Poll: Who to beat
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
35.56%
Hazard
23.70%
Knott Central
19.26%
Letcher Central
7.41%
Other
14.07%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the better Mountain team for 2009?
letthebighogroot Wrote:Wow, is he that old? He's closing in on Justice.Big Grin

Elisha will graduate at 19 just like a lot of todays high school players. There are many players in this area who will be 19 a few months before Elisha will.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Elisha will graduate at 19 just like a lot of todays high school players. There are many players in this area who will be 19 a few months before Elisha will.

well, the whole age thing is off topic, but if what u say is true I think that is terrible that region wide there is gonna be several players pushing 20 years old before they graduate.
Yeah, approaching 20 is a bit extreme for high school in my opinion.

I was not just talking about the 15th Region--it is much the same, if not worse, in the 13th and 14th. Pike County stopped allowing kids to hold back 3 years ago and it has really put the teams at a disadvantage when playing teams from Letcher, Perry, Martin, and Johnson Counties. Not that I am a supporter of holdbacks, but we played a team last year with 10+ 15 year olds and stood absolutely no chance even though we had a good ball team.

Now back to the topic. I see SV, Hazard, and Knott as being really close in talent next year. I am a Valley supporter, but I can definitely see their weaknesses which I believe are consistent outside shooting, half court defense, and a real go to guy like Jacob Bryant has been over the past few years. They are good defensively in some areas, but give up way too many easy baskets. I do, however, believe that Deven Adams will help in this area.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Yeah, I coached most of those boys in grade school and never did we have one ounce of friction. Most of these boys actually enjoy playing with each other and enjoy basketball. If you call getting a technical in summer ball a preview of a blow up, KCC is in for one too

I don,t call getting a technical in any season a blowup. I am talking about dealing with playing time and boys being replaced by new players. And parents not liking the way things are going.
fly on the wall Wrote:I don,t call getting a technical in any season a blowup. I am talking about dealing with playing time and boys being replaced by new players. And parents not liking the way things are going.

If that is the case, then KCC is in much more danger of having a blowup because they have more new players than SV. The addition of Adams will probably hurt Curby Tackett the most, but having 3-4 big men is a good problem to have. As far a guards, they have Elisha who will play most of the game, and Logan Bryant, Tyler Newsome, and Cody Varney will share time at the 2, with Tyler and Cody possibly playing a little at the 3. They will have 8 players who will see considerable playing time which I see as being much more of a positive than a negative. Players will have to get used to sharing time, but I think they'll do that.

As far at KCC, don't they have 2 or 3 new players. I don't know much about their team, but it could possibly be a problem. What do you think?
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:If that is the case, then KCC is in much more danger of having a blowup because they have more new players than SV. The addition of Adams will probably hurt Curby Tackett the most, but having 3-4 big men is a good problem to have. As far a guards, they have Elisha who will play most of the game, and Logan Bryant, Tyler Newsome, and Cody Varney will share time at the 2, with Tyler and Cody possibly playing a little at the 3. They will have 8 players who will see considerable playing time which I see as being much more of a positive than a negative. Players will have to get used to sharing time, but I think they'll do that.

As far at KCC, don't they have 2 or 3 new players. I don't know much about their team, but it could possibly be a problem. What do you think?

They have 2 new players, but they are not taking any ones place. They didn't have a point guard. Now they have one. There will be no problem there.
fly on the wall Wrote:They have 2 new players, but they are not taking any ones place. They didn't have a point guard. Now they have one. There will be no problem there.

Adams is not taking anyone's place either. SV lost 1 starter from last year (Jacob Bryant), so assuming Adams starts he will simply slide into the spot vacated by Bryant. Valley never really had a true big man starting last year, so Adams actually fills a need, rather than creating a glut at an already stacked position.

The only player who would be directly affected by Adams is Curby Newsome, who was returning as the only true big man on the team. Because of this, he likely would have had to play more, but in my opinion big men need more rest during the game. So it really should benefit SV to have not only a big guy starting, but also another one off the bench.

Now, if Valley had gotten a guard as a transfer? That may have been a different story...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Adams is not taking anyone's place either. SV lost 1 starter from last year (Jacob Bryant), so assuming Adams starts he will simply slide into the spot vacated by Bryant. Valley never really had a true big man starting last year, so Adams actually fills a need, rather than creating a glut at an already stacked position.

The only player who would be directly affected by Adams is Curby Newsome, who was returning as the only true big man on the team. Because of this, he likely would have had to play more, but in my opinion big men need more rest during the game. So it really should benefit SV to have not only a big guy starting, but also another one off the bench.

Now, if Valley had gotten a guard as a transfer? That may have been a different story...

thats true. No good guard would transfer there. I think you will see about Adams, you got his dad, [ not a plus ] and he will take playing time from Hatfield or the Newsomes. You can only play 5 players at the time. Justice will be alright and Bryant
As far as playing time is concerned, the way it worked this summer is Deven, Ashley and Kurby all three was subbing in and out the whole game. Seems like it would be a good thing because you know you have a break coming soon and you can play harder.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:As far as playing time is concerned, the way it worked this summer is Deven, Ashley and Kurby all three was subbing in and out the whole game. Seems like it would be a good thing because you know you have a break coming soon and you can play harder.
You really think Hatfield wants to share his spot with 2 other players? I don't think so. and I don't blame him. He has earned his place. Just about the time you get warmed up, they pull you out. Nobody gets that tired.
fly on the wall Wrote:thats true. No good guard would transfer there. I think you will see about Adams, you got his dad, [ not a plus ] and he will take playing time from Hatfield or the Newsomes. You can only play 5 players at the time. Justice will be alright and Bryant

He will not take playing time from them. Hatfield and Taylor Newsome (assuming he is healthy) will still be starting and playing major minutes at forward, so how does that affect them? As for Tyler Newsome, he is a guard and an outside shooter, so Adams is not taking his time either. He may play a few less minutes off the bench, but not a huge difference.

The one player who lost major minutes out of this is Curby Tackett. As the only true big man, he likely would have started instead. But I think with Valley's uptempo style, big men like him and Adams get winded more easily, so this can only be a good thing. I don't see Adams having to play as much as he did last year, and Tackett will still get good minutes off the bench.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think that Hazard is the best team, but the best team doesnt always win. Hazard has the experience and talent in both their coaching staff and players. However, i hate saying this, but i think perry will make a run in the 14th region and maybe upset some teams. They didnt lose much from last years region runners up team. Should be a fun season to watch
anklebreaker Wrote:They will be a decent team next year...returning banks and blair...
but the 14th is just 2 tough for the cougars i think

thats not all they return....i know they are the 2 key players but you also have Jordan Reynolds, Josh Profitt, and Eric Ison...that will be your starting 5 and they all are seniors.
Letcher Central will be very good next year but there are so many tough teams I can't say who will be the best.
The 13th region will feature 3 of the top 10 teams in the mountains next year.

Corbin
South L.
Clay Co.

All three of these teams will be loaded with talent.
Survivor Wrote:It's you're not your. They let people like me post on here because I know what I'm talking about. Knott will not come close to Hazard next year. Nobody will. Hazard lost only 2 games in the state of KY this year before the state tournament. What makes you thank that adding Cox to a team that was mediocre at best can contend with the mighty Dawgs? I also heard today that Hazard is adding another great player to an already great team. Miller from Knox Central will be attending Hazard next year. I think you just may see a state championship title for the bulldogs.:rockon:

Well School started Wednesday here at Knox central and Cody Miller is still at Central, so he's not going to Hazard.
Survivor Wrote:I doubt that Knott will even be in the WYMT. They are usually not in it when it's at PCC because they are so weak. So, I doubt your boys will even be playing. Hazard should win everything they play in next year with ease.
Sorry to tell you, but Knott is playing in the WYMT and the MVP of last years tourny will be playing for Knott. They have beat Hazard 4 out of 5 times this summer in tournaments at the sportsplex. Hazard had all their players.
In the 15th Shelby Valley.
Shelby Valley
free throw Wrote:Sorry to tell you, but Knott is playing in the WYMT and the MVP of last years tourny will be playing for Knott. They have beat Hazard 4 out of 5 times this summer in tournaments at the sportsplex. Hazard had all their players.

Don't be sorry! If that's suppose to impress me, IT DIDNT! Summer ball means nothing and I mean nothing. KCC won't stand a chance when they play Hazard. Just wait and see big boy.:rockon:
Survivor Wrote:Don't be sorry! If that's suppose to impress me, IT DIDNT! Summer ball means nothing and I mean nothing. KCC won't stand a chance when they play Hazard. Just wait and see big boy.:rockon:
I wasn't trying to impress YOU. If you could have seen how shook up Hazard was, they even called in help. " Big boy" now that impresses me. You sound like a girl or a certain boy i've heard talk before. I think he is a cheerleading coach. Big Grin
kyrifle Wrote:Yes Elliott is a mountain team. Just not in the WYMT viewing area so people assume that only teams they mention on air are mountain teams. Can't get anymore in the mountains than Elliott.
I'm with you, that is my pick also.
Highest mountain in:

Elliott County. Limestone Knob 1,409' above sea level
Floyd County. 2,320'
Bell County. 3,500
Letcher County. 3,720
Harlan County. 4,145

You can get a lot more mountainous in Kentucky than Elliott County.
rojas Wrote:Highest mountain in:

Elliott County. Limestone Knob 1,409' above sea level
Floyd County. 2,320'
Bell County. 3,500
Letcher County. 3,720
Harlan County. 4,145

You can get a lot more mountainous in Kentucky than Elliott County.

Just curious, how do they compare (using your method) with the rest of the "mountain" counties?
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)