Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Calipari Reportedly Interested in UK
I was for Calipari when Tubby left and I still want him here. If these reports are true, it would be smart to get this done before the week is up. UK must get something done quick and ease the minds of the players and recruits.
Stardust Wrote:First someone has to ante up the $6M it's cost to buyout BCG's contract. The't going to be a huge up-front bonus to get a JC, BD or Izzo. I beleive this will be the largest one year spend in History for a college to spend on a coaching position. I heard it was close to 5 million with the buyout of Daugherty/1st year compensation of Williams.

As for BCG, he was making in the neighborhood of $300K from the school. There was close to $2M in outside payments in his contract. So whoever comes in, will be making that much or more. Add that to the $6M, and you have close to $10M in salary for a Basketball coach at a state school. I'm doing everything in my power to send my daughter to college, and preparing for my son in two years, yet the cost of college expenses are rising faster than I can keep up with. Where's the justice????

barnhardt said in the press conference that gillispie would be compensated, but not to the tune of 6 mil
Just heard on WLAP that Calipari is interested and is meeting "early this week" with "UK officials". Ted Wurbin just reported this, I hope this isn't a repeat of information, but I thought I would share for those interested.
Stardust Wrote:First someone has to ante up the $6M it's cost to buyout BCG's contract. The't going to be a huge up-front bonus to get a JC, BD or Izzo. I beleive this will be the largest one year spend in History for a college to spend on a coaching position. I heard it was close to 5 million with the buyout of Daugherty/1st year compensation of Williams.

As for BCG, he was making in the neighborhood of $300K from the school. There was close to $2M in outside payments in his contract. So whoever comes in, will be making that much or more. Add that to the $6M, and you have close to $10M in salary for a Basketball coach at a state school. I'm doing everything in my power to send my daughter to college, and preparing for my son in two years, yet the cost of college expenses are rising faster than I can keep up with. Where's the justice????

Because UK basketball generates enough revenue to pay for the coach. It does not come from taxpayers dollars.