Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg or Belfry? Who is the strongest in 2005.
Blackcat Pride Wrote:Your right Happy you do have 2 state championship rings and we (Prestonsburg) have none. But then again the past two years in the playoffs all youve had to do is beat us and after that it has been a cakewalk. So had Prestonburg beat Belfry the past two years in the playoffs I could be saying the same thing. But you're right we didnt beat you guys these past two years. And I think what everyone is trying to say with the whole "Pburg has had the better team...etc", is that Belfry had the two best players in the state whereas Pburg had the best team as a whole. But it's not worth arguing over. Whats done is done.

1-11 P'Burg may have been more athletic.

1-11 Belfry had better football players.

While I agree that Doug Howard and David Jones were excellent players, they could not have won a tough game against P'Burg without the help of their teammates. They may have been the difference, but you substitute 9 guys from lessor program in place of Belfry's other 9 and P'Burg wins.

What I'm saying is, those other 9 guys can play. I had my doubts about all of them except Gary Childers & Michael Hackney because they were returning starters, too. But the other 7 proved beyond a shadow of doubt that they can play some football. And they are the ones that have the ring to prove it, not you or I.
HappyGilmore Wrote:
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:I agree with you basketballer.. Pburg gave it away last season to Belfry..
but I think Pburg will be the better team this year because Belfry lost too much

Why don't we just go ahead and say P'burg gave us all of the wins in the 5 straight times we've defeated them.

I mean obviously Prestonburg had the better team. :? Big Grin

:roll:

BTW....If I could I would put two rings on that little finger thats wagging just to help prove my point.

Imagine this :? :? with two big, shiny, AA State Championship rings and a Pirate emblem engraved on them.

That would clearly show Prestonsburg had the better team the last two years and that all 4 of those losses (5 counting 2002) were fluke, shouldn't have happened, and by no means indicative of the superior team winning the football game.

Now, I'm usually not one to brag, but stop with the lame excuses and start calling a spade what it is......a spade.

Too bad 2A wasnt as weak in 01 ... because the Pburg team that year was one of the best to ever come out of the mountains.. the past 2 years were WEAK
It took blockers for Doug & David to break free for that yardage....They could'nt have done it all on their own. Doug did drag a couple of those O'Cath guys with him on that big long 65 yd td dash in the Title game.....That is the most memorable play I love....That one and all the stiff arms he gave 8) Smile :?: :?: :?: Idea

Oh yeah...I also loved the stutter step in the same play...I just keep running it through my head....I love it each time !

Man, Watching Doug Howard was a treat to watch on Friday nights....... Sad
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:I agree with you basketballer.. Pburg gave it away last season to Belfry..
but I think Pburg will be the better team this year because Belfry lost too much

Why don't we just go ahead and say P'burg gave us all of the wins in the 5 straight times we've defeated them.

BTW....If I could I would put two rings on that little finger thats wagging just to help prove my point.

Imagine this :? :? with two big, shiny, AA State Championship rings and a Pirate emblem engraved on them.

That would clearly show Prestonsburg had the better team the last two years and that all 4 of those losses (5 counting 2002) were fluke, shouldn't have happened, and by no means indicative of the superior team winning the football game.

Now, I'm usually not one to brag, but stop with the lame excuses and start calling a spade what it is......a spade.

Too bad 2A wasnt as weak in 01 ... because the Pburg team that year was one of the best to ever come out of the mountains.. the past 2 years were WEAK

Have to disagree with ya on that one 15th......

2A has always been dominated by Northern & Western KY. However, since Danville dropped to Class A, AA has been pretty much owned by the Mountain Schools.....except for the year that P'Burg lost to Bardstown.

Breathitt & Belfry have enjoyed much success in the AA level, both schools winning consecutive State Titles....

Prestonsburg will have theirs someday....Patience is a virtue 8)
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:

And they got thumped (nicest word I can think of) in the championship game. Belfry '03 or '04 would have ate that team alive. Write that down.

But if it makes you feel better, they did beat us twice that year. But no rings came of it. :?:
:lol:

I'd love to see a State Title game between Belfry & Prestonsburg, that would be awesome !!!

This is the kind of conversation I love....and the best (worst) part is football season is still months away, and the Belfry/Prestonsburg game is the buzz already....I love it !

All you Blackcat fans.....although both sides may talk trash (its all for fun)...

This Belfry fan respects your program, and I know alot of other Piratefans do as well. When the time comes that Prestonsburg plays for a State Title, I'll be cheering you guys on to bring it home to the mountains. But, Until then I am a Pirate through and through ! 8) Idea :!: :?: :twisted:
More people needs to be like yourself BP.....I am the same way with Belfry, IF pburg is out of it and Belfry is there to bring the title home to the mountains again then GO PIRATES but like you said until Pburg gets beat then go Blackcats 8)
I may live in Central Ky now, but my heart will always be in the mountains........ 8)
HappyGilmore Wrote:
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:

And they got thumped (nicest word I can think of) in the championship game. Belfry '03 or '04 would have ate that team alive. Write that down.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Smile Big Grin

But if it makes you feel better, they did beat us twice that year. But no rings came of it. :?:
BelfryPride Wrote::lol:

I'd love to see a State Title game between Belfry & Prestonsburg, that would be awesome !!!

This is the kind of conversation I love....and the best (worst) part is football season is still months away, and the Belfry/Prestonsburg game is the buzz already....I love it !

All you Blackcat fans.....although both sides may talk trash (its all for fun)...

This Belfry fan respects your program, and I know alot of other Piratefans do as well. When the time comes that Prestonsburg plays for a State Title, I'll be cheering you guys on to bring it home to the mountains. But, Until then I am a Pirate through and through ! 8) Idea :!: :?: :twisted:

I have went to state both years to cheer for Belfry.. I'm like you.. I support the mountain teams and the Belfry/Pburg games are always the best
Thanks 15th........We had alot of support from most of the local schools....especially Prestonsburg. We had some Prestongburg fans traveling with us to Louisville. We had a great time.
wow lol
after reading this, i've got to go 2 the belfry vs. p-burg game...... sounds like it'll be one hell of a game!
Its always a battle when we play. There is a mutual respect between Belfry & Prestonsburg, but there's no love lost. In my opinion its the best game in the state. I would bet in eash of our two games with P'burg last year there were 10,000 ppl or more in the stands, on the hillsides,on top of the band room and around the fences....it was a magical atmosphere.
yea the nite after that game, i talked to some p-burg fans, they said it was a show to behold......
isn't the Trinity and St.X game supposedly the biggest rivalry in the state? after that i'd say the next biggest rivalry game is between Paintsville and JC
I would have to rank Belfry/Prestonsburg right up there with Danville/Boyle, Breathitt/Middlesboro, Belfry/Pikeville (1980's - 1990's)

I love rivalry games.

The thing about Belfry/Prestonsburg is that the game is for the control of the District going into the playoffs. Its always a playoff atmosphere even when we play in early October.
I'd say so... this years game between us and Paintsville should get pretty heated considering they're supposed to have a bunch of returning starters
I don't think Painstville will come close this year to pikeville. Our jv should get a few plays in that game. Smile
expikeplayer Wrote:I don't think Painstville will come close this year to pikeville. Our jv should get a few plays in that game. Smile

OUCH!! Smile

All I got to say is bring it back to the Mountains whether its Belfry or Pburg!! 8)
expikeplayer Wrote:I don't think Painstville will come close this year to pikeville. Our jv should get a few plays in that game. Smile

Interesting statement......
THERE IS NO DOUBT BOTH OF THESE TEAMS WILL BE TOUGH BUT YOU KNOW WHEN THAT SEA OF ANGRY RED POURS INTO PBURG YOU BETTER LOOK OUT!!!!!!!! I JUST HOPE PBURG PLAYS A PERFECT GAME BECAUSE ALL YOU SEE ON HERE IS "IF THIS" AND"IF THAT" THAT WAY THEY HAVE NO EXCUSES ABOUT GETTING BEAT BY A BETTER TEAM.
THERE IS NO DOUBT BOTH OF THESE TEAMS WILL BE TOUGH BUT YOU KNOW WHEN THAT SEA OF ANGRY RED POURS INTO PBURG YOU BETTER LOOK OUT!!!!!!!! I JUST HOPE PBURG PLAYS A PERFECT GAME BECAUSE ALL YOU SEE ON HERE IS "IF THIS" AND"IF THAT" THAT WAY THEY HAVE NO EXCUSES ABOUT GETTING BEAT BY A BETTER TEAM.
"BelfryPride" Wrote:[quote="Blackcat Pride"] But then again the past two years in the playoffs all youve had to do is beat us and after that it has been a cakewalk.quote]

Well, I do know for a fact that after we beat P'Burg to advance over the last two years...It has been anything but a cakewalk....

Here is the teams that we had to play after Prestonsburg to win the State Titles....not exactly cupcakes if you ask me... Smile

2003 Playoffs

@ Middlesboro (11-1)
@ Lloyd Memorial (9-4)
vs. Elizabethtown (12-2)

2004 Playoffs

vs. Russell (13-0)
vs. Owensboro Catholic (10-1)

there was a lot of talent on these teams by no means were they cakewalks, chris todd(texas tech) zach bernard(marshall) zipp duncan(uk) blake bowling(also uk but walkon) and there are several of these players going to quality "small" schools like georgetown(josh gross daniel meko) but then again i guess these schools are looking to become cakewalks themselves :roll:
torQQue Wrote:

OUCH!! Smile

All I got to say is bring it back to the Mountains whether its Belfry or Pburg!! 8)

I've been looking around the mountains boys and the team I see to beat is Sheldon Clark..... They're back and that's bad news for some of our 15th region foes.... Well, I said they were back, actually they were only gone one year, but they’ll be the surprise team..... Ole man in the mountain
Prestonsburg "GAVE" nothing away to Belfry last year. It was commented that Pburg has let 3 games slip through their fingers...I disagree. The playoff game from 2003 was Belfry's to lose...the Pirates played a subpar game and that was arguably the bets Blackcat performance of the season.

The regional final game last year also was a game that I felt Belfry kept in hand throughout. The Pirates established their tempo, the Pirates forced P-burg to play their style, and the Pirates sealed the deal and the Blackcats fate. Prestonsburg went completely away from what was working for them as Compton became a one way threat, instead of a two way threat. The Blackcat success came solely through hitting their tight ends, stretching Belfry deep with Ousley, THEN utilizing the run. That second half Pburg displayed no apparent signs of a passing game and played right into Belfry's strength\, the running game. It also forced a Blackcat team full of two way players to play a more smashmouth style which proved fatal against a Belfry line that was in much better shape.

I will agree that the first meeting last season was a game the Blackcats appaeared to be a better team. But, that regional final game was proof that Belfry was clearly the best team by season's end.
ole man in the mountain Wrote:
torQQue Wrote:

OUCH!! Smile

I've been looking around the mountains boys and the team I see to beat is Sheldon Clark..... They're back and that's bad news for some of our 15th region foes.... Well, I said they were back, actually they were only gone one year, but they’ll be the surprise team..... Ole man in the mountain

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU SMOKIN :o
From what i saw when we played P Burg last night at the Grid, and what i saw out of Belfrey vs Pulaski, i think that there is no doubt in my mind that P Burg will beat belfrey, but it will be close!!!
RowanFalcon67 Wrote:From what i saw when we played P Burg last night at the Grid, and what i saw out of Belfrey vs Pulaski, i think that there is no doubt in my mind that P Burg will beat belfrey, but it will be close!!!

EVERYBODY HAS THIER OWN OPINION BUT THOSE OF US CLOSE TO THIS GREAT RIVALRY KNOW THAT THERE IS NO USE IN PREDICTING THIS ONE BASED ON A SCRIMMAGE ITS BEST TO JUST WAIT TILL THE DUST SETTLES BECAUSE THESE TWO REALLY GO AFTER EACH OTHER
qleft7.gif
Pburg and Belfry is always a war. Shouldnt be no different this year.
I think Belfry has their work cut out for them. But, I believe Haywood will have them ready for what promises to be another classic battle. [smiley poster=zwinker:126c9ed1ab]Beat Blackcats[/smiley:126c9ed1ab]
pretty_pirate_lady Wrote:I think Belfry has their work cut out for them. But, I believe Haywood will have them ready for what promises to be another classic battle. [smiley poster=zwinker:c846df8427]Beat Blackcats[/smiley:c846df8427]

8) 8)