Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
67.44%
Raceland
32.56%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Raceland 10/23
Jarons Wrote:Raceland has one of the better fields in 1a that I have seen. You guys think that you are too good to play at Raceland? I have read so much whining about it. Does the track going through the corners of the end zone worry you that much? Get over it, both teams play on the same field.

I think Russell fans biggest beef with the stadium is that Russell brings so many that it makes it darn near impossible to see the game unless you get there at 6 pm and no one should have to arrive that early imo just to get a seat. At Russell I could arrive right at 7:30 and still grab a seat or at least get a decent standing spot to see the game.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I think Russell fans biggest beef with the stadium is that Russell brings so many that it makes it darn near impossible to see the game unless you get there at 6 pm and no one should have to arrive that early imo just to get a seat

I know the capacity of the visitor side is not the largest. This year will be the first Raceland/Russell football game I have been too. Does Raceland rent an extra set of bleachers for the visitors to fit Russell's crowd because they are so close. Seating on that side was never an issue because the teams we played never brought people except Fairview and Lawrence Co.

BTW, I am driving 3hrs to see this game. I hope it will be hard hitting competitive game. If it is anything like the basketball games I have seen. I will not be disappointed.
Jarons Wrote:I know the capacity of the visitor side is not the largest. This year will be the first Raceland/Russell football game I have been too. Does Raceland rent an extra set of bleachers for the visitors to fit Russell's crowd because they are so close. Seating on that side was never an issue because the teams we played never brought people except Fairview and Lawrence Co.

BTW, I am driving 3hrs to see this game. I hope it will be hard hitting competitive game. If it is anything like the basketball games I have seen. I will not be disappointed.

Last time they played at Raceland the visitors section was full and they were standing 3 deep all around the track. I'm not sure if they rented seating or not just know all was full.
Raceland has the best field in their district. LCAs home side may be a little bit better, but their visitor bleachers are worse than Racelands. I stand at every game I go to, even Ashland. So it doesn't bother me to stand I guess. But I'm still young I guess?? And as far as the actual playing field goes. Racelands was better at this point last year. Russells entire field was dead and hard.
Anyone know why the series was stopped for so long?
It isn't made for large capacity crowds I won't argue that.
Jarons Wrote:Raceland has one of the better fields in 1a that I have seen. You guys think that you are too good to play at Raceland? I have read so much whining about it. Does the track going through the corners of the end zone worry you that much? Get over it, both teams play on the same field.

I'm not "whining" about the playing field. What I am "whining" about is the fact that if you are not there two hours early to get a seat on the visitors side then your only choice is to stand along track. Guess I could always bring my fishing chair along with me! :biggrin:
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Raceland has the best field in their district. LCAs home side may be a little bit better, but their visitor bleachers are worse than Racelands. I stand at every game I go to, even Ashland. So it doesn't bother me to stand I guess. But I'm still young I guess?? And as far as the actual playing field goes. Racelands was better at this point last year. Russells entire field was dead and hard.

I also don't have a problem with standing while watching the game but two years ago there were not even any decent standing spots. I don't believe that will be the case this year though because Russell's crowds have been down compared to some of the previous years. Also, Raceland does have one of the better fields in the area for the smaller schools. It's always nice, as a player, playing at a nicer facilty if you must be on the road.

Can't wait for Friday! Should be a good game!

Go Devils! :devilflam
Racelands crowds have dwindled tremendously this year compared to last seasons. But I wonder if all the fair weather fans from both sides will venture out to this one just because it is Raceland/Russell.
Russell will win this one big.........Raceland is not very good this year at all. They could'nt even beat Greenup.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Racelands crowds have dwindled tremendously this year compared to last seasons. But I wonder if all the fair weather fans from both sides will venture out to this one just because it is Raceland/Russell.

Very good point ramfan! :Thumbs:

All the "true" fans that only come out when it's clear skies and 85! Hehe Confusedtrom:
Russell offered to split the gate if the games were played at Henry R. Evans stadium and Raceland refused. They have said they will not continue the series with Ashland unless it is home and home either. I think both Russell and Ashland should tell them its been nice knowing ya and see if they can find a better game to prepare them and make money off of. I don't them Rams could.

How is this for whining. I wouldn't play on 3/4 of a field. Yes Russell is too good for that. For that matter so is Raceland. Hopefully that is being rectified.

What a load of crap about Russell not having a big fullback. Russell has never had a traditional fullback. The Russell offense is predicated on reading the blocks and making the right cut. Even the fullback. Rice by the way is a pretty good one.

They way Jones has run the ball wouldn't you give him the Lions share of the carries? I know I would.

Until the Lewis County game I thought Russell was a lock in this game. After watching the defensive performance against the pass the other night I think Raceland has a chance. The Russell Secondary vs the Raceland recieving corp will decide who wins this game.

The series was stopped because these two schools hate each other and there were too many fights. That and Russell had plenty of options to fill their schedule with the Tri State Athletic Conference in the 70's, the OKAC in the 80s and early 90s, and the realignment by the KHSAA in the mid 90s that put Russell in an 8 team district. Plain and simple Russell didn't need this series then and they still don't.
Ive seen Raceland play, and Raceland is back to their normal terrible selves. One of the worst football teams Ive ever seen play as far as talent level and size. Looks like a middle school game. Raceland had its good year or two, and now back to sub par seasons for another 3 decades. I was honestly embarassed watching Raceland try to play football.

Russell is no world beater either, but they definetly have the better team in this match up.
FBALL Wrote:Russell offered to split the gate if the games were played at Henry R. Evans stadium and Raceland refused. They have said they will not continue the series with Ashland unless it is home and home either. I think both Russell and Ashland should tell them its been nice knowing ya and see if they can find a better game to prepare them and make money off of. I don't them Rams could.

How is this for whining. I wouldn't play on 3/4 of a field. Yes Russell is too good for that. For that matter so is Raceland. Hopefully that is being rectified.

What a load of crap about Russell not having a big fullback. Russell has never had a traditional fullback. The Russell offense is predicated on reading the blocks and making the right cut. Even the fullback. Rice by the way is a pretty good one.

They way Jones has run the ball wouldn't you give him the Lions share of the carries? I know I would.

Until the Lewis County game I thought Russell was a lock in this game. After watching the defensive performance against the pass the other night I think Raceland has a chance. The Russell Secondary vs the Raceland recieving corp will decide who wins this game.

The series was stopped because these two schools hate each other and there were too many fights. That and Russell had plenty of options to fill their schedule with the Tri State Athletic Conference in the 70's, the OKAC in the 80s and early 90s, and the realignment by the KHSAA in the mid 90s that put Russell in an 8 team district. Plain and simple Russell didn't need this series then and they still don't.

I'm not saying that Russell needs a bigger full back but they better have some other plays besides running Jones the entire game against bigger teams. Against a bigger and stronger team like they faced in the Ironton game, you will need MORE! Russell came up with a total of 88 yards during this game. Unless you plan on your defense holding the opposing team to 87 yards, :dontthink, you better find a way to scratch out some more yards. I know that you are a McGlone lover and your bread and butter is the Wing T, but spreading the field out and going with a pro style offense shouldn't kill you. Drop the QB back into a shot gun and send more than 2 receivers out for a pass. I still to this day cannot figure out why McGlone/ Jones refuse to let the QB throw the ball to Davidson or DeHoff. (They are the tallest kids on the field and both have decent hands and can jump) But instead we throw it to Jesse White Reed. Who knows? I will never understand that one. This is a must when most if not all of the teams that you are facing are bigger than you.

You know you would? Guess that's why your on Lewis County's side and not on the Russell sidelines. :biggrin:
Russell will most likely win, but I am pulling for a Raceland upset:biggrin:
Wildcat89 Wrote:I'm not saying that Russell needs a bigger full back but they better have some other plays besides running Jones the entire game against bigger teams. Against a bigger and stronger team like they faced in the Ironton game, you will need MORE! Russell came up with a total of 88 yards during this game. Unless you plan on your defense holding the opposing team to 87 yards, :dontthink, you better find a way to scratch out some more yards. I know that you are a McGlone lover and your bread and butter is the Wing T, but spreading the field out and going with a pro style offense shouldn't kill you. Drop the QB back into a shot gun and send more than 2 receivers out for a pass. I still to this day cannot figure out why McGlone/ Jones refuse to let the QB throw the ball to Davidson or DeHoff. (They are the tallest kids on the field and both have decent hands and can jump) But instead we throw it to Jesse White Reed. Who knows? I will never understand that one. This is a must when most if not all of the teams that you are facing are bigger than you.

You know you would? Guess that's why your on Lewis County's side and not on the Russell sidelines. :biggrin:

Russell did show a couple of different sets in this game. Only a couple of times though. I do like coach McGlone. His offense is not going to change much. Yes it is tough against a stronger, faster team but that holds true with any offense. I have said I don't agree with all of it but I am not a coach. I would like to see more of the power I, some counters, and some screen passes thrown in to keep the defenses from loading up. Davidson and Dehoff are tall but there has yet to be a QB show that they can deliver the ball down the field.

I like Sparks at QB and I believe he should remain the starter but the Interception in the second quarter when Russell was driving was on him. Rodgers had the man beat but the ball was badly underthrown. Even at that the kid from Lewis County made a terrific adjustment on the ball to get the interception. The play really should have been a TD and there is no way you can fault the coaches on that one. Sometime even with the Wing T it just comes down to players executing or not.

Also I will give Lewis County a little bit of credit here. They spread the ball around and came in with a good game plan. The short passes killed Russell and kept the ball out of the Devils hands. The Lions definitely played with more fire as well. They never quit and never gave up. I do think Russell came in thinking this was an easy win and played like it.

Hopefully Cooper will be back next week. That should help alot with the secondary and the blown coverage.

The reason I was on the Lewis County sideline is because I was doing someone a favor. I would have been over there no matter who Russell would have been playing.

By the way Jones had 13 carries, Will Rice had 9. That is hardly running Jones on every play.
The Raceland field is much better than East or West carter, do you also whin about their fields? And for Raceland being the worst team around. get real, Raceland had players out all year and this week all are back at 100% and Raceland will win this Game!! You all sound like the past Greenup fans and parents wanting to coach from the side lines, you see where it got them. Things are looking like there will be a change at greenup, are you planning to take their place? It sounds like it! Lets have pitty on big old Russell and give them our home side so they can see the run down new softball and the beat up new baseball field and the nasty looking new tennis courts setting by that ugly new basketball gym and nasty looking new highschool. Why can't we have nice things like them?:fedup:can you tell!
that's right Wrote:The Raceland field is much better than East or West carter, do you also whin about their fields? And for Raceland being the worst team around. get real, Raceland had players out all year and this week all are back at 100% and Raceland will win this Game!! You all sound like the past Greenup fans and parents wanting to coach from the side lines, you see where it got them. Things are looking like there will be a change at greenup, are you planning to take their place? It sounds like it! Lets have pitty on big old Russell and give them our home side so they can see the run down new softball and the beat up new baseball field and the nasty looking new tennis courts setting by that ugly new basketball gym and nasty looking new highschool. Why can't we have nice things like them?:fedup:can you tell!

You're going to be even more fed up when Russell smacks Raceland in the mouth on their home field:devilflam :redboxer::flame:
Hey if Russell wins and our boys play hard, I'll be proud and say you can't win them all. I am happy that young men get the chance in highschool to enjoy the game and have fun! The arrogance from some people always are thinking they are all above someone else because of a self appointed status is what gets me fed-up. After football these young men will hopefully learn about life from playing the game and how important bother hood and working and trusting each other is, not acting like some of you. WE all answer to the big coach sooner or later! And by the way, I have a lot of friends from Russell, I hope their kids do great in this game and win out the season just not this game.

I wouldn't call it a track .... it looks like an old cracked up road to me.

Jokes aside, those without tend to be tougher kids and work harder than those that are spoiled. I think some wise old man said that once ... I think his name was either "weed hooper" of FBall?? :blabbermo
that's right Wrote:Hey if Russell wins and our boys play hard, I'll be proud and say you can't win them all. I am happy that young men get the chance in highschool to enjoy the game and have fun! The arrogance from some people always are thinking they are all above someone else because of a self appointed status is what gets me fed-up. After football these young men will hopefully learn about life from playing the game and how important bother hood and working and trusting each other is, not acting like some of you. WE all answer to the big coach sooner or later! And by the way, I have a lot of friends from Russell, I hope their kids do great in this game and win out the season just not this game.

Amen. I love the Big Coach!
It depends on which Raceland team shows up for this one. I've see about three different Raceland teams this season. It could be Russell by 21, Russell by 7, or Raceland 30-23. Again. Either way I hope they show up to play it's alot more fun when it's a hard fought game and comes down to the end like last year.
And hopefully both teams stay injury free as playoff time approaches.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:I wouldn't call it a track .... it looks like an old cracked up road to me.

Jokes aside, those without tend to be tougher kids and work harder than those that are spoiled. I think some wise old man said that once ... I think his name was either "weed hooper" of FBall?? :blabbermo

That cracked up road was good enough for a state championship in 03!
I hope it's a good game. Maybe the Rams are down this year. Little ole Raceland is not suppose to be able to beat the big and powerful 3A Red Devils. Russell people can say that they get nothing out of this game all they want. But Russell's district is so weak every year, that this game should help Russell prepare for playoffs. As for where the game should be played each year, it should rotate. The Ashland game also. If these two teams don't want to rotate, then don't schedule us. You shouldn't be afraid to play road games. Especially against tiny 1A Raceland. If I'm not mistaken, Russell will be playing in the tiny All A (basketball)this year. If you are too good to play on the small schools fields, then stay up with the big boys. :please:
East and West Carter are district games that have to be played. Raceland is a game that Russell does not need and I hope they drop unless Raceland agrees to split the gate and play at Russell.
Then drop us. Raceland deserves games on their home field too. Also wish Raceland would drop Ashland if they don't start playing some at Raceland.
I've got a solution to that stadium problem F-BALL......Why don't you guys switch us stadiums. We draw more fans than you guys do anyway. We had more fans there last year you shoulda switched us sides.
FBALL Wrote:Russell offered to split the gate if the games were played at Henry R. Evans stadium and Raceland refused. They have said they will not continue the series with Ashland unless it is home and home either. I think both Russell and Ashland should tell them its been nice knowing ya and see if they can find a better game to prepare them and make money off of. I don't them Rams could.

I can see why Russell doesn't want this series. we beat you last year and this year you lost most of your Jr. high class to us. If we beat you this year you may not have a football program anymore. All I got to say is.....It's just Russell.
I almost forgot F-Ball......You suck at holding chains. No wonder Fleming Co. kept coming up short on first downs.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Raceland has the best field in their district. LCAs home side may be a little bit better, but their visitor bleachers are worse than Racelands. I stand at every game I go to, even Ashland. So it doesn't bother me to stand I guess. But I'm still young I guess?? And as far as the actual playing field goes. Racelands was better at this point last year. Russells entire field was dead and hard.

Last time I checked turf to cover the rest of the endzones should be illegal, so how in the world is that the best field you gotta be kidding me!
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next