Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New soccer field for Pikeville.
Panther Thunder Wrote:This is what I was going by, because he is who started the thread.

Oh well I insure you that if at all possible we will not take your alls Babe Ruth field that is not our intentions what so ever. We don't want to cause any inconvienience but it was the City's idea to place it up at Bob Amous not the college's. I hope it does not come down to us making any one "homeless" because we know how that feels.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Oh well I insure you that if at all possible we will not take your alls Babe Ruth field that is not our intentions what so ever. We don't want to cause any inconvienience but it was the City's idea to place it up at Bob Amous not the college's. I hope it does not come down to us making any one "homeless" because we know how that feels.
Sounds good.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Sounds good.

well i hope we all end up happy with what ever happens. Never know we could both get new nice fields :Thumbs:
To clear things up on the location of the fields:

http://www.geocities.com/bushcpas/PhsSoccerField.html
pikeville75 Wrote:To clear things up on the location of the fields:

http://www.geocities.com/bushcpas/PhsSoccerField.html

thanks for that link P75. I am sorry to say that it wasn't but I guess the plans just recently changed and I haven't spoken to COach about it in a month or so. But it will be a great facility I hate that we are doing that to the Babe Ruth field I really do. But in the end I think it will all work out just fine.
It is great that you guys are getting fields. As for Letcher Co Central, we don't know when we are getting our field. Right now we are using Whitesburg's old football field, and the rec league is using the old baseball field above the hospital. Hopefully when they get done with the baseball field which if another two weeks they can start talking about soccer, track and field, and softball. Congrats again on the field. Good luck this year in district play.
cougarpride08 Wrote:It is great that you guys are getting fields. As for Letcher Co Central, we don't know when we are getting our field. Right now we are using Whitesburg's old football field, and the rec league is using the old baseball field above the hospital. Hopefully when they get done with the baseball field which if another two weeks they can start talking about soccer, track and field, and softball. Congrats again on the field. Good luck this year in district play.

Hey mate it will all come with time, just sit back and go with the flow. Think of how long it has took us to get this soccer began around 7 or 8 years ago and we are just now getting a quality soccer field. Just give it time and everything will work out, hopefully it will come sooner for you guys. Good luck to you to mate.
In the fall the current turf field at Pikeville is used by:
Pikeville college football
Pikeville college men's soccer
Pikeville college women's soccer
Pikeville high school football all levels down thru junior high, varsity, JV, freshmen, junior high
Pikeville boy's soccer
Pikeville girl's soccer
With the heat index and all of those teams, there are teams practicing there until midnite...... it's a scheduling nightmare and there's no easy answer.

FOX SPORTS Wrote:Just a question and not a slam by any means...I personally know there are fields available during the day, Why are they training at midnight?

Is this the soccer TEAM training or just some soccer players training?

Also,There should be NO arguments as to whose field it is....the field is owned by the city of Pikeville for use by the residents of the city of Pikeville and leased to Pikeville HS and Pikeville College on an annual basis.
Last understanding I had of the situation was that the sport in season had priority, then scheduled fist come first serve after that.

The sport in season currently would be baseball. ..otherwise, If someone feels baseball is not the sport of priority at this time of year they should go ahead and cut out the infield at Hambley and turn it into parking
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:In the fall the current turf field at Pikeville is used by:
Pikeville college football
Pikeville college men's soccer
Pikeville college women's soccer
Pikeville high school football all levels down thru junior high, varsity, JV, freshmen, junior high
Pikeville boy's soccer
Pikeville girl's soccer
With the heat index and all of those teams, there are teams practicing there until midnite...... it's a scheduling nightmare and there's no easy answer.
Maybe the answer is that NONE of those teams use the turf field for practice and they each find another practice location???

Before there was turf, NO One was allowed to practice at Hambley

I don't have an answer, just a suggestion.
I am sorry, I just do not think that the solution lies in taking fields away from baseball at the expense of another sport. I could understand if it was property that was not being used for another purpose, but seriously. Why is the college not looking for a solution to this problem for their teams?
PHS95 Wrote:I am sorry, I just do not think that the solution lies in taking fields away from baseball at the expense of another sport. I could understand if it was property that was not being used for another purpose, but seriously. Why is the college not looking for a solution to this problem for their teams?

It is not that the college has not looked for other alternatives, there is just no land that any one is willing to give up. Origianly a thought was to have place a soccer field at a place that was bought out to place houses/apts at in which nothing would have been tampered with but it was bought b-4 the college could get everything worked out. I understand why everyone is upset. But if you think there was no problem with our scheduling then let the Babe Ruth league play their games at the high school. Just a thought.

Another thing that got annoying to us soccer players were other coaches from other sports trying to run us off the field during our scheduled practices. For instance one day a couple of college football coaches walked on to the field mid scrimmage and just stood around looking. Needless to say many were ticked. Conventionaly they left after a ball came soaring past their head. Fact of the matter we have gotten the shaft since soccer has began to grow around this area. There are a million baseball fields. And one soccer field which isn't even regualtion size within a 30 mile surrounding. SO tell me what should we do. We will take what the city gives us. Yet again I say if you have such a problem with it make a petition. If not then might as well get over it and go on with life. Just wish people would be happy for us rather then telling us we dont deserve it.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Just wish people would be happy for us rather then telling us we dont deserve it.
I don't believe anyone on this thread has said you don't deserve it and I think most are happy that soccer is getting it's own place.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:It is not that the college has not looked for other alternatives, there is just no land that any one is willing to give up. Origianly a thought was to have place a soccer field at a place that was bought out to place houses/apts at in which nothing would have been tampered with but it was bought b-4 the college could get everything worked out. I understand why everyone is upset. But if you think there was no problem with our scheduling then let the Babe Ruth league play their games at the high school. Just a thought.

Another thing that got annoying to us soccer players were other coaches from other sports trying to run us off the field during our scheduled practices. For instance one day a couple of college football coaches walked on to the field mid scrimmage and just stood around looking. Needless to say many were ticked. Conventionaly they left after a ball came soaring past their head. Fact of the matter we have gotten the shaft since soccer has began to grow around this area. There are a million baseball fields. And one soccer field which isn't even regualtion size within a 30 mile surrounding. SO tell me what should we do. We will take what the city gives us. Yet again I say if you have such a problem with it make a petition. If not then might as well get over it and go on with life. Just wish people would be happy for us rather then telling us we dont deserve it.

All I said is I do not believe that it is right to take away a baseball field from a group of kids to give a different field to a different group of kids.... I am entitled to my opinion. You say there are plenty of baseball fields... yes, of little league and softball size.... Where is there another baseball field of this size (other than Hambley) in the city of Pikeville? There isn't! I'm not at all unhappy.... just questioning the decision to rob Peter to pay Paul, so to speak!
PHS95 Wrote:All I said is I do not believe that it is right to take away a baseball field from a group of kids to give a different field to a different group of kids.... I am entitled to my opinion. You say there are plenty of baseball fields... yes, of little league and softball size.... Where is there another baseball field of this size (other than Hambley) in the city of Pikeville? There isn't! I'm not at all unhappy.... just questioning the decision to rob Peter to pay Paul, so to speak!

The college field.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I don't believe anyone on this thread has said you don't deserve it and I think most are happy that soccer is getting it's own place.

Honestly Foxs half of the people that have asked me about the new field are actually very unhappy that we are getting our own field. From what people have said to me about it off this site despite the soccer community are very unhappy that we are getting our own field.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:The college field.

No lights, and, unless I am incorrect, half or more of the games are played in the evenings when you need lights.....
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Honestly Foxs half of the people that have asked me about the new field are actually very unhappy that we are getting our own field. From what people have said to me about it off this site despite the soccer community are very unhappy that we are getting our own field.

I don't think anyone cares that you are getting your own field, I think they are dissatisfied with the result, i.e. taking away from one group to give to you.....
PHS95 Wrote:No lights, and, unless I am incorrect, half or more of the games are played in the evenings when you need lights.....

By next season the field is going to have lights or rather is supposed to TongueirateSho
PHS95 Wrote:I don't think anyone cares that you are getting your own field, I think they are dissatisfied with the result, i.e. taking away from one group to give to you.....

I dont understadn why Hambley can not be used, Johns Creek has a very nice baseball field that is not used as well :thumpsup:
Most of the actual babe ruth prep and games occurs concurrent to the high school season.... After that, fine, use Hambley.... then you run into other conditioning and such from other teams that use the other half of the field. Johns Creek may have a nice field, but what likelihood is there for the PIKEVILLE babe ruth to use a field at Johns Creek? Not just that, but why should Pikeville students HAVE to go to Johns Creek for a field?

If the soccer teams deserve their own field, why don't the kids who play Babe Ruth? What you are saying is a double standard. You didn't like having to run around looking for a regulation field to play on that was convenient.... why should they be put in the same position you just came out of?
PHS95 Wrote:Most of the actual babe ruth prep and games occurs concurrent to the high school season.... After that, fine, use Hambley.... then you run into other conditioning and such from other teams that use the other half of the field. Johns Creek may have a nice field, but what likelihood is there for the PIKEVILLE babe ruth to use a field at Johns Creek? Not just that, but why should Pikeville students HAVE to go to Johns Creek for a field?

If the soccer teams deserve their own field, why don't the kids who play Babe Ruth? What you are saying is a double standard. You didn't like having to run around looking for a regulation field to play on that was convenient.... why should they be put in the same position you just came out of?

Why can't Pikeville just go ahead and join up with the County for a change rather then segregating themselves? Johns Creek no longer has a babe ruth league any how so many of them play at Pikeville so actually it makes sense. The likely hood is actually very good, the field is used for nothing rather then High School soccer practices. The needs to be used I would love to see it happen to be honest. As well you never commented on that the College field will have lights by next spring so why not play half at Hambley half at the College both of which are great fields.

When you also look at it one of the main reasons this is taking place is so that THE HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE teams will have a field rather then having to play on the football/baseball field. Makes more sense when prioritising (spelling) by the city. I am not saying it is right I completly understand where you are coming from. But honestly we were in a much greater disadvantage. I have named off 3 fields withing 10 to 15 miles which would be perfect. While out closest was one field and that was in Johnson County. It is also common knowlege that really the Babe Ruth league will not have to do that much running around considering people are more willing to work with a baseball program then soccer and that is simply the truth. To also add to that the Babe Ruth field construction will not begin until the next May as it is planned right now. So they have a year to find a solution and IMO I will say it will be resolved by Feburary.
I, honestly, don't care one way or another.... I just don't like the insinuation that one sport should take priority over another. In my opinion, they should all be on level ground. You have kids that like both, you have kids that prefer one or the other.... The city simply needs to come up with a solution that will replace their field in some way!
PHS95 Wrote:I, honestly, don't care one way or another.... I just don't like the insinuation that one sport should take priority over another. In my opinion, they should all be on level ground. You have kids that like both, you have kids that prefer one or the other.... The city simply needs to come up with a solution that will replace their field in some way!
and like I have said many times on this site, they will and it will be sooner rather then later. Also if you dont like the insinuation that one sport is better then another maybe you should take a stroll to your own BOE and tell them that b/c the soccer team over there is treated like crap by the adminstration and get screwed in any way possible. Nearly everyone around this area say that soccer sucks and blah blah. So honestly even though IT IS un fair to the Babe Ruth league. I am happy for ONCE we are getting placed before a recreational league because honestly b-4 we have been unable to practice because of a Babe Ruth game at Hambley. ALso do not try to say they do not play there b/c they do play a select few of games there. Also its not necersarily that they are insnuating that one sport is higher on the priority list you should be taking the insinuation that a field for a COllege and High School school team is higher then a Recreational league. I apologize that I am happy that we are getting it and honestly i feel sorry for the Babe Ruth league. BUT......After everything that has happened to us I have very little sympathy for those out of the league that are upset.
And my only point is, after having the same stuff done to you, you should have more sympathy.... As long as it is fair for all, I have no problem, but even after your fields are built, I am sure there will be something else to fight about.
PHS95 Wrote:And my only point is, after having the same stuff done to you, you should have more sympathy.... As long as it is fair for all, I have no problem, but even after your fields are built, I am sure there will be something else to fight about.
No that is all we want, we have never even really fought for it. Yes we discussed it as a group but never went forawrd with it except for thinking about buying land at one point. This is the cities doing. I do have sympathy for the ones who participate but not for those who are not involved with the sport that have done nothing but put us down who are upset about it. Why should I be?
Good luck with the new fields....
Jshort5 Wrote:Sports PrioritiesIn order of most important to least, IN MY OPINION!
  • Baseball
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Volleyball
  • Cheerleading
  • Golf
  • SOCCER

+exactly how many baseball fields and football fields does the city of pikeville have.
while everyone is thinking tell me how many soccer fields does the other schools in pike county besides pikeville have. come on share some of the wealth with the rest of the county.they take the money from the county revenue and build in the city limits.then they take the revenue from that and put back in the city.instead of putting back in the county.were it should go
chop1990 Wrote:+exactly how many baseball fields and football fields does the city of pikeville have.
while everyone is thinking tell me how many soccer fields does the other schools in pike county besides pikeville have. come on share some of the wealth with the rest of the county.they take the money from the county revenue and build in the city limits.then they take the revenue from that and put back in the city.instead of putting back in the county.were it should go

First of all, I don't think that county revenue goes to the city. People that live in the city pay county taxes AND city taxes. Secondly, if you look at the coal severence priorities that were in last week's Medical Leader, the projects for the city are on the bottom of the list.

Pikeville is fortunate to have city run facilities at Bob Amos and Hambley that are used by the high school, college, and other independent groups and leagues. There are three full baseball fields (soon to be two as the soccer field takes one) one at the college (owned and built by the college), and one at Hambley that is operated by the city of Pikeville and used by Pikeville High School. As far as football fields, there is ONE, owned by the city (at Hambley) and used by the college team and the high school! Prior to the city's committment to convert Bob Amos into soccer facilities, the field at Hambley was used by two high school soccer teams, two college soccer teams, all phases of PHS football, and PC football. The smart, economical decision was to turn fields at Bob Amos into soccer because of the shear expense of replacing turf IF the rate of usage was maintained over the course of years!