Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt Co. 58 Mercer Co. 24
If it was any other team in any other circumstance I could understand leaving your starting offense in while throwing if the players were inexperienced at those key positions due to needing to work on timing and such. But these guys played together last year so that should not be an issue. Poor sportsmanship once again from Holcomb IMO.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Only reason why I question it is because what if a player gets hurt in a game where his team is in total control with little time remaining.

This.

I am from the school that there is no such thing as "running up the score", if they can't stop you then it is their fault.

But, Breathitt is a team with limited depth that relies VERY heavily on 3 or 4 players. The chances of injury exponentially increase late in the game when the ballgame is out of question: focus decreases, fatigue increases, and frustration from the opponent increases.

I guess we leave that up to Holcomb, his track record certainly speaks for itself, but if Fugate or Haddix were to blow an ACL (which I pray doesn't happen) I am sure Holcomb would sing a different tune.
On a side note.. congrats to the Bobcats as they should be #1 in 3A in nearly every poll after Central was defeated by Seneca. I am also going to start a seperate thread detiling Fugate's chase of the all-time rushing record that I will update every week.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:On a side note.. congrats to the Bobcats as they should be #1 in 3A in nearly every poll after Central was defeated by Seneca. I am also going to start a seperate thread detiling Fugate's chase of the all-time rushing record that I will update every week.

Fugate once he hits the harder teams they play probly will not gain over 200 yards a game.
UCFB Wrote:Fugate once he hits the harder teams they play probly will not gain over 200 yards a game.

Maybe so, but his schedule last year wasn't a cakewalk and he stil ran for 3000 yards.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:On a side note.. congrats to the Bobcats as they should be #1 in 3A in nearly every poll after Central was defeated by Seneca. I am also going to start a seperate thread detiling Fugate's chase of the all-time rushing record that I will update every week.
i dont think breathitt beating a team ranked 100-200 in state qualifies them for 1# just yet, however central losing to a top 10 team is a different thing, we will c.
Why leave all the offense starters in? According to Brian Milam they returned pretty much everybody from last year. So Holcomb should know where they stand.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This.

I am from the school that there is no such thing as "running up the score", if they can't stop you then it is their fault.

But, Breathitt is a team with limited depth that relies VERY heavily on 3 or 4 players. The chances of injury exponentially increase late in the game when the ballgame is out of question: focus decreases, fatigue increases, and frustration from the opponent increases.

I guess we leave that up to Holcomb, his track record certainly speaks for itself, but if Fugate or Haddix were to blow an ACL (which I pray doesn't happen) I am sure Holcomb would sing a different tune.
You are 100% correct and if Haddix keeps getting pulled down from behind like he was against Mercer, I see him going out before the end of the season. The way he goes down you can see a hamstring injury coming.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Well considering that Mercer county got on a statewide television news channel and said they were going to "make an example out of breathitt county" I can see why the Breathitt coaches and players might have had a chip on their shoulders and why the starters stayed in for the whole game. Also the fourth quarter is where you see what type of shape your players are in, another reason they might haved stayed in.
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:Well considering that Mercer county got on a statewide television news channel and said they were going to "make an example out of breathitt county" I can see why the Breathitt coaches and players might have had a chip on their shoulders and why the starters stayed in for the whole game. Also the fourth quarter is where you see what type of shape your players are in, another reason they might haved stayed in.
I did not know that they did that as far as the TV thing went, that was kinda stupid.

BlackcatAlum Wrote:Congrats Bobcats!

Not sure why Holcomb left his starters in so long and where still throwing it as well when Breathitt was in total control of the game and up by 25+ points.

Very unsportsmanlike IMO.
no but prestonsburg never has run up the score have in 05 season they ran it up to 73 14 against magoffin whe they had 4 starters out and only had 17 players on the whole team
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:Well considering that Mercer county got on a statewide television news channel and said they were going to "make an example out of breathitt county" I can see why the Breathitt coaches and players might have had a chip on their shoulders and why the starters stayed in for the whole game. Also the fourth quarter is where you see what type of shape your players are in, another reason they might haved stayed in.

It is hard for me to believe the coach for Mercer County got on television and said that. If it was said, it was probably the players. Either way, the opposing coach should have enough maturity not to run the score up over something that was said. It only hurts their reputation and could also cause one of their own key players to get hurt when it is unnecessary.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:It is hard for me to believe the coach for Mercer County got on television and said that. If it was said, it was probably the players. Either way, the opposing coach should have enough maturity not to run the score up over something that was said. It only hurts their reputation and could also cause one of their own key players to get hurt when it is unnecessary.
While 34 points is bad, it is far from the level I would call running it up considering that Mercer kept playing and if Breathitt called off the dogs, MC would have made it a game quick. MC is not that bad a team, they have several good athletes.

15thfan Wrote:no but prestonsburg never has run up the score have in 05 season they ran it up to 73 14 against magoffin whe they had 4 starters out and only had 17 players on the whole team

Hey, I'm not saying that no one else does it.

I myself don't like when a team runs up the score. If the opposing team just cannot stop your JV or freshman team then I'll understand, but there's no reason in leaving your starting offense in to risk an injury when your in a comfortable lead.
Well after all thats been said about running up score, MC just wasnt in same after the 1st 14 seconds of the game Fugate put the fire out and no smoke was in the MC team,MC has a good team and all will see,But this game Bobcats was better of the two teams,Fugate and Haddix and Fletcher was the best on the field tonite,personally I couldnt why their atletes didnt show up for MC,they have way more than Bobcats do,and Jade Haddix played one of his best defensive games he has ever played he had to have 10 solo tackles and some were bone crushing and was by far the BEST defensive player out there on the field that nite and they gave it to MC player that was a shame... if you ask any that was there(Bobcats had best Offensive and Defensive players on field ) and i wonder how many will say Channing Fugate put on a Mr Football hat after this game even teams coaches from all over were saying he is sweet and so fun to watch just glad they dont have to play against them....As for playing the starters hey my only ? IS DID MC ever take theirs out and most on here are right if either one of the (3) Fletcher,Fugate or Haddix gets out its lights out on this season but as story goes Breathitt Bobcats looked super and we as fans love watching them play the game ...
Csportsman11 Wrote:Well after all thats been said about running up score, MC just wasnt in same after the 1st 14 seconds of the game Fugate put the fire out and no smoke was in the MC team,MC has a good team and all will see,But this game Bobcats was better of the two teams,Fugate and Haddix and Fletcher was the best on the field tonite,personally I couldnt why their atletes didnt show up for MC,they have way more than Bobcats do,and Jade Haddix played one of his best defensive games he has ever played he had to have 10 solo tackles and some were bone crushing and was by far the BEST defensive player out there on the field that nite and they gave it to MC player that was a shame... if you ask any that was there(Bobcats had best Offensive and Defensive players on field ) and i wonder how many will say Channing Fugate put on a Mr Football hat after this game even teams coaches from all over were saying he is sweet and so fun to watch just glad they dont have to play against them....As for playing the starters hey my only ? IS DID MC ever take theirs out and most on here are right if either one of the (3) Fletcher,Fugate or Haddix gets out its lights out on this season but as story goes Breathitt Bobcats looked super and we as fans love watching them play the game ...
Mercer had some good looking young talent, and Breathitt made several mistakes which I am sure will make for long practices this week getting ready for SC. I still think BHS was ironing out some problems on offense and using Mercer because there is not a "soft" game until district. If Breathitt had not made so many errors on offense as far as turnovers and busted plays, this game could have been much worse, it really looked as if BHS was practicing all night.

Congrats Breathitt
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Why leave all the offense starters in? According to Brian Milam they returned pretty much everybody from last year. So Holcomb should know where they stand.

In an earlier thread, I recall someone stating Breathitt was losing 7 starters for this season. Not sure of the names. I listened to the game on the radio, and remember the announcers saying a couple of 9th graders were playing a lot for Breathitt (Trent, Shouse), and that Ben Allex hadn't played in a year or so. I also heard names of Cox, Hollins, Fugate, Moore, and other non-starters in the 4th quarter. Yes, there were some starters still in the game, but plenty of inexperience too. I have no clue why Haddix, Fletcher, Fugate were still playing. But I'm sure Holcomb had his reasons other than just trying to run up the score.
I dont believe there is anything wrong with running up the score. If a team cant stop you, is that your problem? I dont think so. Its the other teams problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Wasn't at game. Don't know about running up score. Get a starter hurt late in game and see the home team howls about it.

Clair if shoe is on the other foot how would you feel about it?
If it was my team that was beaten, I would expect them to take it like men. Not talk about the score being ran up. If they couldnt stop it, they couldnt stop it period.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
C.Clair Wrote:I dont believe there is anything wrong with running up the score. If a team cant stop you, is that your problem? I dont think so. Its the other teams problem.
Score was 30-7 @ the half. MC came out and scored quickly and their sidelines were pumped saying they were back in it. From there, Breathitt outscored MC 28-10, far from running it up IMO.

Yeah, I have been told the Allex boy did set out his soph and junior years. Was told he was a heck of a player in 7, 8, and freshman years. If the scrimmage against Letcher County and the Mercer Co. game is any indication, he'll be a good one to watch. Quick and can get to the QB. Glad to see the bobcats off to a good start.
I agree with ya Bull. Breathitt did their job, Mercer didnt.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
When in the fourth quarter did he take Channing out?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:When in the fourth quarter did he take Channing out?
No, but he did not run him either. He ran # 34 and Haddix. Fugate may have had a couple carries for minimal yardage in the 4th quarter.

C.Clair Wrote:If it was my team that was beaten, I would expect them to take it like men. Not talk about the score being ran up. If they couldnt stop it, they couldnt stop it period.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Score was 30-7 @ the half. MC came out and scored quickly and their sidelines were pumped saying they were back in it. From there, Breathitt outscored MC 28-10, far from running it up IMO.

Breathitt County was up with under 4 minutes to go in the game, 51-24. Jade Haddix throws a touchdown pass to Fletcher when the game was clearly already out of hand. That is running up the score.

I like both of you guys, but you have to admit that it was running up the score and leaving your best players in this late in a game that means nothing but bragging rights and risking having Haddix, Fugate or the rest of the starters injured a very questionable decision by Holcomb & comp.

Like EKUAlum said earlier in this thread, Breathitt doesn't have much depth out side of their starters and risking an injury by keeping your starters in during a game that was out of control especially in the 1st week of the season is just silly.

I wish nothing but the best for Breathitt's football team, but that could have been a costly mistake by the Breathitt coaching staff.
C.Clair Wrote:If it was my team that was beaten, I would expect them to take it like men. Not talk about the score being ran up. If they couldnt stop it, they couldnt stop it period.

Totally agree with everything you just said..... BUT...

My concern, and BlackcatAlum is saying the same thing, is let's say next week vs. Sheldon Clark. Breathitt is up by 4 TD's late in the 4th Quarter in a game where Fugate has been his normal self running for 250 yards on 30 carries and breaking tons of tackles, "The Big Horse" is breathing heavy but still definately in good enough shape to continue playing on. For arguement sake, let's say the score is 51-24.

Just like last weekend Holcomb views the game as still having a small percentage of uncertainty, so he leaves his 3 stars in the game. This time though, as Haddix drops back to pass a better SC defensive line gets pressure. Fugate attempts to pick up the blitzer but is fatigued and not as focused due to it being so late in the game and is slightly late. In the process Fugate gets knocked back into Haddix's legs and steps on his foot as Haddix is in mid throw. As a result Haddix tears his ACL and Fugate suffers a high ankle sprain on the same play.

All of a sudden on a meaningless play you lose your star RB for 4-5 weeks and your star QB/S for the season (maybe costing him a D-1 scholarship as well).

Now this is a bit extreme, but it is completely tangible to assume the chances of injuries, in particular, severe injuries are exponentially greater at a time such as this. If Holcomb's decision to put up "style points" were to cost him one of his best players I am sure he would change his mind. To me it is risk vs. reward. Obviously Holcomb thinks the reward for adding to an already insurmountable lead obviously overrides this risk.
can everybody stop with the whole score running up thing? breathitt beat alot of teams last year and put 40-50 points on the board, and suddenly this year everyone starts complaining about it? it was a great win for breathitt county, but thats all it was, get over it and move on!!!!!
bhs all the way Wrote:can everybody stop with the whole score running up thing? breathitt beat alot of teams last year and put 40-50 points on the board, and suddenly this year everyone starts complaining about it? it was a great win for breathitt county, but thats all it was, get over it and move on!!!!!
Amen!