Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 2009
We lose a lot of seniors who made huge contributions, but I think we have the players to step in and keep the program headed in the right direction. Here we come 5A. Go Bears!
They should do good next year. The players and the black bear nation have my support.
Will they be in 5A next year?
They'll be in 5A in 2009 and 2010.

Finding a quarterback will be a key.
They also need Shequille Clark to come back strong from an injury to help T.J. Green in the backfield with Nathaniel Gilliam graduating.
I wish them the best. They have my support.
I think the road for them will be tougher for them in 5A next year.
Who do they bring back?
BatCat11 Wrote:I think the road for them will be tougher for them in 5A next year.
Who do they bring back?

I agree. Does Gilliam and Ball return?
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:I agree. Does Gilliam and Ball return?

i think Gilliam was a senior. Dont know about Ball.
Offense

Ball LG
Austin Short RT
Alex Haywood/ George Shoemaker LT
James Phillips TE
TJ Green TB (split time)
Dylon Smith WR

Defense
Ball DT
James Phillips NG
Dwight Burgan OLB
Jordan Calton DE
TJ Green LB
Dylon Smith Safety
Shaquille Clark DE/DB
You all should be thankful, you are so lucky............you dont have to play Breathitt again next year.
HC had Breathitt on the ropes and with a few breaks they could have won. I am sure with some hard work this winter, spring and summer the bears would love to have another shot at Breathitt. I doubt very seriously that they are dodging anyone.
Yogibear Wrote:HC had Breathitt on the ropes and with a few breaks they could have won. I am sure with some hard work this winter, spring and summer the bears would love to have another shot at Breathitt. I doubt very seriously that they are dodging anyone.

They had us on the ropes.....then channing had 3 or 4 strait td's unanswered by harlan.
5A will not be as tuff as 3A locally. If you take Whitley out of the region Harlan may win it. Then comes the problem .......Highlands!!!!!!
Snare43 Wrote:5A will not be as tuff as 3A locally. If you take Whitley out of the region Harlan may win it. Then comes the problem .......Highlands!!!!!!

Just curious, who will harlan play next year? I liked the little rivalry Breathitt had this year with them.
Letcher Co. Central
North Laurel
Clay Co.
Perry Central
Whitley
k thanks, hope you all have a great season next year.
Good luck guys also will District 6 be against District 5 again next year in the playoffs.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:They had us on the ropes.....then channing had 3 or 4 strait td's unanswered by harlan.

You're right. We had him in the backfield several times and just either missed him or didn't even try to tackle him. He is tough, no doubt. He killed HC twice this year. HC defense sold out putting 7 to eight in the box on him and still had some players who either could not or would not tackle him. I'll never understand that.
palmer Wrote:They'll be in 5A in 2009 and 2010.

Finding a quarterback will be a key.
They also need Shequille Clark to come back strong from an injury to help T.J. Green in the backfield with Nathaniel Gilliam graduating.

I agree. Green really stepped up when he had to and played the QB position and we all know that he is truly a great running back. I'll be glad to see him and Clark get to shine next year. I think next year is gonna be exciting. At least we won't have to do all that traveling like we did this first year. I think alot of Freshmen and Sophmores getting some good playing time in the Fresh and JV games really will help. Those kids will be ready to step in and fill some of the gaps left from graduation. We have a good group of incoming Freshmen. It's gonna be exciting to see next year's team. I thought they improved every game they played this past year. I believe after this winter and Spring, that we will see a more confident and focused Black Bear team take the field.

I just pray that they can all stay healthy.
IMO Harlan Co. will be in the running for top's in the district next season.
Mama Bear Wrote:I agree. Green really stepped up when he had to and played the QB position and we all know that he is truly a great running back. I'll be glad to see him and Clark get to shine next year. I think next year is gonna be exciting. At least we won't have to do all that traveling like we did this first year. I think alot of Freshmen and Sophmores getting some good playing time in the Fresh and JV games really will help. Those kids will be ready to step in and fill some of the gaps left from graduation. We have a good group of incoming Freshmen. It's gonna be exciting to see next year's team. I thought they improved every game they played this past year. I believe after this winter and Spring, that we will see a more confident and focused Black Bear team take the field.

I just pray that they can all stay healthy.
I think Green is one of the best backs in the mountains. I would love to see him get a full season @ TB. His first 3 seasons he either started off @ FB, QB, or moved to QB. I also think Harlan Co. has a very good D-line prospect in James Ball. He really came on towards the end of the season(Ball is 6'1 270 with good speed).
I think the KEY to the season will be keeping TJ at TB and teaming him with Clark and Dwight Burgan. Also I look for Dylon Smith to be a bigger threat. Like Mama Bear said the JV and Freshmen got some good experience. I hear Larry Williamson or Jordy Brewer will be the QB. I also heard mention that Justin Howard looked good as a backup at Evarts one year. I'm sure we will be pleased with Larkey's 2nd edition.
Channing Fugette, with the Bears threatening, took the game over and in about 6 or 7 minutes the game was well out of reach. If he wasn't running long TD's, he was getting 20 yards. Best exhibition of running I've ever seen. The Bears did have a chance until late in the third qtr. when Fugette decided to blow it out. He impressed me. As for the Black Bears in 09, it can't get here fast enough. As Palmer said, we do need a QB with some threat and stability and hopefully hard work in the offseason will produce just that. TJ will hopefully get a full year at RB. The Bears will do just fine in class 5A. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!
Good Luck Black Bears
Two young men on the all mountain team! That's Awesome! Dylon Smith is just a sophomore by the time he is a senior that Black Bear Defense will rank right up there on the all mountain team.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:You all should be thankful, you are so lucky............you dont have to play Breathitt again next year.

They may not have to play Breathitt, but they inherited Letcher Central and Whitley. I don't think this is a drop off in competition. They should do fine IMO. Seems like they've started on the right track.
I believe the Bears will do good in 5A. I definately don't think it will be a drop in competition. I hope they will dedicate themselves to working hard in the off-season. I'm excited about next season! :Thumbs:
They played Letcher Central pretty tuff this year, so I think they will be fine. It will be interesting to see who the leaders will be of next years team.
Go Bears!
Patriot Wrote:They played Letcher Central pretty tuff this year, so I think they will be fine. It will be interesting to see who the leaders will be of next years team.
Go Bears!

This game has the making of a good old fashion rivalry. I think this and the Harlan Co vs Whitley will both be good games.
Snare43 Wrote:Letcher Co. Central
North Laurel
Clay Co.
Perry Central
Whitley

they have added the 4A STATE CHAMPS as well