Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 2009
BCHBOBCAT Wrote:Hey, has anyone heard that the Mike Howard for Bell county is leaving after this year. I just heard it that was asked to come to the Bears. Hugh, if he leaves thats a big deal for Bell if that one leaves. I hope its wrong. If anyone knows tell anything let me know I am shocked. I have said it, he is the O-line and top man in my list. Hope this is not true for the bobcats.

Careful, even though you are from Bell, watch about posting that someone ask him to come to Harlan.:yikes:
Box Top Wrote:Hey Zone Read, how well did Covington Catholic and Highlands do playing little old mountain teams like Rockcastle County and Johnson Central. Rock beat them both and put a running clock on them and beat CCHS also. Then JC beat CCHS to death this year.

This was one of the worst teams Cov Cath has ever had so I would not brag about that, and yes, Rock beat HHS, but it is old history! Let's hear about something recent. One victory does not mean you play football as well as NKY. Yes there might be another Mountain team to beat HHS, but never on a routine basis.
palmer Wrote:I don't think it was the Harlan County fans who brought up Highlands.

I hope you are as good as you are saying you are, because I would like better games then LCC and Whitley have been. Good luck this year in 5A and hope to see you make it up north.
I have to agree. I have said that LCC, Harlan and other 5a have know idea what Highlands are about. However, just because you are up north, means nothing to me. Norhtern Ky football can come down here anytime. We love to have them on Log Mountain.
Snare43 Wrote:I have to agree. I have said that LCC, Harlan and other 5a have know idea what Highlands are about. However, just because you are up north, means nothing to me. Norhtern Ky football can come down here anytime. We love to have them on Log Mountain.

It's been said before, but I guess it needs to be said AGAIN, nobody from Harln Co. brought up Highlands in this thread. I feel comfortable enough to speak for LCC and Harlan Co both in saying that both these programs know exactly what Highlands football is about. Their record speaks for itself.

That being said, our players and coaches in Harlan County are working diligently to improve every day. Our boys have a goal just like every other football team in the state. Despite what some would suggest, I think we'll just continue to play football here in the mountains and work hard to make a run for that state championship. As shocking as it may be, the 2009 5A state championship trophy doesn't have Highland's name printed on it. That's why they play the game.

Our neigbors in Bell County have an opening for a game this year. Perhaps Highlands could mapquest their way to Log Mountain. Our team will be making a visit there this year. Our players and the fans are looking forward to this rivalry for years to come. I believe that we are in for another exciting year here in Harlan County. Make no mistake about it, our program is on the rise.
Amen Mama Bear!!!!
Let's also keep in mind that Letcher Central and Harlan County are new schools. I would guess that Highlands didn't start winning championships when they just formed a program. And like Mama Bear said we never mentioned highlands. They do get my respect because they have won championships but they haven't won them all! I look forward to Harlan County vs highlands someday.
MR.Amazeing Wrote:j.w here wats your all thoughts about tucker lewis and jordan turner being in the freshmen and jv's backfeild nextyear, how do u think its gonna work out?

I believe Tucker Lewis will be spending a lot of his time on the varsity team.
Patriot Wrote:Let's also keep in mind that Letcher Central and Harlan County are new schools. I would guess that Highlands didn't start winning championships when they just formed a program. And like Mama Bear said we never mentioned highlands. They do get my respect because they have won championships but they haven't won them all! I look forward to Harlan County vs highlands someday.

First Harlan must play them to truley understand.

Most important Harlan and LCC are NOT new to football. Make no mistake Whitesburg, Fleming Neon, Cumberland, Evarts, and Cawood has played for a very long time and have been very tradition rich programs. They are NOT new programs. Coaches bring new kids together every year, they knew how to play the game.
Snare43 Wrote:First Harlan must play them to truley understand.

Most important Harlan and LCC are NOT new to football. Make no mistake Whitesburg, Fleming Neon, Cumberland, Evarts, and Cawood has played for a very long time and have been very tradition rich programs. They are NOT new programs. Coaches bring new kids together every year, they knew how to play the game.

Interesting point.

But as a Highlands fan, I agree this thread is about Harlan County, not Highlands. I agree that the road to a state championship will likely run through Highlands, although one wouldn't be wise in discounting Dixie Heights' and Johnson Central's chances of beating Highlands. Both schools will be very good this year.

What type of O will Harlan run this year? Didn't Larkey come from Rockcastle? If I recall properly from the butt whipping laid on us back in 2002, Rockcastle ran a power running offense back then. Assuming Larkey was the Rock's coach back then, I'd assume that he is doing the same thing at Harlan.

Both Johnson Central and Whitley had a lot of success running the ball against Highlands this past year (although Highlands had lost its most physical lber by then and if he'd have played, I doubt they'd have had as much success). But none the less, Johnson Central and Whitley proved that Highlands 3-5-3 defense is vulnerable to power running games. If Harlan has a power running game and matches up with Highlands, I think Harlan will be able to move the ball. I don't think they'll be able to move it as well as Rockcastle did in 2002 though as Highlands defensive coordinator has learned a lot since then (2002 was his first year as the coordinator). The issue in that potential matchup, in my opinion, will be, as it was with Johnson Central and Whitley, whether they can stop Highlands O. Highlands ran the ball well and had a quick strike passing game. This year it will be even more explosive than it was last year.

How confident do the Harlan fans feel about making it deep enough in the playoffs to match up with Highlands?
Harlan Co. is a new school not new to football. They had lots of sucess in Harlan Co. such as the Lynch teams in the 60's, Cawood in the 70's early 80's, and Coach Randy Frazier's teams at C'land were also very good in the early-mid 90's.

IMO Whitley will be the best 5A team in this part of the state again next year.
Evarts and Scotty Russell teams were also pretty good with Coach Music and Coach Cole. Point being...football is nothing new to Harlan County or LCC. When folks say we are a new school (have heard this more than once in both communities) not the case at all when it comes to football.
Snare43 Wrote:Evarts and Scotty Russell teams were also pretty good with Coach Music and Coach Cole. Point being...football is nothing new to Harlan County or LCC. When folks say we are a new school (have heard this more than once in both communities) not the case at all when it comes to football.

Coach Saylor and Coach Cain had Cumberland in the finals 3 times.....so the point (excuse) new school, referring to football, can't go there. Maybe I'm wrong..... but it does sound an excuse when people say that.

Coach Gose, Coach Searcy, and Coach Chandler at Whitesburg had some very good teams.
Coach Hall and others @ Fleming Neon also...

My point is...while these are very talent rich counties, football has been a mainstay for years, it will be a while before Highlands is threatened. Different level.
I'll agree with the Bell County faithful that Harlan County isn't new to football. The players are certainly not new to football. The assistant coaches are far from being new to football. Coach Larkey is not new to football, but you knew that I'm sure. What is new for the players are the system he runs. It's been a learning process for the kids and they have adapted and will adapt even more as time goes on. Also, it was a new experience for all 3 of our high schools in the county to merge into one. The "newness" of everything last year was exciting and kinda scary for the boys. That time has passed and they are settled in now.

I don't really get all the negativity from our Bell County brethren. Looks like you guys would be glad to finally have some neighborhood kids willing to to play. Corbin and Middlesboro don't want to rumble with you all for whatever reason. You all should be thankful that there's a new kid in town that's not afraid to get in there and kick up some dust with ya. We fans can look forward to watching many battles in the future.
Quote:How confident do the Harlan fans feel about making it deep enough in the playoffs to match up with Highlands?
To answer this question, the Black Bear Nation is full of eternal optimists. Wink

We feel like we can compete in 5A . Beating Whitley and Letcher County to get out of our district will be a task. It's our players, coaches, and community's goal to see our team go play for that championship in Dec. I feel like we have the coaching and manpower to play with anyone on our schedule. It's going to be exciting to see how far we've come since last year. The boys are working hard during this off season. Can't wait to see what results we will get to see on the field this Fall!
It is not negativity. We look forward to the matchup. It is reality when it comes to Highlands. It is when some, not you MAMA, use what seem to be excuses sometimes and say we are new.
Snare43 Wrote:It is not negativity. We look forward to the matchup. It is reality when it comes to Highlands. It is when some, not you MAMA, use what seem to be excuses sometimes and say we are new.

Would you agree that combining three different football programs from three different schools under new leadership would be considered a NEW program? Whether it's an "excuse" or not, that is our reality.
Lets see until last year there were not Harlan County Black Bears, Harlan County Coach Tom Larkey, etc. I'm not making excuses, I'm simply stating that yes we have boys that have played football but like Mama says a complete new system. How would bell do if Dudley left and brought in a whole new system? One point no one touched on is that I said I bet highlands wasn't a state champ overnight it takes time to turn a team into a champion and by us having a NEW PROGRAM it will take some time. I'm sure you guys remember when bell was consolidated and it took them awhile.

Like I said before highlands are the state champions and they have our respect, but what kind of fans would we be if we didn't think we should win?
First Harlan must play them to truley understand.

What do we need to understand?
I still don't see how me saying we are a new school/program is an exuse. Seems to me that we would have to lose to someone before I could make an excuse. And again I haven't said we are going to play highlands and beat them for a championship this year, my point was that we are building a program and expect to play at a high level.
Patriot Wrote:I still don't see how me saying we are a new school/program is an exuse. Seems to me that we would have to lose to someone before I could make an excuse. And again I haven't said we are going to play highlands and beat them for a championship this year, my point was that we are building a program and expect to play at a high level.

Understood and that's a fair post.

You'd have to admit that there have been some Harlan County posters on here in other threads that have been a "bit over the top" talking about Harlan County over the last year or so; i.e. look at the thread questioning if Highlands can be stopped at 3 peating, and you'll see a little of what I'm referring to-Harlan County will be undefeated this year going into the state game. It's great to be an enthusiastic fan and all, but........
charlie22 Wrote:Understood and that's a fair post.

You'd have to admit that there have been some Harlan County posters on here in other threads that have been a "bit over the top" talking about Harlan County over the last year or so; i.e. look at the thread questioning if Highlands can be stopped at 3 peating, and you'll see a little of what I'm referring to-Harlan County will be undefeated this year going into the state game. It's great to be an enthusiastic fan and all, but........

That's just youth Charlie. Wink Although it may be "over the top" for a message board, such as this, I do hope that every boy that goes into a practice session or into a game has that same mindset when the season roles around.
Mama Bear Wrote:To answer this question, the Black Bear Nation is full of eternal optimists. Wink

We feel like we can compete in 5A . Beating Whitley and Letcher County to get out of our district will be a task. It's our players, coaches, and community's goal to see our team go play for that championship in Dec. I feel like we have the coaching and manpower to play with anyone on our schedule. It's going to be exciting to see how far we've come since last year. The boys are working hard during this off season. Can't wait to see what results we will get to see on the field this Fall!

I am so glad to hear that your goal is to win a championship! Alot of posts from other schools say that is not their goal. They state things like regional champ or having fun. Every team should have the goal of a championship. Highlands gets alot of grief from people on here for having that goal every year. If you do not believe in yourself, you will never win it. HHS players grow up thinking they are going to win state when they are in elementary school, that is what a program has to establish. I can't wait for the fall either.
Mama Bear Wrote:That's just youth Charlie. Wink Although it may be "over the top" for a message board, such as this, I do hope that every boy that goes into a practice session or into a game has that same mindset when the season roles around.

I agree 100% Now just get the boys to commit to the program and put in the work on and off the field.It takes a year around commitment.
This all goes back to what I have preached on here forever, You should expect to win every game, that is what these young men work so hard for. Also my cliché I have used a lot is to be the best you have to play the best and I believe Coach Larkey believes that to. I will have to check out the highlands thread.
charlie22 Wrote:Understood and that's a fair post.

Back from viewing the highlands thread, By reading the post you referred to I can tell that some kid has done that and you have to watch out for that. I think they get worked up pretty easily and just can't contain there excitement. From what I post sometimes I would hate to see what I would have said when I was younger.

I do have to admit though I am one that is turned off by the title of that thread, but they are state champs so I guess they have the right, having said that I do have to defend my young Harlan countian and mention the post on the hhs thread that says no other team in KY can beat them that's pretty close to what our young man said. If someone from Harlan County had said some of the things that were posted on that thread it would be an all out attack on us being over confident. hhs has our respect they have tons of championships, but humility is a two way street.

Here's to hoping these two teams meet up someday (on my end hoping sooner than later) so we will have more to talk about.
Patriot Wrote:Back from viewing the highlands thread, By reading the post you referred to I can tell that some kid has done that and you have to watch out for that. I think they get worked up pretty easily and just can't contain there excitement. From what I post sometimes I would hate to see what I would have said when I was younger.

I do have to admit though I am one that is turned off by the title of that thread, but they are state champs so I guess they have the right, having said that I do have to defend my young Harlan countian and mention the post on the hhs thread that says no other team in KY can beat them that's pretty close to what our young man said. If someone from Harlan County had said some of the things that were posted on that thread it would be an all out attack on us being over confident. hhs has our respect they have tons of championships, but humility is a two way street.

Here's to hoping these two teams meet up someday (on my end hoping sooner than later) so we will have more to talk about.

Perhaps you are right and that poster is a kid.

From what I can tell and know, I don't think any of the cocky posts in that thread were even made by Highlands people and the thread wasn't started by a Highlands person.
Mama Bear Wrote:That's just youth Charlie. Wink Although it may be "over the top" for a message board, such as this, I do hope that every boy that goes into a practice session or into a game has that same mindset when the season roles around.

I'm sure you are probably right and if so, I'm fine with it as I agree every player on every team better believe they are going to win every game they are headed into.
I agree all of these young men have one thing in mind when the lift weights all winter and practice all summer and tha is to WIN! That's their motivation.
Snare43 Wrote:Careful, even though you are from Bell, watch about posting that someone ask him to come to Harlan.:yikes:

Hate to bust your bubble, He has family I heard that asked him to come up to harlan. So dont get your nerves in a mess, if he wants to move he can. I heard this and was told he was unhappy at bell.