win this one by a couple of TDs. Congrats!
Belfry0304 Wrote:Stepp didn't complete a pass to a SC player tonight. Completed 2 to Corey Charles.

thats great ,lol,corey should have told him that he was open more than that,lol
way to go pirates,whos next,lol
EKUAlum05 Wrote:As I said in the other thread... no matter who didn't end up playing I am not sure it really mattered when all was said and done. Belfry' defense was on point tonight and SC locked up. I mentioned in the talk lading up to the game about how SC plays tight against Belfry and it happened again this year. SC approaches this game as if it is the State Championship and get way too pumped up, this ultimately leads to mental errors and fumbles and an emotional letdown while Belfry stays even keeled. This is probably the 4th or 5th time in this series that Belfry has blown the game open in what should be a very close, competitive game. IMO it is not just a Hager thing either...the Cards had similar problems under Matney.

That's exactly the point I made in the other thread, although I do think it has something to do with the coaches, both Hager and Matney come out just as pumpled up as the boys. You have to lead by example. You will NEVER see Coach Haywood run onto the field and chest bump his players after scoring first like Hager did last night. Matney would do the same thing. This just fuels the fire. Haywood stays cool, calm and collected during events like this and in turn the boys follow suit.

I'm in no way saying don't be happy for your kids doing something, but remember that they are just kids and kids do not handle their emotions all that well, someone has to be the adult and keep emotions under check.
Congrats Belfry
Belfry definitely played team ball last night. I think that Nathan Carroll ran the ball extremely well, as did Chase Maynard. Thomas performed his usual fantastic way and the O & D line played great. It's looking more and more like a Belfry team coming together at the right time and working on all cylinders.

I also wanted to mention the run by Tyler Williams. No one saw that coming and I think every player had collapsed upon the back. I think that the refs even thought the ball was down. Nice play!
bucslover68 Wrote:Wow, the starch sure got taken out of this thread. Almost as dull as the second half of the game.

We're adults.... we're dull.... get over it!! LMAO..... :rockon:At least this one hasn't had to be shut down yet!!! I believe the first one would be close to a BGR record for most post in least amount of time!!! :biggrin:

*NOTE: Went back and checked it... 1 hour and 54 minutes and there were 98 posts counted.... At least another 30 were edited/deleted.... gosh, that one didn't last long at all!! LOL....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Pirate Pal Wrote:Belfry definitely played team ball last night. I think that Nathan Carroll ran the ball extremely well, as did Chase Maynard. Thomas performed his usual fantastic way and the O & D line played great. It's looking more and more like a Belfry team coming together at the right time and working on all cylinders.

I also wanted to mention the run by Tyler Williams. No one saw that coming and I think every player had collapsed upon the back. I think that the refs even thought the ball was down. Nice play!

Agree!:Thumbs:

Good win for the pond creek boys.
There are many things to say but I do agree we are not all bad apples in Martin County when it comes to fans. We had boys out on the field trying their hardest that didn't get involved in any of the altercation. It did amaze me on both sides of the field with both fans after the altercation occurred! Belfy adults leaning on the fence cursing our players, fans walking by, and yelling for our players to be injured. Then on the other hand people from SCHS walking by being terrible to Belfry fans they were passing as they went to the rest room. It was quite a display of sportsmanship from both sides.
So you can't knock all of the fans for both teams over a few others!

I get the joke earlier about Belfry saying they thought they were at Matewan playing...we feel the same sometimes when we come to pond creek. Emotions do get the best of us at times and then we run with them! I wish SC the best in next weeks Pike Central game and say to them Keep Your Heads Up and get on with the rest of your season! One more thing showing some love to your players Chest Bumping aint nothing wrong with having some fun! LOL! Good Luck to all of the teams!
mxmom102 Wrote:There are many things to say but I do agree we are not all bad apples in Martin County when it comes to fans. We had boys out on the field trying their hardest that didn't get involved in any of the altercation. It did amaze me on both sides of the field with both fans after the altercation occurred! Belfy adults leaning on the fence cursing our players, fans walking by, and yelling for our players to be injured. Then on the other hand people from SCHS walking by being terrible to Belfry fans they were passing as they went to the rest room. It was quite a display of sportsmanship from both sides.

I get the joke earlier about Belfry saying they thought they were at Matewan playing...we feel the same sometimes when we come to pond creek. Emotions do get the best of us at times and then we run with them! I wish SC the best in next weeks Pike Central game and say to them Keep Your Heads Up and get on with the rest of your season! One more thing showing some love to your players Chest Bumping aint nothing wrong with having some fun! LOL! Good Luck to all of the teams!

Great post and you make some valid points..... It's not ALL fans who show themselves... Just some and it makes the entire group look bad.... On this I agree 100%.

BUT, I have to say this NOT being scarastic by any means but could you see Coach Haywood, suit jacket and tie chest bumping one of his boys? Invision it.... LOL..... I isn't gonna happen!! HAHA.... Now high fives, heck yeah.... they get em' all the time.. But Coach Haywood usually keeps his composure.

All in all a good game and my prayers are with the young man who was injured. Hopefully, it's not too bad and he will be able to return for the end of the season for the Cards.

mxmom102 Wrote:There are many things to say but I do agree we are not all bad apples in Martin County when it comes to fans. We had boys out on the field trying their hardest that didn't get involved in any of the altercation. It did amaze me on both sides of the field with both fans after the altercation occurred! Belfy adults leaning on the fence cursing our players, fans walking by, and yelling for our players to be injured. Then on the other hand people from SCHS walking by being terrible to Belfry fans they were passing as they went to the rest room. It was quite a display of sportsmanship from both sides.

I agree that chest bumping your players shows some love. However, to me, it goes to a deeper concern for SC. EKU kind of hit on this. Can Hager separate himself emotionally from the buildup and and hype of big games, like the one with Belfry, and keep an even mind and stick to a gameplan? He has done wonders with the SC program. I remember his first year after taking over from Matney and thinking that Jim left the cupboard pretty bare. Nevertheless, Hager created his own team and has had really good success. But the question remains. Will the desire to beat and "be" Belfry ultimately keep SC from ever reaching the heights that Belfry already has, and that Hager wants SC to get to? When I say "be" Belfry, it has become very evident that Hager models his program after the Pirates. The blue has been taken out of the uniforms and if you just glanced at the 2 teams, they look very similar. Hager has taken many of Haywood's offensive principles and applied these to his program. I am not saying that any of this is wrong, but IMO, you have to truly believe in your team, and that they are better than Belfry, in order to beat Belfry. Shawn sometimes loses faith in his team, his plan to beat the Pirates, and what his team does best, when Belfry jumps on them. I quantify what I say by adding that i wish the Cards the best and honestly hope to see them week 3 of the playoffs if both teams can win two games. First things first. SC must regroup and reheal and get by a good PC team.
Good points bucs... I'll add that Hager did show some signs of maturation tonight on two particular instances. Trailing 27-7 facing a 4th and short at their own 23 it appeared SC was going to go for it (and in past years they definitely would have). Hager lined up in the shotgun, but instead chose to quick kick. Previously he would have went for it, not got it, then set Belfry up for what would certainly make it 34-7 in the first half. Second instance was after said possession resulted in SC getting the ball back with 3 minutes to go before the half. Hager didn't just chuck the ball on 4 straight plays where Belfry could have got the ball back and marched down field for another score, he mixed in runs to kep the clock moving enough that Belfry didn't have any time to drive once they received the punt. In the long term these didn't matter, but for the time being it at least kept the game reachable, something Shawn has shot himself in the foot with in year's past.

It is clear he is growing as a coach, his players love him, and he has built on what is already a strong program. But until SC's season is predicated on winning a STATE Championship and not a REGIONAL or DISTRICT Championship, SC will continue to struggle against Belfry.
Rule 6 Section 2 (ART 1) Defines a scimmage kick as a punt, drop kick, or place kick (field goal) from in or behind the neutral zone(line of scrimmage). (ART 2) Receiver may catach or recover in the field of play and advance unless a try for extra point. (ART 7) When any scrimmage kick is out of bounds between the goal lines or becomes dead inbounds while no player is in possession the ball is awarded to R (defensive team) at the spot where the ball becomes dead or at the spot where the ball went out-of-bounds.
bucslover68 Wrote:I agree that chest bumping your players shows some love. However, to me, it goes to a deeper concern for SC. EKU kind of hit on this. Can Hager separate himself emotionally from the buildup and and hype of big games, like the one with Belfry, and keep an even mind and stick to a gameplan? He has done wonders with the SC program. I remember his first year after taking over from Matney and thinking that Jim left the cupboard pretty bare. Nevertheless, Hager created his own team and has had really good success. But the question remains. Will the desire to beat and "be" Belfry ultimately keep SC from ever reaching the heights that Belfry already has, and that Hager wants SC to get to? When I say "be" Belfry, it has become very evident that Hager models his program after the Pirates. The blue has been taken out of the uniforms and if you just glanced at the 2 teams, they look very similar. Hager has taken many of Haywood's offensive principles and applied these to his program. I am not saying that any of this is wrong, but IMO, you have to truly believe in your team, and that they are better than Belfry, in order to beat Belfry. Shawn sometimes loses faith in his team, his plan to beat the Pirates, and what his team does best, when Belfry jumps on them. I quantify what I say by adding that i wish the Cards the best and honestly hope to see them week 3 of the playoffs if both teams can win two games. First things first. SC must regroup and reheal and get by a good PC team.

I agree about Hager being very emotional. Hes been like that as long as I've known him. I can be good but sometimes it can cause you teams to get carried away. However Matney left Hager with some very good players. Definately not bare.
Blackwater Wrote:Rule 6 Section 2 (ART 1) Defines a scimmage kick as a punt, drop kick, or place kick (field goal) from in or behind the neutral zone(line of scrimmage). (ART 2) Receiver may catach or recover in the field of play and advance unless a try for extra point. (ART 7) When any scrimmage kick is out of bounds between the goal lines or becomes dead inbounds while no player is in possession the ball is awarded to R (defensive team) at the spot where the ball becomes dead or at the spot where the ball went out-of-bounds.

There you have it... :Thumbs:

Thanks blackwater...
EKUAlum05:
Anytime, I always have my rule book handy. The problem is that fans get the rules on Saturdays(college)Sundays(NFL) and Fridays (high schools) mixed up.
was waiting for that, just wondered how long it took before someone said anything..TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
Matman Wrote:I agree about Hager being very emotional. Hes been like that as long as I've known him. I can be good but sometimes it can cause you teams to get carried away. However Matney left Hager with some very good players. Definately not bare.
he coaches like he played, with heart. i wish him all the luck. i only wish he coached another team. sc is a team i love to hate. who can blame him for patterning himself like his mentor.
I also think Belfry's depth showed tonight. Chancey is a three year started at Center, but he got tossed and we did some rotating, Keegan Fields came in and played a great game. On the D-Line James Hardin and Chancey both played alot of DT, our depth allowed us to keep more good players out there. Timmy Lovern, a 2 or 3 year started (Anyone wanna let me know which?) was hurt, Josh Francis stepped in for him and did good.
Pirate Pal Wrote:Belfry definitely played team ball last night. I think that Nathan Carroll ran the ball extremely well, as did Chase Maynard. Thomas performed his usual fantastic way and the O & D line played great. It's looking more and more like a Belfry team coming together at the right time and working on all cylinders.

the team is maturing, their tough schedule is paying off. i believe if they play p-burg or ashland now the win by two tds. i hate to see a fight, but i have to say ive been waiting all year to see hardin get his feathers ruffled. i said before the whitley county game if he ever gets the taste of blood no o lineman could handle him. still waiting for someone to make a big hit on the front seven for the pirate d. they are playing more physical. but still no inspirng hit. they need one
Blackwater Wrote:Rule 6 Section 2 (ART 1) Defines a scimmage kick as a punt, drop kick, or place kick (field goal) from in or behind the neutral zone(line of scrimmage). (ART 2) Receiver may catach or recover in the field of play and advance unless a try for extra point. (ART 7) When any scrimmage kick is out of bounds between the goal lines or becomes dead inbounds while no player is in possession the ball is awarded to R (defensive team) at the spot where the ball becomes dead or at the spot where the ball went out-of-bounds.

Nice post. Thank you.
This thread has been going better so we don't need to start getting off topic. Keep it on the game.:please:
Congrats to the Pirates on another District Title!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You talk about some hard nosed football. Prime example of that last night. Glad I got to make my first trip to CAM with my son. I agree with everything EKU said about Sheldon Clark; Until they focus on winning a 3A championship, it's going to be continually tough to knock off the Pirates. Very well said EKU. Also, thanks to Blackwater for clearing that rule up. I didn't know that was the rule in high school. I was giving the referee a hard time last night for no reason. :biggrin:

Congrats to the Pirates and Coach Haywood.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:You talk about some hard nosed football. Prime example of that last night. Glad I got to make my first trip to CAM with my son. I agree with everything EKU said about Sheldon Clark; Until they focus on winning a 3A championship, it's going to be continually tough to knock off the Pirates. Very well said EKU. Also, thanks to Blackwater for clearing that rule up. I didn't know that was the rule in high school. I was giving the referee a hard time last night for no reason. :biggrin:

Congrats to the Pirates and Coach Haywood.

Hope you enjoyed your first trip to CAM..you chose one heck of a game as your first.