Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Tennis
This year I believe the girls will have a very good region , maybe even one of the strongest in the last few years. Im not bragging for my team but shikha, kelsey, emily and many others will give us a good showing, giving us a great region in boys and girls for 2009.
sjeelani55 Wrote:This year I believe the girls will have a very good region , maybe even one of the strongest in the last few years. Im not bragging for my team but shikha, kelsey, emily and many others will give us a good showing, giving us a great region in boys and girls for 2009.

I will agree with you there! The 15th is going to be very competitive in both boys and girls this year. Also, the 15th is hands down much stronger in boys singles than the 16th this year. Was last year too.
Livestronger Wrote:You sound pretty confident about that. Talk is cheap. By the way, how is the soccer going this year at Paintsville. Have you been hitting any tennis at Archer Park lately? How about on a Sunday afternoon?

I agree with you about talk being cheap. But rest assured that both Nathan and Zach have the ability to back up the talk! Seriously, do you really think that anyone in this region could beat them in a match? :confused:

Soccer at Paintsville went fairly well this year, especially for the boys who done well for their first year.
anonymous1 Wrote:In fact, let me enlighten you that anything can happen in the game of tennis. i do agree that nobody will upset martin but hughes is another story. morgan county, johnson central, and pikeville have great players that could and will contend for the number 2 spot in the regional tournament. And yes, lets all just sit back and see who ends up going to state this year! Remember, we're talking singles. Smile

You are correct that anything can happen in tennis. I guess a player could sprain an ankle or something. But it is a certainty that Nathan will repeat as singles champion considering that no one can get close. In fact, Zach is the only person to have even come close to beating him in this region, but when tournament time roles around, Nathan rises up a notch and dominates. As for anyone challenging Zach for the #2, who would it be?? No one came close to him last year, so why should this year be any different?? There is not one player at Morgan Co., Johnson Central, Pikeville or any other school in this region that could beat him. I know all of the players and he had no problem blowing through them last year. I don't think he has gotten that bad? lol But now the #3 and #4 spots are wide open as there are several good players that will compete for those spots!
I watched Mr. Hughes play a kid at the state tourny that was seeded around 9th or tenth in the state. He looked like a very good player to me. I agree Zac is hands down the second best player in the region. However, I am pretty sure he did not blow through all the people from the teams that were mentioned. Paintsville and Johnson Central does not play each other. Why is that? I am not saying that anyone there could beat him. I just know the two teams have never played.
turd ferguson Wrote:I watched Mr. Hughes play a kid at the state tourny that was seeded around 9th or tenth in the state. He looked like a very good player to me. I agree Zac is hands down the second best player in the region. However, I am pretty sure he did not blow through all the people from the teams that were mentioned. Paintsville and Johnson Central does not play each other. Why is that? I am not saying that anyone there could beat him. I just know the two teams have never played.
Yes, he did play somebody at state and ALMOST beat him. And guess what. Almost isn't good enough in tennis. Oh, and to make this even better, the boy was YOUNGER than him!! If he is so good, he shouldn't have trouble with somebody close to 2 years younger than him now should he.:redboxer:
anonymous1 Wrote:Yes, he did play somebody at state and ALMOST beat him. And guess what. Almost isn't good enough in tennis. Oh, and to make this even better, the boy was YOUNGER than him!! If he is so good, he shouldn't have trouble with somebody close to 2 years younger than him now should he.:redboxer:

I am not talking about Zach at the state level. I am talking about Zach in the 15th Region. But actually Zach hasn't done too bad at the state level for an eastern Kentucky boy. Not many players from eastern Kentucky do great at the state level anyway. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder either toward Zach or something??
turd ferguson Wrote:I watched Mr. Hughes play a kid at the state tourny that was seeded around 9th or tenth in the state. He looked like a very good player to me. I agree Zac is hands down the second best player in the region. However, I am pretty sure he did not blow through all the people from the teams that were mentioned. Paintsville and Johnson Central does not play each other. Why is that? I am not saying that anyone there could beat him. I just know the two teams have never played.

Well, I know that Paintsville's #1 seed (Zach Hughes) could take out any of JC's players. And on a good day, Paintsville's #2 seed (Toy Adams) could beat or hold his own with JC's #1. After that, I doubt that Paintsville's #3 through #6 would be able to beat any of the JC players.

As for why does Paintsville not play JC? That is a mystery to me?:confused: I think that Paintsville and JC should at least play 2x's per season. Geez, they are so close to each other it only makes good sense. It isn't like the players don't play against each other all the time anyway. Maybe the coaching change at Paintsville will change that this season. We can hope so at least.
Every team in the region should be required to play each other at least once!!!!!!!
I think that as a team it will come down to the doubles. Singles is pretty much wrapped up. It'll be (not necessarily in these orders) Nathan Martin, Zac Hughes, and Brennan Alderman for the boys and Kelsey Hughes, Morgan Co's #1 and Pikeville's #1 for the girls. So it'll depend on which team can bring the best doubles team, and I would probably say Pikeville for the boys and Morgan County for the girls.
The Wall Wrote:I think that as a team it will come down to the doubles. Singles is pretty much wrapped up. It'll be (not necessarily in these orders) Nathan Martin, Zac Hughes, and Brennan Alderman for the boys and Kelsey Hughes, Morgan Co's #1 and Pikeville's #1 for the girls. So it'll depend on which team can bring the best doubles team, and I would probably say Pikeville for the boys and Morgan County for the girls.
I would agree with that statement. Whoever wins the doubles title in region is who will win as a team. Lawrence, Pikeville, Paintsville, Johnson, and Morgan will pull in some points for their teams for sure in singles but it will be up to all of their outstanding doubles teams to be the deciding factor in what team will win region.
anonymous1 Wrote:I would agree with that statement. Whoever wins the doubles title in region is who will win as a team. Lawrence, Pikeville, Paintsville, Johnson, and Morgan will pull in some points for their teams for sure in singles but it will be up to all of their outstanding doubles teams to be the deciding factor in what team will win region.

That is probably one of the most accurate statements you have made on this thread so far! I agree also. But you still haven't said who would beat Zach Hughes other than Nathan Martin?? Still waiting??Big Grin
EKY Sportster Wrote:That is probably one of the most accurate statements you have made on this thread so far! I agree also. But you still haven't said who would beat Zach Hughes other than Nathan Martin?? Still waiting??Big Grin
I think that is me to know and for you to find out now isn't it.
EKY Sportster Wrote:That is probably one of the most accurate statements you have made on this thread so far! I agree also. But you still haven't said who would beat Zach Hughes other than Nathan Martin?? Still waiting??Big Grin
And trust me, you will find out.
Can anyone tell me what female tennis player or players transfered from JBS to LCC? I heard one, but didn't get the name?
anonymous1 Wrote:And trust me, you will find out.

Well now aren't we trying to play the Riddler?? lol I am very certain that I won't have to find out, because it just isn't going to happen as long as Nathan and Zach are healthy and can play. If you know of some great tennis player that just transferred into the region or something, why would you be so reluctant to share this news with us?? Could it be because there is no one?? I have stated who the best two boys singles players in the region are and anyone on here would be hard pressed to disagree. They were in the finals last year. Has anyone new come along this year?? No. You on the other hand have not dropped one name of anyone that you believe could beat either of these two. What does that tell us? Like I said, since you still haven't answered my question, this just shows that you are trying to act cute or something. If that is what you wish so be it. But it doesn't change the facts. I can't wait until spring so that you will have to acknowledge that you are wrong.Smile
tyler olinger, when hes not injured, is a definite threat in singles. not sure who his doubles partner is this year
This is the one and only warning. If everyone cannot conduct a good conversation over why this kid is better than this kid without arguing and calling others names then this thread will be closed and I will hand suspensions out.

Remember, your talking about 14-18 year old kids, they do get on here and read what is posted so think about what your saying before you post.

Thanks,
BlackcatAlum
So in keeping with the warning anonymous1, would you please tell us who you feel could possibly defeat Nathan Martin or Zach Hughes in this Region this year? I would love to know the names and why instead of you just making negative comments about players. Everyone who plays tennis deserves encouragement, but you just seem to want to attack Zach for some reason. Please enlighten us?

As for girls singles, I like Kelsey, Shikha and Emily as favorites. But does anyone know if Emily is going to go with singles or doubles?

I don't really have an opinion on boys or girls doubles, so anyone with knowledge of the pairings and predictions, please speak up with your thoughts!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:This is the one and only warning. If everyone cannot conduct a good conversation over why this kid is better than this kid without arguing and calling others names then this thread will be closed and I will hand suspensions out.

Remember, your talking about 14-18 year old kids, they do get on here and read what is posted so think about what your saying before you post.

Thanks,
BlackcatAlum

BTW, thanks for hopefully getting this thread refocused on the players abilities and predictions rather than the personal digs that were being made toward the players!:thumpsup:
I feel that the boy's team title will go to Lawrence or JCHS. If Queen is eligible then that gives them the advantage I think. They also have two younger kids that are pretty good and will get better. Girls team title will probably go to Morgan as usual. They always seem to have a lot of depth and off season dedication. Too many kids just play during the season. If they truly want to get better they they should play year around not just in the spring. I have kids ask me all the time what should I do to get better? The answer they really don't want to hear is "practice." You cant' just play during the spring and expect to excel. It doesn't work that way.

Hey Turd Ferguson long time no see. How are things going? Me and you both know the answer to your question don't we? Best of luck getting it done. It will probably take an act of Congress to get it done.
COACHH Wrote:I feel that the boy's team title will go to Lawrence or JCHS. If Queen is eligible then that gives them the advantage I think. They also have two younger kids that are pretty good and will get better. Girls team title will probably go to Morgan as usual. They always seem to have a lot of depth and off season dedication. Too many kids just play during the season. If they truly want to get better they they should play year around not just in the spring. I have kids ask me all the time what should I do to get better? The answer they really don't want to hear is "practice." You cant' just play during the spring and expect to excel. It doesn't work that way.

Hey Turd Ferguson long time no see. How are things going? Me and you both know the answer to your question don't we? Best of luck getting it done. It will probably take an act of Congress to get it done.

I agree with your assessment! Sounds pretty much right on. As for the answer to the question, it is ridiculous IMO. Paintsville would have destroyed JC in the 06-07 season but wouldn't play them. Paintsville would have probably lost the team overall match in the 07-08 season, but wouldn't play them. Same this year, and I doubt that they will play them. ???? It is Paintsville that won't play JC and not the other way around from what I hear, but I have heard both sides blame the other. So who knows? But considering that each school's players play each other in the off season and sometimes in tourneys, I don't know why they won't play during the season. Makes no sense as I have said earlier. It only hurts the school's programs and the players.
I think that from what I heard JCHS wants to play I guess that puts it in the Tigers court this year. Heard if from a good source too..Somebody talk to Paintsville's coach and maybe it will happen.....Big Grin
COACHH Wrote:I think that from what I heard JCHS wants to play I guess that puts it in the Tigers court this year. Heard if from a good source too..Somebody talk to Paintsville's coach and maybe it will happen.....Big Grin

That's my understanding. Hope it works out!
EKY Sportster Wrote:So in keeping with the warning anonymous1, would you please tell us who you feel could possibly defeat Nathan Martin or Zach Hughes in this Region this year? I would love to know the names and why instead of you just making negative comments about players. Everyone who plays tennis deserves encouragement, but you just seem to want to attack Zach for some reason. Please enlighten us?

As for girls singles, I like Kelsey, Shikha and Emily as favorites. But does anyone know if Emily is going to go with singles or doubles?

I don't really have an opinion on boys or girls doubles, so anyone with knowledge of the pairings and predictions, please speak up with your thoughts!

I agree with that assessment, if Kelsey can stay uninjured. Didn't she hurt her knee last season?
I would also say that Morgan County's looking for a team win. If Kelsey or Shikha beat Emily during the season, she'll probably play doubles with Danielle or Ali, and the other one would play singles. I'd say that they'd probably do what they have to do to win as a team.
While I think that both Kelsey and Shikha should do well in singles, neither of their teams have much of a shot at winning because there's not much depth, especially in their doubles.
Anybody have a clue as to who the new tennis coach will be there? I stepped down in August and as of today a new coach has not been named. The pay stipend was cut last year and it seems no one is interested. $325 a team is a joke considering what the other coaches in the region get paid. I couldn't afford to coach any more. It cost me more to do it than what I was getting paid. I hope someone does it i hate to see the program get cut out completely. Most schools pay their coaches substantially more than what Prestonsburg does. Most districts pay about 4,000 to their coaches.(2,000 boys and 2,000 girls). Any thoughts??????? About who the new coach will be?
I have not heard anything. I do know you, coach h, will be missed terribly. I found out this season what a great person you really are. Not only r u a great coach you are a better person. I hope to see you around. Somebody has to help me with coach woof. lol
I hope to see you guys around. You guys are fun to hang around with. Best of luck this season. Keep Woofie straight if possible.
COACHH Wrote:Anybody have a clue as to who the new tennis coach will be there? I stepped down in August and as of today a new coach has not been named. The pay stipend was cut last year and it seems no one is interested. $325 a team is a joke considering what the other coaches in the region get paid. I couldn't afford to coach any more. It cost me more to do it than what I was getting paid. I hope someone does it i hate to see the program get cut out completely. Most schools pay their coaches substantially more than what Prestonsburg does. Most districts pay about 4,000 to their coaches.(2,000 boys and 2,000 girls). Any thoughts??????? About who the new coach will be?

Actually $325 a team is joke period. It wouldn't matter what the other coaches got paid. The time and effort that goes into coaching tennis the right way (or even the wrong way) deserves a lot more than a mere $325. They might as well just ask for a volunteer because that is what it amounts to. I hope they either find someone to do it or raise the pay because the kids deserve it.
Nathan Martin by far...
He will win state..
I hear next year he will be #2 seed at UK.