•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knott Co. Central Coach for 09/10
kryptonite Wrote:Actually, Bobby Keith is coming out of retirement and taking the KCC job. He is, also, bringing Kevin Spurlock in as his assistant. Coach Keith will be opening a new clothing store in the Holly Hills Shopping Center.
Trust me, if Bobby Keith comes out of retirement, it will be to fix the mess made by Spurlock at Clay.
Also, Steve Wright told me he hasn't been contacted by anyone associated with Knott Co.
Well yesterday, there was a new interviewee! All the talk is getting ready to come to a holt! We will know in 24 more hours whether or not....................................................................................BILLY HICKS, will be the new Knott County Coach. His name popped up early in the conversation and everyone thought it was a joke. Well he interviewed yesterday and went home to see if everything can work out. He is planning on retiring from Scott County but he doesn't want to give up coaching, so he will come to Knott to coach. Sure hope this works out for everyone involved, would love to see him back in the mountains. No word of mouth here, seen him go through the doors myself! Smile
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Well yesterday, there was a new interviewee! All the talk is getting ready to come to a holt! We will know in 24 more hours whether or not....................................................................................BILLY HICKS, will be the new Knott County Coach. His name popped up early in the conversation and everyone thought it was a joke. Well he interviewed yesterday and went home to see if everything can work out. He is planning on retiring from Scott County but he doesn't want to give up coaching, so he will come to Knott to coach. Sure hope this works out for everyone involved, would love to see him back in the mountains. No word of mouth here, seen him go through the doors myself! Smile

Uh OK. I guess you didn't read the other posts. I think we all knew that already. It was on YMT and everything.
The Pope Wrote:Uh OK. I guess you didn't read the other posts. I think we all knew that already. It was on YMT and everything.

He must be some hot water at Scott to go to Knott. No offense to Knott but that is a big step down. I think the Scott people are just tired of all the crap that comes with recruiting players. Did I hear somebody say 6 of their top 9 guys last year were transfers? If he does that at KC they will kill him that is if he cant beat HHS or PCC.
They are get the best coach in the state! He will help your program alot! He will help your kid become great young men. When it come to basketball Coach Hicks walks on water. Your players will work harder than they ever did before. It will payoff in wins. When it is said and done he will be the best high school basketball coach in Kentucky history. Scott County's lost is Knott County Central gain. Scott Co. will not be the same program without coach Hicks. :please:
:worthy: Looks like like SUPER KIM hit a grand slam getting Billy Hicks up for an interview. I bet super AC@LCC is off the hook today!!!!!!!
Wow. This is a great hire, if it happens. The only downside is that we will see an even bigger problem with recruiting in a region that is getting absolutely ridiculous in its recruitment of kids.
worker1 Wrote:Wow. This is a great hire, if it happens. The only downside is that we will see an even bigger problem with recruiting in a region that is getting absolutely ridiculous in its recruitment of kids.

If Hicks gets players to transfer and they are sketchy details about how it went down at Scott County, he should be ok at KCC. No problems there. :eyeroll:
OPPS, Guess i could of read the last page, am a little behind this morning.....

Just wondering, 1. will Billy's wife agree to move??? Why would she want to move from the area she is in now to the big city of Hindman?? And 2. What happended at Scott?? when the truth comes out, will Knott still want him around?? I've heard plenty of rumors, but not going to make any comments until the REAL truth comes out. Has to be something big for someone that has been around for so long to be forced into retirement or be fired, sure doesn't sound right to me. Good luck to all involved.

If the Scott County job comes open, I believe Hatcher and Holland would both apply and be a great candidates for that job too!
Hicks leaving Scott Co.?
Topic Author: Steve Moss
Posted: 10:23 AM May 6, 2009
Replies Posted: 0 comments

:please:

The news was shocking, to say the least. Billy Hicks, who led Scott Co. to Sweet 16 titles in 1998 and 2007, was in Hindman on Tuesday, meeting with Knott Co. Central officials about their vacant basketball coaching position. Why on earth would one of the state's premier coaches want to leave Georgetown?

Seems all is not well at Scott Co. Hicks, who recently retired, but held on to his job as coach of the Cardinals, doesn't see eye-to-eye with the county's new school superintendent, Patricia Putty, or some in the athletics department. Already, cuts have been made to the school's athletic budget, including Hicks'. Not a surprise in this time of economic uncertainty.

Word has surfaced that Hicks also must split gate revenue for all home basketball games. The Cards, one of the state's top teams each year, usually play to a packed house.

Sources tell 27 SportsFirst that Hicks has been offered the Patriots' position. Knott Co. Central would be one of the favorites to win the 14th Region next season. The school last played in a Sweet 16 in 1993, so word of Hicks' appearance at the school spread like wildfire.

Hicks would be returning to his roots. A native of Evarts, in Harlan Co., Hicks made a name for himself in the mountains, including stops at Cawood and Corbin. His fast pace brand of basketball, with in-your-face defense has become a staple at Scott Co. and would instantly be a hit in Eastern Kentucky. Again.

Sources say the coach also would be allowed to hire his son, Tyler, who played at Scott Co.

The result could mean a shift in power in the 11th Region. Scott Co. likely will be the overwhelming choice as the state's top ranked team next season. The Cards return all but big man Richie Phares, who will walk-on at Louisville. The Cards could even be one of the nation's top-rated squads.

Should Hicks leave, the new coach at Scott Co. likely will have to become a faculty member and teach classes, thanks to the county's budget issues. That might prevent the school system from hitting a home run in its search for someone to replace a man who's won more than 600 games. Hicks has built the Cardinals into one of the state's most powerful programs and, to be sure, any opening in Georgetown would attract a boatload of qualified candidates.

Of course, Hicks could return for another season at Scott Co. His team was the prohibitive favorite to win it all this past season, but a knee injury to Phares might have prevented the Cardinals from a return trip to Rupp Arena and the state tournament. With Hicks on the sidelines next season, the bullseye falls squarely on Scott Co. again, but you'd have to like their chances of playing on Saturday night in late March.

It should prove to be an interesting next few weeks in Georgetown.

Those are the highlights... Stay tuned.
Looks like Scott County has a new Supe, as well. Could be why Hicks could be leaving Scott Co. Still, if he is hired to coach KCC, he will last one season. I am sticking to the fact that he won't be able to do what he did at Scott, and it will be the same at KCC. You have to do what daddy says or else. I don't see a high caliber coach like him taking this position.

One more thing, I think this hire is for one thing and one thing only. This is why we are seeing these top name coaches on the list of coaching candidates for KCC's HC job. That reason is, is to get them to state so that a couple of kids can be seen. I have a little reality check for these dad's. If your kid is good enough, they don't need to be seen at Rupp. They are already on a "hit" list with scouts. I've been dealing with scouts for years and know the ropes. So, getting a big name coach may help a little, but if the kid isn't DI caliber, then he's not. No amount of great coaching is going to change that. Just have to have the talent.
Horrible move if he decides to go to Knott CO!
Aslan Wrote:Horrible move if he decides to go to Knott CO!

someone a little scared? :baby:
PATS2011 Wrote:someone a little scared? :baby:
I'd say not scared, just being truthful.
Aslan Wrote:Horrible move if he decides to go to Knott CO!

I would kind of like to see him take the job, but you're probably right.
PATS2011 Wrote:someone a little scared? :baby:

You said the same thing this past season, and we all know how that played out. That being said, I hope Hicks does take the job.
What kind of mess has Spurlock created at Clay? Just because he hasn't won a regional title yet in his 3 years means there's a mess? Nowadays, it's just a little kinda hard to win playing against teams who have the experience, i.e. Corbin and South Laurel, when you're playing the young kids to build things back up. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the cupboard was sorta left bare by the coach before Spurlock, and he still won 20 games and the district 2 years in a row against a team who was picked by MANY to win both the district and region, Jackson Co. In fact, a different bounce here or there, and Clay would've beaten both Cumberland and South Laurel in the regions 2 out of the last 3 years. But those are the breaks. You shooting your mouth off like that is just plain idiotic because you don't see the BIG PICTURE!!!

As for Hicks going to Knott, it won't happen because his wife will NOT move back to the mountains. And that is the most important thing!!
Just got word from my people Coach Billy Hicks will be at Scott County one more year!
daredevil4life Wrote:What kind of mess has Spurlock created at Clay? Just because he hasn't won a regional title yet in his 3 years means there's a mess? Nowadays, it's just a little kinda hard to win playing against teams who have the experience, i.e. Corbin and South Laurel, when you're playing the young kids to build things back up. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the cupboard was sorta left bare by the coach before Spurlock, and he still won 20 games and the district 2 years in a row against a team who was picked by MANY to win both the district and region, Jackson Co. In fact, a different bounce here or there, and Clay would've beaten both Cumberland and South Laurel in the regions 2 out of the last 3 years. But those are the breaks. You shooting your mouth off like that is just plain idiotic because you don't see the BIG PICTURE!!!

As for Hicks going to Knott, it won't happen because his wife will NOT move back to the mountains. And that is the most important thing!!

It looks like you don't have a clue about what's happened at Clay. The cubbard was not bare at all. The first year he played some seniors that really shouldn't have played and took them to the region. He should have beat Cumberland but slowed the game down and got beat by a much bigger team who he should have beat handily. He can't beat Steve Wright plain and simple.
He has had at least 10 players quit over the last two years including probably three starters. This past season, he should have had a senior oriented team consisting of a middle school group that was state runner up in the 7th grade AAU as well as middle school state ,and nationally ranked that summer. I think they had 3 kids move to varsity as 8th graders. Guess how many kids on that team are playing now, O none. They have been young the last few years out of necessity because no will play for him. Everybody is tired of "we are young." excuse.
Clay Co averaged less than 200 fans per game last season at home with less than 100 at their own tournament one game. He has alienated former players and coaches and the sponsors won't donate money. The booster club had to raise money the last two years. Never had to before.
He has also caused controversy in games vs North and Jackson Co.
I just think Todd Messer or Jerry Combs should be coach. If you are going to lose, lose with your own.
I GUESS THE BIG PICTURE IS ALOT MORE CLEAR NOW!!
Coach Hicks just met with the Scott County team and is staying put for the next season. OK start looking for another coach! I got mine.:please:
goldenrule19 Wrote:Coach Hicks just met with the Scott County team and is staying put for the next season. OK start looking for another coach! I got mine.:please:

goldenrule19 is right on the money. Hicks is staying at Scott County. Hicks made it sound like he took a joy ride to Hindman and came home. I think he might be a little embarrassed things got out the way they did. KCC will continue to search...
It is a shame that Knott does not have a coach now. amburgey did a good job. Hicks would have been a good hire. But the Pats need a coach. What is the deal? Who KNOWS?????????????????????????
daredevil4life Wrote:What kind of mess has Spurlock created at Clay? Just because he hasn't won a regional title yet in his 3 years means there's a mess? Nowadays, it's just a little kinda hard to win playing against teams who have the experience, i.e. Corbin and South Laurel, when you're playing the young kids to build things back up. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the cupboard was sorta left bare by the coach before Spurlock, and he still won 20 games and the district 2 years in a row against a team who was picked by MANY to win both the district and region, Jackson Co. In fact, a different bounce here or there, and Clay would've beaten both Cumberland and South Laurel in the regions 2 out of the last 3 years. But those are the breaks. You shooting your mouth off like that is just plain idiotic because you don't see the BIG PICTURE!!!

Happy WIFE = Happy LIFE!!!!
Who is Knott County going to offer a job to next??
fanatic11 Wrote:Who is Knott County going to offer a job to next??

Billy Clyde :biggrin:
Jeter_theman Wrote:So... who's the AD now?

Kim King
Some people need to grow up.
HUB Wrote:Gary and Jim Stepp will be the new co-coaches at KCC. They are bringing Clint Stepp in to add some outside shooting. They are,also, going to petition the KHSAA to give Jon Howard one more year of eligibility and he will be coming over to finish out his 11th year of high school.

Amd how does CLint get elgible???
My hat is off to Knott County Central for going after Billy Hicks, Bill Runyon, and Rodney Woods. To me this shows they are setting their sites high and taking their basketball program seriously. KCC may be my new 14 region favorite team. I hope they get a great coach in the end.
rojas Wrote:My hat is off to Knott County Central for going after Billy Hicks, Bill Runyon, and Rodney Woods. To me this shows they are setting their sites high and taking their basketball program seriously. KCC may be my new 14 region favorite team. I hope they get a great coach in the end.

Good post
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next