Poll: Who would you choose now as UK Coach?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Stay with Billy Gillispie
63.46%
Should've picked John Pelphrey
36.54%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Clyde or John Pelphrey Now?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Ask recruits when was the last time UK won a national title? I dare say the response would surprise you. Ask high school kids how many titles UK has won? Ask current UK players who Cameron Mills is?

Most kids don't care about history because they weren't a part of it and are too arrogant to understand.

Joe Crawford said in 2005 what won him over to go to Kentucky was the "winning tradition".
What happened to all the Pelphrey fanatics?? Did they already jump off his bandwagon after that loss?? Big Grin
His Razorbacks only have two losses this season compared to our 4, he has 2 wins over top 10 teams and we haven't beat anyone in the top 25.....I don't necessarily think those "fanatics" have jumped off the bandwagon, but I think people are getting tired of the comparisons....we all need to support our CURRENT coach and wish for the success of our NEXT coach.
I would have given Pelphrey the job in a heartbeat he knows the tradition and what basketball means to everyone in Kentucky. Billy to me seems to still not grasp what Kentucky basketball is or means he takes some of those losses to teams like Miami, Santa Diego, Houston, and Gardner Webb all of those way to easy.
Money Maker Wrote:What happened to all the Pelphrey fanatics?? Did they already jump off his bandwagon after that loss?? Big Grin

I guess a loss to Ole Miss validates your opinion? Big Grin

I hate to break it to you but at this point in the year, Arkansas has a better chance of going to the NCAA tournament than UK. AT THIS POINT.
Billy Clyde is doing a wonderful job at Kentucky.
Unless something drastic happens with him, I expect him to be around for quite some time!
However, I do strongly believe that Pelphry is definitely next in line if something were to occur.
I like BCG... He ain't going anywhere either....I like Pelphrey, but BCG has no ties at all to Pitino...haha
Money Maker Wrote:Is this even a question that needs to be asked?? Look at the recruits that Gillispie has coming in and look at Arkansas's and tell me whose is better.

I would rather have billy G but its alot easier for a coach at kentucky to recruit then it is for a coach at arkansas to recruit.
[quote=Stardust]Very good post.

I have not watched enough of Arkansas to know how they play every game, but in the last two that I have seen, they play with intense effort. That is a missing ingredient with UK. That IMO, is all coach.

I'm not knocking BG, he is the right guy for the job. But what I am asking for is to increase the effort. Too much inconsistency on the defensive end for my liking. When PP gets frustrated, he can take plays off. Many people have posted that Miller plays "lazy". Meeks can be very inconsistent with his effort on both sides of the ball.

I don't know what your talking about kentucky plays with alot of intensity. Theywere beating georgia to death with like a minute left an kentucky was still diving after loose balls. They were swatting balls everywhere there like 3r in the county in blocks per game. I don't see how you think the cats are lazy.
Panther Thunder Wrote:FSU in everything first, then Arkansas basketball. Big Grin

Guess your not used to winning if you like those two teams.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Give Pelphrey some time, his recruiting classes will rival that of UNC and Duke in a few years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA LMAO
I'd be satisfied with either of these guys. Both great coaches and both are going to win lots of games. But I'm happy with BCG, he is, if not the best recruiter out there.
herd_fan_1 Wrote:Stay with Gillespie. The guy is a good coach and can recruit like crazy. Is Arkansas gonna win a title this year? no! are they next? no! THe year after? no! Kentucky going to win this year? probally not. Next year? they have a shot? Year after? its theres to lose!!!! What Im saying is just cause he is winning right know doesnt mean he is going to continue to win and turn Arkansas into a national power.

You are right he can recruit like crazy Mr. Ky basketball, Top Ten Guard in Liggens, Top big man in liggens, but what happend when they got there nothing yet. Give him time maybe 6 to 7 years and maybe a SEC championship and Final FourWink
jammin' jamey Wrote:Don't you think that "winning now" is a whole lot more appealing to an incoming recruit?

I agree neither team is anywhere near national title contender status, but "winning now" leads to better recruiting and increasing your chances of being a national contender.

Arkansas is winning with less talent than Kentucky right now and it's a direct result of coaching, chemistry and desire to win.
Winning now is a whole lot more improtant and I bet VMI (at Rupp) helped that out alot and UNC ( on the road) and Miami at Rupp and Louisville helped. But like I said maybe by Liggens and Millers Senior year they will hopefully have a Sec championship under there belt
jammin' jamey Wrote:Don't you think that "winning now" is a whole lot more appealing to an incoming recruit?

I agree neither team is anywhere near national title contender status, but "winning now" leads to better recruiting and increasing your chances of being a national contender.

Arkansas is winning with less talent than Kentucky right now and it's a direct result of coaching, chemistry and desire to win.
I have to comment Louisville won is that a direct result of coaching, chemistry and desire to win.Big Grin
Gillispies ddesire to win yeah Liggens refusing to sit out a game in Nevada and against Tennessee and the very next games setting record time playing thats a good coach and discipline right there now
theVILLE Wrote:Gillispies ddesire to win yeah Liggens refusing to sit out a game in Nevada and against Tennessee and the very next games setting record time playing thats a good coach and discipline right there now

Edgar Sosa has been disciplined too hasn't he?Rolleyes

Just post about who the better coach would be..Gillispie or Pelphrey.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I guess a loss to Ole Miss validates your opinion? Big Grin

I hate to break it to you but at this point in the year, Arkansas has a better chance of going to the NCAA tournament than UK. AT THIS POINT.

Well, they don't now. What do you think of Pelphrey now?
theVILLE Wrote:Winning now is a whole lot more improtant and I bet VMI (at Rupp) helped that out alot and UNC ( on the road) and Miami at Rupp and Louisville helped. But like I said maybe by Liggens and Millers Senior year they will hopefully have a Sec championship under there belt

Looks like you wouldn't know what being a senior feels like with all these incomplete and run-on sentences. It's getting hard to read a 10 line paragraph with 0 periods.
I respect John Pelphrey, but I'm very glad Barnhardt hired coach Billy Gillispie.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I respect John Pelphrey, but I'm very glad Barnhardt hired coach Billy Gillispie.

Yeah same here. Pelphrey would have been the 2nd man for the job if BCG didn't come around.