Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is Belfry overrated?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just wondering what you all thought, do you belive belfry should play tougher schools?
3Altor5 Wrote:I was just wondering what you all thought, do you belive belfry should play tougher schools?

This has been beat to death on other threads. Sure, Belfry should play tougher schools. Now, let's find someone to play them.
No I don't think they are over rated..they are a very good teamRolleyes
They get whats dealt to them in distric. The other open dates are Belfry's choice. Maybe its a sense of security on who they choose. Sheldon Clark had found that out the hard way with Bell Co.
jgrubby Wrote:They get whats dealt to them in distric. The other open dates are Belfry's choice. Maybe its a sense of security on who they choose. Sheldon Clark had found that out the hard way with Bell Co.

It will make Sheldon Clark a better team
jgrubby Wrote:They get whats dealt to them in distric. The other open dates are Belfry's choice. Maybe its a sense of security on who they choose. Sheldon Clark had found that out the hard way with Bell Co.
They tried, they took who would play them. The same Bell County team which beat SC last week turned Belfry down before they scheduled Sheldon Clark because of travel issues.
As for Belfry being overrated,no they are one of the top teams in 3A and will be a major contender. They are a good solid football team that plays its style of football and forces you to play it with them and dont kill itsself with mistakes.
Belfry is one of the teams that is a threat to win it all year after year. They deserve respect as do the other annual contenders Breathitt and Russell.
Id say Russell,Ironton,Wheelersburg,Portsmouth,West Portsmouth,Mason.Co and Ashland would play Belfry.I Could be wrong though.

I would say no Belfry has a fine Program.
No belfry is not overrated they are a eastern Ky power house. How on earth can you say that when they compete for a state championship in there class every year. The thing that people don't understand is when you play In a 1A class or 2A class or I hate to say this but even a 4A class. The competition is not that great IMO. I know I left out 3A, because in my opinion 3A has a lot of good football competition in it. I think that JC, belfry, could compete for a state champion ship year in year out in those three classes. Now 6A is a different beast within it self. What I am trying to point out is for instance, A hazard follower said that hazard has a better tradition and has had a better football program than JC and that JC has always sucked. I disagree, No they have not had the success as hazard but hazard has not played the level of competition that they have. No Belfry has show for many years that they have a great program. Sorry if I have rambled on and not made any scenes, should have went to bed 3 hours ago.
3Altor5 Wrote:I was just wondering what you all thought, do you belive belfry should play tougher schools?

Tell us the team you support then compare them with these results over the past 5 years:

- 5 Straight District Titles
- 5 Straight Regional Titles
- 5 Straight State Semi-Final Appearances
- 3 State Finals Appearances (Only one other mountain team since 2000 with multiple appearances, Rockcastle County, who has ZERO state titles)
- 2 State Titles (only mountain team since 2000 with multiple titles)
- 70-10 record
- Flawless record against the following strong programs: Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Corbin, Lou. Holy Cross, Breathitt County, Somerset, Middlesboro, Lloyd Memorial, Elizabethtown, Ownesboro Catholic, Newport Central Catholic, Johnson Central, and Lawrence County
- One TOTAL LOSS against mountain competition.

Now who's your team?

Belfry fans have made it public that everyone around he program knwos the schedule needs to improve, and efforts have been made, but if you have any remote knowledge of HS Football you would know how foolish it is to say Belfry is overrated when you look at what they have accomplished.
We will see if they are overrated friday
I don't think Belfry is one bit over-rated! Truth be known, They are where most other teams want to be at. Anyone would like to have a program like theirs. The scheduling is a 2 way street. Beleive it or not, there are teams that won't even play us in Powell Co. Just cause we have improved alot. Belfry probably tries to get other tough teams to play them but a lot of teams won't even consider playing Belfry. They don't want a guarenteed loss. The District is what it is. We have contacted some very good competition but the declined. AMEN!!
Belfry's been to 3 straight title games? I could have sworn Russell was there in 05 and 06.
Belfry has played a non-Belfry type schedule this year. Breathitt did this last year and it bit them in the play-offs. I know you cannot help who your district is but Belfry's non district opponents have been sub-par and this wont help them in the long run. You have to play the best to beat the best. Belfry is good but as to how good we cannot judge because of the schedule they have played thus far. Breathitt played Johnson Central and Prestonsburg the first 2 games.
They lost but they played as tough of teams as they will face in the playoffs.
This will have them ready for the playoffs. Prestonsburg is another example, they played Breathitt and Beechwood. It just seems that this one of the weaker Belfry schedules I have seen them play.
Beetle01 Wrote:Belfry's been to 3 straight title games? I could have sworn Russell was there in 05 and 06.

3 STATE Finals Appearances... not straight
I don't think Belfry is overrated. They are consistently one of the top programs in the state. They cannot help the fact they play in a weak district. I would like to see them get either Ashland, Russell, and/or Ironton, OH back on their schedule, though. Those are all teams that they have played in the past who were very competitive with Belfry.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:3 STATE Finals Appearances... not straight

my bad I thought it said 3 straight Finals appearances.
F.N.L. Wrote:Belfry has played a non-Belfry type schedule this year. Breathitt did this last year and it bit them in the play-offs. I know you cannot help who your district is but Belfry's non district opponents have been sub-par and this wont help them in the long run. You have to play the best to beat the best. Belfry is good but as to how good we cannot judge because of the schedule they have played thus far. Breathitt played Johnson Central and Prestonsburg the first 2 games.
They lost but they played as tough of teams as they will face in the playoffs.
This will have them ready for the playoffs. Prestonsburg is another example, they played Breathitt and Beechwood. It just seems that this one of the weaker Belfry schedules I have seen them play.

How much control has Belfry had over their schedule?

Holy Cross- PCB Committee arranged this game and Belfry had no say.

Shelby Valley- Belfry had more say with this game than anyone, but it was a 2 Year Contract that Haywood did with SV's Coach Saunders as a favor to help build his program.

Lawrence County- Longstanding contract coming to an end this season. Belfry has no control that their program has fallen on hard times.

Pikeville- Your county rival... once again Belfry has no control into the quality of product Pikeville puts on the field.

Pike Central, East Ridge, Magoffin.. District..no control.

How could Belfry have played a tougher schedule without breaking their contract?
your right beetle last year belfry,russel to yrs before and belfry to yrs before that..
also same teams they played last year expect holy cross they played corbin,so whats the big deal...
No belfry is not overrated
IMO their a little big over-rated this year. And they do need to play tougher teams like the Lexington and Louisville schools, instead of running all over the weak Pike County teams. The exact thing happened last year. Belfry ran their record up on mountain teams and got to state, then got beat by Louisville Central AKA a big city school

But weather we like it or not Belfry will always be at least somewhat good at football
We will find out friday. but I think the are very overrated
If...Then Wrote:IMO their a little big over-rated this year. And they do need to play tougher teams like the Lexington and Louisville schools, instead of running all over the weak Pike County teams. The exact thing happened last year. Belfry ran their record up on mountain teams and got to state, then got beat by Louisville Central AKA a big city school

But weather we like it or not Belfry will always be at least somewhat good at football
Oxymoron maybe? I know plenty of teams who play a difficult schedule who don't come close to sniffing the state finals.

For all the SC fans who are saying Belfry is overrated, I think this video sums up your the reasoning behind your thoughts.

"I refuse to give in to the news, that's not how it's goinna be!.... If I don't listen to the talk of the town, then maybe I can fool myself. I'll get over you, I know I will. I'll pretend my ships not sinking."
eosborne09 Wrote:We will find out friday. but I think the are very overrated

until they beat SC. Then Belfry will win state.
I think Belfry is a top 15-25 team in the state, most years. I also think that them killing the teams that they played last year made them over confident(at least their fans,maybe not them) for the championship game. I don't think they are over rated unless you say they are a top five team in the state. They are always pretty good.
No IMO belfry is not over rated at all. They talk smack and actually back it up so, i dont get how anyone can say that they are? There are so many other teams that can talk a big talk but when it comes game time-oh this happened or the refs were horrible or w/e. If u talk then show up plain and simple. Belfry does that!
Even with the weakness of the schedule, you still have to consider that this group of pirates have have went deep into the playoffs every year. They may be untested so far, but until they are beat, I think they deserve their ranking.
I would say they might be. For whatever reason, and I know they can't help it, the schedule to this point has not provided a test.

We will find out over the next couple of weeks.

EKU, you know who my team is and they are probably the only other Eastern Kentucky team that can compare to that record. That said past years don't really have anything to do with this years teams.
Pages: 1 2