Poll: Next Coach at Kentucky?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
John Calipari (Memphis)
29.35%
Rick Pitino (Louisville)
13.04%
Billy Donovan (Florida)
26.09%
Jay Wright (Villanova)
5.43%
Travis Ford (Oklahoma State)
16.30%
Other...
9.78%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the next coach at Kentucky?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Why and how could you not want John Calipari?

This guy is the real deal.

The guy is the real deal if you want a corrupt and eventually probation laden program. He is a sleazy pimp.
MVP2 Wrote:I would rather have John Pelphrey over Travis Ford.

I wouldn't want either one of them because of their lack of experience. But, it looks like these are our two options. I would rather have Pelphrey than Ford myself.
FBALL Wrote:The guy is the real deal if you want a corrupt and eventually probation laden program. He is a sleazy pimp.

But seriously FBALL, how do you feel....

I love your posts :Thumbs:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I wouldn't want either one of them because of their lack of experience. But, it looks like these are our two options. I would rather have Pelphrey than Ford myself.

I agree, I want someone that is more experienced. I agree with you on Calipari too, I would want him over Pelphrey and Ford. I was just saying I would rather have Pelphrey over Ford.
FBALL Wrote:The guy is the real deal if you want a corrupt and eventually probation laden program. He is a sleazy pimp.

Well, exactly how many big name coaches do you think don't cheat? Who would have ever thought that future hall-of-famer Jim Calhoun cheated in his recruitment?
just like to say if and it won't happen but ricky P would match of a lifetime AGAIN. but it wont happen!!!
Obviously if possible I would have loved to have landed Billy Donovan here at UK. He has won 345 games over the last 15 seasons, with 2 titles and a NCAA Runner Up in 2000. However it appears we have little to zero shot of luring him away.

John Calipari is another obvious favorite for obvious reasons. He wins 30 games each year at Memphis and is arguably the best recruiter in the country. He does however feel pretty comfortable at Memphis so UK may not be able to lure him away, but if so he could create a powerhouse at Kentucky for years to come. Mitch will throw a ton of money to Calipari, but it is very up in the air as if he will accept it. He has a somewhat shady past at UMASS and Memphis, but also gets the job done and appears to be a clone of Pitino as far as the social aspects go. He would handle the pressure at UK with ease.

Other than those two coaches, it is a complete toss up as to who Kentucky could hire or perhaps who would take the job. So I'll run through some possibilities and give my thoughts on them.

If not Donovan or Calipari, I don't think Ford is quite ready but he is however the safety net for UK. Todd and Mitch know that Travis Ford would accept the job if they can not lure any bigger name coaches away and this would be the safest hire to please the fan base. (Former player @ UK, from Kentucky) but he has only been to the NCAA Tournament twice, never making it out of the 2nd round.

My #1 pick for UK to hire outside of Calipari and Donovan is sort of a surprise coach, which is Sean Miller out of Xavier. Sean Miller is a young coach he was an assistant under Herb Sindeck and Thad Matta before taking over at Xavier in 2004-2005. He is more proven than Billy G. was, and is getting at done at an Atlantic 10 school. He took his team to the Elite 8 last season, and the Sweet 16 this year nearly upsetting #1 seed Pittsburgh. Miller is a great coach and recruiter, and seems to be strong willed enough to handle the pressure at UK.

2004–2005 Xavier 17-12 10-6
2005–2006 Xavier 21-11 8-8 NCAA 1st Round
2006–2007 Xavier 25-9 13-3 NCAA 2nd Round
2007–2008 Xavier 30-7 14-2 NCAA Elite Eight
2008–2009 Xavier 26-7 12-4 NCAA Sweet 16

John Pelphrey is a name being thrown around just a slight bit, but once again perhaps not enough experience or success to land a job like Kentucky just yet. A great option later on in his career, but at this point he has only been to two tournaments, failing to make it past the 2nd round. Not much of a chance they go after him.

Jay Wright's name gets mentioned from time to time, but he too has mentioned his desire to stay at Villanova and continue his success there. He has an interesting style of play (small, fast, great shooters) and has taken his team to a couple of Elite 8's in his time at Nova. At this point it is hard to say if Wright is a serious candidate, but if considered would be a solid and safe option to build success at Kentucky

Mark Few is a name I've seen out there that a few people have put out there, but I don't believe he is being considered as a serious option. He wins quite a few games and gets a decent seed at Zaga each year, but fails to make it past the Sweet 16 every year. I don't think Few is a serious candidate or should be.

Pitino, yeah right.

Tom Izzo would be a great option, but another coach who is quite pleased with where he currently is and enjoying success there. He has 3 Final Fours under his belt, plus a National Title. He runs a clean program, and would represent the University well which is important to Lee Todd at this juncture. But as I mentioned the chances of him leaving are slim.

Rick Barnes is another realistic option. He is a great recruiter and has had some success at Texas but many fans seem to be against him at all costs. He's got a Final Four under his resume and a couple other Elite 8's. Recruited players such as Kevin Durant and appears to run a good clean program. I wouldn't be upset with this hire.

That's about it for now, but as of now I think Sean Miller would be an amazing option and would be able to get it done here for years to come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well, exactly how many big name coaches do you think don't cheat and get away with it? Who would have ever thought that future hall-of-famer Jim Calhoun cheated in his recruitment?

I would have.

There are some guys out there that you know are not even trying to follow the rule just get by without getting Caught. Calipari and Calhoun are two of the shadiest characters in college athletics. One is a greasy pimp and one is a thug who is comming to collect protection money.
FBALL Wrote:I would have.

There are some guys out there that you know are not even trying to follow the rule just get by without getting Caught. Calipari and Calhoun are two of the shadiest characters in college athletics. One is a greasy pimp and one is a thug who is comming to collect protection money.

:Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:
FBALL Wrote:IF it is Ford or Calapari I will be finding a new team.

yeah man good call, who would ever want calipari? i mean someone who has got players like, Dejuan Wagner, Rodney Carney, Darius Washington,Chris Douglas Roberts, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Xavier Henry, possibly John Wall. yeah i would deff. not want him. those players suck and calipari has never done good with memphis.
memphistiger Wrote:yeah man good call, who would ever want calipari? i mean someone who has got players like, Dejuan Wagner, Rodney Carney, Darius Washington,Chris Douglas Roberts, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Xavier Henry, possibly John Wall. yeah i would deff. not want him. those players suck and calipari has never done good with memphis.

Listen, that's just one fan's crazy opinion. Let me tell ya that the majority of UK fans WANT Calipari BADLY!!!!!!:please: :please: :please: :please:
UKCAT5FAN Wrote:Listen, that's just one fan's crazy opinion. Let me tell ya that the majority of UK fans WANT Calipari BADLY!!!!!!:please: :please: :please: :please:

i understand, i just dont understand how people could not want a good coach and one of the top 3 recruiting coaches in america. i love memphis, but id love to take memphis players and put them in UK jerseys so i could have the satisfaction of beating teams like louisville,florida,carolina, every year. and if he became the coach, those all would be realistic possibilities.
memphistiger Wrote:i understand, i just dont understand how people could not want a good coach and one of the top 3 recruiting coaches in america. i love memphis, but id love to take memphis players and put them in UK jerseys so i could have the satisfaction of beating teams like louisville,florida,carolina, every year. and if he became the coach, those all would be realistic possibilities.

Not only top 3, he is the BEST recruiting coach in America. Calipari would come in and turn this Kentucky program around quicker than any other coach in the league. He has the mental capacity to deal with being the head coach at Kentucky as Dickie V said yesterday on ESPN.

I'm telling you posters, this is the man for the job.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Not only top 3, he is the BEST recruiting coach in America. Calipari would come in and turn this Kentucky program around quicker than any other coach in the league. He has the mental capacity to deal with being the head coach at Kentucky as Dickie V said yesterday on ESPN.

I agree. He would be perfect for this job.
memphistiger Wrote:yeah man good call, who would ever want calipari? i mean someone who has got players like, Dejuan Wagner, Rodney Carney, Darius Washington,Chris Douglas Roberts, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Xavier Henry, possibly John Wall. yeah i would deff. not want him. those players suck and calipari has never done good with memphis.
I believe that was sarcasm.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Not only top 3, he is the BEST recruiting coach in America. Calipari would come in and turn this Kentucky program around quicker than any other coach in the league. He has the mental capacity to deal with being the head coach at Kentucky as Dickie V said yesterday on ESPN.

well hopefully UK throws the whole house at him cause that would be the only way he'd leave. look where he is right now with memphis i believe if he got up to where pitino had it he will try the next step. but i would rather be there that way than no way!
THIS IS KILLING ME!!!!!! Mitch should have already had a replacement before this went public, maybe he already has a replacement, but they need to let us know something so we can agree with the new hire or ***** about it!

:Thumbs: :Clap:
It's Donovan. He learned from the master at denying rumors.
I would like to see UK go after Pelphrey or Mike Anderson. Both like a pressing fast paced style of play that would endear them to the fans and players.
Call me crazy but I'd like to see Rick Pitino back in Lexington.
Colonel Kill Wrote::Thumbs: :Clap:
TOTALLY 100% AGREE!
EOE Wrote:THIS IS KILLING ME!!!!!! Mitch should have already had a replacement before this went public, maybe he already has a replacement, but they need to let us know something so we can agree with the new hire or ***** about it!

By not making an announcement, makes me feel more and more that it was someome still in the tournament as of Friday.
sherman14 Wrote:Call me crazy but I'd like to see Rick Pitino back in Lexington.
You're crazy.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

The only way Pitino would ever come back to Kentucky is if they played upon his ego and made the case that look at what has happened to the "Empire" you once built up. The Huns have burned it. All hail Rick.

I don't think that will ever happen but if I were Barnhart that is the way I would pitch it to him.
Stardust Wrote:By not making an announcement, makes me feel more and more that it was someome still in the tournament as of Friday.

I disagree. I really think they have backed themselves into a cornor.

That is why I keep pushing for Pelphrey. He is the one guy that would have the passion and appreciation for what UK basketball is. He coaches a style of play that the UK fan base wants and in many ways he is part of that fan base.

He would never do anything to blacken the eye of the University that he dreamed of playing for and later realized that dream as one of the most beloved players in that programs history. He has learned the college game playing for Pitino and cutting his coaching teeth under Donovan. He has experience and success at USA and Arkansas.
I think he would be given much more lee way by the boosters and Big Blue nation, embracing the job and living yet another dream.

Of course at UK they could run him off in 2 years.:devilflam
:Thumbs: TongueirateSho
sherman14 Wrote:Call me crazy but I'd like to see Rick Pitino back in Lexington.

But it wont happend!
FBALL Wrote:I disagree. I really think they have backed themselves into a cornor.

That is why I keep pushing for Pelphrey. He is the one guy that would have the passion and appreciation for what UK basketball is. He coaches a style of play that the UK fan base wants and in many ways he is part of that fan base.

He would never do anything to blacken the eye of the University that he dreamed of playing for and later realized that dream as one of the most beloved players in that programs history. He has learned the college game playing for Pitino and cutting his coaching teeth under Donovan. He has experience and success at USA and Arkansas.
I think he would be given much more lee way by the boosters and Big Blue nation, embracing the job and living yet another dream.

Of course at UK they could run him off in 2 years.:devilflam

I tend to agree with you, but I'm hopeful
I will tell you I hope they get Jeff Capel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
I'm all for John P. I just don't see it happening though.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026035

- Allow Pitino a couple of suggestions: John Pelphrey and Travis Ford, guys with talent and deep Kentucky roots, if not lofty credentials.

- Ford is from Madisonville, played point guard for Pitino in the early 1990s and just led Oklahoma State to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Pelphrey, from eastern Kentucky, was a small forward for Pitino's first Wildcat teams and is the head coach at Arkansas.

Pitino doesn't doubt they love their current gigs. He also doesn't doubt they'd jump at a chance to come back home.

- Michigan State 's Tom Izzo certainly won some Kentucky fans Sunday when the Spartans dominated hated Louisville in the Midwest Regional finals of the NCAA tournament. Izzo, while allowing it'd be unwise to never say never, seems plenty happy where he's at.

- Memphis coach John Calipari has the track record, though there are some who wonder if the provocative coach would project the right image for a program that still cringes at the recruiting scandal that left the Wildcats in disarray 20 years ago.