Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
67.44%
Raceland
32.56%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Raceland 10/23
Rail Cities Bowl picks up steam
By AARON SNYDER — The Independent
RACELAND — The Rail Cities Bowl series, which has seen back-to-back wins by the visiting team, has become one of the top rivalries in the area since its formation just two years ago.

Raceland and Russell, located just 4 1/2 miles apart, faced one another 50 times from 1926 to 1974, but had a drought until 2007.

Now it’s time for Rail Cities Bowl III.

Russell (6-3) and Raceland (5-4) are each trying to close out the regular season with a win tonight at Raceland.

Russell will use the two-headed running attack of Will Rice and Travis Jones, while Raceland hopes its quarterback, Tyler Farley, is healthy enough to provide enough offense for the Rams to come out on top.

Farley injured his hand in a 40-0 loss to Lexington Christian last week. Behind Farley, options are slim for Raceland, after former backup quarterback Mason Rister moved to Ohio midway through the season.

Rice also provides a threat on the defensive side of the ball for Russell. Raceland coach Randy Vanderhoof expressed concern of two seniors — Rice and inside linebacking partner Kamron Smith. The two have combined for 70 tackles this season.

“Since they were sophomores, they’ve made a ton of plays and tons of tackles,” Vanderhoof said. “It’s tough to move the ball against Russell. Their front seven does a great job.”

Raceland has had trouble running the ball all season, with just more than 800 yards on the ground. Michael Litteral and Ralph Burchett have racked up most of the yards out of the backfield.

Farley has turned in some solid games for the Rams, throwing for nearly 1,200 yards.

“We will play our basic defense,” said Russell coach Ivan McGlone. “We need good secondary play. We need to put pressure on the quarterback when we can. We just have to do whatever you would have to do in any ballgame when someone can throw well.”

Russell relies on its defense for victories. The Red Devils are 5-0 when they allow less than 20 points. Their losses came to Mason County, Ironton and Ashland.

Even though Russell sits on six wins, McGlone wants to see improvement.

“We have to be able to stop the big play,” McGlone said. “And our passing game needs to come along a little bit.”

Even if the rain does not fall tonight, do not expect Russell to throw the ball much. As a team, four quarterbacks have combined for just 227 yards on 14-of-50 passing with eight interceptions.

The third-leading rusher in all of Class 3A will be expected to carry the brunt of Russell’s offense. Jones has rushed for 1,277 yards and has 16 touchdowns. The senior also has two 200-yard rushing games.

“What a phenomenal season he’s had for them,” Vanderhoof said. “The big thing about Travis is his vision. He understands the blocking schemes, cutback lanes, and he always tries to get that extra yard.”

Each team is looking to get a win heading into the postseason. And that, along with a chance to go above the .500-mark on the season, serves as motivation for Raceland.

“This game should help us in preparation for the playoffs,” Vanderhoof said. “(Russell) is the type of team that you’re going to meet in the playoffs.”

Vanderhoof’s club is slightly less healthy than Russell, but the coach looks for his players to be ready tonight.

“Going into the 10th game of the season, we have kids beat up and banged up,” said Vanderhoof. “Some of them are going to try to get some tape on them and be ready to go.”

According to McGlone, Russell is at its healthiest point of the season.

A large crowd is expected to be on hand at Rams Stadium tonight, and Vanderhoof expects the stands to be rocking on both sides of the field.

“This has been electric the past two years,” Vanderhoof said. “I expect nothing less than that this week. This is a good, healthy rivalry.”
How far you go in the playoffs goes along way in defining your season.
I think it might rain this evenings:flush::devilflam
Muddy for sure & probably rain.
hey Ran Fan 04.... I like that ring... haha. That "cracked road" of a track took us pretty far.. lol.. oh well... I do agree with you though, if we could change the field and stadium.. we would.. lol.. that would be a dream come true.. people that come on here and criticize the facilities are just preachin to the chior!:biggrin:

Looks like a wet one tonight... I hope the crowds still come out
I hope they don't. If the rain keeps some of the crowd away I may actually be able to see some of the game.
You gotta love 9 pages of trash talk between raceland and russell. I haven't posted in forever but its good to see you all havn't skipped a beat lol!! Raceland had 1 good year last year and a decent year before that. This year they just don't have it, and I'd say they won't have it for a while. All the talk about the stadium really makes me laugh, racelands field + stadium is BAD! I really hope they drag over some baseball seats or something!
Should be a fun game to watch.. Russell by 3TDs
Hey guys, we will trade you a wieght room or film room for a field, WE HAVE TWO BIG ONES OF EACH! The film rooms even have 100 inch big screens. That would help the players more than any kind of seats we could buy, it's only visitors after all! We have plenty of room for our fans!:thatsfunn
PureRedDevil Wrote:You gotta love 9 pages of trash talk between raceland and russell. I haven't posted in forever but its good to see you all havn't skipped a beat lol!! Raceland had 1 good year last year and a decent year before that. This year they just don't have it, and I'd say they won't have it for a while. All the talk about the stadium really makes me laugh, racelands field + stadium is BAD! I really hope they drag over some baseball seats or something!
Should be a fun game to watch.. Russell by 3TDs

And Russells program looks promising? You aren't as good as you were last year and you weren't even good then. Cmon now be serious. And these playoffs aren't a cakewalk for you anymore like they used to be!
Ram Fan04 Wrote:And Russells program looks promising? You aren't as good as you were last year and you weren't even good then. Cmon now be serious. And these playoffs aren't a cakewalk for you anymore like they used to be!
Russell is a little better than last year and Raceland is a lot worse than last year.
The sun is out now and maybe it will stay clear though the game.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Russell is a little better than last year and Raceland is a lot worse than last year.

Calm down I'm just poking. No real harm intended. And I hope this weather stays this way should be nice!
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)