Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overrated/Underrated
eagle dad 2014 Wrote:Spot on SD! I wonder what the difference was in their salaries? I thought AI was in the big part of his contract. No question who came out on top with this trade. Maybe Iverson just needs a little "practice". We're talkin bout practice here!!

No AI is Now a free agent, I heard something about him going to the bobcats, and yes Chauncy did a tremendous job at the nuggets, but hes a true point guard, iversons not, hes a true scorer,
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I thought this thread was about RIGHT NOW. And the Yankees, with their $8 trillion payroll, are what? 9 games over .500 and barely ahead of Torono and the Rays for 2nd place? LOL Ive been right here pal. If the title would have been Most overrated of all time, then yeah I would see your point. But I was talking about right now. The Yankees havent been to a world series in what? 6 years, yet for every single season theyve had the highest payroll in baseball BY A LANDSLIDE. Yeah as far as overall history, theres nobody close but I wasnt talking about that..As far as the Steelers go, Im the biggest Steelers fan in the world, and Im not one of these "Steeler fans since '05" like you see running around here everywhere you look, Im a diehard. So IMO, they are the best run organization in all of sports. I never said they were overrated or underrated, so I dont really see where you are going with that. I said they were the best. And IMO, they are. Find me another team that builds their team through the draft, and reloads every position like they do when they lose somebody to free agency, yet wins every year. You wont find another organization like them. The Yankees try to buy championships every year, and still havent won one in almost a decade. I dont hate the Yankees, but facts are facts.
Well, the thread never stated whether it be of all time or now. Seein as how the Yankees were not projected to be all that great this year (at least educated sports analysts didn't think so) then I really don't think that they can be overrated. Btw, it really hasn't been a landslide that they have had the highest payroll. The 6 seasons you speak of they have had an average of 11.4 million dollars higher than the second place payroll. I do not call that a landslide. I didn't diss you being a Steelers fan either. I agree they have been good these past few years but I was talking about all time, and all time they probably wouldn't even be in the conversation with the likes of the Yankees and Canadians.
Overated
Peyton Manning: Big numbers for the fantasy geeks, losing playoff record despite winning SB 41 he rode the defense and the running game to the title should have not been the SB MVP. It should have gone to Dominic Rhodes
Jay Cutler: All he does is run his mouth and puts up numbers for the fantasy geeks.
Phillip Rivers: Some reason he is considered an elite QB. What has he won? I have heard some people rate him above Big Ben who has won 2 SB rings.
Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Needs to thank daddy for the millions of dollars he has.
Barry Bonds: Great regular season numbers. Horrible post season numbers.
Carson Palmer: Living off his college legacy
David Ortiz: He is a DH aka glorified pinch hitter
Ryan Howard: Poor average, strikes out a ton, can't field but he can be MVP
Underated
Big Ben: Two rings enough said. Still some does not consider him an elite QB.
Barry Larkin: Never flashy, always consistent and hit for a good average
Albert Pulhols: Huge numbers, should be MVP every season. ESPN has the northeast bias so he never gets any hype
Donovan McNabb: Been to a ton of NFC confernce championship games 1 SB with no running game and poor recievers. Gets ripped every season for not winning more.
Yeah, well if the Steelers spent money like the Yankees did, they'd win the superbowl every year. Its ridiculous to compare a huge market team like the Yankees (who spends more money than Asia ever year) to a small market team like the Steelers. And six superbowl titles in 43 years aint nothing to sneeze at for a small market team. Like I said, I dont hate the Yankees at all. The only team in baseball I absolutely HATE is the Atlanta Braves. But you have to admit, and I know its a sore spot, but with ALL THAT MONEY the Steinbrenners have spent, for them not to win a world series title in almost a decade, is underachieving. If we went for alltime, I would say the Braves only winning one world series title out of 14 straight pennants would mark as the biggest underachievmant in baseball. Im not dissing your Yankees, but even you have to admit that the last 8 seasons have been a letdown.
dblg11 Wrote:Well, the thread never stated whether it be of all time or now. Seein as how the Yankees were not projected to be all that great this year (at least educated sports analysts didn't think so) then I really don't think that they can be overrated. Btw, it really hasn't been a landslide that they have had the highest payroll. The 6 seasons you speak of they have had an average of 11.4 million dollars higher than the second place payroll. I do not call that a landslide. I didn't diss you being a Steelers fan either. I agree they have been good these past few years but I was talking about all time, and all time they probably wouldn't even be in the conversation with the likes of the Yankees and Canadians.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Overrated:

Player- Reggie Bush
Coach- Norv Turner

Underrated:

Player- Phillip Rivers
Coach- Mike Tomlin
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah, well if the Steelers spent money like the Yankees did, they'd win the superbowl every year. Its ridiculous to compare a huge market team like the Yankees (who spends more money than Asia ever year) to a small market team like the Steelers. And six superbowl titles in 43 years aint nothing to sneeze at for a small market team. Like I said, I dont hate the Yankees at all. The only team in baseball I absolutely HATE is the Atlanta Braves. But you have to admit, and I know its a sore spot, but with ALL THAT MONEY the Steinbrenners have spent, for them not to win a world series title in almost a decade, is underachieving. If we went for alltime, I would say the Braves only winning one world series title out of 14 straight pennants would mark as the biggest underachievmant in baseball. Im not dissing your Yankees, but even you have to admit that the last 8 seasons have been a letdown.
O ever have they been a let down. haha. I know as much as anybody. We spend all this money on A-Roid and we can't get over the hump. I don't agree with all the spending either, it's just what baseball has gone to. They need to start getting players brought up through their farm system again and they have got a decent start on that with Melky, Joba and Cano. But we should concentrate on drafting better and getting more players the right way. The steelers are a small market team but they have big supporters. They have probably as many fans as any nfl team. But the NFL has what the MLB needs, a good salary cap system. This would get baseball back to what it needs to be; average paid players who don't have to use steroids to gain extra money in free agency.
Phillip Rivers and ELI Manning the to dorks taken before my man Ben.
First off, I have seen Ben Roethlisberger listed on here numerous times as being "underrated". I don't see how, especially considering all the praise showered on him by the national media who lump him in with "elite" QB's like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Just because his TEAM won 2 Super Bowl titles, all of a sudden that makes him an elite QB?

People, just because you were the quarterback on the best TEAM does not make you an "elite" quarterback. You could have put any number of NFL QB's under center for the Steelers last year and they still would have won because of an excellent supporting cast. Their defense was awesome, and Big Ben had nothing to do with that.

I don't want to hear the "Super Bowl ring" argument either. Trent Dilfer has a ring too, while Dan Marino does not. Anyone want to argue that Dilfer was an "elite" QB, or that marino was not? Didn't think so.

Now, Hines Ward, that's a different story. He does not get nearly as much national attention as he deserves, probably because Roethlisberger seems to get all the credit. If I could pick between having either Ward or Ben on my team, I pick Ward every day and twice on Sunday.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OVERRATED: Anyone who gets labeled as an elite player because their TEAM has won a title

- Ben Roethlisberger
- Eli Manning
- Derek Jeter
- Brad Lidge

UNDERRATED: Anyone who is obviously an elite player, but doesn't get enough credit because their TEAM hasn't won a title

- Justin Morneau (Twins)
- David Wright (Mets)
- Philip Rivers
- Drew Brees
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, I have seen Ben Roethlisberger listed on here numerous times as being "underrated". I don't see how, especially considering all the praise showered on him by the national media who lump him in with "elite" QB's like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Just because his TEAM won 2 Super Bowl titles, all of a sudden that makes him an elite QB?

People, just because you were the quarterback on the best TEAM does not make you an "elite" quarterback. You could have put any number of NFL QB's under center for the Steelers last year and they still would have won because of an excellent supporting cast. Their defense was awesome, and Big Ben had nothing to do with that.

I don't want to hear the "Super Bowl ring" argument either. Trent Dilfer has a ring too, while Dan Marino does not. Anyone want to argue that Dilfer was an "elite" QB, or that marino was not? Didn't think so.

Now, Hines Ward, that's a different story. He does not get nearly as much national attention as he deserves, probably because Roethlisberger seems to get all the credit. If I could pick between having either Ward or Ben on my team, I pick Ward every day and twice on Sunday.

You hit the nail on the head about Ward. What praise are you talking about with Big Ben? He didn't even get SB MVP. He passed for nearly 300 yards, don't forget he led the team in the game winning drive in SB 43. If he would have Manning on his back, he would have been unanimous choice. I have only heard one person from the national media consider him an elite QB.The supporting cast was not excellent. The O-line was terrible. They could not block in pee wee football. It was by far the worst offensive lines to make it to the SB much less win one. Big Ben was running for his life all season. If I remember correctly, was sacked more than any QB last season. I know at one point he had been sacked more than any other QB.The running game was nonexistent especially late in the season. Ward was the only WR he had until the end of the season. He does not look as pretty as other QB's standing in the pocket. I think he looks like an uncorrdinated Fran Tarkenten running around. He always comes up in the clutch, unlike Manning. He has the most come from behind victories since he came into the league in 2004.
Julio Lugo makes 9 million a year./..As a 3rd string backup SS for the Red Sox! Now that is what you call OVERRATED!
this is the best post Ive read on here in a long time. Perfect.:Thumbs::worthy:
Jarons Wrote:You hit the nail on the head about Ward. What praise are you talking about with Big Ben? He didn't even get SB MVP. He passed for nearly 300 yards, don't forget he led the team in the game winning drive in SB 43. If he would have Manning on his back, he would have been unanimous choice. I have only heard one person from the national media consider him an elite QB.The supporting cast was not excellent. The O-line was terrible. They could not block in pee wee football. It was by far the worst offensive lines to make it to the SB much less win one. Big Ben was running for his life all season. If I remember correctly, was sacked more than any QB last season. I know at one point he had been sacked more than any other QB.The running game was nonexistent especially late in the season. Ward was the only WR he had until the end of the season. He does not look as pretty as other QB's standing in the pocket. I think he looks like an uncorrdinated Fran Tarkenten running around. He always comes up in the clutch, unlike Manning. He has the most come from behind victories since he came into the league in 2004.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Overrated - Peyton Manning. He's a great quarterback, don't get me wrong. It's just that he's not the "Amazing Hall of Famer" as he used to be (and he definitely won't be without Marvin Harrison). He won the MVP last year, but if you look at the stats, Drew Brees should've won.

Underrated - Ben Roethlisberger. Some people might say he's a clumsy and inaccurate passer. In 3 of 5 of his seasons, he's had a QB rating of 98 or higher. Plus, isn't he the youngest quarterback to win a Superbowl.