Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New soccer field for Pikeville.
There will be a regulation size field put in up at Bob Amos beside the track. There will also be a practice field put at the lower level of Bob Amos where the softball field is.
pikeville75 Wrote:There will be a regulation size field put in up at Bob Amos beside the track. There will also be a practice field put at the lower level of Bob Amos where the softball field is.

actually the plans are to have both at the lower end at the softball field unless they have changed. Last time Coach DeCook and I talked that was the plan, the guy who is going to put the lights in was there the last time I was up there. Also there is a parking lot to split the two fields. I didn't think there was enough room so chances are you maybe right. This is a great thing for the soccer community, good thing is it will be strictly for soccer and nothing else!
This is a sad day. No Babe Ruth field, moving the minor league field. And people wander why Pikeville baseball is slowly declining. This with almost assure mediocrity for a long time. There is already a soccer complex by walmart. Why do they need a new field? That field has been there for many years, and no one has had a problem with it. All I know is if they make this move, there better be someone on that field every second of the day.
Panther Thunder Wrote:This is a sad day. No Babe Ruth field, moving the minor league field. And people wander why Pikeville baseball is slowly declining. This with almost assure mediocrity for a long time. There is already a soccer complex by walmart. Why do they need a new field? That field has been there for many years, and no one has had a problem with it. All I know is if they make this move, there better be someone on that field every second of the day.

You think baseball is taking a hit then just wait and see what it does to football.
Sports PrioritiesIn order of most important to least, IN MY OPINION!
  • Baseball
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Volleyball
  • Cheerleading
  • Golf
  • SOCCER
While I don't understand moving two perfectly good baseball fields in order to accommodate a new soccer field, soccer is the "coming thing." It just seems a waste of space when you have a couple of dilapidated fields near the YMCA that could be used instead.
Well all I have to say is I am extremely happy with what the city and college are doing. We need this bad for one thing right now the college soccer team is having to train at MIDNIGHT. If the field keeps on being used the way it is at Pikeville High School it is not going to last long. It is going to be great for the soccer community to have a place to call home rather then having to play at the ragged places we have to play at right now. Will not have to be any more arguments among other sports as to whos field it is and such. It is a necessity and if some of you think not then you are blind.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well all I have to say is I am extremely happy with what the city and college are doing. We need this bad for one thing right now the college soccer team is having to train at MIDNIGHT. If the field keeps on being used the way it is at Pikeville High School it is not going to last long. It is going to be great for the soccer community to have a place to call home rather then having to play at the ragged places we have to play at right now. Will not have to be any more arguments among other sports as to whos field it is and such. It is a necessity and if some of you think not then you are blind.

I agree, IDK the situation in Pikeville but if they have to practice at midnight I guess they do need a field.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:actually the plans are to have both at the lower end at the softball field unless they have changed. Last time Coach DeCook and I talked that was the plan, the guy who is going to put the lights in was there the last time I was up there. Also there is a parking lot to split the two fields. I didn't think there was enough room so chances are you maybe right. This is a great thing for the soccer community, good thing is it will be strictly for soccer and nothing else!

well when i looked at the designs for them one was beside the track and one was beside the softball field..they may have changed plans though.

i heard that they will be done by the end of the year.
pikeville75 Wrote:well when i looked at the designs for them one was beside the track and one was beside the softball field..they may have changed plans though.

Yeah that is what Coach DeCook has told me as well that they will be done by my senior year which will be nice. I am very very excited about this.
Panther Thunder Wrote:This is a sad day. No Babe Ruth field, moving the minor league field. And people wander why Pikeville baseball is slowly declining. This with almost assure mediocrity for a long time. There is already a soccer complex by walmart. Why do they need a new field? That field has been there for many years, and no one has had a problem with it. All I know is if they make this move, there better be someone on that field every second of the day.

how many total sports fields does pikeville have.football,soccer,baseball,ect.

That soccer "complex" you are refering to by wal-mart is a terrible place to play. Actually pretty much EVERYONE HATES to play there so unless you have actually played there and have a mind of every soccer player in Pikeville how can you say we dont have a problem with it. We have been attempting to find a better place for a long time and now it is finally happening. I agree though the Babe Ruth league at the YMCA has went down over the past few years but a lot of that has to do with kids are not as commited any more. Look at back when Gravy and Mims coaches the All Star team BY FAR the best team they ever had and that was because those two had the kids wanting to play. Now a days it is just way to political, kids are to worried about their socal life and playing video game. Now you do have your select few that play All Star leagues through the summer but other than that not so much. The soccer field is much needed. For one the field beside wal-mart is not took care of, it is not regulation side, it is not level, it does not have good drainage and so on. If you do not think this should happen then I say to you petition. But this field is greatly needed and IMO they do not need to take out the BR field and just needed to do it the way that I stated earlier as to how the plans were suppost to be so EVERYONE is happy. :thumpsup:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well all I have to say is I am extremely happy with what the city and college are doing. We need this bad for one thing right now the college soccer team is having to train at MIDNIGHT. If the field keeps on being used the way it is at Pikeville High School it is not going to last long. It is going to be great for the soccer community to have a place to call home rather then having to play at the ragged places we have to play at right now. Will not have to be any more arguments among other sports as to whos field it is and such. It is a necessity and if some of you think not then you are blind.
Just a question and not a slam by any means...I personally know there are fields available during the day, Why are they training at midnight?

Is this the soccer TEAM training or just some soccer players training?

Also,There should be NO arguments as to whose field it is....the field is owned by the city of Pikeville for use by the residents of the city of Pikeville and leased to Pikeville HS and Pikeville College on an annual basis.
Last understanding I had of the situation was that the sport in season had priority, then scheduled fist come first serve after that.

The sport in season currently would be baseball. ..otherwise, If someone feels baseball is not the sport of priority at this time of year they should go ahead and cut out the infield at Hambley and turn it into parking
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:That soccer "complex" you are refering to by wal-mart is a terrible place to play. Actually pretty much EVERYONE HATES to play there so unless you have actually played there and have a mind of every soccer player in Pikeville how can you say we dont have a problem with it. We have been attempting to find a better place for a long time and now it is finally happening. I agree though the Babe Ruth league at the YMCA has went down over the past few years but a lot of that has to do with kids are not as commited any more. Look at back when Gravy and Mims coaches the All Star team BY FAR the best team they ever had and that was because those two had the kids wanting to play. Now a days it is just way to political, kids are to worried about their socal life and playing video game. Now you do have your select few that play All Star leagues through the summer but other than that not so much. The soccer field is much needed. For one the field beside wal-mart is not took care of, it is not regulation side, it is not level, it does not have good drainage and so on. If you do not think this should happen then I say to you petition. But this field is greatly needed and IMO they do not need to take out the BR field and just needed to do it the way that I stated earlier as to how the plans were suppost to be so EVERYONE is happy. :thumpsup:
Well as a matter of fact I have played there, and it might not be great, but just because it isn't I don't see why the move is necessary. What happens if interest in Baseball goes on an incline again? Since the soccer would have the better playing field should they be forced to give it up? I don't know maybe I jut don't like change. But I do know one thing, is that baseball is being killed by summer football, basketball, and pure laziness. Now-a-days no one wants to play because it's summer and I want to go on vacation. I know of one very good baseball player that won't play baseball because he doesn't want to miss spring break. Too much emphasis is being placed on social status, and baseball isn't the thing to do. It's pretty sad, but when able I will try to help out with the baseball in the Pikeville area and hopefully get some interest back into the sport. Until then I don't know about it.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Just a question and not a slam by any means...I personally know there are fields available during the day, Why are they training at midnight?

Is this the soccer TEAM training or just some soccer players training?

Also,There should be NO arguments as to whose field it is....the field is owned by the city of Pikeville for use by the residents of the city of Pikeville and leased to Pikeville HS and Pikeville College on an annual basis.
Last understanding I had of the situation was that the sport in season had priority, then scheduled fist come first serve after that.

The sport in season currently would be baseball. ..otherwise, If someone feels baseball is not the sport of priority at this time of year they should go ahead and cut out the infield at Hambley and turn it into parking
I know a lot of people that play soccer that go to the field that late just to play, because they leave the lights on for them.
Yes Fox it is the actual team that trains that late at night, during baseball it wasn't that bad we trained from 8 to 10 on the normal night. Just so you know you worded the question very well and it didn't sound like a slam. The reason we train that late is because it is a good surface to play on and it gives us a regulation field to scrimmage 11 V 11. The other fields are not very big at all. On nights that Pikeville Football has games we go to Bob Amous to train but it is rough training on crap fields. Especially when it rains its just about not worth it. TO add to that you also have cross country so where else is there to train?

Ok Panther Thunder do you understand that to be able to play a college match the field has to be a specific length and width? The field at Wal-Mart could never be used as a place to play as well the YMCA who IT IS owned by would have to give up rights to allow the teams to train. Now tell me this why can't the Babe Ruth play at the high school field. Normely their games are on the weekend. There are several other fields around the area. IMO a lot of this has to do with you don't think it is necessary because it is a soccer field being place there. If it was a vise versa you would be all "awesome this is great". Now THE PLAN AND PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS "PT"!!!!!! The field LAST TIME I looked at the prints which was a couple of months ago has both fields at the old softball field which would NOT cause for any distruction of the Babe Ruth or Little League fields.

Another reason this change is taking place everyone is due to how much the turf field is used right now. If the change does not take place then the field will not maintain in a good playing condition I mean think about all that goes on there.

1. College Football
2. High School Football
3. High School soccer Boys
4. Girls
5. College soccer BOys
6. Girls
7. Baseball

now once the soccer fields are built that number decreases to 3. If these fields are not built the Turf is going to have to be replace around every 10-15 years due to the conditions. I just think everyone benefits from it. But everyone has their own opinons.
pikeville75 Wrote:well when i looked at the designs for them one was beside the track and one was beside the softball field..they may have changed plans though.

15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Yeah that is what Coach DeCook has told me as well that they will be done by my senior year which will be nice. I am very very excited about this.

15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Ok Panther Thunder do you understand that to be able to play a college match the field has to be a specific length and width? The field at Wal-Mart could never be used as a place to play as well the YMCA who IT IS owned by would have to give up rights to allow the teams to train. Now tell me this why can't the Babe Ruth play at the high school field. Normely their games are on the weekend. There are several other fields around the area. IMO a lot of this has to do with you don't think it is necessary because it is a soccer field being place there. If it was a vise versa you would be all "awesome this is great". Now THE PLAN AND PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS "PT"!!!!!! The field LAST TIME I looked at the prints which was a couple of months ago has both fields at the old softball field which would NOT cause for any distruction of the Babe Ruth or Little League fields.
You just contradicted yourself. Which one is it? Are they taking the softball field and Babe Ruth Field, or just the softball, or just the Babe Ruth field.

And I just got finished umpiring Babe Ruth and they played one Saturday as to about 6-7 week days. Babe Ruth plays often on the same night as the high school. And what other baseball fields are there?

And if they were taking a soccer field out to make a baseball to make a baseball field I would feel it unnecessary, because the baseball field situation is adequate right now.
Panther Thunder Wrote:You just contradicted yourself. Which one is it? Are they taking the softball field and Babe Ruth Field, or just the softball, or just the Babe Ruth field.

And I just got finished umpiring Babe Ruth and they played one Saturday as to about 6-7 week days. Babe Ruth plays often on the same night as the high school. And what other baseball fields are there?

And if they were taking a soccer field out to make a baseball to make a baseball field I would feel it unnecessary, because the baseball field situation is adequate right now.

I did not contradict my self I was saying that coach Decook told me that the fields would be done by my senior year MEANING they would be done in the Spring/SUmmer of 09'.

You have fields at Johns Creek that are unused, a field at Mullins which is Unused right there are two that are REGULATION size and have potential to be great fields is some one would take care of them.

I am saying that if the soccer field was where the Babe Ruth field was RIGHT NOW and they were putting a new Babe Ruth field in and taking the soccer field away. You would be fine with it?

I just don't see how you can say that the field at Wal Mart is adequete the field is 60 yards long if that and only about 40 yards wide. NEWS FLASH a REGULATION soccer field is 120 by 80 on the normality at min. 100 by 60
also PT I guess you just aren't comprehending that this field is MAINLY for the High School and College programs. IMO that is more important then Babe Ruth baseball.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I did not contradict my self I was saying that coach Decook told me that the fields would be done by my senior year MEANING they would be done in the Spring/SUmmer of 09'.

You have fields at Johns Creek that are unused, a field at Mullins which is Unused right there are two that are REGULATION size and have potential to be great fields is some one would take care of them.

I am saying that if the soccer field was where the Babe Ruth field was RIGHT NOW and they were putting a new Babe Ruth field in and taking the soccer field away. You would be fine with it?

I just don't see how you can say that the field at Wal Mart is adequete the field is 60 yards long if that and only about 40 yards wide. NEWS FLASH a REGULATION soccer field is 120 by 80 on the normality at min. 100 by 60
And I said no. But if those fields would be nice places why not convert those to soccer fields, since they are not currently being used by baseball?
Panther Thunder Wrote:And I said no. But if those fields would be nice places why not convert those to soccer fields, since they are not currently being used by baseball?

B/c you said the current baseball field situation is "because the baseball field situation is adequate right now." Then what is the problem with placing a soccer field at the Babe Ruth field since the baseball situation would be adequate w/ out it right now. You are confusing me.

Well here is the problem the city is paying for the new soccer fields. THe baseball fields are not with in city limits so they can not buy them w/ out lenghtining the city limits. :thumpsup:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:B/c you said the current baseball field situation is "because the baseball field situation is adequate right now." Then what is the problem with placing a soccer field at the Babe Ruth field since the baseball situation would be adequate w/ out it right now. You are confusing me.

Well here is the problem the city is paying for the new soccer fields. THe baseball fields are not with in city limits so they can not buy them w/ out lenghtining the city limits. :thumpsup:
Because AS OF RIGHT NOW it is a baseball field. But I give, all hail to soccer :igiveup:. Have fun with the field.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Because AS OF RIGHT NOW it is a baseball field. But I give, all hail to soccer :igiveup:. Have fun with the field.

Ok PT focus for me alright. Let me break this down for you because you are not understanding what i was saying.

WE ARE TALKING HYPOTHETICAL HERE.

Visualize a socer field where the Babe Ruth field is RIGHT NOW. In other words right now the BABE RUTH FIELD DOES NOT EXSIST AT ALL. NADA NO SUCH THING IT IS A SOCCER FIELD. GOt it?

Now...We find out they are taking away that soccer field for a Babe RUth baseball field.

Would that be right?
Panther Thunder Wrote:Have fun with the field.

Oh I will...Can't wait!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Ok PT focus for me alright. Let me break this down for you because you are not understanding what i was saying.

WE ARE TALKING HYPOTHETICAL HERE.

Visualize a socer field where the Babe Ruth field is RIGHT NOW. In other words right now the BABE RUTH FIELD DOES NOT EXSIST AT ALL. NADA NO SUCH THING IT IS A SOCCER FIELD. GOt it?

Now...We find out they are taking away that soccer field for a Babe RUth baseball field.

Would that be right?
No. Even if the need was there for it, I would say find a place to play that doesn't put an organization in the same situation you were just in. If you want to play the importance card then go for it. Importance is a relative term, to be determined by each individual. But as it turns out it will become a soccer field and there is nothing to do about it, so time to look for a new place to play ball.
Panther Thunder Wrote:No. Even if the need was there for it, I would say find a place to play that doesn't put an organization in the same situation you were just in. If you want to play the importance card then go for it. Importance is a relative term, to be determined by each individual. But as it turns out it will become a soccer field and there is nothing to do about it, so time to look for a new place to play ball.

If you would just understand PT the plans as of 2 months ago were NOT to take away your field it was to be placed AT THE SOFTBALL FIELD. Now it may have changed since then, if so I am not aware.

Now if they do take place the soccer field up on the top flat, the could always turn the softball field into a Babe Ruth field b/c there is enough room.
By the way I am not playing any type of card I am just stating the facts for you which you are disregarding.

Question how was you umpiring a Babe Ruth game when you are 16 years old?
pikeville75 Wrote:There will be a regulation size field put in up at Bob Amos beside the track. There will also be a practice field put at the lower level of Bob Amos where the softball field is.

This is what I was going by, because he is who started the thread.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:By the way I am not playing any type of card I am just stating the facts for you which you are disregarding.

Question how was you umpiring a Babe Ruth game when you are 16 years old?
I have a pretty good understanding and intelligence of the game, or at least would like to think so.