4. Perry Central
5. Tie: Powell County and Hazard
OrangenowBlue Wrote:The top five teams in 2009 in the 14th region are:

1. Letcher Co. Central
2. Letcher Co. Central JV
3. Letcher Co. Freshmen team
4. Perry Central
5. Tie: Powell County and Hazard

:please: That is not even right. Give some more teams a little credit than that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Have you watched them play?
With the exception of a few players, the incoming Freshmen consisting of Julie Cornett, Ari Nichols, Emi Nichols, and Katlyn Jent as well as several others would start or be the best players on any other team in the 14th Region. The best competition LCC has in the region is during practice. The other teams need to earn the credit. They need to look at the example LCC is setting and try to be better as good as or better than them.
Your right! It just seems bad to say that though. Respect other teams. I do agree that if you want to beat the best team in the region you have to get better. The problem is that most of the schools in this region can't get the girls to come out. We are so blessed to have a coach who is coach of girls volleyball and girls basketball. Some coaches will throw a fir if there basketball player went out for the volleyball team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

i dont know what teams are good. would anyone mind giving some good names of the 14th?

-thanks
Letcher Central is by far the best team in the 14th region. They have won it all four years of the schools existence and they are heavy favorites to win it this year. The other teams that are most competitive are Perry Central, Powell County, and Hazard.
That one year we played Hazard and lost the first set scared me to death. I have all kinds of ideas to get these girls better.
1)Take the serious volleyball players who doesn't have interest in basketball, and form a team to play in a league.
2)Do the same thing with #1 with middle school girls who are SERIOUS about volleyball.
3)Cut down the number of teams to two in letcher co dealing with middle school, and have them play other schools.<---this should have already been done.
4)Go to more tournaments in the off season for SERIOUS players at places like the place over in knott co sportsplex.<---they may have already been doing this.

I know that there is a bunch of people who think that if a kid is playing volleyball and basketball that there is no way you can do these things, but I say that if you want to excel in a sport, you have to do things to be the best you can be, and we need all the advantages we can get. I just don't want to make it to state every year, I want to compete, and win some games. If Louisville and Lexington have players who are only interested in volleyball, then we should to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The one sport stars are primarily private schools in Louisville. Many of the volleyball players in Lexington and Louisville public schools compete in multiple sports. If you are saying that we have to tell a kid they can only play one sport then that is wrong. If a child is good enough to play and compete at multiple sports and is able to do so they should be allowed. This modern mentality of only playing one sport is dumb. Most of the athletes that play college sports play more than one sport in high school.
I am saying have a club or team that has kids that ONLY want to play volleyball. I never intend to make a child decide. If a child wants to be a two or three sport athlete then that is ok with me, but you do have some who only want to play volleyball, and should get a chance to work on that all year round in my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:I am saying have a club or team that has kids that ONLY want to play volleyball. I never intend to make a child decide. If a child wants to be a two or three sport athlete then that is ok with me, but you do have some who only want to play volleyball, and should get a chance to work on that all year round in my opinion.

I do agree with that. There is some league volleyball at the sportsplex but nothing like they have in Louisville.
Volleyball at the Sportsplex will not help them become better. JMO
Anything is better than waiting till summer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Bad habits are hard to overcome. Bad coaching is just as bad as being sedentary.
please explain. I don't understand.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Teaching volleyball skills the wrong way will hurt more than just sitting around at home.
That is true.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

the powell county team has alot of raw young talent and has had a successful season in the region so far
I agree that they are the second best team in the region.
Powell had a great win over perry county. They were down in the second match 22-14, junior Jacey Rice served 11 serves and the lady pirates went on to win the match. They have been underestimated with the loss of 10 seniors last year, but are undefeated in District and Region so far this season.
I wouldn't use a win over Perry Central as a trophy of great achievement. They haven't beat anyone of any merit and they have also lost to Leslie County in the region. When you have finally beaten Letcher Central then you have made a great achievement in the region. The regional championship has been won by a Letcher County school every year since 2001 and the road goes through them.
To me the region itself is just weak. I wish more schools would take it seriously, but sometimes they also can't get the kids to come out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

It is because they don't play it in their feeder schools or they don't have someone who knows how to teach it. Letcher County elementary schools have been playing volleyball since the seventies.
I am very impressed with the coaching job powells coach(ken jones I think his name is) has done with a team that lost all the seniors they did..i think the top 5 teams(in no particular order after letcher central) are letcher central, leslie, estill, powell, perry central
playball Wrote:Does Estill have a team?

yes they have a team. always has had a team ever since i can remember.

If Letcher Central wins the region this year, it will be the the tenth straight regional championship for a team from Letcher County.

Letcher - 2000, 2001, 2002

Whitesburg - 2003, 2004

Letcher Central - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
There are some players who want to play volleyball SERIOUSLY but just aren't as talented as their teammates. Finding enough players to form a team outside school setting can be a problem in our area. Players can only be as good as their team. Therefore, the talented players are reduced to mediocrity. If we want to "compete" with teams in lex and louisville. Quality instruction, training and tougher competition on a regular basis must be provided. Sportsplex is a start. Club teams can be properly formed to enhance PLAYER'S abilities. I dont think club teams should consist of the same players as their high school team.
That is why you have feeder system in middle school. We have three or four middles school teams. IMO I think we need to consolidate middle school teams. That will give any kid a better chance to get play and get better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!