Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Tennis
LC.DOMINATION Wrote:Nathan Martin by far...
He will win state..
I hear next year he will be #2 seed at UK.

I'd love to see Nathan win state because he is from Eastern Kentucky and he is a great kid. But in all seriousness, he is not likely to win state or even make to the semis. How deep he does go will depend on how well he prepares and plays. But no way would he win state. The talent at that level is just too good.

Also, while I'd love to see him at UK, I wouldn't count on that either. The talent level at a place like UK is on a whole other level. Quigley won't even dominate at that level and he could destroy Nathan.

Nathan is good enough to get a scholly to a small college though.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I'd love to see Nathan win state because he is from Eastern Kentucky and he is a great kid. But in all seriousness, he is not likely to win state or even make to the semis. How deep he does go will depend on how well he prepares and plays. But no way would he win state. The talent at that level is just too good.

Also, while I'd love to see him at UK, I wouldn't count on that either. The talent level at a place like UK is on a whole other level. Quigley won't even dominate at that level and he could destroy Nathan.

I wouldn't say that there is no way Nathan will win the state tournament this year. Do you remember last years state tournament? Nathan went down to Will Davis in three sets, but suffered from cramps which really turned the match around quick in the second set. Will advance to the quarter finals and fell to Jimmy Roebker in a tight match, and Jimmy would have advanced to the finals if he was on the other half of the draw. With Eric gone, the draw is wide open for many players. Nathan fell short of beating one of the best last year, but now its a year later. So there is no way I would say that there is no chance that Nathan could win the tournament this year.

As for getting a "scholly" to a small college, he would have no problem. But he is also at the level to walk on at the University of Kentucky.
nathan martin will win state and could go to any college in kentucky
[quote=LC.DOMINATION]nathan martin will win state and could go to any college in kentucky[/quote
no he won't...pikeville has some contenders and i dont think anybody will beat them
LC.DOMINATION Wrote:nathan martin will win state and could go to any college in kentucky

I hope he does win the state, but I don't even think Nathan himself would go as far as saying that he will win it. As for going to any college in Kentucky he can, but not on a tennis scholly. He probably wouldn't have any problem walking on at UK, but I don't see them handing out any scholarships to him or any other Kentucky players this year. Half the players on the major college level anymore are from other countries or California or Florida it seems. However, I'd love for Nathan to get a scholarship to UK though if that is what he wants!
Eaglewings42 Wrote:[quote=LC.DOMINATION]nathan martin will win state and could go to any college in kentucky[/quote
no he won't...pikeville has some contenders and i dont think anybody will beat them
Smile

PS: I'm laughing at your comment, not at the Pikeville players because they have some good ones, both boys and girls teams. But they have no players that will win all matches, not even in region.
well i beleive that the powell co. tennis team will go all the way this year, after all we do hav a good tennis court at the courts
EKY Sportster Wrote:[quote=Eaglewings42]
Smile

PS: I'm laughing at your comment, not at the Pikeville players because they have some good ones, both boys and girls teams. But they have no players that will win all matches, not even in region.
so you're laughing at the fact whats his name wont win state?
Eaglewings42 Wrote:[quote=EKY Sportster]
so you're laughing at the fact whats his name wont win state?

:confused: No I'm laughing that he thinks Pikeville will lose no matches and beat everyone. Notice the bold text of his comment.
If Coach H is wrong I don't wanna be right
I heard Craig Cooley was a beast on the tennis court. Anyone know anything about him? I'm thinking he goes to Prestonsburg.
Coach H Wrote:I really didn't want to get involved in this discussion but lets just take a walk down memory lane. Do you remember Jeremy Clark? He was a Blackcat and 5 time singles regional champion. How about Brent Music? 2 time regional singles champion. What about Bobby Hamilton also a regional singles champion from Prestonsburg. What about Russell Music jr and Mark McGuire also regional champions from Prestonsburg. And these people won when Prestonsburg was still in the region with all of the Ashland Teams. Not the weak region that you guys are in now. Prestonsburg has also had several players go on to play at the next level. Clark-Louisville 9th in NCAA doubles senior year, Hamilton- EKU 2 time OVC honorable mention, B.Music-UK #4 seed, M. McGuire Translylvania.several girls have also played at the next level from Prestonsburg. How many have played at the next level from your school?????? If you will read Blackcat#1's previous post he was not bashing doubles but what he said was true. Traditionally but not always the weaker players participate in doubles at the tournament level. I know the entire history of Prestonsburg tennis because I am one of those regional champions discussed above and I have coached the program for 22 years now. The program may be down right now but it has been a powerhouse in the past. We have the regional champion team trophies to prove it. You are right about one thing though, there is no I in team. But there is an I in win and the two have to go together. You can't have a successful team without winning...............................

Call me if you want to play. I can come to Bob Amos most any time. My number is in the phone book....Smile I would enjoy that very much. I'm just coming off an injury so you might have a shot!!!!!!

:Cheerlead :Cheerlead :Cheerlead
Anyone heard where any of our local senior girls and boys may be attending college and playing tennis?
Coach H Wrote:I really didn't want to get involved in this discussion but lets just take a walk down memory lane. Do you remember Jeremy Clark? He was a Blackcat and 5 time singles regional champion. How about Brent Music? 2 time regional singles champion. What about Bobby Hamilton also a regional singles champion from Prestonsburg. What about Russell Music jr and Mark McGuire also regional champions from Prestonsburg. And these people won when Prestonsburg was still in the region with all of the Ashland Teams. Not the weak region that you guys are in now. Prestonsburg has also had several players go on to play at the next level. Clark-Louisville 9th in NCAA doubles senior year, Hamilton- EKU 2 time OVC honorable mention, B.Music-UK #4 seed, M. McGuire Translylvania.several girls have also played at the next level from Prestonsburg. How many have played at the next level from your school?????? If you will read Blackcat#1's previous post he was not bashing doubles but what he said was true. Traditionally but not always the weaker players participate in doubles at the tournament level. I know the entire history of Prestonsburg tennis because I am one of those regional champions discussed above and I have coached the program for 22 years now. The program may be down right now but it has been a powerhouse in the past. We have the regional champion team trophies to prove it. You are right about one thing though, there is no I in team. But there is an I in win and the two have to go together. You can't have a successful team without winning...............................

Call me if you want to play. I can come to Bob Amos most any time. My number is in the phone book....Smile I would enjoy that very much. I'm just coming off an injury so you might have a shot!!!!!!

:Clap::Clap::Clap: might have a shot TongueirateSho
Ashland Tennis Center is posting a clay court tournament in January. Are there indoor clay courts, or do their clay courts just have a bubble roof like the ones in Huntington for indoor play?
They just have a bubble over them...but that's still pretty cool
thanks for the info Wall
EKY Sportster Wrote:I'd love to see Nathan win state because he is from Eastern Kentucky and he is a great kid. But in all seriousness, he is not likely to win state or even make to the semis. How deep he does go will depend on how well he prepares and plays. But no way would he win state. The talent at that level is just too good.

Actually Quigley is 37 in the country right now so i believe he is dominating.
The 13th region has some pretty good tennis programs. Corbin's boys are always tough and competitive at the state level. Middlesboro and Clay County's girls are very talented as well.
Corbin girls will be very strong again this year as well, Donnie Head continues to produce winners year after year. It will be interesting to see how the Middlesboro girls do with their new coach. Benny Collins had a very strong program in place, and it should carry through no matter who is at the realm now.
How well does Pikeville play? I have no idea.
brandi amburgey...anthony hall....wade johnson from pcc