Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry 28 Boyd County 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final.. Thoughts and stats to follow.
Varney well over 275 all-purpose yards, Maynard adds 102 on the ground.
Boyd QB added over 130 rushing yards.
Congrats Pirates!!!
About what I expected (in fact I think I picked the exact score). Belfry showed alot of improvement, less mistakes, better ball handling, and better tackling. Still have alot of work to do at the DE and LB spot as Boyd's QB ate them alive tonight running the ball.

Thomas Varney simply played out of his mind, basically carrying Belfry on his back. The Williams kid showed alot of improvement at QB and ran the offense well. Special Teams needs ALOT OF WORK and the O-line still have to be better at opening the runnign game between the tackles.

Belfry is nowhere near being able to contend in 3A right now, but they were drastically better than last week.
Hats off to Arthur, the QB for Boyd. Kid played his heart out and got drilled time after time but kept plugging away. He looked real good for a Junior and made some very heady plays.

Was also impressed with the Boyd coach's patience. Belfry controlled the game it seemed, but you look up in the 4th Quarter and all of a sudden Boyd is driving for the tie. They kept their composure, stuck to what was working, and really represented themselves well.
This was a great game. And I was very impressed with the play of Boyd County's QB. He did everything he could to try to get his team the win.

But, Congrats to Belfry!
It's going to be tough for Belfry if Varney has to continue to carry the load like this as I said last week in the loss to Prestonsburg. Belfry has a good young team, but the lack of experience is showing up when you look at the scores of the Pirates first two games. Typical Belfry teams over the last 5-7 years would blow teams like Prestonsburg and Boyd County out of the water.

I hate to be critical because a win is a win. Congrats Pirates!
outdoorsman43 Wrote:It's going to be tough for Belfry if Varney has to continue to carry the load like this as I said last week in the loss to Prestonsburg. Belfry has a good young team, but the lack of experience is showing up when you look at the scores of the Pirates first two games. Typical Belfry teams over the last 5-7 years would blow teams like Prestonsburg and Boyd County out of the water.

I hate to be critical because a win is a win. Congrats Pirates!

Chase Maynard had 102 yards rushing tonight, but the fact remains that when Belfry needs a 3rd and 7 Varney gets the ball. Maynard and varney were outstanding outside the tackles tonight, but the Pirates maybe had had 30 yards rushing between the two guards. With Lee, Dotson, and May over the past few years Belfry had the ability to run for 300 yards up the gut unless you specifically set out to stop it. Right now Belfry is relying on the agility and speed of Varney and Maynard to get outside and get the edge, once Belfry plays better competition this won't be available. This really showed up in the empty posessions in the first half tonight, and the 4th Down failures against Pburg deep in their territory last week.
I was in attendance for the game, and I came away alot more impressed with Boyd Co. than I was with Belfry, mainly the Arthur kid WOW he is tough. Like as said before I hate to criticize a win, but this is by far speed wise one of the fastest Belfry teams at all positions that I can remember, but what they have gained in speed they now lack in aggressiveness, if they could overcome their tentativeness they could make up for being what looks like is going to be an undersized squad this year. Good luck Pirates a win is a win. Tough one next week though if they play soft again.
As Arthur goes so does Boyd County..
First off, way to go guys! A win is a win.

Second, I have three observations/suggestions. Take them for what they are worth.

1) The young QB shows a LOT of promise IMO. I would spend TWO FULL DAYS making him run the ball! I would work him hard at keeping the football. I know he isn't going to be a threat to really hurt opposing teams this season, but if you can just get him to be confident enough to keep it and get 3-4 yards, that will be huge for Belfry's attack.

He has done a great job so far. The kids is physically ahead of Elkins (at same stage) at this point. I am very high on him.

2) I will renew my suggestion of moving Carroll to LB to play alongside Runyon. Not saying the frosh playing there now isn't promising, but IMO it makes sense to let Patrick and Bently play those DE's and put 2 big guys inside with #33.

3) This season is great. Our boys have a tought schedule that makes them play 4 quarters. Its what fans wanted and players needed. I want to say thanks one last time to the administration for making it happen. We might take a few more lumps but its worth it guys.

Who is #44? Frosh? #17? Frosh?
Boyd County's played pretty decent in it's first 2 games...its a shame Raceland then Belfry had to be the 1st 2 games of the season though I still think they should have won the 1st one. I just hope they can keep their heads up and not get down. It's tough playing you're heart out 2 weeks in a row and still losing. Keep your heads up Lions. Good things will come.
irishcard16 Wrote:I was in attendance for the game, and I came away alot more impressed with Boyd Co. than I was with Belfry, mainly the Arthur kid WOW he is tough. Like as said before I hate to criticize a win, but this is by far speed wise one of the fastest Belfry teams at all positions that I can remember, but what they have gained in speed they now lack in aggressiveness, if they could overcome their tentativeness they could make up for being what looks like is going to be an undersized squad this year. Good luck Pirates a win is a win. Tough one next week though if they play soft again.

i said before season started this team, will be small,but have very good speed overall.:rockon:
Maybe Belfry is going to take a little longer to get things going like normal.
Congrats Belfry
[quote=PaytoPlay]First off, way to go guys! A win is a win.

Second, I have three observations/suggestions. Take them for what they are worth.

1) The young QB shows a LOT of promise IMO. I would spend TWO FULL DAYS making him run the ball! I would work him hard at keeping the football. I know he isn't going to be a threat to really hurt opposing teams this season, but if you can just get him to be confident enough to keep it and get 3-4 yards, that will be huge for Belfry's attack.

He has done a great job so far. The kids is physically ahead of Elkins (at same stage) at this point. I am very high on him.

2) I will renew my suggestion of moving Carroll to LB to play alongside Runyon. Not saying the frosh playing there now isn't promising, but IMO it makes sense to let Patrick and Bently play those DE's and put 2 big guys inside with #33.

3) This season is great. Our boys have a tought schedule that makes them play 4 quarters. Its what fans wanted and players needed. I want to say thanks one last time to the administration for making it happen. We might take a few more lumps but its worth it guys.

Who is #44? Frosh? #17? Frosh?[/QUOTE]

#44 is Madison Ghormley and #17 is Payton Mullins....

Belfry looked like a different team tonight. They have made a tremendous improvement on their game from last week. I know they will be critiqued to death because they are BELFRY but those boys are working hard, they earned their win and for that I give them a HUGE congratulations!!!!

:Cheerlead
PaytoPlay Wrote:First off, way to go guys! A win is a win.

Who is #44? Frosh? #17? Frosh?
Madison Ghormley And Payton Mullins
Congrats to Belfry and great game to Varney
does anyone know how i can down load a copy of the games play by play? before 5:30 pm. i have work tonight and they wont let me have any streaming videos. thanks
How do i get a copy of this game from the computer?
Congrats Belfry. Sounds like Varney had one heck of a game as did Boyd Co's qb.
PaytoPlay Wrote:First off, way to go guys! A win is a win.

I'm not so sure I can agree with you on this point. Yeah, that Williams kid is young and appears to have more muscle tone than Elkins at that age, but comparitively speaking, Elkins was definitley the more talented QB at that age. Williams doesn't seem to have the natural ability to control the game. I don't see him as the 4th threat in the backfield like Elkins was. The speed is definitely lacking and he is isn't able to hide the ball as well as Elkins did. I would definitely rank Elkins as one of the top 5 QB's to ever come out of Belfry. Williams has a long way to go in my book.

I saw that Dwayne Fransisco's son was a freshman this year. I wonder if Haywood has tried him at QB or if the kid has any interest in that position. That would be a great flashback to the 80's having another Fransisco behind center.
Renegade88 Wrote:I'm not so sure I can agree with you on this point. Yeah, that Williams kid is young and appears to have more muscle tone than Elkins at that age, but comparitively speaking, Elkins was definitley the more talented QB at that age. Williams doesn't seem to have the natural ability to control the game. I don't see him as the 4th threat in the backfield like Elkins was. The speed is definitely lacking and he is isn't able to hide the ball as well as Elkins did. I would definitely rank Elkins as one of the top 5 QB's to ever come out of Belfry. Williams has a long way to go in my book.

I saw that Dwayne Fransisco's son was a freshman this year. I wonder if Haywood has tried him at QB or if the kid has any interest in that position. That would be a great flashback to the 80's having another Fransisco behind center.

he is qb on the freshman team, but i think he is out hurt...
cuppett777 Wrote:he is qb on the freshman team, but i think he is out hurt...

Have you seen him play? Does he look promising as a possible varsity player?
cuppett777 Wrote:he is qb on the freshman team, but i think he is out hurt...

Is he?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:...

Typical Belfry teams over the last 5-7 years would blow teams like Prestonsburg and Boyd County out of the water.

While that's a true statement, it must also be said the "Belfry teams over the last 5-7 years" were anything but typical. It's easy to be spoiled by a run of big numbers of players with exceptional talent.

Taken from a long perspective view, this year's Belfry team is closer to "typical" than what Pirate football has been since 2003.

Good luck, Pirates... !!
oneijoe Wrote:While that's a true statement, it must also be said the "Belfry teams over the last 5-7 years" were anything but typical. It's easy to be spoiled by a run of big numbers of players with exceptional talent.

Taken from a long perspective view, this year's Belfry team is closer to "typical" than what Pirate football has been since 2003.

Good luck, Pirates... !!

Even the best Belfry teams during this run struggled with early season games against teams like Lawrence County, Ashland, and even Boyd County. People seem to forget that the first State Championship Belfry team not only narrowly defeated Pburg, but they were shutout by Boyd County 19-0 in the season opener. Last season Belfry only defeated Lawrence County by a TD early in the season

Sim.ply put, Belfry is a slow starter. With that said, this Pirate team certainly is nowhere near some of the better teams of the past decade in terms of shear talent and experience, but they are far from being discounted as a factor into the 3A race.
oneijoe Wrote:While that's a true statement, it must also be said the "Belfry teams over the last 5-7 years" were anything but typical. It's easy to be spoiled by a run of big numbers of players with exceptional talent.

Good luck, Pirates... !!

Please espouse about the "typical Belfry team"........:notworthy
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Even the best Belfry teams during this run struggled with early season games against teams like Lawrence County, Ashland, and even Boyd County. People seem to forget that the first State Championship Belfry team not only narrowly defeated Pburg, but they were shutout by Boyd County 19-0 in the season opener. Last season Belfry only defeated Lawrence County by a TD early in the season

Sim.ply put, Belfry is a slow starter. With that said, this Pirate team certainly is nowhere near some of the better teams of the past decade in terms of shear talent and experience, but they are far from being discounted as a factor into the 3A race.

I agree completely...

I'm just reading some things in the thread that's making me wonder if some Belfry fans realize how special its teams were from 2003 to 2008. As such, it may not be fair to Belfry's current and near future teams to be compared to them. The caliber of talent Belfry had in that period was unparallelled in school history.

Will the Pirates continue the string of the teams of that period ? We'll all find out as the season unfolds.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Please espouse about the "typical Belfry team"........:notworthy

I did come off kinda "knowitall", didn't I ? Sorry about that... Confusedhh:

It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when the teams of Belfry from 2003-2008 are referred to as "typical Belfry teams". Current and future Belfry teams could be very good, yet not compare well to those groups. That's all...
Pages: 1 2