Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 28 Boyd County 14
Congrats Belfry.....
Belfry showed a lot of improvement from last week. Time to get ready for a good Ashland team.
oneijoe Wrote:I did come off kinda "knowitall", didn't I ? Sorry about that... Confusedhh:

It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when the teams of Belfry from 2003-2008 are referred to as "typical Belfry teams". Current and future Belfry teams could be very good, yet not compare well to those groups. That's all...

I couldn't agree with you more oneijoe, I have watched 20 yrs of Belfry football and played 4 years, the past 6 teams ( 03-08) are by far not your "typical" Belfry team. Your typical Belfry teams scraps around and wins 7 to 8 regular season games and makes it to the regional finals and loses. I unfortunately was a part of a 4 yr regional championship losing streak. So you wont hear this guy getting spoiled I have lived and loved the "typical" Belfry teams.
irishcard16 Wrote:I couldn't agree with you more oneijoe, I have watched 20 yrs of Belfry football and played 4 years, the past 6 teams ( 03-08) are by far not your "typical" Belfry team. Your typical Belfry teams scraps around and wins 7 to 8 regular season games and makes it to the regional finals and loses. I unfortunately was a part of a 4 yr regional championship losing streak. So you wont hear this guy getting spoiled I have lived and loved the "typical" Belfry teams.

:Thumbs:

Thanks goodness someone knew what I meant !!! Some of the johnny-come-latelies to the Big Red Nation have no recollection of any of that...

It's very difficult to be a dominant offense with Coach's system. Haywood's offense demands a slick ball handling QB, a bruising FB, a speed-burning HB, and a big dominating offensive line to reach that plateau. Otherwise, it's a conservative ball-hogging system that's intended to keep games close. Until 2003, Belfry never got all the pieces at the same time to make that offensive system shine.
Wow this game was closer than i expected. They should probably im prove on this performance, if they hope to beat ashland this week.
Replacing 7 starter's on defense and 6 on offense is never easy, especially when most of those kids were 3 year starters. This is a young Pirate team who is going to have some growing pains. There is a considerable size difference in this team and the past few teams also. Two years ago, our 2 starting halfbacks were both 220 plus and good speed for their size.
oneijoe Wrote::Thumbs:

Thanks goodness someone knew what I meant !!! Some of the johnny-come-latelies to the Big Red Nation have no recollection of any of that...

It's very difficult to be a dominant offense with Coach's system. Haywood's offense demands a slick ball handling QB, a bruising FB, a speed-burning HB, and a big dominating offensive line to reach that plateau. Otherwise, it's a conservative ball-hogging system that's intended to keep games close. Until 2003, Belfry never got all the pieces at the same time to make that offensive system shine.

I'll broaden that for a dominant defense as well. Belfry utilizes quick DT's with a mean streak, an athletic noseguard, DE's with size and speed that can shed blocks and get sideline to sideline, and LB's with a nose for the football.

I think if you look at this year's Belfry team they certainly have soem of the components needed for offense and defense, but they are either lacking some, or have talent that is just exceptionally young at those positions.
Geez.... give the boys some time! They are workin hard and the have the "meanness" and "quickness" to do what needs to be done.... It's kinda like a puzzle.... Puttin in all the pieces.... making the puzzle complete... HAHA... Belfry isn't as big as past years but they do NOT lack in knowledge and ability.... It will be evident by the end of the season!! Smile

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I'll broaden that for a dominant defense as well. Belfry utilizes quick DT's with a mean streak, an athletic noseguard, DE's with size and speed that can shed blocks and get sideline to sideline, and LB's with a nose for the football.

I think if you look at this year's Belfry team they certainly have soem of the components needed for offense and defense, but they are either lacking some, or have talent that is just exceptionally young at those positions.

Yes... It must be said, though, the ball-hogging possession game for Belfry has traditionally been its "best" defense. Don't underestimate the effect in holding onto the ball >30 min/game - it wears opponents out. Confusedhh:

Coach H's 5-2 doesn't emphasize aggressiveness as much as discipline. I don't think I've ever seen Belfry get beat on a reverse or other misdirection type play. Everyone knows his assignment and stays with it.
oneijoe Wrote:Yes... It must be said, though, the ball-hogging possession game for Belfry has traditionally been its "best" defense. Don't underestimate the effect in holding onto the ball >30 min/game - it wears opponents out. Confusedhh:

Coach H's 5-2 doesn't emphasize aggressiveness as much as discipline. I don't think I've ever seen Belfry get beat on a reverse or other misdirection type play. Everyone knows his assignment and stays with it.

Belfry's 5-2 really relys on smart LB's who know how to make plays. Although its not really aggressive, more so conservative, its very vulnerable to the longer passes..