Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Belfry overrated?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Oxymoron maybe? I know plenty of teams who play a difficult schedule who don't come close to sniffing the state finals.

Exactly, which means they shouldnt be there
No Belfry is not over-rated and thats the end of the story.
If...Then Wrote:Exactly, which means they shouldnt be there

I don't clearly see what you are getting at:

You compare this team to last years after saying they are a bit overrated, yet last years's team made the State Finals. I just honestly cannot see how a team can possibly be justified as being overrated in Kentucky High School football when they can make a run to the State Finals? If they were truly overrated they would have bowed out in the Regional Finals or State Semi's when you actually start playing quality teams. Thus why it is an oxymoron to comment on how a team is overrated when they advance to the State Finals.

Who should have been in the Finals in place of them last year if your statement means Belfry shouldn't have been there?
Belfrey is what high school football programs in our area aspire to be, great tradition and solid program EVERY year. NO WAY is Belfrey overated, if anything they do not get enough credit!
Belfry should never be considered overrated. They have a solid team every year. What other teams can say that their goal is to win a state championship every year?
This isn't meant to be anti Belfry in anyway. But this thread shows you why Belfry seldom loses to the other teams in their area. The games are essentially over before they start. Some of these teams believe they can't win against the Pirates and therefore probably never will. I respect the Belfry program emensely but never would I go into a game thinking I couldn't win.
When you can walk the walk you can brag about it. Until there is a contender you really can't deny it. Until then they are placed just right! Hard to argue with a winning season year after year. So quit the whinning and make your school step up to the competition. Only makes the programs in all areas better.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:When you can walk the walk you can brag about it. Until there is a contender you really can't deny it. Until then they are placed just right! Hard to argue with a winning season year after year. So quit the whinning and make your school step up to the competition. Only makes the programs in all areas better.
Amen!!!!!!!
jgrubby Wrote:When you can walk the walk you can brag about it. Until there is a contender you really can't deny it. Until then they are placed just right! Hard to argue with a winning season year after year. So quit the whinning and make your school step up to the competition. Only makes the programs in all areas better.
...:pirategir Well said Jgrubby!:pirategir
Threads like this just add fuel to the fire. When people start these threads I think they believe they will get under the Pirates skin. =) But in REALITY the Pirates are a solid football team and have been since I can remember. They are not overrated.

And yes, they do play a weak schedule but half the teams they play are in their district and the others are the teams that will ACTUALLY play Belfry instead of declining. And if they are so OVERRATED then when the got to the playoffs they would have gotten stomped but if I recall the state-semi game last year they beat Breathitt Co. by 30+ (not factual)

Yes, they did get beat in the State Championsip but believe me they have not forgotten it. If it makes you ADULTS feel good to belittle a tremendous football program than go right ahead but just be looking for the Pirates coming to your town on their ANGRY RED TOUR on the way to Papa John's Stadium! GO BIG RED!
footballcrazy08 Wrote:I recall the state-semi game last year they beat Breathitt Co. by 30+ (not factual)
Pirates 62, Bobcats 28.

62 - 28 = 34

Mrs Gannon would be proud of my math skills. Big Grin
Yes she would. I had her too, but mostly slept. I had her after lunch! Haha! Im kidding!
Belfry is not over- rated they are very sound team and the coaches are working on the schedule.
Belfry has had a solid Football Program for a long time, so how could they be overrated??
:rockon:
ram97 Wrote:Belfry has had a solid Football Program for a long time, so how could they be overrated??
TheyKnowMe Wrote:We will see if they are overrated friday

Looks like NO to me!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BelfryPride Wrote:Looks like NO to me!!

You could be right but maybe SC was just being built up a little too much.
BelfryPride Wrote:Looks like NO to me!!

I'll second that motion :eek:
Belfry is nowhere near close to being overrated. Belfry is tops in its class year in and year out. I don't care if they are pulling fans out of the stands, Haywood would mold them into a championship team in no time.
i think after tonights game this dosen't dissmiss all concerns but it has to put Belfry's stock back up. They beat a very good Sheldon Clark team very convincingly just as Bell did a week ago but on their home field and i have herd no one in the state say that Bell is over rated???
I think that anyone in 3A rated above Belfry or Central, other than themselves, is overrated. I hope Belfry wins in December, I believe they will, and I believe it will be against Central.

As for the competition problem, it's difficult to find a team willing to travel 2+ hours to play an away game. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want my team on a 2-3 hour bus ride after a day at school either, and regardless of what some may say, athletics should always come secondary to academics. Now, if you pull out at 3:30, after a 3 hour ride, you've got exactly 1 hour to get over the trip, warm up, and begin the game.

Ashland won't play Belfry because Ashland won't come TO Belfry.

I'd hate to see Russell play Belfry in the regular season, what with the history the two have in the playoffs. It'd be anticlimactic if they played in the regular season then met again in the playoffs... Sad
why is this even a thread?
i think they should compete with better teams than what they do, they cant help there district opponents cant touch them but a few non district games should be scheduled tougher. idt bell would have any problems coming to CAM, ive played against both teams and i feel they're evenly matched, two hard nosed, well-coached teams, i would love to see this game go down in JC's off week next season lol
MatneysManiac Wrote:i think they should compete with better teams than what they do, they cant help there district opponents cant touch them but a few non district games should be scheduled tougher. idt bell would have any problems coming to CAM, ive played against both teams and i feel they're evenly matched, two hard nosed, well-coached teams, i would love to see this game go down in JC's off week next season lol
Actually Bell did have a problem coming to Cam, because Belfry tied to get that game two weeks ago. Belfry fans have adressed the schedule issue as have the coaches, but it don't make them overrated. They are trying to make the schedule tougher but it isn't easy as most teams will only do both games at their place. And Belfry is an elite team with a state of the art facility, so I wouldn't agree to that kind of game neither.